Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lock this Yankee Hacker up!

Lock this Yankee up!

Jeffrey Lee Parson
    Age 18
    Teenage Blaster Worm Suspect Arrested

SEATTLE/SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Seeking to deliver a blunt warning to hackers everywhere, U.S. officials on Friday arrested a teenager who admitted to making a copycat version of the Blaster Internet worm that infected computers around the world.

Jeffrey Lee Parson, 18, was arrested in his hometown, the Minneapolis suburb of Hopkins, and charged with one count of intentionally causing or attempting to cause damage to a computer. He faces a maximum of 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine if convicted.

"With this arrest we want to deliver a message to hackers around the world,"
    John McKay, U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Washington, told reporters at a news conference shortly after the Minnesota arrest.

"The handcuffs were not cyber-handcuffs, they were real handcuffs," McKay said, speaking of Parson's arrest, which was the result of a joint investigation by the U.S. Secret Service and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

The 6-foot-4-inches (193-cm) tall Parson, who weighs 320 pounds (145 kg), appeared in U.S. Federal Court in St. Paul wearing a faded gray T-shirt with "Big Daddy" spelled out on the front, as well as cargo shorts and high-top sneakers.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Susan Nelson ordered Parson to be held under house arrest, although government lawyers had argued for keeping Parson in jail, based on the "grievous and substantial" harm he had caused computer users.

Parson was banned from using the Internet, surfing the World Wide Web or using messaging services. She also told Parson there had been threats made against him and she was concerned for his safety.

The suspect had previously admitted to law enforcement officials that he created a variant of the worm, according to a complaint filed in the Western District of Washington state. Parson's next court hearing will be Sept. 17 in Seattle.

The Blaster worm exploited a flaw in Microsoft Corp.'s Windows software that was made public last month. Engineers and lawyers at Microsoft, which is headquartered in Redmond, Washington, 15 miles outside of Seattle, cooperated with authorities in the case.

As experts combed over data in the hunt for the creator of the original virus, which Microsoft said had caused it "millions of dollars of damages," authorities detailed in the complaint how Parsons created the worm variant.

Parson admitted modifying Blaster and creating a variant known by different names, including "W32/Lovesan.worm.b" and admitted he renamed the original code, dubbed "MSBlast.exe," "teekids.exe" after his online alias, the complaint said.

FBI agents interviewed Parson when they searched his home on Aug. 19 and seized seven computers.

Blaster, which appeared Aug. 11, and its variants are self-replicating Internet worms that bore through a Windows security hole, harnessing computers to launch concerted data attacks via the Internet on a Microsoft technical service Web site.

At least 7,000 "drone" computers tried to attack the Microsoft Web site, the complaint said. Microsoft thwarted the attacks by disconnecting the Web address from the Internet.

The Internet addresses of infected computers were sent to the t33kid.com Web site. That site was traced back to Parson through a third party, according to the complaint.

The t33kid.com site is registered to Parson at an address in Hopkins, Minnesota. A phone number at that address is registered to R. Parson. A woman who answered the telephone there declined to comment.

Mark Rasch, former head of the Justic Department's computer crime unit, now chief security counsel at Solutionary Inc., a managed computer security company, said he thinks Parson will serve time "because of the amount of damage resulting from the worm."

Meanwhile, anti-virus vendor Trend Micro Inc. said another worm had surfaced that takes advantage of the Windows hole Blaster used, but the new worm was rated low risk with few infections.
    This Yankee has cost IPIU and it's members considerable damage in loss time.

Ship him over here and we will place him in a 4x4 cell with Brits who would love to have him as their "guest".

B Ann Craig - is offline Administrative Forum Trainer

Sr. Certified Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum
    Technical Support, I couldn't agree with you more. With all the brains this kid has, and to think he wasted it on doing damage to so many.

I wonder what this kids could have amounted to if he would have gone in the right direction? What a waste of resources.
    Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves;
    We are his people, and the sheep of his pasture...be thankful unto him, and bless his name. Ps 100

Visit our New Home Page: www.ipiu.org

Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum Member
    If it were up to me, Tech, I'd let you guys have him.

This guy needed to get a life (and I think he will come close) instead of sitting in front of a computer all day. Family, friends and a job are good starters. If you isolate yourself from human contact, you can lose sense of responsiblity, rationale, compassion, and a whole list of other necessary traits.

I think he'll get the life he deserves now.

[just my opinion]

William R. Larson - is offline (Retired from Forum Activity)

Former Sr. Distinguished Member:
    He's only 20 miles from me. Let me at him for a while! Just be sure it is a sound proof room and the shades have been drawn.

(NYPD blue style!)

Lock up hackers

If these hackers only knew the billions of dollars they cost
    the public. My wife was smart enough to fix this last virus,
    but I know people that spent and ave. of $150 to fix thier
    home computer.
    I say lock them up with no parole!!!

Chris A Brandt

This young man obviously has the knowledge and skills to get himself into trouble....but he is still young enough that possibly he could be directed in a more positive direction.

Hackers who use their skills to "break into" secure systems, searching for loopholes can help make computer networks more secure in the future.

I do think he should be punished, but I also think his skills should be directed to a more positive use.

Okay, maybe I'm a bit of a liberal

Yankee

Leisl

you could be right about, if he uses his skills for good, not evil
    he would have to be monitored all the time. Maybe?

Chris A Brandt

Thumbs up Good Investigative Work

The worm has been caught, but lets' remember not to give him "too much time". Instead give him something worthwhile to do with such knowledge and skills. After all that’s' what got him in trouble in the first place "too much time" and nothing to do with it.

Not sure if the worm was the culprit, but I had 51 unsolicited and unrecognized emails, ALL INFECTED!

I want to be just as good when I complete my PI course!

Go get em' guys.
    Char

The worm

Charlie

Great point about the worm virus person.
    Thank you
    Chris A Brandt

Lock this Yankee up!

What a total waste of a young gifted mind.
    DJ
    Badge #5625

Life is the souls nursery- its training place for the destinies of eternity.

William M. Thackeray

If I were Bill Gates, that clown would be on my payroll- these guys are so intelligent, but are a few sandwiches short of a picnic. They could really be making some good money just by being GOOD! Ya think??
    Melinda Cole

"Do not let anyone claim to be a true American if they ever attempt to remove religion from politics."
    George Washington

Originally posted by Melinda Cole
    If I were Bill Gates, that clown would be on my payroll- these guys are so intelligent, but are a few sandwiches short of a picnic. They could really be making some good money just by being GOOD! Ya think??
    Hey Melinda, is it possible this guy worked for the competition?

"without God there would be no us"
    Char

Char,

Hmm, that's something to think about. Could be.

p.s. Without God, there is no us, I believe this all the way!!
    Melinda Cole

"Do not let anyone claim to be a true American if they ever attempt to remove religion from politics."
    George Washington

B Ann Craig - is offline Administrative Forum Trainer

Sr. Certified Distinguished Member:
    Originally posted by Charlie M Holiday-Wilson

Hey Melinda, is it possible this guy worked for the competition?

"without God there would be no us"
    Charlie, that could be right. I like your saying, you are right on.

"With God all things are possible"

Have a wonderful week. Take care.
    Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves;
    We are his people, and the sheep of his pasture...be thankful unto him, and bless his name. Ps 100

Visit our New Home Page: www.ipiu.org

Originally posted by Leisl D Olson
    Hackers who use their skills to "break into" secure systems, searching for loopholes can help make computer networks more secure in the future.
    For many, the word "hacker" is someone who is a crook.

But go to the International Hackers Convention, and you will see that "hacker" is typically derived from enhancing or adding a software code to an existing software package. The result is multiple hacks is the new and improved version of the software that is finally released.

Our forum software is Version 2.6.6 and hackers are helping the software company develop Version 3.0

(Just a comment here, that's all)

If I were Bill Gates, that clown would be on my payroll-
    "He's already on the devil's payroll!"

Touche'
    Melinda Cole

George Washington

With regards to the comments from Leisl and Chris, how this is a waste of a fine talent; this is reminiscent of Frank Abagnale (Catch Me If You Can), who went to work for the Feds and then made his own fortune only AFTER serving his time for the crime.

Punish the wrongdoers, but then channel the takent in the right direction.

Mark

Re: Lock this Yankee up!

Originally posted by Technical Support

Jeffrey Lee Parson
    Age 18
    This Yankee has cost IPIU and it's members considerable damage in loss time.

Ship him over here and we will place him in a 4x4 cell with Brits who would love to have him as their "guest".
    That reminds me of the time when I attended a "Techie's Night Out" function at my church. All who were into computers were invited to attend with or without their computers. There were many teenagers at this event. I was amazed at the hacking they do to pass the time. One of them showed me how to access grades on the server in his school district. Another bragged about the time he broke into a nearby universities server and accessed about 2,000 social security numbers. (He said he didn't do anything with the information, he just wanted to see if he could do it.) Another teen showed how he mounted a "denial of service" attack on a company that angered him. He had planted a Trojan Horse virus on many computers and the virus began "pinging" their server so many times it brought their web site traffic to a halt.

Man! The good these teens could do if they funneled their knowledge and activity into something beneficial. They might even become PIs...

Last edited by Ken Rohrer; 09-25-2003 at 09:02 PM.

Originally posted by Leisl D Olson

I agree. When he starts his rehabilitation, it should be in this field. He apparently knows all the 'ins-and-outs'. Although unless he completely changed his ways, he would need a babysitter.

Because of the over-crowding of prisons, this would be one of many crimes where the person might possibly be rehabilitated to do what is right. I'm still concerned about the persons sent to the 'resort cell' (I've posted in that forum also), as much as this type of crime. They both cost a lot of money for many people.

Colleen L Hayes Badge #6915

I agree with Leisl.. given the fact that this is a teenager, he may be someone who can be reformed and can eventually contribute to a more productive society.

With the right investment in his future training toward utilizing his intelligence and creativity to make a fortune, benefit society and be extremely successful, this kid might turn out alright.

I also liked the reference to the movie "Catch Me If You Can", as this was a classic true story example of how a young troubled teenager's future can be redefined if presented with the right opportunity. I second the notion that he should do some time first though, in order to punish the bad behavior, but I feel that life without parole is extreme and unreasonable.
    Kathie

Badge # 6757

Hackers-Smackers

I suppose to get at this one I'd have to stand in line. So glad my husband is a techno-geek and can get ahead of this stuff. I suppose he'd be a high-rating employee for Bill Gates but maybe in a more secured role of employment. (hee-hee)
    Shiela M Hargett
    Badge #6855

Originally posted by Kathleen Padgett

I also liked the reference to the movie "Catch Me If You Can.
    Actually Kathie, I never saw the movie. Frank Abagnale told his story at a business luncheon in Seattle about 7 or 8 years ago. I thought it was fascinating then. Maybe some day I'll watch the movie.

Mark

Hi Mark,

It was a great movie, started out slow but became very interesting and suspenseful. It must have been neat to hear it straight from Frank. If you get a chance, I think it's a movie that is definitely worth seeing sometime.
    Kathie

Badge # 6757

Char,

Hmm, that's something to think about. Could be.

p.s. Without God, there is no us, I believe this all the way!!

Hear! Hear! All I can say is God is my salvation and my light so
    when it's time to go to the polls lets remember the "ten commandments, pledge of allegiance and all future attempts" to remove GOD from our langauge. "Cause don't cha know" ,(a little southern humor), more will be coming out and jumping on this bandwagon.

PS: Did you hear the one about separating State and God in the courthouse? Do hearby swear that the testimony you give is the truth and nothing but the truth, so help you Who? GOD
    Char

Thanks For the Info my friend. People like him should be locked up for along time, I don't understand what hackers see in doing things to people computers I know for a fact they wouldn't like it if we did it to there computer.

Char,
    Ever since the 50's when they took God out of schools, we have been progressively declining in morals, values, etc. However, I think people are becoming more and more aware of our constitution and God Himself being under attack, and that's a start!
    It's an uphill battle, thanks to the ACLU!
    Melinda Cole

George Washington

Sometimes I wonder if it is a good thing to be teaching our children how to use computer at age 4 and 5. What happened to the "good ole days" were they actually spent time with their friends and played games outside and used their imaginations?

There is never a vicitimless crime. It is sad that someone who is so smart waste his time harming others.

There are definitely two groups here.
    The first one would like to see the guy punished and "isolated" for a while. The second (and smaller) group suggests that instead to be isolated , the "expert" could be recovered and used to catch other hackers (the quote of the couple Leonardo di Caprio - Tom Hanks from "Catch me if you can" is excellent in this respect). I am joining the second (and smaller) group: the guy is young and the essence of human nature is a good one...

Angry Hackers

I've been dealing with computers since the early 70's when I was in the Air Force. We didn't even have monitors. You typed in your commands and they were printed out on a big ole dot matrix printer. We had hackers even then. Now it's so easy, there are sites that offer autodialers, autopingers and all sorts of hacker software. What will probably happen to this fellow is he will be approached by software developers and internet security companies and if he is as smart as he seems, he'll turn from the dark side and use his abilities to make better programs or better defenses against people like him. True in essence he's a criminal, but he's also young and maybe, just maybe, having the Feds come and arrest him and confiscate 7(?) PC's from his home will knock some sense into his head. A little time in the Brit prison or that locked, curtained room might work or might push him further toward more harmful crimes. Kids have access to so much more information and technology today than when I was a kid. (We had the very popular toys, the stick and the rock, haha). My daughter is 14 and pretty much self taught computer wise, she has her own website where she publishes fan fiction and art and is very careful and trustworthy on the net. Of course she knows we can back check all the sites she's visited and would if we thought she was up to no good. There are lots of programs for parents to check up on what their kids are doing online. I would definitely recommend them to any parents of pre teen and teenage kids who spend a lot of time online. These programs will record every site visited, every chat (both sides) even every keystroke made. These are super helpful to check who they're chatting with, what sites they've visited and if they've attempted to cover there tracks by erasing history entries and temp files.
    Dave Fowler
    Badge #6847

I agree with the comment that it is a shame that a kid this smart chose to use his intelligence in a bad way. As for the comment from the person who went to a techie night out at his church, I think the problem is that kids have too much time on their hands. Many just home and flop in front of the TV set. Forgive me if I sound like an old fogey, but when I was growing up, I came home, did my homework, and did chores around the house. Of course, when I was growing up, there was no such thing as a personal computer!

Thumbs up

I belong to the smaller group as well. Although it just got a tad bit bigger! Glenn I agree. Kids can not come home and flop in front of the TV till supper time and flop back in front after supper till bed time. There certainly needs to be a balance. Chores, some TV, videos games, playing with friends and let's not forget God.

However, contrary to one post I believe the sooner children become familiar with computers the better. Who knows, amongst many other things in our day-to-day world, they may need to use the IPIU forum sometime!

Last but not least, my heart aches to see God taken out of the pledge of allegiance in schools.
    Wayne
    a.k.a Johnny!

I am glad that our group is growing.
    I agree with both of you - the kids have to be educated to do their homework (first!), chores, have family time, and, of course (!) have their time for playing and watching TV.
    Last edited by Dragos Sfinteanu; 10-29-2003 at 08:07 PM.

Well put Dragos, well put!

Thank you, Glenn

When you put it from your heart and carry the father's experience on the back, you always find something to say in this respect.

Dragos

I am 24 and I set back and watch my little 5 month old son and I think about the times I use to get punish for the things I done and when I say punish I don't mean go to your room or go set in the conner I am talking about a butt smacken, I don't think thats wrong at all I am shure some of you older ones probably got it ten times worse then we did. And I recall the time I came home Drunk and I was 18, me and couple buddys walk into the House and my mom know that I was drunk and she ask me was you drinking and I told her "Yeah and so what , what are you going to do about it I am 18 I am my own boss" and all sudden she took her Hand Smack me right across the Face and I tell you what I hit the floor and and all I seen was my friends runing out the door and jump in there Truck and took off like she was going to kill them or something and see the rule was if I get drunk I am not to come home drunk. And that is what is wrong with Kids today, this is my oppion I think if Parents would just quit babying there kids stuff like this would've never happen, don't get me wrong I am not saying it's not just the parents faults what I am trying to say is parents needs to be a little sticker then they are if it takes a paddle across there rear do it. I was brought up in Church all my life my Grandfather was a minister,My mother is a Minister, and my Father is a Orthodox Catholic Preist and matter of fact almost of my whole family is Misinsters, I knew right from wrong and if I broke the rules well I got what I deserve. As the Bible says "Spare the Rode, or Spoild the Child" As a Preacher said one time Parents Cry know or Cry Later when your child is setting behind bars. I admite I am the only H-ll my mom ever raised, yeah I was the bad one out of the Four Children and know the Smartest one. I admite I don't go to church like I use to, but by God I am not going to let my Child be a little spoiled bratt .

Donna Reagan is offline Administrator

Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified

PERSONAL OPINION:

Originally posted by Richard Greiner
    ... I am not going to let my Child be a little spoiled bratt .
    Since the 1950's there have been many more disciplines authored on raising children. Yes, 2000 years ago there was always a stick. Today, there are hundreds of other forms of punishment, especially those that restrict a child.

I have found that holding a small child extremely close to me at the time their are throwing a fit and restricting their movement is better than yelling, spanking, of pulling their arm pits out.

The rod can mean many other forms today. I implore that you study up on the current child raising and choose one that will bond your child to you for life. A lack of bonding will turn a child on a parent. Tough love can be tougher than a paddle, but without it.

Donna,

Thanks for the Reply, I hope you didn't take me the wrong way. Every Parent rase there children differnt, So if you took me the wrong way I am sorry.

Originally posted by Dragos Sfinteanu
    There are definitely two groups here.
    The first one would like to see the guy punished and "isolated" for a while. The second (and smaller) group suggests that instead to be isolated , the "expert" could be recovered and used to catch other hackers (the quote of the couple Leonardo di Caprio - Tom Hanks from "Catch me if you can" is excellent in this respect). I am joining the second (and smaller) group: the guy is young and the essence of human nature is a good one...

I'm in the smaller group. The young man was wrong, he did cause a lot of harm. He needs proper guidance and locking him up and throwing a the key is not going to do it.

I saw the movie "Catch Me if you can" I thought it was great. Leonardo was a master of disguises. His skill in reading checks and people was awesome.

In real life Frank was saved, because someone still believed in him even though he had done something wrong. In other words people do change if given the chance to do so.

Mary
    I am grandmom's baby

Re: Re: Lock this Yankee up!

Originally posted by Ken Rohrer

That reminds me of the time when I attended a "Techie's Night Out" function at my church. There were many teenagers at this event. I was amazed at the hacking they do to pass the time.
    I subbed all day for a computer lab in a high school. They had the system down by the end of the day. Playful little monsters.
    Sylvia from Michigan

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast