Thread: PI Licensing: Alabama

Question PI Licensing law in Alabama

(Updated 10-5-01 By Moderator to include State Law Quote)
    40-12-93
    Detective Agencies
    Each person engaged in the business of operating a detective agency, or each company or corporation doing business as such in this State, shall pay a license tax of:

License Amount Fee Total
    $150.00 $1.00 $151.00

Each person so engaged who also solicits or receives notes or accounts for collection shall pay an additional license tax of:

License Fee Total
    $150.00 .00 $150.00

Interpretations:

An agency is not required to purchase a license in each county they operate in, only the counties where an office is maintained.

An out-of-state agency sending a detective to do investigative work in this state and not maintaining an office, answering service, etc., whereby the general public could contact them to obtain services, would not require a license.

Private investigators and security guards should contact the local authorities (sheriff or city hall) when doing business in a municipality as most municipalities require a license.

A company providing guard service only is not required to procure this license.

Part-time detectives are required to procure this license.

For State Statutes, click here: Alabama Statutes Link

(The following topic is the original before the state law was added to thei topic)

"I have read all of the threads in this topic and only one mentioned Alabama. Of course with my luck the link for the Alabama information did not pull up on my computer.
    So my question is if Alabama does not have a licensing requirement, does that mean anyone in AL can be a PI? Surely I am understanding it wrong! Isnt there a test or something that would have to be taken or experience of some sort working under another PI for a certain amount of time?And who gives the test? Also is there any way to be a PI for the government or is that working for the CIA? I really have a longing in my heart to help our country in some way even if I had to travel great lenghths to do this. If ther is a way who would I talk to and what kind of training would that take?

"Im sorry if I have to many questions but I am very young and not very knowledgable about any of this business. Although I do know I have wanted to be PI since I was very young. Playing like I was Sherlock Holmes in my backyard and watching Columbo with my mom.........and another thing... thank you for all of your help. I will catch on eventually."
    Brooke Alexander

Darin Biddle is offline *** Certified SPI

Former Moderator:
    Distinguished Member
    Private Investigators Forums
    Of course with my luck the link for the Alabama information did not pull up on my computer
    I will check the Alabama link and update it for you, Carolyn.

if Alabama does not have a licensing requirement, does that mean anyone in AL can be a PI?
    If there is no law than, yes, anyone may become a P.I. Although, even states and cities that don't require PI licensing may require you to obtain other business licenses.

Also is there any way to be a PI for the government
    No, a P.I. is just that. The private part means that you work for individuals, not corporate or government entities. I am not sure, but I imagine that different agencies may obtain your services on a as needed basis. (I have a friend who does background checks on tenants who apply for HUD) But as far as working on federal cases, they save that work for highly trained professionals. You may want to check the federal websites for employment. I've gathered a few links for you.

Im sorry if I have to many questions but I am very young and not very knowledgable about any of this business.
    Don't be sorry about the questions, that is why we are here. How will you ever learn the trade without lots of questions? I hope that I've been helpful and I look forward to hearing more from you.
    What you don't know can, and usually does hurt you!
    ~ Darin Biddle ~

Smile Very Helpful but still more questions

Thank You so much for the info. It is very helpful!! When you say federal websites do you mean the CIA and FBI official websites?And if anyone can become a PI in Alabama why arent more people doing it? I have seen on other threads that you can make a pretty good living working for other PI's , if thats true can you work for several across the state without ever having your own agency? And my last question ( for now) is what examples can you give me to answer what an undercover PI does.
    Again sorry for all of the questions, thanks for all your patience.

By the way you are a very handsome guy, if thats you in the picture. Your wife is very lucky.
    Brooke Alexander

Alabama has licensing laws for private investigators. I will try to locate their statute, but I believe it's just money they want and no experience.

Thumbs up

Thank You for all the help, I will check back to see what the requirements are. You guys are great.
    Brooke Alexander

Question Licensing, Bonding, and Insured

I have read the post on licensing laws in AL, and realize we do not have any laws prohibiting anyone from deciding to become a PI. I know in order to solicit business though I have to have a business licnese in my state. I have had a few conversations with some PI's in my state who say I need to be licensed, Insured, and Bonded for my protection. What does this mean and how is this a benefit to me? Also I have been advised to become a traveling notary, how will this benefit me in this business. Excuse me for my ignorance if I come across so.
    Thanks
    Brooke Alexander

Joe C Mizell Guest

requirements for opening my own PI firm here.

I am interested in opening my own PI firm here, and would like as much info as possible. I really appreciate your help.

Re: Licensing, Bonding, and Insured

Originally posted by Carolyn Brooke Alexander
    I have had a few conversations with some PI's in my state who say I need to be licensed, Insured, and Bonded for my protection. What does this mean and how is this a benefit to me?
    Go the other Member's Only forum called Establishing Your Own Private Investigative Agency. This sounds like something an agency has to have.

Re: Licensing, Bonding, and Insured

Originally posted by Carolyn Brooke Alexander
    Also I have been advised to become a traveling notary, how will this benefit me in this business.
    Same answer, go to the other forum.

Re: requirements for opening my own PI firm here.

Originally posted by Joe C Mizell
    I am interested in opening my own PI firm here, and would like as much info as possible. I really appreciate your help.
    See my other answer to ask this in the business forum for Members Only. Now if you don't know you're a member or what Level access you have, check out the Technical Support Forum for something called Level Accesses.

The future for Alabama PIs

The Alabama Professional Investigators Association has formed a committee to review different state laws and requirements for licensure. At some point in time the Alabama Legislature will be lobbied to pass licensure requirements.

http://fyiinvestigators.bizland.com/apia/

Please help...

What type of insurance do i need.That is all i like i already have business and no insurance.No one up here knows what the **** i am talking about.

Re: Please help...

Originally posted by Jamie Keith
    What type of insurance do i need.That is all i like i already have business and no insurance.No one up here knows what the **** i am talking about.
    Jamie,

I hope you also have money put aside? You need Liability and E. & O. insurance.
    Once licensure becomes a reality here, just buying a business license won't work.

Contact me off list.

Bill

FYI Investigations of Alabama
    Last edited by William Goulet -; 08-19-2003 at 01:59 PM.

Ms. Lyn Thiebe is offline Licensed Private Investigator

* Certified
    Private Investigators Forum Member
    any further word on Alabama and their requirements for licensing changing, any time soon that is?
    LYN THIEBE
    Licensed Private Investigator (AL #5941)

L A Investigations - IPIU Badge #5737
    Member of the Alabama Professional Investigators Association.

Originally posted by Ms. Lyn Thiebe
    any further word on Alabama and their requirements for licensing changing, any time soon that is?
    Hi Lyn,

No, not as of yet. we are still ironing out the wrinkles with the state association. We have another organizational meeting in Atmore Alabama on November the 8th.

Bill

* Certified

thank you

Bill about the meeting. time, place and directions can be forwarded to my email address at yahoo.com I would appreciate all information and becoming involved.

thank you,
    LYN THIEBE

Question BONDED AND INSURED IN ALABAMA?

This might be in the wrong forum, but I see almost every one here is from Alabama. I have had people who remembered me, when I worked with my uncle as a bail enforcment officer, and knew that I new who to run surviellance. Now Im trying to either work for an investigation company, or get an Alabama PI's liscence. My question is where can I be bonded and insured and how much this would cost. Any help with this would be greatly appreatiated.

Thanks
    Nicholas R Keith

* Certified

you might try

Hi Nicholas, you may want to look at the above FYIInvestigators site to get some answers through the Alabama Private Investigator Association meetings. I am asking that specific question at their next meeting perhaps I can gain some valuable knowledge and pass it on.

good luck,
    LYN THIEBE

Talking ANY HELP WOULD BE WELCOME!

Thank you Ms. Lyn.
    I would be thankful for any information that could help me .
    I will check out the link. Have a blessed week!
    Nicholas R Keith

* Certified

to answer your question

Nicholas, Hi. I was able to attend meeting and met several great people I am now a Alabama Professional Investigator Association member. Already it has been great and very supportive. Thru the other members I have received information on the insurance, try Coztanza at 800-346-0942 and ask for Mitch. good luck!

As for what is stated here with Bill Goulet the requirements are changing and the association is adjusting to the changes now. So please any and all please feel free to follow the link above for the APIA website. We need your help and support, get in now on the ground floor and become a full member by becoming state licensed.

To IPIU. I am now state licensed for detective agency in the state of Alabama. who do I need to contact about this new achievement?

thank you,
    LYN THIEBE

Thank you so much for this information.

[B]Thank you all for all of this information.I have wondered about such things myself and you can bet I'll be checking out the APIA website tonight.Take care all of you.
    Marcus Harris

This is good info guys,for Alabama;good networking. Thanks Kenneth

Bill, What is the latest on the Alabama licensing requirements changing?

Also, if all I do is work IPIU assignments part-time (from home) while keeping my full-time day job, do I still need a business license, insurance/bond, etc. What is the minimum I need to have so as to comply with any city/county/state laws in Alabama (I am in Helena, AL, outside Birmingham, Shelby County). And what is E & O?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Carolyn,

Could you tell me how I can get a business license for Alabama? Also, is this something that is renewed annually, and if so, is it based on the calendar year? I was wondering that if that's the case, maybe I'm better off waiting until January 2007 to get a business license. Any info you have would be appreciated. Thanks.