Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: In the News: Female Private Investigators

Re: Re: Hi Debbie!

Originally posted by Debbie Richardson

Hello Mary,

Hey thanks for the tip on the "View Active Topics". I had no clue to go there...thanks to you I do now. I have just been pretty much replying to my email messages and then go from there. It depends on whether or not I have time, but I also jump around using the pull down menu of forums. I'm still trying to figure out my way around and I'm still overwhelmed. I just hope I am doing the processes right and doing something I'm not suppose to.

I guess if I messed up somewhere I would have been notified by the proper authority. So far, so good! Whoosh…Thanks for replying to my message and I also appreciate you sharing your info with all of us. Have a great day and keep up the good work!

Exclamation Women P.I.

Tiffiny Dixon
    You know it's good to see that more women are getting into this field.I feel that we somewhat have an advantage over our other half.And yes, you rite I don't think there's anyone out there that doesn't have some type of bad thing in there background.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna Coleman
    Hi, I was watching the local news this evening while filling out my IPIU application and behold there was a story about 3 local women that were training to be private investigators.

One female had just graduated from the local college here and her instructor is a PI for about 12 years.

The other two women are still in school and graduating soon.

After the story the news anchor went on to say that a growing number of women are getting into this field and that 1 in 10 people who try to get into PI have something negative in their background checks.

Another thing she mentioned was that top PI' s earn between 35k-50k year (more for the experienced) and that most survelliance by PI's are 12 hours.

I found that interesting because I had just started filling out my application when the story came on the news.

Female PI's

Thanks for the story, its interesting reading about PI's no matter if they're females or males. Its good to have the comoradary between the genders, after all, we are in this profession together, some of us have to work together without bashing the other's, good points and great topics here, i love reading these....................

Quote Originally Posted by James L Parmenter
    Thanks for the story, its interesting reading about PI's no matter if they're females or males. Its good to have the comoradary between the genders, after all, we are in this profession together, some of us have to work together without bashing the other's, good points and great topics here, i love reading these....................
    James, I agree with you. Personally, I enjoy working with my male counterparts. I think we work well together. We can learn from each other.
    Bridgett Brown

Badge #6997

Thanks Donna for the information on the news piece on the rise of female Private Investigators. I am so excited and know this job will prove to be rewarding in reinforcing the social contract in public trust. Also, I thought men would be the highest percentage.

Petra Post - is offline Retired Administrator
    ***** Certified SPI

Former Insignio Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum
    That is wonderful news. And we should be in this profession more, with the noses (for snooping) that we have... lol You go girls...

By the way, did you all know that we should not use writing like in chat rooms? Just wondering. Many agencies, lawyers and such are looking into these forums, and one of the most important things in this line of work is the report writing... So, just to tell you a secret... we are already in training and you might want to edit some of your posts. Dot your i's and cross your t's...

Go see Ann's Training Topics, that's a great thread where you can learn more of the software and how to properly use it... See you gals around in the forums...

Goals of Women

Donna,
    Thanks for the great feedback that more women are going into private investigation work. It has been an interest of mine for a long time. As for the salary, I am reading a book called "Do You Want Your Mother's Life" and it says too many women say I hope to reach $40,000 rather than expecting more.
    Debra

Routine for Posting

Mary,
    Great advice for how to approach getting involved in the forums. (viewing the Active Topics) Sometimes I feel like I am jumping around and forget where I have been.
    I try to check in like I check my email.

Debra

Right after reading this thread today, I came across a website that addressed the question about female investigators. Below are two quotes from top PI agencies.

In the early 70's there were very few female private investigators. I know of only one. I did not hire women then because I just did not think they would make good investigators. It was 1976 before I hired the first woman investigator, a woman who really proved herself and proved to me that women make excellent investigators. She did a superb job for me and was with me several years.

Since that time, I've hired many women. In each instance, they have been superior to male investigators. They can acquire data that men cannot get. They are less threatening. more and more women have come into Private investigation business, not only as investigators, but as owners of agencies.

- Nick Beltrante Beltrante & Associates

Women are naturally inquisitive. By nature we're more detail oriented. Woman are generally more compassionate. Women look at a case - especially if it involves child custody or marital situations - from a different angle then a man. A woman is also a natural for undercover work. People tell me all the time - and I take it as a compliment - 'You don't look like a Private Investigator.' I like that.

- Liz Crummey, Private Investigator - Crummey Investigations, Inc.
    So ladies, just like in many other professions, it used to be a man's world. But over the past 25 or 30 years, many women have taken the challenge, proven themselves, and paved the road for the rest of us in private investigation. If we are determined to succeed in this profession, we can!

Men are most likely better suited for some jobs, while women are better suited for others. Together we will get the job done!

Make it happen!
    Brenda

Red face

Thank you for the information it was very interesting. I'm overly happy to see that the lady's are no longer back seat drivers to this profession. I truly feel that there is room for all of us.

One Door Closes, Another Door Opens

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Cardis
    have worked in the telecommunications field for the last 24 years until last year...downsizing. so i am really excited to get started in something interesting.
    Barbara,

I am on a new career path too due to downsizing in the telecommunications industry I was not interested in pursing the same path, I wanted something different and exciting. When one door closes and another one opens seems to be the consensus in the forums. I am excited that I am now at Level 2 and waiting to receive my COE and manual.

BEST WISHES

best wishes and welcome aboard!

Woman at large

Reading all these comments are very interesting. Donna, you hit it right on the nose with this topic. It is very interesting to see woman growing in this field. The sad part of it all is that in the privit detective area {local police or sherriff office} the numbers are like 10% of force is woman. I was going to become a police officer when I found out the statistics of woman being promoted to Detective was 1 out of 50. So to know that in the PI world that woman are growing in strong numbers bring releif to the doubtful.

Keep up the great work ladies and gentlemen.

Thank you

It is so encouraging to discover that women have come so far in this field in such a short period of time.

Way to go!

It's very unfortunity that women in the field of PI's, law enforcement, as well as many other field of employment are so under rate, when in fact it's a proven fact that they play a very important role throughtout the work force. Hang in there ladies, and I personally welcome any and all the help you can give me.

Smile

Gary,
    I would like to think you for those kind words to all of us women who are and will be P.I.'s. Not very many people think that us women can do such a job, but I highly disagree. We are proven them wrong so many times but it just doesn't sink in. So again Thank-you
    Angela Beck

Angela, your more than welcome, good luck to you as well as all female PIs.

Lisa Frye - is offline Certified SPI
    Licensed Private Investigator

Moderator (On Leave of Absence)
    Sr. Distinguished Union Member
    I know that as far as women being PI's, for myself, I can read people like a B_O_O_K! I dont know if its something alot of us are born with or what but its just something that is there!

Learn to trust your instincts! It is there for a reason. I definately feel that being a woman in this field is a definate bonus!

Lisa

There is alot to be said for a womans insight and intuition, you sound like you definitely are on top of game in that respect,Liza good luck to you.

Very suprised at the number of women

I am really quite surprised that so many women post on this site!

I think that it is great but it was just unexpected.

I want to applaud each of you for your determination to succeed in this field.

I read in an earlier post that the majority of PI's are now women!! Who would have ever thought?!

Anyway...YOU GO GIRLS!

Thank you, Mark! I wish the field had been more open to women years ago, but am happy I can get into it now. I strongly believe that men are probably best in some areas, whereas women are most likely best in others. Of course, we all have our strengths and weaknesses.

And the best part? We can all learn from each other.

Make it happen!
    Brenda Templin

I think it is great that so many women participate in the forums and are working in the PI filed. Women can get allot of things done in situations where men may be less effective, simply becasue they are men....

$ in CA

Hi Debbie,
    I was reading around in the forum and saw that you also live in the bay area. I was wondering if you ever found out what the pay is like around here. Hopefully it will be good. If not then it will still be worth it. This is not JUST a job.

Hi Amalia,
    I live in Arizona, not California. I imagine they pay more there. I did live in San Francisco and Oakland for about 10 years. It's great to see more women interested in this field.

Good Luck!
    Debra

It's wonderful to see so many women opening into a field that I believe will be as rewarding as private investigation. I remember 10 years ago when I hired in as a industrial tools salesperson that I was the only female in my state, in that field, and was also why my boss had hired me: "to get an edge on the competition".

Just a thought:

With women's percentages rising in this field, I wonder how many of that percentage are single mom's.

Thumbs up Such Good News

I was so very glad to see this information about women as private investigators!

My husband is all for it but I had some little nagging thoughts as to just how women were being received into this field. What I have also found out is that there are so many areas of investigation where a woman could indeed be an asset.

Thank you everyone who have posted; you have put my mind at ease, even though I wasn't going to be discouraged from pursueing it to begin with

I would hope that they would pay more Debra. But it's never enough living here.

Hi everyone,

I'm so new (first day) at this I don't even know if I'm "threading" correctly. I feel completely overwhelmed but I was glad to read that a good starting point was "View Active Topics" through search. I'm just going to jump in and see where it goes. I was very surprised to know there are so many other women interested in this area.

Look foward to continuing in this venture. What is the difference in the "quote" and the "quick reply"?

Thanks
    Brenda Black

Welcome Brenda!! Always great to see more girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenda Black
    Hi everyone,

What is the difference in the "quote" and the "quick reply"?

Thanks
    Brenda Black
    Brenda, the Quick Reply is just that. If you want to post a general reply in the thread, you could use that. Personally, I never use it. I use Post Reply instead so I can review and make changes, if necessary.

Use Quote when you want to reply to a specific post. Clicking on the Quote button in that person's post will open a message window with their post in it. If it is a long post, and you want to address something specific that the person said, then just edit out the other. See above where I edited out the other part of your post in the quote.

Then, under the quote in your message box, add your own comments.

It is always best to use Preview Post so that you can review what the post looks like. If you find errors, typos, etc., make the changes in the message box before submitting.

If you have further questions, please go to your Introduction topic, and submit from there. This will help to keep threads on topic.

Hope this helps.

Brenda

Thanks for this information, its very helpful.

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    To All:

It is interesting that women are much better in many circumstaces than men. In many cases, witnesses relate better to women than to men. It is a good thing that gender is not as important in investigation as it is in may other occupations. It is one more place where my daughter can work up to her capacity if she choose PI work when she finishes college (she started last week).

Being the father of a daughter, I am all for non-sexist work environments.

Hi everyone,

I can't think of a better field to work in for job security right now. With the increase in corruption in Corporate America, the need for investigators in the Corporate arena as well as public domain will continue to increase. I feel if we align ourselves with good agencies, the work will be there. Your ethics and work history will continue to open doors. I've always thought women are on equal footing in this field, women are less intimidating then men as a rule and people feel they can talk to us. I'm all for equal opportunity, its about time! My mother certainly never had the opportunities I have now.

Angry :confused:

I can,t agree with you more Lori. Things are not going to get any better. They are slowly getting worse and I don't think that people relize that it is as bad as it is, they know that it is bad but not as bad,if you understand that.As I read through what other people write and read the news paper, really understand the news paper it is just terrible what this world has come to. Something to think about. I think that it is time for another great flood !!!!!

Female Private Investigators

Good morning ladies, it was so good to read so many good threads and to see how many ladies are getting into this field, I was getting alittle discouraged but after reading all these I have made up my mind to put more effort into doing what I have always wanted to do, be a private investigator and to continue with my classes. Thank you one and all. Take care.

Hi to everyone.I think women make wonderful P.I. 's because we have "woman's intuition".If we listen to our gut instincts we are usually right.There is a great book out there for women to read it is called "The Gift Of Fear" and in it he tells us women to trust our insticts. So Im glad to see women getting into this field.I hope to have my own business one day.Not just for cheating husbands but for anything and everything.

Talking

Wow, this is great news. I am also happy to see more women in this field. I have always had the instinct to do this type of work, but always thought it would be more suitable for men. I am glad I connected with such a great group of women and look forward to some day being able to help someone out there with what ever service a PI can provide.

Best of luck to all women who chooses to persue this career!

Brenda,

You answer members questions so succinctly and concise. You're the best!!

Cheryl

it is nice to see so many woman getting into this field. I'm going to school for Criminial Justice and I'm enjoying both. It's a good feeling to have gorl power behind you.
    Looking forward to keeping up with girl power sections they are very enlightening and encouraging.
    A'ricka

Aricka, I'm sure being a woman has it's limitations. I would so think anyway. At least at first. I live in a really safe neighborhood now and if I had to do survillence work in a not so safe neighborhood I know I would be scared.What really instersts me is insurance fraud and maybe mystery shopping right now. In time with more experience I may change my mind. Also this Sunday night movie I watched a few weeks ago that was a true story about a woman P.I. who had a lot of cheating husband/wife cases, would definitely be an option.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast