Thread: Unregulated Cases versus Regulated Cases for Private Investigators and Case Examiners

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Unregulated Cases versus Regulated Cases for Private Investigators and Case Examiners

IPIU issues a PI Union License (Photo-Credentials card for private investigators), which monitors your conduct for potential unlawful activities you may commit. It is not a "state" PI license.

Although state licensed private investigators have their own pocket ID card and are not required to request the PI Union License, many licensed PI Members do choose to order the PI Union License as a secondary photo identification credential. The PI Union License (Photo Credentials Card) is typically issued to unregulated private investigators in a regulated state and does not apply to Licensing Requirements for regulated private investigators in a regulated state (even though all members can order the card).

Go to the main PI Licensing Laws Forum and look for your State Topic. Then read the numerous exemptions in the first comment of any regulated state topic which details the exemptions - also known as unregulated types of private investigator cases - in order to work in a regulated state without being required to obtain their own state PI License.

For regulated private investigators who are state-licensed:
    Their identification card and professional conduct is monitored by the state on a regular basis to insure the licensee's activity is within the standards of their acceptable conduct to continue to carry a current state license.

For unregulated private investigators who are not required to be state-licensed:
    The PI Union License (Photo Credentials) also monitors the professional conduct of it's holder for potential unlawful activities while performing unregulated private investigation cases. "State-licensed PI's" can carry both cards, and use the PI Union License for unregulated cases in order to lawfully carry a badge (which in some states is only permitted by unregulated private investigators). See the Badge Licensing Laws forum for your state.

To discuss the additional merits of the PI Union License, go to the Trainee Forums and review the appropriate topics which have been discussed for the last several years.

Also, all states allow a trainee to work for a licensed agency and perform "basic tasks" that do not require a license if those tasks fall within the exemptions of unregulated cases, such as pulling or reviewing records for a background investigation or working the basic elements of a missing person case.

Both licenses serve a different purpose.

A state issued license is the ultimate goal that affirms you have typically earned the privilege after thousands of hours and years on-the-job to qualify for the state-license. It is then monitored to insure your ongoing professional conduct serving clients.

The PI Union License is also monitored for professional conduct - and if necessary, is cancelled with notification to all referred firms who are employing the person that an unlawful activity has occurred for the holder of the PI Union License.

Why licensed private investigators may choose to perform unregulated cases:
    A licensed private investigator in many states is not permitted to carry a badge while performing a regulated case, such as surveillance. Therefore, a licensed PI who performs standard background checks, locating missing persons, obtaining court records, performing integrity assignments for other companies, and other unregulated activities can use a lawful custom badge and approved business card in their performance. They are not subject to the licensing statutes because many of their activities are unregulated.

Why unlicensed private investigators are permitted to carry a custom badge & business card while performing unregulated cases:
    For the similar reasons, unlicensed private investigators (such as private investigators who work for a criminal or civil attorney, or work in any exempted capacity) can choose to carry an approved custom badge and business card as long as their activity is exempted from regulation by their state licensing board. In most states, mystery shopping is exempt, and therefore shoppers can carry an approved custom badge and business card if they choose to.

Furthermore, IPIU also provides an optional upgrade LIFETIME CORPORATE membership for those who wish to bypass the typical waiting period of three (3) years and 6000 hours of experience - in order to acquire their own agency license within a few weeks. It is designed for newcomers who wish to obtain a licensed private investigator who will sponsor their newcomer's licensed agency. No prior experience is required.

If you wish to know what a Case Examiner is versus a Private Investigator: CLICK HERE

Thank you for the edification, Mr. Copeland.
    Dabra J Grant "DJ"
    "Knowledge is Power." Francis Bacon

Petra Post - is offline Retired Administrator
    ***** Certified SPI

Former Insignio Distinguished Member:
    Thanks David,
    This has helped me with my question reg/unreg. I appreciate you posting it.

I didn't know the difference between reg/unreg private investigators, but now I do. As soon as the opportunity presents itself for me, I will like to obtain my license.
    Sincerely,

Latisha Smith

James Bone Guest

Regulated or Unregulated

If I am reading this correct, you can do PI work in a regulated state if you are doing something from the No License Needed exemption list, but ultimately you want to obtain your own PI license. Thanks MR. Copeland for your post on this.

This really answered a lot of questions I had...great info!

Thanks!

Gretchen

Omar Castro is offline ** Certified

Sr. Member - Private Investigators Forum:
    Union Member of the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

As always.

Thanks, sir.
    You are the best when it comes to basic, simple clarification and I most definitely appreciate this.
    O.A.C.V. Sr.

Genaro D Siliezar is offline *** Certified
    Federal Civil Anti-Piracy Operative

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Hello David,

This information is great, most of us do not have knowledge of it and are wondering without asking questions. I think is great to know this kind of information.

thanks again

Genaro

Thanks for the great info, David!

Good clear definitions. Thank you for the clarifications. This is a topic we should all be aware of.

Chezareus Jones is offline **
    Agency Corporation Owner

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Re: Unregulated versus Regulated Private Investigators

Hello,
    I'm still a little confused on regulated and unregulated.. doing cases on cheating spouses. what does that fall under. can someone clear this up for me?
    Thanks

Ron

Petra Post - is offline Retired Administrator
    ***** Certified SPI

Former Insignio Distinguished Member:

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
    Hello,
    I'm still a little confused on regulated and unregulated.. doing cases on cheating spouses. what does that fall under. can someone clear this up for me?
    Thanks

Ron
    Ron,

You would have to check your state licensing for the answer on this. Look for the paragraph where it may state that certain 'jobs' are exempt... Good luck

Charles January is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

*** Certified SPI

Corporate Agency Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

This is very good information and thank you petra your great