Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: US Dept of Labor-Private Dectectives

Denise Damazio is offline Certified

Distinguished Member: Private Investigator Member

My sentiments exactly!

Steve,

I know you will be an excellent PI and most likely will make more money than the average. I think you have all the qualities that will lead to excellence.

Best of luck to you,

Denise

Whew! Thank goodness for printers (I wanna save this good stuff for future reference...)

It's good to know my Criminal Justice degree won't go to waste:

"Training in subjects such as criminal justice is helpful to aspiring private detectives and investigators. Most corporate investigators must have a bachelor's degree, preferably in a business-related field..."

Thanks, Colleen!

So useful. Thank you !

Wow..........thanks Colleen, I also agree your article was very detailed and informative. Thanks to the wide world web at our finger tips I believe we are with the right group of professionals to work as a team towards our mission in the PI industry.

Thank you for all the time you spent preparing this post and all it's contents. It is greatly appreciated by all us beginners.

Colleen,

Your article is very interesting. Thanks for the website. I have added that to my list of other websites I find in the various forums.

Thank you again for taking the time to post such an informative article.

Cheryl

I thought this was a very interesting article. Thanks for finding information relevant for us newbies.

All of the information pertained to the article was very informative to a trainee like myself. I do believe that the statistics stated was an average, and it does not include the majority of the success stories you hear. For me personally even if I only make $12/hr I am still better off than where I am now. Especially being in Florida, and all Floridians know that this is one of the states a low rate of pay. I will keep reading, and assorbing all of the information I can, because I refuse to be just average.

Thank you for your post. I certainly appreciate the time you dedicated to highlighting the bullet points.
    Cindy

I feel strongly that the smaller firms or self ran investigative companies have more worries over Conflict of interest and loyalty than turf. There is a lot of demand for information. Ask the people hiring investigators, they will say. The better qualified and extremely professional investigators will have no problem being compensated well.
    But I also know from experience that the larger Firms (I.E. More than 10 employees)have less turnover because the hours are steadier.

Chad Haltom

CHAD HALTOM
    Licensed Private Investigator (VA#PI 099148679)

Virginia

Great info! Despite my experience as a Loss Prevention Manager, it looks like the competition out there is stiff!! Start out small, get some experience, then GO BIG!!

Lavon Reynolds is offline Lifetime Preferred Member

Corporate Agency Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Colleen,

Thanks for the information.

Thank You!

Thanks for all the great information.

Pat

As always. A lot of great information here. This is definetly worth reviewing for new and senior members.

Ken Rohrer,

Thank you for the updated information. It's mind boggling to say the least. Thank you for sharing it.

Colleen L Hayes
    Badge #6915

I will be interested in looking back at this link when we're well into 2005. I'm hoping the statistics are updated. I believe they can be useful in evaluation, but not necessarily accurate and/or current.

Lisa

This is very useful information. Now I know what I have to obtain to further my career with investigations.

Wow Colleen thank you for the info it is very informative and interesting. It's a great outlook of pay for different aspects of investigations.

Mr Robert J Hutchinson Guest

Thumbs up If you think about it..

the wage estimate is not surprising. I am sure that you have all noticed that most jobs, today, are only paying in the thirties, if you are lucky. It is the sign of the times. I started in the IT field 12 years ago with the "promise" of sixty thousand a year and up by being a certified Microsoft Engineer. So, I spent over three grand certifying myself to the hilt. My mean wage was forty eight thousand by my 12th year...most of that stretch was in the 30's. And then, I was laid off and back in the low thirties again. So, those of you who may be discouraged, don't be. What other job would you want that you do not like at thirty thousand? Why not do an occupation you love, such as all of us, here, do in investigations? The secret to survival in any job or self-employed endeavor is to create multiple streams of income and really strive for a residual income opportunity that works. So, do investigative work for a range of in the 30's and then find another FUN thing to do in other times that brings in maybe another 15 to 20 thousand. Find a residual income opportunity so that once you get it started, you do not have to tend to it as much, but the money keeps coming in. Kind of like making 300 to 2100 a month just by doing a little bit. Before you know it, you are making 100 thousand a yaer or more. If we are smart, we can taylor all of this to not make us too busy for the fun things in life, but if you just depend upon the one job at 30 thousand a year, you will be working yourself to the bone and die with nothing to show for it. I, myself, do Health and Wellness counseling; am involved in building residual income in another endeavor and pursuing PI. These three things are what I enjoy. I also currently have an IT job which I do not wan to do. So, when I develop the other three..goodbye job I do not like. So, those of you who may be sweating the dollars that a PI makes, don't! If you love the work, who cares? Find an additional thing to supplement that you LOVE. Enjoy life and never get yourself stuck in something that you don't like! Make money..don't let money make you!

