Thread: Help Wanted: Technical Support Guides

Thumbs up POLL: Technical Support Guide Volunteers?

Do you have a good understanding of our forum software?

If so, will you consider volunteering as a Technical Support Guide to help forum members that need extra assistance?

Details:
    • Your access will be upgraded to TECHNICAL SUPPORT GUIDE, which includes special privileges to IPIU's administrators and moderators;
    • Whenever a new member needs help in understanding or getting around the different forums, they can send you an email asking for your telephone number and a convenient time to set up an appointment to speak to you;
    • New members will be encouraged to have a second telephone line to speak to you while you guide them on the internet through the forums. If they have DSL or Cable Internet service, then they can just use their regular telephone line to call you;
    • Telephone Support Guides are volunteers, and we suggest you keep the time down to 10 to 20 minutes at the most. If the new member needs further help after 20 minutes, suggest they either send an email to tutorial@ipiu.org or browse through the forum FAQ section and study it before arranging for another appointment. The second appointment may be arranged through another Technical Support Guide too;
    • Technical Support Guides are only to help answer and guide members with the use of browsing, posting, and replying in the forums. They are not to offer support on behalf of Agent Relations or any other personal or confidential matters.
    • Your initial hours and days of availability (can be as small as one hour a week) should be included in the email. You can also change your hours/days too, as well as offer help during the day, night, or weekends wherever you choose;
    • You should have CALLER ID to assure the member's phone number appears before accepting the call. If the member has Caller-ID block, then you can instruct them via email to unblock the one-time telephone support call by them pressing *82 and then dialing your number.
    • You must verify with Agent Relations (via email) the forum member's name, telephone number, and IPIU standing before giving out your telephone number. We do not wish for you to take support questions from any unregistered IPIU member that we do not have a file on.
    • You may also choose to use Yahoo Messenger or another program to "chat" to the member with forum software questions.

To apply, send an email with your name, address, and telephone number to guide@ipiu.org

We look forward to having you a member of this select team.

We still get emails from new members who are just looking
    to call someone for basic help with their computer and the
    use of the forums. They pay the long distance, and a 15
    minute chat would sure help.

Here's another email we just got:

I am new to the computer and don't know what I am doing most of the time. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Smile

I am a certified internet tech and would love to do this. Have a good one.

I think they received your email.

Smile

Thank you

Edward Taguba is offline Certified Distinguished Member
    Private Investigators Forums

Professional Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Aloha,

I sent my email request and I have not heard any word. Do you know how long the process is?

Mahalo,
    Ed

Edward Taguba, MBA, Ph.D.

Professional Global Technology Consultant
    http://www.edtaguba.com
    www.ipiu.org | www.privateinvestigators.cc

Edward,

It took quite a while for me to get a response to be a moderator in training just because of the number of members that IPIU has and how busy it keeps them.

In the wise words of Mr. Miagi..."Patience Daniel son"

Just be patient and things will come together.
    Adam D Bowers
    <----- Watchful eyes are always there....but not always seen.
    I'll see you later...but you may not see me.
    Don't look for me...I'll find you

Professional Member of:
    Adam,

Thanks for the tip I really appreciate your feedback

Aloha,
    Ed

Anytime Ed, just ask.
    Adam D Bowers
    <----- Watchful eyes are always there....but not always seen.
    I'll see you later...but you may not see me.
    Don't look for me...I'll find you

Volunteer Guides!

Sounds like fun! Is the offer still good? If so, I would love to help!

Janice Foster is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:

Tech Help

Hello,

I am an ex computer consultant and very internet savy and would be more than happy to help other with any questions/problems with getting around.
    Janice L. Foster
    Private Investigator

Professional Member of:
    Janice,

Thanks for your offer to help fellow memebers

Aloha,

Janice Foster is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:

Thumbs up

Edward,

I am trying to become more involved in the forums. I have also applied for Moderator Trainee, which I would absolutely love to do and feel I would be good at for IPIU. Nice hearing from you.

Ciao
    Janice L. Foster
    Private Investigator

Professional Member of:
    Janice,

Thanks I wish you luck Keep up the good work and stay active on the forum.

Aloha,

B Ann Craig - is offline Administrative Forum Trainer

Sr. Certified Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum
    This is something I would like to do. I help talk my friends through their computer problems, over the phone. My one friend has her own business, and if one of her customers comes in, and has a computer problem, she calls me, so they can ask me what to do. I have done this for over 2 years.

I would be glad to help.
    Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves;
    We are his people, and the sheep of his pasture...be thankful unto him, and bless his name. Ps 100

Visit our New Home Page: www.ipiu.org

Hey Ann,
    We have something in common then! I have a computer consulting business. I am not the expert though, that would be my husband! He has been in the IT business for 9 years! We do have a few big clients, like Verizon. Our business is small but growing steady! Friends and family are always calling with computer questions and that's how we get some of our best client referals!

Christa, that is great! What kind of computer consulting do you give your clients?

I had never touched a computer till Oct. 1994. Then I took some computer classes at Indiana University, Ivy Tech State College, and NIR Schools. After I took some of my classes, I tutored other students at IU and Ivy Tech in Computers, Algebra, and Finite Mathematics. I love thses subjects. I have tutored the Math sense 1961.

Good luck with your business. Take care.
    Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves;
    We are his people, and the sheep of his pasture...be thankful unto him, and bless his name. Ps 100

Ann,
    When we consult, but we also do the work we suggest, if we can handle the requests! Mainly network decisions, software applications, websites, technical and repair. The list is not really limited on what we do. If we can't find our clients a solution then we refer them to a company who can!

Thanks for the good luck and I also wish you success!

Christa, that sounds great. Good luck.

Thank you for the well wishes, also. Take care.

Re: POLL: Technical Support Guide Volunteers?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Christine Anderson
    [B]Do you have a good understanding of our forum software?

If so, will you consider volunteering as a Technical Support Guide to help forum members that need extra assistance?

I just sent an email with my info. I am a computer tech and A+ certified. I believe that I can be a help to folks who need it.

Cool

Some info about the software that is being used by IPIU for this Forum:

vBulletin is a powerful community solution that makes it easy to add a forum messaging system to your web site. Unlike other forum software, vBulletin is developed using PHP and MySQL (an amazingly quick open-source database). This solid back end technology allowed us to develop a product that is both blisteringly fast, yet amazingly stable.
    • Blisteringly fast MySQL based backend database
    • Completely database driven - everything comes from the database. No more fiddling around with file permissions or worrying about security of the files.
    • Scalable solution - database server and web servers can reside on separate machines. You can even run the database on a Unix machine and the web server of a Windows machine if you want.
    • Every aspect of the interface can be edited with the comprehensive templates system
    • Powerful database-driven search engine
    • Compliant with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998.
    • Powerful administrative functionality. Posts can be edited/deleted/moved/locked with one click!
    • Moderation queues on posting and registration - check new posts before they become publicly viewable and new registrants before they can post.
    • User email notification of answered posts
    • Support for smilies, vB Code or HTML in messages (admin configurable)
    • Templates - Administrators can edit the design of their board by using the comprehensive templates system.
    • User profiles (editable by user)
    • Unlimited number of moderators per forum
    • Confirm user's email address during registration.
    • Easy to back up - just download one text file and you have a complete image of your forum.
    • User groups - give select moderators/users admin powers
      Private forums
    • Word censor facility
    • Ban users based on IP address or email address
    • Integrated private messaging
    • Posts since last visit are marked so you can tell at a glance whether there have been new posts in a particular forum
    • Much More...

This is only a bit of what the IPIU Software involves...

Having helped with vBB Software over the years, my hats off to these Technical Support Members for their dedication to help with IPIU...

Well I just sent in my application for moderator trainee. Hope the offer is still good.

Good luck, Glenn.

Have a wonderful week. Take care.

Well, thanks for the best wishes Ms. Craig. However, I am beginning to suspect that I may not be techie enough for a moderator position. There are still some commands on these forums that confuse me a bit. For instance, "Close Current Tag", "Close all Tags". and the buttons with an @, or # or PHP on them. Maybe I should read up in FAQ. The answers may very well be there.

Glenn, reading the is a great way to learn the software.

Have a wonderful weekend. Take care.

I totally agree Ms. Craig.

You have a wonderful weekend also.

Thank you very much.

I know this is not the place to write this but I tryed to do a e-mail to guide@ipiu.org to volunteer as a technical support guide but I was getting a e-mail failer every time.
    I didnt know how to get in tuchwith them. please pass this e-mail to the proper site.

thank you
    mike p

Would love to help out

Unhappy technical support guides

I would like to help out as technical support guide. I sent a message out and havent' heard anything yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Christine Anderson
    Do you have a good understanding of our forum software?

Details:
    • Your access will be upgraded to TECHNICAL SUPPORT GUIDE, which includes special privileges to IPIU's administrators and moderators;
    • Whenever a new member needs help in understanding or getting around the different forums, they can send you an email asking for your telephone number and a convenient time to set up an appointment to speak to you;
    • New members will be encouraged to have a second telephone line to speak to you while you guide them on the internet through the forums. If they have DSL or Cable Internet service, then they can just use their regular telephone line to call you;
    • Telephone Support Guides are volunteers, and we suggest you keep the time down to 10 to 20 minutes at the most. If the new member needs further help after 20 minutes, suggest they either send an email to tutorial@ipiu.org or browse through the forum FAQ section and study it before arranging for another appointment. The second appointment may be arranged through another Technical Support Guide too;
    • Technical Support Guides are only to help answer and guide members with the use of browsing, posting, and replying in the forums. They are not to offer support on behalf of Agent Relations or any other personal or confidential matters.
    • Your initial hours and days of availability (can be as small as one hour a week) should be included in the email. You can also change your hours/days too, as well as offer help during the day, night, or weekends wherever you choose;
    • You should have CALLER ID to assure the member's phone number appears before accepting the call. If the member has Caller-ID block, then you can instruct them via email to unblock the one-time telephone support call by them pressing *82 and then dialing your number.
    • You must verify with Agent Relations (via email) the forum member's name, telephone number, and IPIU standing before giving out your telephone number. We do not wish for you to take support questions from any unregistered IPIU member that we do not have a file on.
    • You may also choose to use Yahoo Messenger or another program to "chat" to the member with forum software questions.

To apply, send an email with your name, address, and telephone number to guide@ipiu.org

We look forward to having you a member of this select team.

Sherri Coffman - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Union Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

I believe this to be my first visit to this Thread...

I am checking each forum I have access to at level #1.
    I believe this to be my first visit here. I do not need any Tech Support at this time, but thanks for the directions on how to find you,... i.e. meaning the link.

Sherri Coffman