Thread: Concealed Weapons Permit in the State of Montana.

Concealed Weapons Permit in the State of Montana.

Montana Statues 45-8-315 through 45-8-328 (valid only in the state of Montana)

Application fee is $50, payable when you submit your application. You must also have a Montana Drivers Licence or ID card and proof of weapons training.

For Weapons training use:

• Military discharge form DD 214 (to request duplicate call 755-3795)
    • Hunter safety certificate (to request duplicate call 444-3188)
    • A concealed weapons permit from another state may be considered.
    • Any other weapons training certificate from a certified instructor.

A concealed weapon includes any weapon that is wholly or partially covered by clothing or wearing apparel. A permit is required if you will be concealing a weapon in an incorporated town (city). A weapon is dirk, dagger, pistol, revolver, slingshot, sword cane, bill, knuckles made of any hard substance, knife having a blade 4 inches or longer, razor, not including safety razor, or other deadly weapon. If you are issued a permit you may not:
    [list][*]Carry a concealed weapon while under the influence of an intoxicating substance.[*]Carry a concealed weapon in a building owned or leased by the Federal, state, or local government, a bank, credit union, saveings & loan institution, or similar institution, a room in which alcoholic beverages are sold, dispensed and consumed.

You will be ineligible it recieve a permit if you:
    • Are ineligible under Montana or Federal law to own, possess, or recieve a firearm.
    • Have been Charged/awaiting judgment in any state/federal crime, punishable by incarceration for 1 year.
    • Have been convicted in any state or federal court in any state of a crime punishable by more then 1 year or incarceration or, regardless of the sentence that may be imposed, a crime that includes as an element of the crime an act, attempted act, or threat of intentional homicide, violence, bodily or serious bodily harm, unlawful restraint, sexual abuse, or sexual intercourse or contact without consent;
    • Have been convicted carrying a concealed weapon while under then influence OR in a prohibited place, unless you have been pardoned or 5 years have elapsed since the date of the conviction.
    • have a warrant of any state or the federal government out for your arrest.
    • Have been adjudicated in a criminal or civil proceeding in a court of any state or in a federal court to be an unlawful user of an intoxicating substance and are under a court order of imprisonment or other incarceration, probation, suspended, or deferred inposition of sentance, treatment or education, or other conditions of release or are otherwise under state supervision.
    • Have been adjundicated in a criminal or civil proceeding in a court of any state or in a federal court to be mentally ill, mentally defective, or mentally disabled and are subject to a disopsition order of that court.
    • Were dishonorably discharged from the United States armed forces.

The sheriff may deny an applicant a permit to carry a concealed weapon if the sheriff has reasonable cause to believe that the applicant is mentally ill, mentally defective, or mentally disabled or otherwise may be a threat to the peace and good order of the community to the extent that the applicant should not be allowed to carry a concealed weapon.

A person with a permit to carry a concealed weapon who changes county of residence shall within 10 days of the change inform the sheriffs of both the old and new counties of residence of this change of residence ant that he holds the permit. If his residence changes either from or to a city or town with a police force, he shall also inform the chief of police in each of those cities or towns.
    PL

"Pain heals, chicks love scars, and glory lasts forever"

PL:

I was wondering about laws, both federal and state concerning the possession of automatic, push button and butterfly knives. I have a book printed in the late 80's that gives a rundown on federal laws but I think it may be dated by now.

As a Bounty Hunter, I think a switchblade would be the perfect tool for self-defense and performing any other task that needs to be done in a hurry.

Originally posted by J S Walters
    PL:

I was wondering about laws, both federal and state concerning the possession of automatic, push button and butterfly knives. I have a book printed in the late 80's that gives a rundown on federal laws but I think it may be dated by now.

As a Bounty Hunter, I think a switchblade would be the perfect tool for self-defense and performing any other task that needs to be done in a hurry.
    Here is a link that lays out the state by state laws on knives.

http://pw1.netcom.com/~brlevine/sta-law.htm
    PL

What a pisser! A guy can carry a concealed weapon in Indiana but not a switchblade. That just doesn't make sense.

Thanks PL.

And what about brass-knuckles?

(This seems like a mob story)

How about an expandable baton, blackjack, tazer, stungun or lead lined gloves? Will they allow you to carry these things? Or is our only defense our good looks and smooth talking?

I believe most of those are all covered under concealed weapons laws for your state that can be found at your county sheriffs office.
    PL

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    How about an expandable baton, blackjack, tazer, stungun or lead lined gloves?
    Oh, I don't need those. I married a nice sweet young lady who came packaged with all of those "options".

Originally posted by David Copeland

Oh, I don't need those. I married a nice sweet young lady who came packaged with all of those "options".
    WOW!

Some guys get all the luck.

Originally posted by David Copeland
    Well.....How do you like that? I came packaged with those "options" too! In fact, I had to use one of my "options" last weekend, on a fellow whose wheel of fortune, ran out.

WOW! Some guys get all the luck.
    Now this makes me feel real sad. Every good man deserves to have some happiness. I guess we know there are at least two lucky men in this world.

I've got the strong impression that your still waiting your turn J. S. Walters! I don't want to start any trouble but.... if you don't have a "significant other", and your current search remains unsuccessful, don't fret... maybe David has some good connections.

Christine:

Thanks so much for your thoughts. While my wife didn't come equipped with what I call the adventuresome package, she did come with the California package which I consider very fine indeed.

I have a nice picture of the 2 of us that I was gonna post in my testing page but I didn't know if that would be a good trend to start.

J. S. Walters, I guess that you won't need David's connections.

I didn't mean to offend you in any way. I was under the impression by your comment of how lucky David Copeland was, that you did not have a significant other and you were the sad soul on the lonely bench.

I would say that you are a lucky man yourself, if you are happily married. That is awfully hard to come by these days for most couples. (Divorce rate is awfully high).

I would like to see your pictures, but your right, it would start a domino effect. If you plan to attend the convention, I would like to meet you. Possibly you would consider sharing your pictures with me at that time? Sound like a deal?

I have a nice picture of the 2 of us that I was gonna post in my testing page but I didn't know if that would be a good trend to start.
    The After Hours Lounge would be a better area for introducing your wife.

And for those who wish to save their pictures for the convention, that's good too. But the forum software in the After Hours Lounge can accomodate pictures. Remember too, if you decide to change out a picture or edit a topic or reply that you posted, you're free to do that at anytime.

--------

It appears we have strayed off topic regarding concealed weapon permits.

Just one more thing Allen, I promise.
    Originally posted by Christine Palomo-Anderson
    I didn't mean to offend you in any way.
    Christine, Don't worry, I'm not a delicate flower. You are such a sweet lady and I think you could'nt offend anyone even if you tried. I wish I could be more like that. I used to be a chronic offender but in recent years I have learned to keep my big mouth shut when it is prudent to do so. But as you can sometimes tell, I still tend to shoot before checking my field of fire.
    Originally posted by Christine Palomo-Anderson
    ...you were the sad soul on the lonely bench.
    When I first read that I couldn't stop laughing. I thought about it a few times at work today and each time I did, I had to chuckle. Thanks! Mind if I borrow it on occasion?

Just one more thing Allen, I promise.
    When I first read that I couldn't stop laughing. I thought about it a few times at work today and each time I did, I had to chuckle. Thanks! Mind if I borrow it on occasion?
    WoW! Imagine that someone out there is thinking of something I said. Feel free to quote me anytime. If I gave you a chucke, pass the chuckle on. It makes the world go round.

We better get back to the topic here or Allen might want to give me a gentle earful.

Post to the topic
    Concealed Weapons Permit in the State of Montana.