Thread: (CCW) Carry Concealed Weapon

Tanga R Payne Guest

Smile Obtaining/Carrying Weapons While On Assignment

Are new trainees allowed to carry weapons while on assignment? Are there any special rules with IPIU, in addition to existing state laws, in carrying a concealed weapon?

Tanga, you might find your answer if you go to the category called:
    Experienced General Discussion for Private Investigators and scroll down to where it says Concealed Weapon for Private Investigators? Do I really need one?

I hope that helps

P.S. Welcome Aboard! If you haven't done so, you might want to visit the category called:
    Forum Member Introduction Lounge and introduce yourself to the family, they will be happy to meet you.
    Last edited by Jessica Marin -; 07-15-2002 at 02:46 PM.
    Jessica

William R. Larson - is offline (Retired from Forum Activity)

Former Sr. Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum
    Tanga -

Ms. Marin point to a very good discussion, where you will find a bunch of useful information.

Directly regarding IPIU policy on CWP (concealed weapon permit) I am not certain if there is documentation of such a policy, beyond the steps each state requires to legally obtain a CWP (each state is different, of course). We shall have to see what administration and/or Legal Affairs has regarding that. In the discussion Ms. Marin mentioned, you will notice many other opinions of private investigators wanting/needing to use a CWP.

(the majority conclusion thus far is most (not all) jobs as a private investigator will not require a weapon)

Re: Obtaining/Carrying Weapons While On Assignment

Originally posted by Tanga R Payne
    Are new trainees allowed to carry weapons while on assignment? Are there any special rules with IPIU, in addition to existing state laws, in carrying a concealed weapon?
    As long as you have the authority to carry a concealed weapon, and the agency approves of you doing so, then IPIU has no policy regarding it.
    Robert Donovan
    Director - Agent Relations
    Sr. Director - IPIU Ethics Board

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

William R. Larson - is offline (Retired from Forum Activity)

Former Sr. Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum
    There's the answer. Thanks Robert!

Question (CCW) Carry Concealed Weapon

Is the carrying of a concealed firearm involved in any branches of Private Investigative work and if so, does IPIU assist in obtaining a CCW permit?

P.S. Thank you for all the information that your services provide. Also, it was a pleasant suprise to see some of your members quoating scripture.

Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum Member
    Frank,

Be sure to read through the topics in the Trainee Questions & Answers forum. You will find additional information there.

Here's one topic. Click here: Criminal Record of Trainee? Weapons?

You may also find information in the Experienced General Discussion forum: Private Investigators forum.

We have other forums with various discussions. You will gain access to those as you receive upgrades (move through the paper process).

Finally, Mr. Donovan posted this quote above;
    Originally posted by Robert Donovan

As long as you have the authority to carry a concealed weapon, and the agency approves of you doing so, then IPIU has no policy regarding it.
    The requirements for a CCW vary by state and need to be addressed at a local/state level. Some states do not require permits to carry and some do not offer permits to the general public. You should check with your local Law Enforcement office for your states requirements.

Hope this helps.

Hi! Just wanted to thank all of you for your coments on this subject was very helpful.

Re: (CCW) Carry Concealed Weapon

Do Private investigators get gun free zones

Define "gun free zones?" I believe you are referring to areas where you are not regularly allowed to carry with a CCW permit, such as a school or government/Federal building? As in, do Private Investigators with a CCW have the same rights to carry as a Police Office or Federal Agent who do not have to abide by those rules and can carry anywhere they need to?

If that is what you are asking, then no, Private Investigators do not get the same privileges as LEO or Federal Agents.

A Private Investigator is still a private citizen, there is no difference between an investigator's CCW permit and the average citizen. All of the same rules apply, the law does not recognize that you are anything "out of the ordinary" private citizen with a weapon. However, in some states there are actually restrictions on investigator's and the carry of weapons, dependent upon what kind of permit you get. Some states only authorize the use of a CCW for a private citizen for job related activities, while this will allow a private investigator to carry while working, or a security guard to carry while working, etc, it does not provide the same benefits as an actual concealed carry permit which allows a private citizen to carry a weapon.

I hope my answer was clear, and I hope that is what you were looking for? If there is something I can clarify, or if I am way off base and you were actually asking something else, please let me know!

Additionally, you may wish to read through this thread http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9887 it is another discussion on whether you need a weapon or not. While the original thread is quite old there are many more recent responses on the final pages.

Have a great day!

David Palmer is offline Licensed Private Investigator
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Utah, Florida and Nevada offer CCW permits for out of state residents. California does not recognize any of them and other states either restrict or do not honor out of state CCW's. In California obtaining a CCW is quite a feat although per the penal code it should be academic. There are many excellent websites that talk about CCW's nationwide. CCW's are very political in nature and I am proud that IPIU has not buckled to the anti-gun crowd.

Urik Ghazalian is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

A Private Investigator is still a private citizen,and no question about it.
    What about you are case examiner(private investigator)and you have exposed firearm permit,still can you carry gun on you?

If by exposed firearm permit, you are referring to "open carry," then once again it depends on the specific rules of your state. As you stated in your first sentence, a private investigator is a private citizen. The rules that apply for a private citizen to open carry are no different than for a private investigator. If you have a permit to carry, you can carry regardless, unless you are in an area that is prohibited by law. Generally speaking, any area that is prohibited for concealed carry is also prohibited from open carry, unless there is a specific exception. An example of this would be in most states you cannot carry on school property, however, a private security guard employed to protect the same school may be allowed to open carry or carry during their shift. While they are still a private citizen performing a security function, they are specifically authorized to carry in that location.

I hope that is clear, I'm not entirely sure what you are asking, but the short of it is; in most states, concealed carry restrictions also apply to open carry. If you are legally authorized to open carry in your state without a permit, you can do so. If you are authorized to carry with a permit, and you have one, you can carry. I hope that's clear? If I can be more specific, please let me know!

David Palmer is offline Licensed Private Investigator

Dear Urik,

If you are working for a CA-PI and they have you covered under Workers Comp, their liability insurance and you have an employer/employee relationship then you may carry with a Guard and Gun card issued by BSIS as long as you are directed to do so by your employer. The codes that covers this is B&P Code 7521.5/7452/7583. Do not 00000 around with this, be sure that your employer has issued you an ID card (or other documentation) authorizing the carry, that you are really working (or en route to and from) and have a business purpose to carry. If you are stopped by LEO's (or worst you have a shooting incident) you better have your story straight otherwise in CA you will be looking at having to hire an attorney.

Best Wishes,
    DAVE PALMER INVESTIGATIONS
    'While the city sleeps I will hunt for the truth.'

(415) 240-5400
    California State License: 25832
    California Firearms Permit: 277997
    www.DavePalmerInvestigations.com

Tammy M King is offline **

Very informative topic. I for one do have a concealed weapons permit and carry it with me everywhere I go, except of course, restricted areas. It is nice to know I still have that privilage, as long as I adhere to my states guidlines!

Joy Gambrell - is offline Certified SPI

Hello everyone,
    Great info. Thanks to all who contributed. I am in the process of getting my permit. Not sure if I would carry on an assignment unless it was necessary or told to do so. Safety is very important for me. But at the same time, I want to be smart. If I don't need to carry it, then I will leave it @ home.

Urik Ghazalian is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Dear friend David Palmer

Thank you so much for you information.
    I will go with your advice.
    I am case examiner and i have exposed firearm permit.
    Also I have ccw for 31 States.

Teresa Armstrong is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:

I live in the state of MO. Concealed carry permits are rateher easily obtained at this point. It costs $125.00 and is an 8 hour course. Of course you have to pass a background check.
    Ms Teresa Armstrong

Richard Moschetti Jr is offline *** Certified
    Licensed Private Investigator, Retired LEO

Professional Member of:

As a Retired Law Enforcement Officer under HB218 I can carry nationwide without a permit for self protection as long as I qualify annually.

Floyce N Garrett - is offline Licensed Private Investigator

2008 Member of:
    International Private Investigartors Union (IPIU)

THANKS

F.N. GARRETT JR
    Licensed Private Detective (DC # 3096)

http://garrett.investigation.pi-agency.us/
    garrettPI@pi-agency.us

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Moschetti Jr View Post
    As a Retired Law Enforcement Officer under HB218 I can carry nationwide without a permit for self protection as long as I qualify annually.
    In CA, retired LEO's are required to have BSIS issued permits if they will be carrying in conjuction with PI work.

Richard Moschetti Jr is offline *** Certified
    Licensed Private Investigator, Retired LEO

Professional Member of:

Cool Re: (CCW) Carry Concealed Weapon

If I want to carry for PI assignments I have to have a C- PI license and a G- firearm license. I'm talking about carrying as a RETIRED LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER for self protection , not PI work. I AM RETIRED.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Moschetti Jr View Post
    If I want to carry for PI assignments I have to have a C- PI license and a G- firearm license. I'm talking about carrying as a RETIRED LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER for self protection , not PI work. I AM RETIRED.
    I understand; however, the OP of this thread and the subsequent posts pertain to carrying in conjuction with PI duties. I wouldn't want any other RETIRED LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS to mistake the requirement with HR218 (not HB218) I thought I would point that out, WRT to the unique CA requirements.

By the way, why are we yelling, is it loud in here?