By the way, I notice that many of you, here, are college or just out of college. My hats off to you all for sticking it out and getting an educaton, but try not to let it get you down that you are not making the money that was promised to you when you started the college endeavor. Enjoy live and Make Money work for you..in time you will look back and realize that you are making it with whatever income you are getting, but that you are darn glad that you decided to do somethingthat you LOVe to do.

Sorry, I got wound up!!

Good info. Can't wait to get my manual and get started!

Thanks for all the interesting information.

Robert, I could not have said that better myself.

Thank you

I completed my registration on January 24th and had numerous questions running through my mind but after reading this post questions seem to be getting answered. Thank you for the information provided, this was a great help

interesting read...just a little surprised at salary levels.

Ineresting this all may be but thank you goes to IPIU for their standings!

Great info. great insight, loads of info.
    Thanks
    Rick Musil

Quote Originally Posted by Colleen L Hayes
    I thought this article was interesting. Hope everyone who reads it, gets some useful information.

U.S. Department of Labor
    Bureau of Labor Statistics
    Occupational Outlook Handbook
    www.bls.gov OOH Search/A-Z Index
    BLS Home | Programs & Surveys | Get Detailed Statistics | Glossary | What's New | Find It! In DOL

Printer-friendly version (HTML) (PDF)
    Private Detectives and Investigators
    Nature of the Work | Working Conditions | Employment | Training, Other Qualifications, and Advancement | Job Outlook | Earnings | Related Occupations | Sources of Additional Information

Significant Points

Work hours often are irregular for beginning detectives and investigators, many of whom work part time.
    Most applicants have related experience in areas such as law enforcement, insurance, or the military.
    Stiff competition is expected for better paying jobs because of the large number of qualified people who are attracted to this occupation.

Nature of the Work [About this section] Back to Top

Private detectives and investigators use many means to determine the facts in a variety of matters. To carry out investigations, they may use various types of surveillance or searches. To verify facts, such as an individual's place of employment or income, they may make phone calls or visit a subject's workplace. In other cases, especially those involving missing persons and background checks, investigators often interview people to gather as much information as possible about an individual. In all cases, private detectives and investigators assist attorneys, businesses, and the public with a variety of legal, financial, and personal problems.

Private detectives and investigators offer many services, including executive, corporate, and celebrity protection; pre-employment verification; and individual background profiles. They also provide assistance in civil liability and personal injury cases, insurance claims and fraud, child custody and protection cases, and premarital screening. Increasingly, they are hired to investigate individuals to prove or disprove infidelity.

Most detectives and investigators are trained to perform physical surveillance, often for long periods, in a car or van. They may observe a site, such as the home of a subject, from an inconspicuous location. The surveillance continues using still and video cameras, binoculars, and a cell phone, until the desired evidence is obtained. They also may perform computer database searches, or work with someone who does. Computers allow detectives and investigators to quickly obtain massive amounts of information on individuals' prior arrests, convictions, and civil legal judgments; telephone numbers; motor vehicle registrations; association and club memberships; and other matters.

The duties of private detectives and investigators depend on the needs of their client. In cases for employers involving workers' fraudulent compensation claims, for example, investigators may carry out long-term covert observation of subjects. If an investigator observes a subject performing an activity that contradicts injuries stated in a workers' compensation claim, the investigator would take video or still photographs to document the activity and report it to the client.

Private detectives and investigators often specialize. Those who focus on intellectual property theft, for example, investigate and document acts of piracy, help clients stop the illegal activity, and provide intelligence for prosecution and civil action. Other investigators specialize in developing financial profiles and asset searches. Their reports reflect information gathered through interviews, investigation and surveillance, and research, including review of public documents.

Legal investigators specialize in cases involving the courts and are normally employed by law firms or lawyers. They frequently assist in preparing criminal defenses, locating witnesses, serving legal documents, interviewing police and prospective witnesses, and gathering and reviewing evidence. Legal investigators also may collect information on the parties to the litigation, take photographs, testify in court, and assemble evidence and reports for trials.

Corporate investigators conduct internal and external investigations for corporations other than investigative firms. In internal investigations, they may investigate drug use in the workplace, ensure that expense accounts are not abused, or determine if employees are stealing merchandise or information. External investigations typically prevent criminal schemes originating outside the corporation, such as theft of company assets through fraudulent billing of products by suppliers.

Financial investigators may be hired to develop confidential financial profiles of individuals or companies who are prospective parties to large financial transactions. They often are Certified Public Accountants (CPAs) and work closely with investment bankers and accountants. They search for assets in order to recover damages awarded by a court in fraud or theft cases.

Detectives who work for retail stores or hotels are responsible for loss control and asset protection. Store detectives, also known as loss prevention agents, safeguard the assets of retail stores by apprehending anyone attempting to steal merchandise or destroy store property. They prevent theft by shoplifters, vendor representatives, delivery personnel, and even store employees. Store detectives also conduct periodic inspections of stock areas, dressing rooms, and restrooms, and sometimes assist in opening and closing the store. They may prepare loss prevention and security reports for management and testify in court against persons they apprehend. Hotel detectives protect guests of the establishment from theft of their belongings and preserve order in hotel restaurants and bars. They also may keep undesirable individuals, such as known thieves, off the premises.

Working Conditions [About this section] Back to Top

Private detectives and investigators often work irregular hours because of the need to conduct surveillance and contact people who are not available during normal working hours. Early morning, evening, weekend, and holiday work is common.

Many detectives and investigators spend time away from their offices conducting interviews or doing surveillance, but some work in their office most of the day conducting computer searches and making phone calls. Those who have their own agencies and employ other investigators may work primarily in an office and have normal business hours.

When working on a case away from the office, the environment might range from plush boardrooms to seedy bars. Store and hotel detectives work in the businesses that they protect. Investigators generally work alone, but they sometimes work with others during surveillance or when following a subject in order to avoid detection by the subject.

Some of the work involves confrontation, so the job can be stressful and dangerous. Some situations call for the investigator to be armed, such as certain bodyguard assignments for corporate or celebrity clients. Detectives and investigators who carry handguns must be licensed by the appropriate authority. In most cases, however, a weapon is not necessary because the purpose of their work is gathering information and not law enforcement or criminal apprehension. Owners of investigative agencies have the added stress of having to deal with demanding and sometimes distraught clients.

Employment [About this section] Back to Top

Private detectives and investigators held about 39,000 jobs in 2000. About 2 out of 5 were self-employed. Approximately a third of salaried private detectives and investigators worked for detective agencies, while another third were employed as store detectives in department or clothing and accessories stores. The remainder worked for hotels and other lodging places, legal services firms, and in other industries.

Training, Other Qualifications, and Advancement [About this section] Back to Top

There are no formal education requirements for most private detective and investigator jobs, although many private detectives have college degrees. Almost all private detectives and investigators have previous experience in other occupations. Some work initially for insurance or collections companies or in the private security industry. Many investigators enter the field after serving in law enforcement, the military, government auditing and investigative positions, or Federal intelligence jobs.

Former law enforcement officers, military investigators, and government agents often become private detectives or investigators as a second career because they are frequently able to retire after 20 years of service. Others enter from such diverse fields as finance, accounting, commercial credit, investigative reporting, insurance, and law. These individuals often can apply their prior work experience in a related investigative specialty. A few enter the occupation directly after graduation from college, generally with associate or bachelor of criminal justice or police science degrees.

The majority of the States and the District of Colombia require private detectives and investigators to be licensed. Licensing requirements vary widely, but convicted felons cannot receive a license in most States and a growing number of States are enacting mandatory training programs for private detectives and investigators. Some States have few requirements, and 6 States-Alabama, Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Mississippi, and South Dakota-have no statewide licensing requirements while others have stringent regulations. For example, the Bureau of Security and Investigative Services of the California Department of Consumer Affairs requires private investigators to be 18 years of age or older; have a combination of education in police science, criminal law, or justice, and experience equaling 3 years (6,000 hours) of investigative experience; pass an evaluation by the Federal Department of Justice and a criminal history background check; and receive a qualifying score on a 2-hour written examination covering laws and regulations. There are additional requirements for a firearms permit.

For private detective and investigator jobs, most employers look for individuals with ingenuity, persistence and assertiveness. A candidate must not be afraid of confrontation, should communicate well, and should be able to think on his or her feet. Good interviewing and interrogation skills also are important and usually are acquired in earlier careers in law enforcement or other fields. Because the courts often are the ultimate judge of a properly conducted investigation, the investigator must be able to present the facts in a manner a jury will believe.

Training in subjects such as criminal justice is helpful to aspiring private detectives and investigators. Most corporate investigators must have a bachelor's degree, preferably in a business-related field. Some corporate investigators have master's degrees in business administration or law, while others are certified public accountants. Corporate investigators hired by large companies may receive formal training from their employers on business practices, management structure, and various finance-related topics. The screening process for potential employees typically includes a background check of candidates' criminal history.

Some investigators receive certification from a professional organization to demonstrate competency in a field. For example, the National Association of Legal Investigators (NALI) confers the designation Certified Legal Investigator to licensed investigators who devote a majority of their practice to negligence or criminal defense investigations. To receive the designation, applicants must satisfy experience, educational, and continuing training requirements, and must pass written and oral exams administered by the NALI.

Most private detective agencies are small, with little room for advancement. Usually there are no defined ranks or steps, so advancement takes the form of increases in salary and assignment status. Many detectives and investigators work for detective agencies at the beginning of their careers and after a few years start their own firms. Corporate and legal investigators may rise to supervisor or manager of the security or investigations department.

Job Outlook [About this section] Back to Top

Keen competition is expected because private detective and investigator careers attract many qualified people, including relatively young retirees from law enforcement and military careers. Opportunities will be best for entry-level jobs with detective agencies or as store detectives on a part-time basis. Those seeking store detective jobs have the best prospects with large chains and discount stores.

Employment of private detectives and investigators is expected to grow faster than the average for all occupations through 2010. In addition to growth, replacement of those who retire or leave the occupation for other reasons should create many additional job openings. Increased demand for private detectives and investigators will result from fear of crime, increased litigation, and the need to protect confidential information and property of all kinds. More private investigators also will be needed to assist attorneys working on criminal defense and civil litigation. Growing financial activity worldwide will increase the demand for investigators to control internal and external financial losses, and to monitor competitors and prevent industrial spying.

Earnings [About this section] Back to Top

Median annual earnings of salaried private detectives and investigators were $26,750 in 2000. The middle 50 percent earned between $20,040 and $38,240. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $16,210, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $52,200. Median annual earnings were $21,180 in department stores, the industry employing the largest numbers of private detectives and investigators.

Earnings of private detectives and investigators vary greatly depending on their employer, specialty, and the geographic area in which they work. According to a study by Abbott, Langer & Associates, security/loss prevention directors and vice presidents had a median income of $77,500 per year in 2000; investigators, $39,800; and store detectives, $25,000. In addition to typical benefits, most corporate investigators received profit-sharing plans.

Related Occupations [About this section] Back to Top

Private detectives and investigators often collect information and protect the property and other assets of companies. Others with related duties include bill and account collectors; claims adjusters, appraisers, examiners, and investigators; police and detectives; and security guards and gaming surveillance officers. Investigators who specialize in conducting financial profiles and asset searches perform work closely related to that of accountants and auditors and financial analysts and personal finance advisors.

This article states income from the year 2000, so apparently things have changed since then.

Hope you enjoyed it!
    I appreciate this info. It has really helped my learning process. This message was orignally posted in 2003 and I'm wondering if any experienced PI's now have insight on the need to work nights and weekends as stated in the original report. I am a work horse and willing to work part-time or full-time; however, will I lose case opportunities if I state I am not avail. for field work (outside my home) on nights/weekends? I am always willing to do paperwork, calls and research from home anytime. I want to open up my ability to receive cases in my area as much as possible. Any advise? Especially from PI's with family obligations?

Thank you for the information, I guess it's not for the love of money, sound like a teacher? LOL

Thanks for the information.

From my experience and what I have run across with the wages of PI's and Loss Prevention personnel, the information you have provided hits it pretty much on the button.

Here are a few things that I have experienced in my days. Hopefully this will be of help to some of you and even then, if you don't believe, just keep your eyes open for it!

One reason PI's will only earn about about $30,000 a year is because sometimes they are out of work and have to wait for the next job to come in. This has happened to me.

The other thing I have noticed is that there are companies that require a person to have experience and a degree but only want to offer $10 to $12 per hour. I have especially noticed this in the Loss Prevention/Security field.

One company I applied for and spoke to had an Investigator position open that required constant travel and who knows what type of hours for only $24,000 a year. And of course, they wanted someone with experience and a college degree was preferred.

On Undercover Work, watch out for this. A PI company will offer you, for example, $15.00 per hour. The way it works is that you will end of receiving two checks, one from the PI company and one from the company you are doing the undercover work at. If the company you are doing the UC work pays $8.00 per hour for the position you are in, then the PI company will actually only pay you $7.00 per hour, totaling the $15.00 they said you would get paid.

This isn't bad but take into consideration when you land a UC case that the position you are in paying $11.50 per hour. This cuts down the pay you get from the PI company to $3.50 per hour. Also remember the pay differential for second and third shifts. This will make no difference to you since your getting paid a straight $15.00 per hour.

The real way to make money as a PI, and this has already been mentioned, is to have your own company. But just remember, you have to be a salesman and drag in the business in!

And by the way, if any of you get the opportunity, learn how to Interview-Interrogate. Companies, especially in the Loss Prevention field, will ask about this. There are classes available that you can take if you do not get the opportunity to get on the job experience with it. One method that is often mentioned is Wicklander-Zulawaski. Just remember that Interviewing is a skill and it is something that is far more difficult than any basic investigation such as looking for records or conducting surveillance.

Good luck to everyone.

Guerrero

For those of you who require the latest information:

Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2004-05 Edition

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    U.S. Department of Labor | Bureau of Labor Statistics | Bulletin 2540

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Private Detectives and Investigators
    Nature of the Work | Working Conditions | Employment | Training, Other Qualifications, and Advancement | Job Outlook | Earnings | Related Occupations | Sources of Additional Information

Significant Points

Work hours often are irregular, and the work can be dangerous.
    About a third were self-employed.
    Applicants typically have related experience in areas such as law enforcement, insurance, the military, or government investigative or intelligence jobs.
    Keen competition is expected because of the large number of qualified people who are attracted to this occupation; opportunities will be best for entry-level jobs with detective agencies or as store detectives on a part-time basis.
    Nature of the Work [About this section] Back to Top

Private detectives and investigators use many means to determine the facts in a variety of matters. To carry out investigations, they may use various types of surveillance or searches. To verify facts, such as an individual’s place of employment or income, they may make phone calls or visit a subject’s workplace. In other cases, especially those involving missing persons and background checks, investigators often interview people to gather as much information as possible about an individual. In all cases, private detectives and investigators assist attorneys, businesses, and the public with a variety of legal, financial, and personal problems.

Private detectives and investigators offer many services, including executive, corporate, and celebrity protection; pre-employment verification; and individual background profiles. They also provide assistance in civil liability and personal injury cases, insurance claims and fraud, child custody and protection cases, and premarital screening. Increasingly, they are hired to investigate individuals to prove or disprove infidelity.

Most detectives and investigators are trained to perform physical surveillance, often for long periods, in a car or van. They may observe a site, such as the home of a subject, from an inconspicuous location. The surveillance continues using still and video cameras, binoculars, and a cell phone, until the desired evidence is obtained. They also may perform computer database searches, or work with someone who does. Computers allow detectives and investigators to quickly obtain massive amounts of information on individuals’ prior arrests, convictions, and civil legal judgments; telephone numbers; motor vehicle registrations; association and club memberships; and other matters.

The duties of private detectives and investigators depend on the needs of their client. In cases for employers involving workers’ fraudulent compensation claims, for example, investigators may carry out long-term covert observation of subjects. If an investigator observes a subject performing an activity that contradicts injuries stated in a workers’ compensation claim, the investigator would take video or still photographs to document the activity and report it to the client.

Private detectives and investigators often specialize. Those who focus on intellectual property theft, for example, investigate and document acts of piracy, help clients stop the illegal activity, and provide intelligence for prosecution and civil action. Other investigators specialize in developing financial profiles and asset searches. Their reports reflect information gathered through interviews, investigation and surveillance, and research, including review of public documents.

Legal investigators specialize in cases involving the courts and are normally employed by law firms or lawyers. They frequently assist in preparing criminal defenses, locating witnesses, serving legal documents, interviewing police and prospective witnesses, and gathering and reviewing evidence. Legal investigators also may collect information on the parties to the litigation, take photographs, testify in court, and assemble evidence and reports for trials.

Corporate investigators conduct internal and external investigations for corporations other than investigative firms. In internal investigations, they may investigate drug use in the workplace, ensure that expense accounts are not abused, or determine if employees are stealing merchandise or information. External investigations typically prevent criminal schemes originating outside the corporation, such as theft of company assets through fraudulent billing of products by suppliers.

Financial investigators may be hired to develop confidential financial profiles of individuals or companies who are prospective parties to large financial transactions. They often are Certified Public Accountants (CPAs) and work closely with investment bankers and accountants. They search for assets in order to recover damages awarded by a court in fraud or theft cases.

Detectives who work for retail stores or hotels are responsible for loss control and asset protection. Store detectives, also known as loss prevention agents, safeguard the assets of retail stores by apprehending anyone attempting to steal merchandise or destroy store property. They prevent theft by shoplifters, vendor representatives, delivery personnel, and even store employees. Store detectives also conduct periodic inspections of stock areas, dressing rooms, and restrooms, and sometimes assist in opening and closing the store. They may prepare loss prevention and security reports for management and testify in court against persons they apprehend. Hotel detectives protect guests of the establishment from theft of their belongings and preserve order in hotel restaurants and bars. They also may keep undesirable individuals, such as known thieves, off the premises.

Working Conditions [About this section] Back to Top

Private detectives and investigators often work irregular hours because of the need to conduct surveillance and contact people who are not available during normal working hours. Early morning, evening, weekend, and holiday work is common.

Many detectives and investigators spend time away from their offices conducting interviews or doing surveillance, but some work in their office most of the day conducting computer searches and making phone calls. Those who have their own agencies and employ other investigators may work primarily in an office and have normal business hours.

When working on a case away from the office, the environment might range from plush boardrooms to seedy bars. Store and hotel detectives work in the businesses that they protect. Investigators generally work alone, but they sometimes work with others during surveillance or when following a subject in order to avoid detection by the subject.

Some of the work involves confrontation, so the job can be stressful and dangerous. Some situations call for the investigator to be armed, such as certain bodyguard assignments for corporate or celebrity clients. Detectives and investigators who carry handguns must be licensed by the appropriate authority. In most cases, however, a weapon is not necessary because the purpose of their work is gathering information and not law enforcement or criminal apprehension. Owners of investigative agencies have the added stress of having to deal with demanding and sometimes distraught clients.

Employment [About this section] Back to Top

Private detectives and investigators held about 48,000 jobs in 2002. About a third were self-employed, including many who held a secondary job as a self-employed private detective. Almost a fifth jobs were found in investigation and security services, including private detective agencies, while another fifth were in department or other general merchandise stores. The rest worked mostly in State and local government, legal services firms, employment services, insurance carriers, and credit intermediation and related activities, including banks and other depository institutions.

Training, Other Qualifications, and Advancement [About this section] Back to Top

There are no formal education requirements for most private detective and investigator jobs, although many private detectives have college degrees. Private detectives and investigators typically have previous experience in other occupations. Some work initially for insurance or collections companies or in the private security industry. Many investigators enter the field after serving in law enforcement, the military, government auditing and investigative positions, or Federal intelligence jobs.

Former law enforcement officers, military investigators, and government agents often become private detectives or investigators as a second career because they are frequently able to retire after 20 years of service. Others enter from such diverse fields as finance, accounting, commercial credit, investigative reporting, insurance, and law. These individuals often can apply their prior work experience in a related investigative specialty. A few enter the occupation directly after graduation from college, generally with associate or bachelor’s degrees in criminal justice or police science.

The majority of States and the District of Colombia require private detectives and investigators to be licensed. Licensing requirements vary widely, but convicted felons cannot receive a license in most States and a growing number of States are enacting mandatory training programs for private detectives and investigators. Some States have few requirements, and 6 States—Alabama, Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Mississippi, and South Dakota—have no statewide licensing requirements while others have stringent regulations. For example, the Bureau of Security and Investigative Services of the California Department of Consumer Affairs requires private investigators to be 18 years of age or older; have a combination of education in police science, criminal law, or justice, and experience equaling 3 years (6,000 hours) of investigative experience; pass an evaluation by the Federal Department of Justice and a criminal history background check; and receive a qualifying score on a 2-hour written examination covering laws and regulations. There are additional requirements for a firearms permit.

For private detective and investigator jobs, most employers look for individuals with ingenuity, persistence, and assertiveness. A candidate must not be afraid of confrontation, should communicate well, and should be able to think on his or her feet. Good interviewing and interrogation skills also are important and usually are acquired in earlier careers in law enforcement or other fields. Because the courts often are the ultimate judge of a properly conducted investigation, the investigator must be able to present the facts in a manner a jury will believe.

Training in subjects such as criminal justice is helpful to aspiring private detectives and investigators. Most corporate investigators must have a bachelor’s degree, preferably in a business-related field. Some corporate investigators have master’s degrees in business administration or law, while others are certified public accountants. Corporate investigators hired by large companies may receive formal training from their employers on business practices, management structure, and various finance-related topics. The screening process for potential employees typically includes a background check of criminal history.

Some investigators receive certification from a professional organization to demonstrate competency in a field. For example, the National Association of Legal Investigators (NALI) confers the Certified Legal Investigator designation to licensed investigators who devote a majority of their practice to negligence or criminal defense investigations. To receive the designation, applicants must satisfy experience, educational, and continuing training requirements, and must pass written and oral exams administered by the NALI.

Most private detective agencies are small, with little room for advancement. Usually there are no defined ranks or steps, so advancement takes the form of increases in salary and assignment status. Many detectives and investigators work for detective agencies at the beginning of their careers and, after a few years, start their own firms. Corporate and legal investigators may rise to supervisor or manager of the security or investigations department.

Job Outlook [About this section] Back to Top

Keen competition is expected because private detective and investigator careers attract many qualified people, including relatively young retirees from law enforcement and military careers. Opportunities will be best for entry-level jobs with detective agencies or as store detectives on a part-time basis. Those seeking store detective jobs have the best prospects with large chains and discount stores.

Employment of private detectives and investigators is expected to grow faster than the average for all occupations through 2012. In addition to growth, replacement of those who retire or leave the occupation for other reasons should create many job openings. Increased demand for private detectives and investigators will result from fear of crime, increased litigation, and the need to protect confidential information and property of all kinds. More private investigators also will be needed to assist attorneys working on criminal defense and civil litigation. Growing financial activity worldwide will increase the demand for investigators to control internal and external financial losses, and to monitor competitors and prevent industrial spying.

Earnings [About this section] Back to Top

Median annual earnings of salaried private detectives and investigators were $29,300 in 2002. The middle 50 percent earned between $21,980 and $41,710. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $17,290, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $57,370. In 2002, median annual earnings were $29,030 in investigation and security services, and $22,250 in department stores.

Earnings of private detectives and investigators vary greatly depending on their employer, specialty, and the geographic area in which they work. According to a study by Abbott, Langer & Associates, security/loss prevention directors and vice presidents had a median income of $77,500 per year in 2002; investigators, $39,800; and store detectives, $25,000. In addition to typical benefits, most corporate investigators received profit-sharing plans.

Related Occupations [About this section] Back to Top

Private detectives and investigators often collect information and protect the property and other assets of companies and individuals. Others with related duties include bill and account collectors; claims adjusters, appraisers, examiners, and investigators; police and detectives; and security guards and gaming surveillance officers. Investigators who specialize in conducting financial profiles and asset searches perform work closely related to that of accountants and auditors and financial analysts and personal finance advisors.

Sources of Additional Information [About this section] Back to Top

Disclaimer:Links to non-BLS Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.

For information on local licensing requirements, contact your State Department of Public Safety, State Division of Licensing, or local or State police headquarters.

For information on a career as a legal investigator, contact:

National Association of Legal Investigators, 908 21st St., Sacramento, CA, 95814-3118.

OOH ONET Codes [About this section] Back to Top

33-9021.00

Suggested citation: Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2004-05 Edition, Private Detectives and Investigators, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos157.htm (visited March 25, 2005).

Last Modified Date: March 21, 2004

Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics

Cool

I would also state that since many of you are coming from outside the PI realm, if you check the earnings statistics from the BLS, you'll notice they always seem to be on the low side.
    For example, if you're an educator, the BLS might state your earnings average 29,000/yr., but most of you have earned significantly more. Don't be discouraged by the relatively low numbers given for PI's: significantly more can be earned

Thanks for the info everyone. It's great to have such an excellent group of people helping people.

Thanks so much for this article and all of the information here. Articles and information like this just make me more determined to do my job 110%. Thanks everyone.

Thanks for posting this very informative piece. I am sooo new that I haven't even realized all the potential avenues in this field. This post has opened my eyes even more! Many of the jobs available I thought were only for police. Ah to be new and not know a dang thing..lol I saved this posting for future reference, thanks again and good luck!

Andrea Davis

That's some interesting reading. Just what we all need to stay focused and on the right track.

Would I be correct in saying that a self employed PI could make upwards of $100,000, and is there a place for computer forensics examiners in the area of business computer fraud and theft. Is there anyone out there in that area of the business and does anyone know how much they make...

John

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by John Armes
    Would I be correct in saying that a self employed PI could make upwards of $100,000, and is there a place for computer forensics examiners in the area of business computer fraud and theft. Is there anyone out there in that area of the business and does anyone know how much they make...

John
    John;
    I think you could expect to make >100K after establishing a customer base and comparable reputation, particularly in the computer forensics field.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Budde
    John;
    I think you could expect to make >100K after establishing a customer base and comparable reputation, particularly in the computer forensics field.
    Thanks Frederick.. Are you working in the area of computer forensics... Do you know of any good books on the subject or where I may get some... Do you know of any schools giving classes on the subject...

John

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by John Armes
    Thanks Frederick.. Are you working in the area of computer forensics... Do you know of any good books on the subject or where I may get some... Do you know of any schools giving classes on the subject...

John
    Not personally; I'm one of those old dogs who can just get by on the computer, but some of the young people who do contract work for the government do very well. Remember, the field of forensics is quite large, and could mean anything from pulling out old e-mails to reconstructing the history of visited web-sites, to tracking worms.
    I'd start out by seeing what the schools tell you when you question them about "forensics", to see if they're aware of the field as it pertains to law enforcement. Check with the local PD, and see where they learned the craft. Chances are, they learned by doing, and would be interested in showing you the ropes (after you have a background check run).

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Budde
    Not personally; I'm one of those old dogs who can just get by on the computer, but some of the young people who do contract work for the government do very well. Remember, the field of forensics is quite large, and could mean anything from pulling out old e-mails to reconstructing the history of visited web-sites, to tracking worms.
    I'd start out by seeing what the schools tell you when you question them about "forensics", to see if they're aware of the field as it pertains to law enforcement. Check with the local PD, and see where they learned the craft. Chances are, they learned by doing, and would be interested in showing you the ropes (after you have a background check run).
    Hay thanks for the info... I worked 10 years at the Indiana State Police... I guess I could try and go back and reconnect with some of them... Thanks for the thought... I'll act on it...

John

Thanks for making the article available to us. It was good to learn about the pro's and con's of the business, the differences in salaries and the competition. I imagine success depends on how much effort you want to put forth, your credibility and your willingness to take on many varied assignments. I hope to be a successful investigator and wish the same to everyone else.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast