Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Florida Laws

Donna Coleman-- is offline *
    Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigator Forum Member

2004 - 2008 Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Florida Laws

Here is some information I found on the web site here in Florida regarding some violations for those who reside in florida I hope this helps

Violations
    The Department is responsible for enforcing the provisions of Chapter 493, F.S. and initiating administrative action when violations occur. The following are examples of violations which are prohibited by law and may result in administrative action such as a fine, probation, revocation or suspension of license.

Private investigators may be subject to disciplinary action for fraud, deceit, negligence, incompetency, or misconduct in the practice of regulated activities.

Carrying a firearm without a Class "G" Statewide Firearm License
    Failure to maintain a $300,000 general liability insurance policy
    Willfully betraying a professional secret or releasing unauthorized investigative information
    Impersonating or permitting an investigative employee to impersonate a law enforcement officer or employee of the state
    Using force or acts of violence except in the lawful protection of the licensee or another from physical harm
    The use of badges, credentials or identification cards which include any portion of the Great Seal of Florida or badges in the shape of a five-pointed star
    Operating without a license

Distinguished Member:

2004 - 2008 Member of:
    Here is something else I found on those exempt from having a license

Exemptions
    Those who are considered exempt from licensing include:
    "In-house" investigators who are solely, exclusively, and regularly employed as an investigator in connection with the business of an employer that does not advertise or provide investigative services for a fee
    Active law enforcement officers while engaged in his or her official duties
    Insurance investigators or adjusters licensed by the Florida Department of Insurance
    Those who exclusively furnish investigative information about the financial standing, habits, and responsibilities of applicants for insurance, indemnity bonds or commercial credit
    Attorneys in the regular practice of their profession
    Banks, credit unions, loan companies, and consumer credit reporting agencies
    Persons holding professional licenses in Florida when providing expert advice in their professions
    Those providing investigative services solely and exclusively for any United States agency

Greetins Donna,

Good information. Written in clear to understand language.

Thank you for taking the time to list it.

Sincerely,

Distinguished Member:

2004 - 2008 Member of:
    Hi Bryan no problem at all I just wanted to know myself and I have been reading what others have wrote about laws in their state. I just wanted to provide this information to those trainees here in florida just in case they were unsure. I am glad that I could post some valuable information. Have a great weekend

Greetings Donna,

You have a great weekend as well.

I was wondering if a collection agency is exempt under the Florida Statutes? You were looking at them pretty hard. Did you see that as one of the exemptions from a PI license?

Sincerely,
    Bryan McManis

Distinguished Member:

2004 - 2008 Member of:
    An investigator may conduct business outside his or her home state ONLY under the circumstances indicated below.

The investigation must be initiated in the investigator's home state.
    The investigator may spend no more than 30 days PER CASE while conducting an investigation in another state. (NOTE THE EXCEPTIONS BELOW!)
    The investigator is prohibited from soliciting business while in another state and from establishing a business or setting up residence while conducting and investigation in that state.

LIST OF RECIPROCITY STATES

The following states have mutually agreed to recognize the right of private investigators to conduct interstate business:

CALIFORNIA*

GEORGIA

LOUISIANA

NORTH CAROLINA

OKLAHOMA

TENNESSEE*

VIRGINIA

* NOTE:
    California allows out-of-state investigators UP TO 60 DAYS per case.
    Tennessee limits the amount of time an out-of-state investigator may spend conducting an investigation to NO MORE THAN 15 DAYS per case.

Distinguished Member:

2004 - 2008 Member of:
    Bryan, I will research and see what I can find on collection agencies and post it here

Distinguished Member:

2004 - 2008 Member of:

collection agency

Bryan, I don't know if this will answer your question about if a collection agency needs a licence to practice but I found this bit of information. Registration

4. (1) No person shall carry on the business of a collection agency or act as a collector unless the person is registered by the Registrar under this Act. R.S.O. 1990, c. C.14, s. 4 (1).

Name and place of business

(2) A registered collection agency shall not carry on business in a name other than the name in which it is registered or invite the public to deal at a place other than that authorized by the registration. R.S.O. 1990, c. C.14, s. 4 (2).

Distinguished Member:

2004 - 2008 Member of:

Yes they do need a licence

Bryan I kept searching and yes you need a licence to be a collection agency here is what I found

Prohibition

5 (1) Except as may be otherwise permitted under this Act, or the regulations, no person shall

(a) carry on business as a collection agency unless he is the holder of a licence as a collection agency; or

(b) act as a collector unless he is the holder of a licence as a collector of a licensed collection agency.

Distinguished Member:

2004 - 2008 Member of:
    Bryan, I did one last check on the florida website www.dbf.state.fl.us/licensing and under the title of online licensing services there was a place for a collection agency to renew their licence so these agencies are not exempt under florida laws for having thier licence so if I were to work for a collection agency as a PI I am guessing I would be licenced under their agency to do work. I hope this is what you were asking

Awsome Work!

Originally posted by Donna Coleman
    Bryan, I did one last check on the florida website www.dbf.state.fl.us/licensing and under the title of online licensing services there was a place for a collection agency to renew their licence so these agencies are not exempt under florida laws for having thier licence so if I were to work for a collection agency as a PI I am guessing I would be licenced under their agency to do work. I hope this is what you were asking
    Greetings Donna,

You did some amazing work on this subject. You went above the call of duty to say the least.

I wanted to thank you for the time that you put into this subject. It is very informative. I will expand my own research on this subject and make any posts when and if I find out anything else.

May you find Favor here in the forums and all areas of your life. You are going to do very well in any area that you chose to work in.

Sincerely,

Bryan McManis

Distinguished Member:

2004 - 2008 Member of:

Thank You

Bryan, thanks for the kind words. When you asked the question I could not let it rest until I found the answer. I don't like to leave something unfinished. I think that is part of being an investigator researching information no matter what. I am ready to get into this new career change but I also know there is plenty to learn and read. Have a great week and I will be looking forward to any other posts you may have on this topic.

Florida law

Does anyone know if living in the state of FL, you can search for people on your own from home for someone else without having a license? Also, is it required to have a firearm or does it just depend on your line of work?

Karen McQuilken is offline Private Investigators Forum Member

Member since 2003:
    KIm- anyone can do background checks on people. One does not need to be a PI to do so. But the real secret is to know where to get your information and do research. As far as a firearm, you do need a"G" license to carry one in the state of Florida. hope this helps, and good luck!!!
    Karen McQuilken

Badge# 7016

Karen.

Do you know where the best place is to do background checks? Say if I were going to be hiring people for a job what's the best way to check their background or if you suspect a person has a criminal record.

Thanks,

Kim Barker

Member since 2003:
    There are many good sites out there. One I enjoy is www.find.intelius.com. Good luck!!
    Karen McQuilken

Badge# 7016

Originally posted by Karen McQuilken
    There are many good sites out there. One I enjoy is www.find.intelius.com. Good luck!!
    Greetings Karen,

I tried to access this link and could not do it. Let me know if this is the correct address.

Sincerely,
    Bryan McManis

Member since 2003:
    Bryan- I'm sorry. The web page is www.intelius.com. good luck!!!
    Karen McQuilken

Badge# 7016

Originally posted by Karen McQuilken
    Bryan- I'm sorry. The web page is www.intelius.com. good luck!!!
    Greetings Karen,

Thank you for taking the time to correct the site information.

All the best,

Omar Castro is offline ** Certified

Sr. Member - Private Investigators Forum:
    Union Member of the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Thank you very much too!

It is very informative all the information provided. Now if only we can get clients so we can make some money... Where online can we find them or what?

I am a new trainee from Florida so this information is very helpful to me. Thank you all so much for your time and efforts.

Joe Krause

Hi Donna,

That information was very helpful. I am awaiting my papers so I can become a trainee. New to upui and am looking forward to becoming a full fledged PI. I currently reside in NJ and am relocating to FL in August.

Again thanks for taking the time to find the info and pass it along.

Sidney Zisser

Carmen Acai is offline *** Certified

Sr. Moderator
    Certified Distinguished Member
    Private Investigators Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidney Zisser
    Hi Donna,

That information was very helpful. I am awaiting my papers so I can become a trainee. New to upui and am looking forward to becoming a full fledged PI. I currently reside in NJ and am relocating to FL in August.

Again thanks for taking the time to find the info and pass it along.

Sidney Zisser
    Welcome to IPIU, Sidney. Because you are a new member, I would like you to go here: http://www.ipiu.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45 and post our introduction topic. We will join you in there and get you started with the first useful links you need to look at. Meanwhile, you can keep browsing these Forums you can access at your level while enjoing your reading.

Great information here. As a new member, these types of threads from the veteran members are a wonderful sourc of information. Thanks to all who contribute!

Can we do online research and investigating in FL without being licensed?

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Barker
    Can we do online research and investigating in FL without being licensed?
    Please read the PI LICENSING LAWS for FLORIDA in the LICENSING FORUM FOR PI LICENSES.

Wow,
    I wish all the states would write their laws in easy to understand english so the people would know what is expected of them. Great information here.

Florida Laws

Quote Originally Posted by Donna Coleman
    Here is something else I found on those exempt from having a license

Exemptions
    Those who are considered exempt from licensing include:
    "In-house" investigators who are solely, exclusively, and regularly employed as an investigator in connection with the business of an employer that does not advertise or provide investigative services for a fee
    Active law enforcement officers while engaged in his or her official duties
    Insurance investigators or adjusters licensed by the Florida Department of Insurance
    Those who exclusively furnish investigative information about the financial standing, habits, and responsibilities of applicants for insurance, indemnity bonds or commercial credit
    Attorneys in the regular practice of their profession
    Banks, credit unions, loan companies, and consumer credit reporting agencies
    Persons holding professional licenses in Florida when providing expert advice in their professions
    Those providing investigative services solely and exclusively for any United States agency
    I have been taking criminal justice courses I am just 26 credits short of my AA. I used a lot of college credits from other areas that were excepted in this field that I had previously earned. although I have two years of college I still have to put in one year of internship. I have read many posts on aqcuiring this I am about to go and hit the beaten path to hhit PI's doorsteps to gain my intership credit. Florida has some tough standards but I believe it is to better serve residents here in Florida. If anyone has any fresh advice I would love to hear it.
    Roberta Bryant

Former Protective Services Agent - US Army
    International Private Investigator

Executive Agency Owner Member - IPIU
    Great info. Thank all of you for taking the time to research these topics, and post it on the forum for the rest of us. I am currently living in Germany, but will be returning to Florida to live very soon. I found this information most helpful. Enjoy your weekend.

Thanks for all of the information, very clear and thorough. But, what I want to know from individuals in florida is " Do you think it is a good idea to carry a pi badge in florida

Thanks for all of this information. I'm almost perectly clear on the licensing laws down here in Florida. Yeah, I'm an implant from Tennessee.

Steven D Mahan - is offline *** Certified SPI
    Sr. Member: Private Investigators Forum

Professional Management Member of:
    Great Information,florida Laws Change All The Time,thank You For The Update.

Hi,
    I am trying to help someone locate their mother in Florida. I am doing this for free.
    I am located in Maryland so I am having a little difficulty on getting information at this time. IF ANYONE COULD PLEASE HELP ME I WOULD REALLY BE GRATEFUL. If there is anyone out there with advice for me or any investigators that are located in Florida please let me know. Thank You very much.
    Sincerely,
    Maria Beecher

Steven D Mahan - is offline *** Certified SPI
    Sr. Member: Private Investigators Forum

Professional Management Member of:
    Hi Maria,if Your Missing Person Is Around S.e. Florida,then I Can Try To Be Helpfull,

This is very helpful info, thank you.

I have one quick question though, from the first post of this thread (sorry I didn't see a spot to directly quote you):

Failure to maintain a $300,000 general liability insurance policy
    Does this apply to PI agencies as a whole or even to individuals that work for an acency (ie. does each individual PI need to have this coverage)?
    Chris Schoolcraft - taking the first steps on a long road...

"In a realm of the blind, the one-eyed man is king!"

Smile PI Insurance for FL

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Schoolcraft
    This is very helpful info, thank you.

I have one quick question though, from the first post of this thread (sorry I didn't see a spot to directly quote you):

Does this apply to PI agencies as a whole or even to individuals that work for an acency (ie. does each individual PI need to have this coverage)?
    Chris,
    I found this on the Florida's Division of License, Certification of Insurance from:

"Pursuant to Section 493.6110, Florida Statutes, a private investigative agency, a private security agency or a
    recovery agency must maintain continuous insurance coverage as a prerequisite for doing business in the State of
    Florida. As a person lawfully authorized to sell insurance in the State of Florida for an insurance company that is
    lawfully engaged to provide insurance coverage in Florida, I hereby certify that the below named agency licensed
    under Chapter 493, Florida Statutes, is presently insured in an amount of not less than $300,000 which includes
    comprehensive general liability coverage for death, bodily injury, property damage, and personal injury coverage
    including false arrest, detention or imprisonment, malicious prosecution, libel, slander, defamation of character and
    violation of the right of privacy. I further state that this policy insures for the liability for all agency employees
    required to be licensed by the State of Florida while engaged in activities pursuant to their employment."

Hope it helps, but from what it states, if you are the employ of an agency then you don't need the insurace but are covered. I'll post anything else I find on this subject.

Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Steven D Mahan
    Hi Maria,if Your Missing Person Is Around S.e. Florida,then I Can Try To Be Helpfull,

Hi Steven,
    Thank You very much for the offer. I have just closed this investigation. If you ever need anything please feel free to email me or post something on the boards. I see that you posted this in June and I just now received the email that I had a response and it is now the last day of July - I am sorry that it took me so long to respond to you. I don't know why (IPIU) it always takes so long to email people and let them know that they have a response from one of their postings.
    I want to THANK YOU once again.
    Sincerely,
    Maria

Donna Reagan is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified
    Quote Originally Posted by Maria Beecher
    I see that you posted this in June and I just now received the email that I had a response and it is now the last day of July - I am sorry that it took me so long to respond to you. I don't know why (IPIU) it always takes so long to email people and let them know that they have a response from one of their postings.
    Hi Maria,

Please check very carefully your AOL email settings. We have had enormous problems with AOL blocking or delaying our emails for the past 5 years, and is reason why most IPIU members use a Yahoo address.

There should be a setting to allow and permit ALL email from ipiu.org to come into your email box. AOL has it's own filters and spam blockers that are sometimes too restrictive.

Also, we have had some problems in the last month, which is not to say the issue was AOL alone.

If you wish to apply for a free upgrade to advertise a PI Email address assigned to you, read the following application topic:

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19427

Thanks,

Donna

Donna Reagan
    Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

Quote Originally Posted by Donna Reagan
    Hi Maria,

Please check very carefully your AOL email settings. We have had enormous problems with AOL blocking or delaying our emails for the past 5 years, and is reason why most IPIU members use a Yahoo address.

There should be a setting to allow and permit ALL email from ipiu.org to come into your email box. AOL has it's own filters and spam blockers that are sometimes too restrictive.

Also, we have had some problems in the last month, which is not to say the issue was AOL alone.

If you wish to apply for a free upgrade to advertise a PI Email address assigned to you, read the following application topic:

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19427

Thanks,

Donna
    Hi Donna,
    All my settings are fine.
    Thanks,
    Maria

Hugh Brown Jr is offline Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigator Forum Member Corporate Agency Owner

Professional Member of:
    Donna it sound like Floida is strict with there laws.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast