Thread: Process Server Services in Ohio

Question Process Server Services in Ohio

I've got a question, perhaps someon out there has an answer.

What are the requirements for being a process server in the state of Ohio? I'm sure they have some, because there are requirements for everything else here. --NFN

Unhappy What I learned about process servers in Chardon, Ohio

Since I didn't find any info on process servers in NE Ohio on the net, I decided to investigate the matter on my own.

First, I went to the Geauga County Sheriff's office. They directed me to the county court house. There I spoke to two deputies, neither of which knew anything about process serving. They sent me to see the Clerk of Courts. Where I was told that attorneys handle this detail.

OK. I was hot on the trail of the info I needed.

I crossed the square and the street to the closest lawyer's office. There I inquired about process servers in Geauga County. The lawyer I spoke to informed me that in his 28 years of law practice he had never used a process server. The process were served via certified mail.

So as a result of my first investigation I found that here there is no market for a process server in this area. --NFN

Re: Process Server Services in Ohio

Originally posted by Neal Naughton
    What are the requirements for being a process server in the state of Ohio?
    Did you read the topic titled All 50 States Processing Laws in this forum?

In that topic there is a direct link to the laws and other great information. Try it.
    Technical Support
    Administrator

Re: What I learned about process servers in Chardon, Ohio

Originally posted by Neal Naughton
    The lawyer I spoke to informed me that in his 28 years of law practice he had never used a process server. The process were served via certified mail.

So as a result of my first investigation I found that here there is no market for a process server in this area. --NFN
    That lawyer is specializing in areas of law that typically do not require a process server. And most of the business will be from out of town lawyers and not local lawyers.

The use of a process server comes in the following order:

1) Client calls deadbeat customer, and no answer

2) Client mails demand to deadbeat customer, and no response.

3) Client mails certified letter , and deadbeat does not sign for it.

4) Client files for lawsuit and issues notification for deadbeat to appear in court.

5) Client retains process server to serve documents. Deadbeat customer has not been served, and the court now has a reliable vertification.

6) Deadbeat chooses to not show up in court, and Client is awarded full amount of lawsuit.

From there, they get a judgement against assets - which may require more personal service.

The lawyer you spoke to wins his cases by choosing easy pickings that. But what he failed to tell you is that if a lawsuit is filed there are certain requirements that require personal appearance. And if a deadbeat chooses not to sign for the lawyer's certified letter - then he may be faced with retaining a process server.

TIP 2:
    Go to yahoo search and type in:

chardon + ohio + "process server"

Here are the results I got:
    http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=sl...cess+server%22

And it shows there are three (3) companies within a 9 to 21 mile distance from Chardon that are in the business of process serving.

Visit there websites first, and then maybe set up an appointment with the owner under the premise of getting more business for him. Tell him you're in the process of private investigator training, and you may be interested in providing some contacts you come across with extra work for his firm. Do NOT indicate you are looking for a "job". Just talk to him, ask about how he got started, and what his interests are. In other words, develop the relationship!

Here's a quote:

"Employers first look at hiring people they already know, not from the yellow pages or newspapers."

Thanks technical support for the reply

Thanks, that makes more sense than what the lawyer told me. --NFN

Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum Member
    Neal,

Check out the new topic on Ohio.

Click here: http://ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9749

Arrow person designated by the court...

The Ohio rules of law will state clearly that a summons or subpeona may be served:

"by any other person designated by order of court who is not a party and is not less than eighteen years of age".

The trick seems to be how does a person become "designated by order of the court"?

Thanks Joyce,
    You hit the nail on the head. Ohio has thousands of rules and regs the never go away, and never hit the mark. When I was a kid the gang and I went to the library and found that in Ohio you could still carry a shootgun to protect yourself from indians, I don't think they meant the Cleveland Indians, either.