Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Whitehouse urges protections against identity theft

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Susan,

I have Identity Theft insurance that covers up to $5000 including time off from work to take care of problems. The figures I have seen one the cost to recover from identity theft is substantially less than $5000.

I have a software package from Broderbund called "Identity Theft Protector" that might be helpful. I paid $9.90 for the software - it lists for $40.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Harris
    I have a software package from Broderbund called "Identity Theft Protector" that might be helpful. I paid $9.90 for the software - it lists for $40.
    Michael,

It's good to see you. We have missed your visits.

Please email our online store with whatever you have on the software item to Mr. Copeland at copeland@ipiu.org . We may wish to include it in our member's store at a great discount.

Thanks.

Robert,

I will do the research and get the information sent off tomorrow.

I was absent due to a near death experience. I am recovered, but I have so much work that I cannot get in the forums often enough to make comments. I do read in the forums every day.

President Bush is doing the correct thing by addressing this issue "Stealing Identities", too many hackers are on-line. That's not the only way but, there are multiple ways of someone stealing your identity. And by addressing this issue people are aware and are more exclusive with who they share there information with.

Petra Post - is offline Retired Administrator
    ***** Certified SPI

Former Insignio Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen Padgett
    I recently signed up for a weekly credit alert from www.truecredit.com. The annual cost is only $9.95 and I receive a weekly e-mail which notifies me if there has been any activity on my credit report or not. I also buy and review a copy of my credit report once per year to verify the accuracy of information. A small price to pay for the huge benefits of keeping on top of things.
    Thank you for the link Kathleen, I will put it to use.

Mike Ha.
    Thanks for the thumbs-up for the ID Protector Software; hopefully it'll be in the IPIU bookstore whenever... I understand you're recovering.

As example of my POOR English learned from grammar school -- Were you sick in bed with the doctor?

I do agree with Kathleen. It is true that it Bush Administration is alerting for this investigation of credit cards. It is better to be save then to be sory.

Kathie,
    Thank you for the link for a credit report. My family will put this to good use since we already had one victim.
    Someone mentioned deceased and hospital patients, as identity theft victims. Very true. A friend hosptialized for lung cancer was a victim. Fortunately her husband discovered her wallet in the drawer next to her bed (she was supposed to leave it at home), and found it empty. He immediately notified the card company and the credit bureaus, but not before the person/s used one card to the tune of $6000. The card company was very good about it due to their situation, she died while in the hospital receiving treatments. The husband was on the rampage about it. The hospital did investigate and one employee was eventually fired for the theft. Who can you trust these days?
    These are the type of people that need our help.
    Barb

Kathy,

Your story brings up two cautions.

1 - Monitor your credit and debit card frequently - several times a week.

2 - When you go to the hospital, leave everything except your insurance card and government-issued ID at home - credit cards, other ID, jewelry, etc.

Thank you so much for this information. Now adays most of your credit cards can have your picture on the card. But like someone said the sales people very seldom look at the person, that is why I really don't like to buy anything over the internet. My daughter in law had her indentity stolen and it took about a year to get everything straighten around and alot of headaches dealing with everyone. I hope this passes.

Fantastic! I'm so glad to hear this. Long time coming.

Patti

Michael Hudson - is offline Licensed Private Investigator
    Private Investigator Forum Member

2006 to 2007 Member of:
    This has been a very long over due problem. I do hope they get on it. Social Security numbers have been abused and that system needs a lot of tweaking as well. The law states that the SSN is only authorized to be used by the employer and the IRS and not legal for CREDIT BUREAUS etc. who have abused this personal number. If you do not furnish it, then they can say sorry have a nice day. It is our POLICY. I do hope we can get a handle on it. Illegaql alien 0000 artists have been getting social security number for their friends for a long time. If a peorson cannot furnish a birth certificate, that the SSA will accept an insurance policy for an infant that does not exist, a computer generate Church Certificate or Baptismal frauduently completed and produced, or yet a family bible is also acceptable. As you see there is all kinds of lattitude for committing ID Fraud and you do not even have to go to a cemetary. Take it from soemone who knows. All of this has been reported over and over during the Clinton Administration who did squat. I am now a free speaking PI who was a career Special Agent back ijn the land of OZ WASHDC who took advantage of the early out program offered to senior Agents. I better stop here. I think I have expressed myself on this one. I look forward to the continuance of this admiistration and it goals and objectives.

Take a look at the GAO report blasting the government for giving out SSN's on ID cards. It's worth reading!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hudson
    This has been a very long over due problem. I do hope they get on it. Social Security numbers have been abused and that system needs a lot of tweaking as well. The law states that the SSN is only authorized to be used by the employer and the IRS and not legal for CREDIT BUREAUS etc. who have abused this personal number. If you do not furnish it, then they can say sorry have a nice day. It is our POLICY. I do hope we can get a handle on it. Illegaql alien 0000 artists have been getting social security number for their friends for a long time. If a peorson cannot furnish a birth certificate, that the SSA will accept an insurance policy for an infant that does not exist, a computer generate Church Certificate or Baptismal frauduently completed and produced, or yet a family bible is also acceptable. As you see there is all kinds of lattitude for committing ID Fraud and you do not even have to go to a cemetary. Take it from soemone who knows. All of this has been reported over and over during the Clinton Administration who did squat. I am now a free speaking PI who was a career Special Agent back ijn the land of OZ WASHDC who took advantage of the early out program offered to senior Agents. I better stop here. I think I have expressed myself on this one. I look forward to the continuance of this admiistration and it goals and objectives.

Thanks for your insight to the problem.

I feel that there is definately a potential here for private investigation work. Stolen identity is becoming more prevalent every year especially in places such as Arizona and Southern California. Unfortunately identity papers are not taken as seriously as they should be. For example, my social security number was printed on the front of my college ID card and it was my passcode into every website for our school. Several complaints were made concering this, but nothing was done until a hacker retrieved every students social security number and full name. Identity theft should not be taken lightly.

To All:

I have read a few articles this year (this is the 8th day of the new year) about ID cards.

One was about a single card for ALL federal government agencies and their contractors - anyone who would ever enter a federal government building for business purposes.

Another article was about the introduction of smart cards - we have been waiting for them for decades; they might actually show up soon.

These two issues are related even though the writers of them made no connection. I have used proximity cards for almost a decade - we needed them to enter or exit the buildings. The cards could have been programmed to function as time cards, but the company had better ways of keeping track of billable time. The cards could also be used to keep track of us as we moved around the building(s). That is a scary thought - if you spend too much time in the restroom at work, the boss knows about it.

Then, link all this with the national standards on DLs - or maybe even a natinoal DL, which might evolve into a national ID card.

Where will it end? And how do PIs make a buck on this?

Leisl,

Thank you for the article on ID theft. It has been come a serious problem. People need to be more careful in how they handle their personal information. They should not give their credit card number out to wisely over the INTERNET. Even when you are throwing out the trash and you have your personal info on old bill statements. They should be shredded or torn up before you dispose of it.

The law do need to take a stronger stance on identity theft, although we as citizens need to take more responsibilities in protecting our private information.

Katrina

Katrina,

When I first posted the story I don't think people were really aware of how often this occurs...but in the past few years it has really become a problem and you are seeing more info being published regarding how to protect yourself...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2