Thread: Bounty Hunting in New Jersey

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Question Bounty Hunting in New Jersey

Am I mistaken, or is there really no bounty hunter information on New Hersey in this forum (other than the two sentences of law that was quoted)?

I am not really interested in becoming a bounty hunter, I just wanted to get the "big picture".

Actually, my interest in bounty hunting wa sparked by Janet Evanovitch's Stephanie Plum novels.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

New Law

A new law was released in the New Jersey Assembly this date to make bounty hunters have to get a New Jersey Private Detective License. The Prime sponser is Assm. Barnes a retired FBI agent.

John,

Do you have the date of teh law or its ID number?

The Bill is A-2566.

John,

Thanks, I will look it up.

Originally posted by John Downing
    The Bill is A-2566.
    Do you have the state web link?

This is the link and then just put in the bill number A2566.

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/bills/BillsByNumber.asp
    Last edited by B Ann Craig -; 07-25-2004 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Add the url code.

To All:

I have read the bill (not yet law) and it bothers me in several areas.

Bounty hunters will be forced to obtain a PI license if this bill goes through the way it is now.

Bounty hunters (by any and every name they use) will be much more limited than they are now - guns and entry are the primary issues I saw.

Investigators working for lawyers will have to be regual and exclusive employees of the lawyer. This mighgt mean that you can investigate for an attorney, but cannot work for anyone else. Very limiting.

John,

Thanks for catching this - the bill came out on 15 March.

To All:

If you have not read Janet Evanovich's series (nine novels in print and number ten coming out this summer) about Stephanie Plum, you need to.

Stephanie is out of work and blackmails her cousin Vinnie into giving her a job as a bounty hunter (needing no license!). Stephanie is a terrible FRA and could be in trouble if A2566 goes through.

I just sent Janet an email about the bill.

Can anyone tell me the steps one has to take to become a bail enforcement agent ?

I was searching for the bill by number but that number now brings up a bill regarding a grant for something unrelated. I also searched the statutes by keyword for bounty hunter, bail enforcement etc. with no related results. Lots on bail but not related to what I was interested in.

Does anyone know the final disposition of this bill/law? Is it in effect now?

regards,
    Larry

Heres an update... Sorry but i was searching the wrong legislative session, the bill is current and in review

regards,
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schlack
    I was searching for the bill by number but that number now brings up a bill regarding a grant for something unrelated. I also searched the statutes by keyword for bounty hunter, bail enforcement etc. with no related results. Lots on bail but not related to what I was interested in.

Does anyone know the final disposition of this bill/law? Is it in effect now?
    Larry,

When you search, you have to know which legislative year -- 2004-2005. The bill can be found at http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/bills/BillView.asp. I believe that the site you checked comes up with last year's bills.

The current disposition is
    6/14/2004 Received in the Senate, Referred to Senate Law and Public Safety and Veterans' Affairs Committee
    I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Griffith
    Can anyone tell me the steps one has to take to become a bail enforcement agent ?
    Hi Antonio my name is David Ildefonso and I just completed a course on becoming a BEA just a few months ago. I think you should check into it there website is www.usrecoverybureau.com they are located in Passaic, NJ. I hope this helps you get started and I wish you the best of luck.Oh and if you decide to take their course and pass I'm looking to get a team together look me up.

Take care and good luck in your future plans,
    David Ildefonso
    Badge#7099

Quote Originally Posted by David Ildefonso
    Hi Antonio my name is David Ildefonso and I just completed a course on becoming a BEA just a few months ago. I think you should check into it there website is www.usrecoverybureau.com they are located in Passaic, NJ. I hope this helps you get started and I wish you the best of luck.Oh and if you decide to take their course and pass I'm looking to get a team together look me up.

Take care and good luck in your future plans,
    David Ildefonso
    Badge#7099
    David I am looking into taking some courses at the same school you went too (Bail Enforcement, Pepperball, and Concealed Firearms). Just one quick question for you, what have you done since the school? Like have you had to take anymore test's or fill out any more permits? Does the USRB issue you your badge number or do you have to hassle with the State for it?

Thanks,
    Ryan

This line of work obviously requires training which costs money. I would like to get started in "process serving". Does this require some kind of training or certification and where do I look for work in this field?

Thumbs up

Hey Ryan,

Sorry it took so long to reply. The answer to your question is that the USRB will issue a badge and you ID's. The second question is I have been getting my gear together (vest,cuffs and getting my SUV ready to go) I've also been looking for people for my team, I have two so far still looking for 2 more
    either male or female. Yes it is a good idea to have a women on your team for those female fugitives.

Take care,
    David Ildefonso
    Badge#7099

Re: Bounty Hunting in New Jersey