Thread: Non-Licensing States

Question Non-Licensing States

Hello group. I understand that a license w/IPIU is separate from a state license, but can it be used as a license in states that don't require a license. I live in Colorado which do not require PI's to be licensed. How does that work?

Hello John,

IPIU does not issue a government license. It issues a PI Union License (photo-credential ID card for private investigators).

Here is a quote that better defines the difference:

Originally posted by Julia Ann Stewart:

The Photo Credential Card that is issued to non-regulated private investigators in a regulated state does not apply to Licensing Requirements for regulated private investigators in a regulated state.

Read the numerous exemptions in the first comment of any regulated state topic that allows non-regulated private investigators to work in a regulated state without being required to obtain their own PI License.

For regulated private investigators who are licensed, their identification card is monitored through the FBI's NCIC wants and warrants database on a regular basis to insure the licensee's activity is within the standards of their acceptable conduct to continue to carry a current license.

For unregulated private investigators who are not required to be licensed, the IPIU Photo Credential card is also screened through the same wants and warrants database to insure your professional conduct while performing private investigations. There is no benefit to a "license PI" to have both cards. IPIU also accepts over 3000 other identifcation cards in the nation that are also monitored through the same database. To determine if a particular ID card meets the standard, send an email to ncic@ipiu.org for an automated reply.

To discuss the additional merits of the IPIU Photo Credentials, go to the Trainee Forums and review the appropriate topics that have been discussed for the last several years.

Also, all states allow a trainee to work for a licensed agency and perform "basic tasks" that do not require a license if those tasks fall within the exemptions, such as pulling or reviewing records for a background investigtation.

Both cards serve a different purpose. A state issued license is the ultimate goal that affirms you have typically earned the privilege after thousands of hours and years on the job to qualify for the license. It is then monitored to insure your ongoing professional conduct serving clients.

The IPIU Photo Credentials are also monitored to insure professional conduct - and if necessary, is cancelled with notification to all referred firms who are employing the person that a criminal warrant is outstanding for the person.

Futhermore, we also have a members only forum on how to start your own licensed agency with no personal PI experience.

A state PI license process can begin before you are assigned to an agency. You may wish to request the application now.

Other comments you raised about fingerprints, photos, and warrants:

Click here:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums//showthre...threadid=12129

do I have to have a license to work in California, or are my credentials enough?

Ashley
    AshleyMGLenn

Thanks

Thanks Mary Lynn. I appreciate the clarification.

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    John,

Your misconception about the licensing is the kind of issue that led to the discussion in the following thread.
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=14312
    The individual in that case did not have anyone like Mary Lynn Warner or Julia Ann Stewart to set them straight.

You just got some great advice. Listen to these ladies, they know what they are talking about.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:
    To All:

The thread I just referenced has been modified by the Moderators. There is a perceived problem with the information.

The message from my last post (listen to Julia Ann Stewart) is still valid.

The resolution or avoidance of the problem is to read until your eyes are ready to fall out.

Thanks

Thanks Michael, The advice that Mary Lynn gave was very beneficial. I appreciate all the support

Originally posted by Ashley M Glenn
    do I have to have a license to work in California, or are my credentials enough?

Ashley
    Please read the California Licensing Topic here:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=3679

Thanks for the information Ann!

Ashley
    AshleyMGLenn

What About Pi Licensing In Alabama? Do I Have One To Work In Alabama? Thanks Kenneth

Do I need a license for Private Investigation in the state of Michigan for undercover, surveillance,?

Thanks For The Information Mary Lynn; I'm Waiting On My Paper Work From Ipiu!!

Hi , i live in a tri-state area. i was wondering which states i would need a license for. i live in maine, but near the new hampshire and mass. border. Thank-you. also can i train in any of these states with out any licenses or certifications.

Raul Taibo is offline *
    Private Investigator Member:
    Hi all:
    Just joined the forums and I am relocating to Colorado.
    Noticed a lot of info and questions regarding State regulations... I am glad to be moving to CO!
    Just as a general note, all States seem to have websites that answer most questions rather well, such as CO here: http://www.state.co.us/gov_dir/permits.html
    Well, PI info is lacking of course, but a search of CA for example would get you the details of how to go about it.
    For those that are just getting started with searches (of the Internet variety), Google your State of choice and take it from there!

RT

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Raul Taibo
    Just joined the forums and I am relocating to Colorado. Noticed a lot of info and questions regarding State regulations... I am glad to be moving to CO!
    Hey, Raul! Welcome to the lovely state of MY birth and choice. I was temporarily displaced to a desert state [which shall go unnamed] for 23 years - roasted my head off (can I use "arse" in these forums? I'll research it so please don't anyone be offended or chop my head off yet). Moved back to CO 4 years ago and love it more than ever. I was not born in the Front Range area, but it is so far my favorite area to live in.

Perhaps we will compare colleague notes somewhere down the trail, eh? That would be fabulous! Happy NY

Raul Taibo is offline *
    Private Investigator Member:
    Well Jan, I guess we will be sort-of neighbors soon then!
    Yup, CO is then my State of choice as of February '05... need to pack faster...
    Soon I should get my package from IPIU, and then I can doing some real work.
    Look forward to comparing notes indeed. Great '05 to you too.
    Regards,

RT

Does anyone know if the state of Montana requires a private investigator to be licensed?

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Leder
    Does anyone know if the state of Montana requires a private investigator to be licensed?
    Yes, Montana does require a license. If you lack the three years of experience, you can work under another PI or a licensed company to gain your training.

I have the time in when I worked up in New England, however, after 10 years of non activity, city hall shreads all of the licences. Now how about that. I have over 4000 hours in the PI work and only can verify 2000 hours. I need that books that were to be sent to me as so I can take the test and get assigned to someone down here, plus the free software that I need. Will some please advise me when my box will come and then get that part out of the way...Michael J. Spane, Leesville, SC

Re: Non-Licensing States

I don't see Oklahoma listed here. Does anyone know the requirements?
    Greg Mauldin