Thread: Cannot view personal profiles of members or User CP?

Cannot view personal profiles of members?

POLICY:

1) Changing your Personal Profile requires the signing of your Code of Ethics and other membership documents. After such, you will be upgraded to Level 3.

2) Because of our privacy statement - viewing personal profiles of other members is not permitted until we have a signed Code of Ethics. If the personal information were made availabe to the public without this safeguard, then a member's personal profile information could be used unlawfully.

TO: Technical Support

Hello Technical Support:

I am level 4. Previously I was able to view profiles; however, this week I have been unable to view my own profile or other forum member profiles. Apparently, something has changed.

Also, I should have access to the AB Test Forum. However,
    I am not able to gain access to this forum.

I noticed that some of the other forum members are also unable to view profiles. They reported it in the following thread:

Private Investigator Forums > LEISURE - LIFESTYLE - ENTERTAINMENT - Miscellaneous > After Hours Lounge - Friendly Off-Topic Discussions! > Your Access may have changed today

Thanks for your assistance in this matter.
    Bridgett Brown

Badge #6997

I passed my test and turned in all of my papers, and was told my referral letters would be out soon, but I can't access to change my profile either. And, I don't know what level I am since I found out this problem.

Shannon Marble is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Union Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    I am in the same boat. I turned everything in, test, paid dues and got letter back that I was a level 4 and I cannot access what I should be able to.

I'm having similar problems, I'm still at a level 1, but last week was able to edit my options in the cp, I can't do anything now. Not real sure why this is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgett Brown
    Hello Technical Support:

I am level 4. Previously I was able to view profiles; however, this week I have been unable to view my own profile or other forum member profiles. Apparently, something has changed.
    We are working on the problem. The new software upgrade had some flaws. Allow another 1-2 weeks.

The AB test forum is closed. It may be open from time to time for those that have failed the test 4 times and need extra help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon Marble
    I am in the same boat. I turned everything in, test, paid dues and got letter back that I was a level 4 and I cannot access what I should be able to.
    You have Level 4 access, and you need to follow these Level 4 assignment instructions here:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=4856

Bob;

I assume the same software problems keep me from privately e-mailing other members?

Fred (level 4)

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Budde
    Bob;

I assume the same software problems keep me from privately e-mailing other members?

Fred (level 4)
    Frederick,

The reason why you are unable to privately email other members is because members are not allowed to email other.

Jamie
    Jamie Van Hook
    Agent Relations

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    BBB A+ Rating Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 28th Year Serving 47,932 Members
    CALL IPIU TODAY TO JOIN: 406-534-0251

Jamie;
    Thanks for the information. Perhaps we should disable the drop-down box with that option?

Fred

Frederick,

If you would like you can suggest your idea in SUGGESTION BOX
    here is the link http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...7&page=1&pp=30

Jamie
    Jamie Van Hook
    Agent Relations

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    BBB A+ Rating Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 28th Year Serving 47,932 Members
    CALL IPIU TODAY TO JOIN: 406-534-0251

Cannot access public profiles

Hello Technical Support:

I noticed that some of the other forum members are also unable to view profiles. They reported it in the following thread:

Private Investigator Forums > LEISURE - LIFESTYLE - ENTERTAINMENT - Miscellaneous > After Hours Lounge - Friendly Off-Topic Discussions! > Your Access may have changed today

Thanks for your assistance in this matter.
    I saw this thread today, and noted your post was on March 3rd of this year.
    It is now May 14th I still can't access profiles and although I have made my e-mail address accessable, I have yet been able to see e-mail adresses for anyone.
    Is there still a glitch?
    I have been wondering about this since the site was upgraded a couple of weeks ago, when I came across this topic this morning.
    Also the reputation system for trainees is rather oblique to me. How is it configured, where is it found, is it the "so & so on a distinguished path, or off the scale' icon?

Any further 411 would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance for info.
    Les Reid

I don't see "Need a Private Investigator/Attorney Forum" and "Private Citizens who need a PI" topics. Have they been removed?

Bill Wacyk

Quote Originally Posted by William Wacyk
    I don't see "Need a Private Investigator/Attorney Forum" and "Private Citizens who need a PI" topics. Have they been removed?

Bill Wacyk
    They are in the private forums now.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Reid
    It is now May 14th I still can't access profiles and although I have made my e-mail address accessable, I have yet been able to see e-mail adresses for anyone.
    Members can now access their personal profile by going to the top of any forum page and click on the button titled USER CP.

Don Murphy Guest
    It is too bad that the personal message option in the forums is disabled.

Thumbs down Access to public profiles

Quote Originally Posted by Legal Affairs
    Members can now access their personal profile by going to the top of any forum page and click on the button titled USER CP.
    That still does not resolve the question of the ability of members to access the public profiles of other members, while although not crucial it assists members in determing the skills set and common purposes or goals of others.
    Was ther a reason for that change in policy?

I realize that some would prefer not to have their profiles veiwed publicly, fine, they do have that option.
    However ther may be members who would like to stay in touch with others for info sharing on a private level.

Any members or staff care to add their views?

Les Reid

That still does not resolve the question of the ability of members to access the public profiles of other members, while although not crucial it assists members in determing the skills set and common purposes or goals of others.

I realize that some would prefer not to have their profiles veiwed publicly, fine, they do have that option.
    However ther may be members who would like to stay in touch with others for info sharing on a private level.

Any members or staff care to add their views?

Les Reid
    -----------------------------------------------
    Les,

I agree with you. I do miss being able to view the profiles of my fellow IPIU members here in the forum.

It would be nice to have the option where if we wanted our profiles viewable to other members, it would be viewable; and for those who do not want their profile viewable, it would not be viewable.

That's my opinion regarding this matter.
    Last edited by Bridgett Brown -; 05-19-2004 at 01:19 PM.
    Bridgett Brown

Badge #6997

Les,

Per our comments above, I have submitted a suggestion to IPIU regarding the viewing of member profiles.

Let's wait for their response.

Hi Birdgett

-----------------------------------------------
    Les,

I agree with you. I do miss being able to view the profiles of my fellow IPIU members here in the forum.

It would be nice to have the option where if we wanted our profiles viewable, they would be viewable; and for those who do not want their profile viewable, it would not be viewable.

That's my opinion regarding this matter.
    Hi Bridgett!! Great to have you in the IPIU family. If I can assist in any way, give a holler. Course, you'll probably be able to assist me better than I you.

Anway, I agree with your statement. I was viewing some other members who were police officers, or somewhere in that field, and I was wanting to see their background and discuss, with them, war stories or just getting acquainted.

Oh well! At least we rose some dust.

Regards
    Bill

Petra Post - is offline Retired Administrator
    ***** Certified SPI

Former Insignio Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum
    Also the reputation system for trainees is rather oblique to me. How is it configured, where is it found, is it the "so & so on a distinguished path, or off the scale' icon?
    Les Reid
    Les,
    This is one of the only questions to mod's or admin that I haven't got answered yet... Inquiring minds want to know...

Happy 4th of July everybody... keep up the good work

Yes. It's called spam and unsolicited invasion of privacy through access to the public forums.

Additionally, many of the items listed in the public profile are completed during the confidential online registration application to become a Level 1 member. New members have gotten shocked later to find that their profiles were open to anyone.

Our agenda is to provide a better public profile for union members, and one of the options is to provide them with a free home page for private investigators.

Another idea is to simply improve the profile coding so that not all of the information becomes public. Code changes take time, but tech support is working on it.

In the meantime, any member who wishes to publicly post their profile may do so in their Introduction Topic (within the the Forum Rules).

The internet can be a blessing, but it can also be a curse to those who do not want some stranger showing up on their doorstep at midnight unannounced.

In the meantime, any member who wishes to publicly post their profile may do so in their Introduction Topic (within the the Forum Rules).

Why don't we establish a seperate forum where we can (if we wish) exchange information, or at least post contact info?

***** Certified SPI

Good evening admin,

I read a similar answer to this particular question in another thread before. Thanks for setting us straight again. You all are so patient with us newbies (even if the questions are repeats). I totally understand that you just do this to protect our privacy, just please understand that we are all so excited about being part of IPIU, we sometimes tend to forget, too.

Fred, welcome back...
    haven't seen you around in a while... Hope things are good for you? I heard my manual is on the way now and I can't wait (yes, I can, lol)... See you on level 4 soon. Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Post
    Good evening admin,

I read a similar answer to this particular question in another thread before. Thanks for setting us straight again. You all are so patient with us newbies (even if the questions are repeats). I totally understand that you just do this to protect our privacy, just please understand that we are all so excited about being part of IPIU, we sometimes tend to forget, too.

Fred, welcome back...
    haven't seen you around in a while... Hope things are good for you? I heard my manual is on the way now and I can't wait (yes, I can, lol)... See you on level 4 soon. Take care.
    Hi Petra;
    Yes, I've been very busy with the new job, house-hunting, etc. I see you've been busy on the forums; great job! I've been going over some past posts and see how much you help the new members get oriented. No one may say it, but I'm sure it's very much appreciated. Have a great day (looking at your posting figure, you're probably on the computer right now!)

***** Certified SPI

Fred,
    Thank you for your kind words. I love helping out. Ever thought of relocating? I got some nice houses available in my neighborhood... It's warmer here, too, lol... And you'll be in good company. My hubby is a northerner, too. From near Albany. Take care and see you around...

Fred,
    Thank you for your kind words. I love helping out. Ever thought of relocating? I got some nice houses available in my neighborhood... It's warmer here, too, lol... And you'll be in good company. My hubby is a northerner, too. From near Albany. Take care and see you around...
    Don't tell me you do real estate as well? Believe it or not, Georgia is on my short list of retirement areas. Right now I'm in southern New Jersey, working with the Federal Air Marshal Service.

***** Certified SPI

Fred,
    No, lol... I am not in real estate. Yet. But what are friends for, I could always look up what you are interested in... I wouldn't mind... My Fred was going to retire me in North Dakota.... brrrr... not... (sounds funny, retire me...lol). I still have 2 grandbabies in Jersey. We go there a couple of times a year to visit... Let me know if I can help you there one day... See you around.

Fred,
    No, lol... I am not in real estate. Yet. But what are friends for, I could always look up what you are interested in... I wouldn't mind... My Fred was going to retire me in North Dakota.... brrrr... not... (sounds funny, retire me...lol). I still have 2 grandbabies in Jersey. We go there a couple of times a year to visit... Let me know if I can help you there one day... See you around.
    Petra, I cracked up when you wrote about Fred "retiring you" I'd love the help, but even my Petra can't get into the building! Love that security

***** Certified SPI

Fred,
    lol... no, I meant if you need help in finding a home in this here fine Georgia... I would help you out... I believe that there is great security where you are at... see, I could never get clearance, I think, because I am still german nationality... I also was not able to become a LEO because of that... I really never thought of it a must, to change nationality, because I am allowed to do just about anything like this (besides voting)... and the earlier mentioned... so there... see ya
    ... and it was South Dakota (Fred saw the post and refreshed my memory, lol)
    Last edited by Petra Post -; 07-09-2004 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Budde

Why don't we establish a seperate forum where we can (if we wish) exchange information, or at least post contact info?
    Please read the response in the other topic titled SUGGESTIONS in the tech support forum.

Flora Porter is offline * Certified SPI
    Distinguished Member of Private Investigators Forum

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Jefferson
    POLICY:

1) Changing your Personal Profile requires the signing of your Code of Ethics and other membership documents. After such, you will be upgraded to Level 3.

2) Because of our privacy statement - viewing personal profiles of other members is not permitted until we have a signed Code of Ethics. If the personal information were made availabe to the public without this safeguard, then a member's personal profile information could be used unlawfully.
    Hey thanks for letting me know this iformation.

Flora

Anne Friedland - is offline PI Agency Corporation Owner
    FBI Liason

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    WHEW!!!! I thought it was just me!!!! Another testimomial to reading the forums completely!

Re: Cannot view personal profiles of members or User CP?

when i try to send private message to another, it want let me, what should i do? thanks fredrick napper

i have sent a copy of my signed c.o.e when i first joined in 2003 and im at level 4 ??? thanks fredrick

Jim Harrington is offline Private Investigator

Distinguished Member

Regular members don't have access to that feature here on IPIU's forums. You have to be level 5 or a moderator or administrator...

ok, thanks jim, sorry to bother. fredrick