Privacy Statement - Legal Opinions
09-19-2000, 07:09 PM
Private Investigators Forum
Join Date: Feb 1995
New York City, NY
For The Private Investigators Forum Website:
The Private Investigators Forum Website, sponsored by the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU), has created this privacy statement in order to demonstrate our firm commitment to your privacy. This Privacy Statement discloses the privacy practices for this site, www.ipiu.org and www.ipiu.org/forums .
- We do not rent our mailing list to 3rd parties.
- Our Online Forum Registration Application (see the item at the top of this page titled REGISTER) requires applicants to prove they are an Adult through the use of their Driver's License. All information provided to us is secured and not available to the general public. The information is also protected under all local and federal laws.
- Undercover investigators and others who wish not to use the online registration method may request a forum registration alias User Name and Password by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with their contact information. (Other guests who have unusual names may also request an alias User Name to be assigned to further protect their identity).
- We only send email and postal mail to those who have elected to receive it from us.
- You can opt-out of receiving these notices by either logging into your member information area from the "User Control Panel" at the top of this page (User CP), or emailing us at email@example.com.
- If we find that any account with us is being used for the purpose of sending spam, we take action to shut it down as soon as possible.
- Domain name registration information legally has to be available to the public. Since domain name registration information is available to the public, anyone can access it through "whois" searches. The Whois database is a publicly accessible database that lists the domain name and contact information of each registrant. The domain name registration you provide is hosted by us to the public. At times our members may have been included within searches of the whois database. However, the spam they receive does not in anyway come from IPIU.
- We will never give any information about you to others without your express permission. Our site uses forms in which you give us contact information (including your name, address, and email address) so you can place orders, request information and support, and make service and product suggestions. We use your member information only when it will be important for us to contact you regarding functionality changes to our service and products, our web site, new IPIU services, and special offers we think you'll find valuable. If you would rather not receive this information, please see the "Updating Your Information" section below on how to change your preferences.
- We use information gathered about you from our site statistics (for example your IP address) to help diagnose problems with our server, and to administer our Web site. We also gather broad demographic information from this data to help us improve our site and make your browsing and participation experience more enjoyable. This is not linked to any personally identifiable information.
- This site also contains links to other sites. Unfortunately, IPIU and this site is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such other Web sites.
This site has security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. Please view our Secure Ordering page for further details.
Updating Your Information:
As a member of IPIU, you may alter your member information or opt-out of receiving communications from us and our partners at any time. We have the following options for changing and modifying your customer information.
- You may send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- You may call our office phone at 613-962-5358
- You may send mail to IPIU at the following postal address:
Legal Affairs, IPIU, PO Box 23061, Belleville , ON K8P 5J3
- Or you may fax us at 775-429-1529
We use emails to communicate with you, to confirm your emails sent to us, placed orders, and to send information that you have requested. We also provide email links, as on our "Contact IPIU" page, to allow you to contact us directly. We strive to promptly reply to your messages.
The information you send to us may be stored and used to improve this site and our service and products, or it may be reviewed and discarded. However, your information will only be shared with third parties with your explicit permission.
Only If We Have To -
As stated previously in this policy, we will never give out your information without your permission. The only exceptions to this are, when we are required by law, in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary in order to conform to the edicts of the law, or we must comply with a legal process served on our web site.
Changes In Our Practices:
If we change our information handling practices or other privacy aspects, we will post those changes on this privacy statement, at least 30 days prior to their implementation. We will also notify you directly via email.
We use a credit card processing company to bill users for memberships, goods, and services. These companies do not retain, share, store or use personally identifiable information for any secondary purposes.
Contacting the Web Site:
If you have any questions about our privacy statement, the practices of this site, or your dealings with this Web site, you can contact:
PO Box 23061
Belleville ON K8P 5J3
Thank you for your interest. We look forward to serving you.
OTHER LEGAL NOTICES:
All Forum Member Opinions and Comments, including Forum Member Attorneys, should not be construed as Legal Advice. If legal advice is sought, please retain and consult a licensed attorney in your area.
Discussion Forum Information Automatically Logged
We log IP addresses to discourage users from registering under false identities and for multiple accounts in the forums. We also use your IP address to help diagnose problems with our server and to administer our Web site.
Optional Online Discussion Forum Registration Application:
Our site's Optional Registration Application requires Forum Members to give us contact and identification information, including their email address. We use this data to tailor the Forum Member's experience at our site, showing them content we think they might be interested in, and displaying the content according to their preferences. The Forum Memberís contact information is also used to contact the member when necessary. Forum Members may also opt-out of receiving future mailings (see the choice/opt-out section below). Unique identifiers (such as first and last name) are collected from Web site visitors to verify the Forum Member's identity.
Contact information from the Optional Registration Application is also used to contact Forum Members whenever there has been a problem with some material they have posted, or if they have violated the forum rules.
We offer IPIU Union Members optional free agency assignment referrals and opportunities on our site in which we ask them for contact information (such as their email address).
Contact information from the optional agency assignment referrals is used to notify the investigator member of additional updates from the agencies.
This site contains links to other sites. The Private Investigators Forum, sponsored by the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU), is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such Web sites.
Optional Discussion Forums
This site provides optional forums, message boards, news groups, and chat rooms to its members. Although our posted Forum Rules forbid any forum information from being displayed outside of our private forums, please remember that any information disclosed in these areas may become public information through no fault of our own, and you should exercise caution when deciding to disclose your personal information. Questions or inquiries regarding an IPIU member's personal file, progress, and assignments should only be conducted through direct private contact with Agent Relations or via email. Our contact information is posted on our home page at http://www.ipiu.org/
We use third-party advertising companies to serve our ads on the Internet. These third-party advertising companies employ cookie and 1x1 pixel .gif technology to measure and improve the effectiveness of ads for their clients. To do so, these companies may use anonymous information about your visits to our Web site and other Web sites. This information can include: date/time of banner ad shown, the banner ad that was shown, their cookie, the IP address. This information can also be used for online preference marketing purposes.
If you want to prevent a third-party advertiser from setting and/or reading cookies on your computer, you may either visit each ad network's web site individually and opt out. Or, visit the NAI Gateway Opt-Out Website directly to opt-out of all network advertising cookies. Click Here: NAI Opt-Out Link . The NAI site will also allow you to review the third-party advertising companies' privacy policies.
Our site provides all users the opportunity to have their membership and email address removed from our records. To request removal of your membership please send an email to: email@example.com along with your account User Name and the email address that you registered with.
This site gives Forum Members an option for changing, modifying, or updating their User Name, Passwod, and Profile information previously provided. Go to the top of this page and click on the item titled USER CP to access your personal User Control Panel.
We are not responsible when information that otherwise would be private becomes public due to software errors, security flaws, or external attacks. We will never voluntarily disclose any information about any visitor to this site. However, computer networks are inherently insecure and each user needs to take all precautions necessary to protect his or her own privacy. These precautions range from the use of proxy email boxes (such as www.yahoo.com), proxy servers, encryption software, and the selection of an Internet service provider.
Use of the Private Investigators Forum website is undertaken strictly at the user's own risk.
For more information about Internet security, please follow these link:
CLICK HERE FOR: The Electronic Frontier Foundation
Contacting the Web Site
If you have any questions about this privacy statement, the practices of this site, or your participation with this Web site, you can contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com .
To choose the option to register as a Forum Member,
Click Here: Register Link
PRIVACY STATEMENT FOR:
The International Private Investigators Union
A mailed in application or memberís Criminal Warrants Registration application, Code of Ethics, Case Examiner Application, fingerprints, personal files, and photos are secured and archived to prevent identity theft as required by all provinces, state, and federal statutes. Personal information is never provided to outside sources for any reason except as specified in the prior specific written consent by the applicant or prospective member. In the event the applicant or member has an outstanding arrest warrant, the applicant/member's file may be released to an authorized court upon execution of a valid order and arrest warrant for the applicant/member.
All personal information provided to IPIU is protected under all provincial, state, and federal statutes and will not be used, resold, rented, or otherwise compromised to sales, promotion, or marketing organizations, which includes contractors, agents, affiliates, or mirror enterprises which IPIU or any of it's principles may have a vested or financial interest in.
Source: Legal Affairs - IPIU