Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Whitehouse urges protections against identity theft

Whitehouse urges protections against identity theft

The Bush Admin. urged Congress to strengthen the nation's credit laws to make it harder for crooks to steal other people's identities.

Lawmakers need to implement a national security alert system. Such a system would allow victims of idenitity theft with a single phone call to notify all financial institutions that their credit information has been stolen.

The changes would be part of a congressional reauthorization that must be done by the end of this year in the uniform reporting standards in the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

Many targets are the most vulnerable members of our society - families of recently deceased, seniors, hospital patients and the men and women serving our nation overseas.

A recent study estimated the 12 million Americans have already been victims of idenity theft and various estimates say that another 1 million could fall victim this year.

Victims spend on average 175 hours trying to recover from this crime.

________

Thought this was interesting, I don't know if there's "work" here for a P.I., but I do see possibilities in helping people who's lives have been affected by this crime.

Kanda,

Sorry, thought I was in the General Newspaper Stories, would you do me a "hugh" favor, and please re-locate to correct forum.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Mr Jose Bonavich Jr; 07-10-2003 at 08:30 PM.

Cheers to this idea. With the recent rash of identity thefts, we really need this national security alert system. This problem is rising in frequency of occurence. Hoping it will be approved and implemented soon. This would save many people a great deal of unnecessary anguish if they were able to report their credit cards as stolen promptly, this may prevent millions of transactions from being approved.
    Kathie

Badge # 6757

I hope that this plan can come foward and work. Identity theft seems to have snuck into the picture as one of the most viscious crimes it seems. Know one really knows how easy it is for their identity to be stolen until it happens to them. By that time, it's to late and the damage is done, possibly making a victim suffer very serious damages in losses.
    Robert Smith

Hello Leisl,
    Thanks for the story. We live in the age of "one stop" everything, network conferencing and high speed data interchanges. We're near the point where a retailer can scan personal checks to confirm sufficient balances. There's no reason why this concept should not be expanded to one stop reporting of stolen financial information, identities and credit cards.

This example of credit abuse just keeps expanding. Protect yourself with getting an updated credit report each month. I joined a group whereby I pay $14.50 a month and get a new report each month. It makes me feel secure and to me it's worth it after reading all the horror stories of people who were victims.

Carolynne

May,

You're exactly right , at least people will be able to "take action" once the theft is known and it will be immediate rather than take days.

Carolynne,

I usually run my credit reports every 6 months, not as often as I should I know . By the way, what group are you with that offers this service, if the question is allowed of course

This is a really scary topic to me, because while I was in Kuwait in 1995. Someone got ahold of my bank account info. and I lost approx. $15,000 by the time I found out. The Bank would only reimburse after I notified them. Being overseas I did not find out until the statements reached me, which was months after it began.

I recently signed up for a weekly credit alert from www.truecredit.com. The annual cost is only $9.95 and I receive a weekly e-mail which notifies me if there has been any activity on my credit report or not. I also buy and review a copy of my credit report once per year to verify the accuracy of information. A small price to pay for the huge benefits of keeping on top of things.
    Kathie

Badge # 6757

Byron,

Sorry to hear that you've suffered from this crime. Hopefully this bill will help others before to much damage has been done, though being overseas it can be difficult to discover the act until it's so late.

_________

Kathleen,

Thanks for the link. I'll be checking into this.

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    See the following for some information.

http://ipiu.org/forums/showthread.ph...ghlight=notary
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Angry ID PLEASE

ID fraud is very popular, on the other hand tis a felony. Some feel that the charge is worth it..

Andre,

In my other world, I stand at the gates to keep the barbarians out.

Fortunately, most of my work is loan signings, it is hard to have fake ID when I show up at your door - I know where you live!
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Andre,

I could count the number of times I have been asked for I.D. when purchasing items with my credit card on one hand. It always amazes me that they don't even look to see if the card is signed. Makes you wonder how much inattention to details is directly linked to credit card fraud.

Michael,

What if the address/phone information is incorrect ????

Leisl,

What does ID have to do with using a credit card?

Just becareful that when the clerk says Thank YOu , Mr. Kennedy, that you do not give it away by asking, "Who?"
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately, we live in an age where most people need that instant gratification. The crooks that steal people's identity have no fear. Apparently they feel no one will ever know them. One of these day their fingerprints will be left for one of us to find..

Colleen L Hayes Badge #6915

Colleen,

Speaking of fingerprints, the National Notary Association is recommending (strongly) that all notaries ask for a right thumbprint along with a signature in the Notary Journal. This will keep a few bad guys from trying to have 'bad paper' notarized.

You have probably gone to a notary who did not even use a journal. It is all too common. Some of us are trying to prevent crimes and some are abetting it.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Hello Everyone,

I find this subject very interesting--and sad! I don't know how anyone could do this to someone else, especially people who are vulnerable and I guess anyone for that matter. I suppose that's why they're called crooks. I think about this very subject everytime I sign up for "mystery shopper" applications. They ask so much info about you, including your ss#. You feel like; is this company legite (in which case they need this info) or is it the one who snuck in and is ready to steal your identity with all the information handed to them, all tied up in a pretty red bow. The laws definitly need to change and become much more harsh for the perpetrater and make things so much easier for the victim! They should not be the ones dealing with the hundreds of headaches trying to straighten it all out. I just felt like putting in my 2 cents into this subject.

Cherie L. Bruni

Cherie,

Sometimes people do not know what they want of us. Everyone wants way too much information.

I have been fingerprinted twice this year and had two criminal warrants checks. Could the two groups share? of course not.

In NJ, a background check done by the state to certify a person for substitute teaching is not valid for the same organization to certify a person for teaching. Explain that one!
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Michael Hudson - is offline Licensed Private Investigator
    Private Investigator Forum Member

2006 to 2007 Member of:

ID Fraud

I think this subject has been overlooked for a long time. It is unfortunate that it had to be an incident as 9/11 to commence taking action. There are so many methods of ID identity change information on the WEB, magazine articles. Several years ago I did a study on this subject and was alarmed how easy it is to acquire ID and SSN's. I tried to convey this to the bureaucrats in Washington and never received a reply and assumed there was no interest nor concerns of the subject. Whether we like it or not, we must devise a new data base type system that will be able to validate bogus identiies ie; counterfeit SSN's, drivers licenses, etc.
    I do not think that the credit bureaus should be the one we have to go to. There are many other ways such as the methods used by the Department of State and INS system for Passport validation. Every day we hear about people being arrested for possessing or manfacturing Identies. It has been a joke for terrorist. I know that we feel that our liberties and privacy's have been eroded somewhat, however in this new millenium and Cyber oriented society we must devise some type of national Identity car similar to a drivers license. States disagree due to possible loss in revenues. However, this certainly can be overcome if we are serious enough about our safety and protection.

M Hudson

Michael,

Now that you are retired from federal service, you have an opportunity to plug the leaks and catch the bad guys.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

2006 to 2007 Member of:
    TO: MH
    FM: MH

If only you knew where I have been and what I have reported back to US of A and has been totally ignored. I will throw a few tid bits.

USAMA Bin Laden Kidney Illness and Diaolosis (Yours Truly)

Counterfit US currency West Africa. (Yours Truly)

The uncovering of at least with no exaggeration by count over one billion U.S. Dollars (Seen)

Witnessed located in so called storage facilities all over West Africa from Liberia to Ghana. These facilities are owned by "ARABS" and enjoy the lack of concerns by certain African Governments. This cash when needed is passed on to bogus shipping companies with bogus Airway Bills and Bogus Diplomatic Courier letters from host government.

Myself and another PI from Miami spent 10 weeks undercover and got out by the grace of God just in time for Europe after we were warned that there was a contract out on us.

Michael, this doesn't even scratch the surface. I kept in contact with my associates here at the FBI field Office and Miami Field Office. It seems that everything we give them from a very very very very reliable source of the region and well known by the intelligence community and the narrow minded idiots at State Department.

It appears that all info passed is beng stone walled and am positively sure that the President is not being informed of what we have uncovered in the past two years like twe years ago my associate in Miami was in Congo and met with Kabilla former assisinated Rebel Leader to discuss some gem trade.

While he was there he called me to advise me that somebody took him to the airport to witness the loading of Uranium destined for North Korea. Now that was two years ago. Our intel is being stonewalled. Again Just where do we go the? the Media???

Anyway, I have another interesting tid bit of intel that may be of interest the is relative to Al Quada ops in Afghanistan that our "RELIABLE" WELL KNOWN SOURCE has furnished to prove his credibility and that was evaluated in Washington but again stonewalled due to inter-agency feuding and politics.

I could go on and on. However, lets save another chapter for anothere time.

Regards

MH

22. Originally posted by Kathleen Padgett
    I recently signed up for a weekly credit alert from www.truecredit.com. The annual cost is only $9.95 and I receive a weekly e-mail which notifies me if there has been any activity on my credit report or not. I also buy and review a copy of my credit report once per year to verify the accuracy of information. A small price to pay for the huge benefits of keeping on top of things.
    Thanks for that link, Kathie. I am going to look into signing up for this service. Identity theft is a scary thing.

23. Originally posted by Michael Harris
    Michael,

Now that you are retired from federal service, you have an opportunity to plug the leaks and catch the bad guys.
    Michael Hudson -

It sounds like your past experiences will be a great asset to you as a private investigator. Your intel information was alarming to say the least . . .

Originally posted by Michael Harris
    Cherie,

I have been fingerprinted twice this year and had two criminal warrants checks. Could the two groups share? of course not.

In NJ, a background check done by the state to certify a person for substitute teaching is not valid for the same organization to certify a person for teaching. Explain that one!

Michael,

That really doesn't make sense! I cannot understand how they wouldn't simply use the prints on file! Do they think they've changed? That's a waste of everyones time and money, I'm pretty sure no one could explain that one!

Cherie

Cherie,

The only person spending is the one being fingerprinted and investigated. In New Jersey, the teacher wanna-be pays big money for a background check. And the fingerprinting cannot be by the local police, you have to go to the commercial firm who has the contract and pay the $63 for a the digital prints.

Sharing is not a New Jersey concept.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Hi Michael,

Wow, I thought all employers that required a background check would pay the cost. I guess I've been a little spoiled by the corporate world
    Kathie

Badge # 6757

Kathie,

Employers do not want to pay the cost of 'potential' employees. To be certified as a teacher or teacher substitute is the first step. You need that to get an interview.

One local jurisdiction decided that all parent volunteers at the schools would have to pay for their own background check, including fingerprints, from their own resources. I like that idea - charge people to GIVE you their time; how dumb can you get?
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Originally posted by Michael Harris
    Cherie,

The only person spending is the one being fingerprinted and investigated. In New Jersey, the teacher wanna-be pays big money for a background check. And the fingerprinting cannot be by the local police, you have to go to the commercial firm who has the contract and pay the $63 for a the digital prints.

Sharing is not a New Jersey concept.
    Michael,
    And I was surprised when I got my fingerprints done the other day for IPIU and had to pay $15! Now I see it's not so bad.

Cherie

Cherie,

IPIU is not out to gouge anyone. The governmental boidies in New Jersey are.

My local police did my fingerprints for free because I am a resident. They either charge for non-residents or refuse to do them. The officer who did mie is a "detective" currently funtioning as the Administrative Sergeant. His son and my daughter are buds.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Hi Michael,

It wasn't IPIU's fee, just the police dept.. I kind of figured it would be free, but I was wrong. I am a resident to now I wish I would of maybe asked a few more questions, I figured it's their policy. You made out good with the no fee. Maybe your daughters friendship helped out! Either way not bad! Have a good one, talk to ya soon.

Cherie

Cherie,

I realize that some police and sheriff's departments charge regardless of residency. I also know that there is a real cost involved in taking fingerprints. The card is not an issue with the IPIU prints, but in general, cards, inkless "ink", the little $730 machine, and the officer's time are important.

In a small community wher the police have learned the community policing is essential, they go out of their way to help residents.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Originally posted by Michael Hudson
    Michael, this doesn't even scratch the surface.
    (I edited your comment by adding multiple paragraphs for each comment you had. I do not believe Michael caught your address to him because the sentences were all run together.)

It appears you have vast undercover experience that will be very beneficial in your current career. I am happy to see you survived returning to the USA.

Julia

ID fraud is very detrimental to a person, another thing you have to look out for is the credit institutions making mistakes I once had a loan for a car I was never late over the 24 monthes of the loan but on my credit it said I was late a total of 28 monthes. Go figure.

2006 to 2007 Member of:
    Jeff;

I concur with your staement re; credit bureaus. Unless the law has changed which may be the case these days, be advised that fewderal law re; SSN's is only authorized for use by the Issuing Agency SSA, the IRS and your employer. By law you do not have to give this out, however the catch 22 is that they do not have to approve you for credit or emplolyment. If anyone makes reference that this a tracking system, a no no. I would contact the SSA ane report that whoever is asking you to break the law in giving out your social or suffer the consequence of being turned down. Again, this law was still in effect during the mid nineties to the best of my knowledge. However since 9/11 whno knows what big brother has added or changed.

The SSN is totally abused in our society and should not be used for identification. Your credit is personal and confidential. Another form of personnel ID should be adopted. Just wonder hown many other people don't even know they have serious errors on their credit that may have or has in fact caused grief for home loan or car etc.

Regards

Michael Hudson
    PI Alabama
    MICHAEL D. HUDSON
    Licensed Private Investigator (AL #14562)
    APIA R-0311-0021
    H&H Associates
    Alabama, USA

Badge 10243

Michael,

Your assessment matches what I learned.

I did not go the next step as you did and look at the possible loss of privacy (SSN) due to 9/11.

Thanks for the great info.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Hi Michael,
    Good points! Thanks. Talk to you later.

Cherie

Originally posted by Kathleen Padgett
    Cheers to this idea. With the recent rash of identity thefts, we really need this national security alert system. This problem is rising in frequency of occurence. Hoping it will be approved and implemented soon. This would save many people a great deal of unnecessary anguish if they were able to report their credit cards as stolen promptly, this may prevent millions of transactions from being approved.

I agree Katie.

Mary
    I am grandmom's baby

Elder Abuse Fraud

As with Idenity Theft, Elder Abuse is on the rise...and unfortunately people are unaware of the financial abuse occurring...

If you suspect someone of being "taken advantage of"...here are some options available to you....

Contact the Eldercare Locator (public service of the U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Svcs) at 1-800-677-1116.
    They will provide you with the numbers of your local agencies.

In addition you can go to www.elderabusecenter.org to learn how to recognize or respond to Elder Abuse...

The Senior Citizen is highly vulnerable to the "con man" and unfortunately due to embarrassment or fear of retaliation rarely report their financial losses.

Lightbulb "Identity Theft" INSURANCE??

FYI-
    By chance I found out that JP Morgan Chase (I have new credit card with them) offers a program for 8 dollars a month to cover customers in case of "IDENTITY THEFT." I thought the application would be similar to applying for an equity-line-of-credit where I would have to itemize every outstanding debt. The customer rep said I would only have to list what other credit cards I have (currently) without listing the number, name of institution for mortgage payments, etc. AND EVERYTHING IS COVERED.

They have their own 'Fraud Detection' department, and the marketing spiel was offering me peace of mind AND totally eliminating at least 2 years of my time and at least $500 to do the investigation.

Locked doors need Keys

This is a most interesting and important topic. I was especially captivated by the posts from Mr. Hudson, who was quite enlightening about the underlying reasons why this area is not progressing as it could.

I would guess that Mr. Hudson has read the book "American Jihad" The terrorists who live among us" by Steven Emerson, who for those of you who haven't heard of him, went undercover, and did a full out investigation, and discovery, unsurpassed in my opinion by any other similar investigations of terrorism that have occurred, much less been made public.
    Nonetheless it fell on closed minds, deaf ears, and blind eyes of those who sit behind doors of titanium, and decide, what is and what is not.

I'd recommend it for reading by anyone in the investigation field as a training book, but also to remind us that even the best information gathered is only as good as it is permitted to be by those who hold the key.

I would say to you Mr. Hudson that the experiences of Steven Emerson, will answer your question and at least affirm the frustration I sensed as I read your words. The media is always a possibility, but it too has locked doors that require keys.

I will make a prediction, and as with most of my predictions it is ahead of it's time, but I foresee that in the future, there will no need for SS cards, Credit Cards, or anything else. The window for fraud will be erased as all this will be available through the new technologies, similar to iris eye scanning and body movement patterns, but will be scanable and detectable by an individuals DNA. Although it will seem like an invasion of privacy, by then people will be more than willing to adjust to that because the benefits will far outweigh the objections.

In the meantime, someone who is entrepreneurial and in a position to do so, could or so I believe, create a much needed service for victims of identity theft, as anyone who has been victimized knows: the amount of red tape, and understanding how to reverse the harm caused by being having your identity stolen, and your credit breached is a full time job. A layperson (for lack of a better word) without adequate resources and methodologies, and also a wide range of access to areas protected by security and without proper clearance a no enter zone, would find it nearly impossible to do everything it takes to clear their name, especially when the damage is substantial i.e. hundreds of thousands of dollars compounded by the length of duration..

As far as I know there are no agencies who specialize in this type of investigation and reparation, but it could be a very lucrative and rewarding business. Especially since some of those victimized have been preyed upon by none other than their own family member, which carries with it an amount of pain hard to imagine when the person who stole your identity is your own son or daughter.

Lots of food for thought. If only I could get paid to do this, my life would be good. Anyway I thought I'd throw this out there for the heck of it! Perhaps someone can benefit from it. Meanwhile if anyone does, can you employ me? I'm still pounding the pavement looking for work, on the outside. I'm just working my way up to Level 4. "See" Y'all around.
    Last edited by Dabra J Grant -; 05-11-2004 at 03:24 PM. Reason: signature inserted
    Dabra J Grant "DJ"
    "Knowledge is Power." Francis Bacon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast