Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shoplifting - A Life & Death Problem

Shoplifting - A Life & Death Problem

Shoplifting a life-and-death
    problem for bookstores

By Ayako Oguni
    Mainichi Shimbun

March 24, 2003

For many struggling bookstores, shoplifting can be the last straw that breaks the stores financially. But the damage that theft causes for stores is often underestimated publicly, and in extreme cases, people have even heaped criticism on the people who have caught shoplifters -- like in one incident in Kawasaki earlier this year.

The case involved a third-year junior high school student who was caught stealing six comic books at a secondhand bookstore in Kawasaki on January 21. When the store alerted police, the boy tried to make a getaway, but while he was escaping, he ran into the path of a train and was killed.

Some people harshly criticized the storeowner for the store's actions afterwards, calling him a "murderer" and protesting that the boy was "merely shoplifting." But Kinya Shimazaki, president of the Bunkyodo bookstore chain and a strong opponent of shoplifting says that incidents like this are forcing stores into bankruptcy. He says a tough stance needs to be adopted.

"At our stores, we report shoplifters to police even if they are only elementary school students," Shimazaki says. "This is to make them understand the seriousness of crime.

"If someone is caught shoplifting, we don't quietly take them to a police box, or have a police officer come in through the back door. We have a uniformed police officer come in through the front door and then we hand the shoplifter over to him. We try to reduce the damage from shoplifting by making our firm stance widely known."

Some may argue that contacting the parents of young shoplifters is sufficient to deal with their crimes, but Shimazaki says that this doesn't work nowadays because of the attitude that the parents often adopt.

"When we contact parents and have them come to the store, some of them suddenly take the offensive and angrily say, 'It's only shoplifting,' or 'You just want us to pay the money, right?' This is the case for about 80 percent of parents. You can't always trust in the parents to properly teach their children."

Shimazaki's low tolerance toward shoplifters goes back a long way -- it was shoplifting, in fact, that got him into the book business in the first place.

"The reason I quit my job at a bank about 30 years ago and started helping out at the bookstore my father run was because the shop was on the brink of going into bankruptcy because of shoplifting," Shimazaki explains. "At the time our store measured about 33 square meters. We employed several part-time workers and when we had one staff member follow each customer that came into the store, we caught about 40 shoplifters in one month. However, most of them were adults and there were hardly any children. That's completely different now. Now a lot of shoplifting is from minors, including junior high school and high school students."

He says shoplifting has been a life-and-death problem for bookstores since long ago, and 'shoplifting bankruptcies' are an everyday occurrence. "If the shoplifting rate reaches 1 percent of all the books a store handles, it won't be able to survive. Shoplifting is one of the main reasons that year by year, about 5 percent of the nation's bookstores go out of business. At our 235 stores, shoplifting costs us about 400 million yen a year. Nationwide, the financial damage to bookstores is estimated at between 20 billion and 30 billion yen a year."

Shimazaki says that the type of thefts has become worse recently.

"In the past, there were a lot of cases where shoplifters would steal one or two books that they wanted to read, but recently people are stealing dozens of books so they can sell them."

A lot of the stolen books are passed on to "new secondhand-book stores" -- stores that sell secondhand books in new condition, says Shimazaki.

"When a new secondhand-book store appears, there is a tendency for shoplifting to increase at the other bookstores in the area," he says. "When the shoplifters are caught, they are usually found with expensive books and photo collections that they normally wouldn't read themselves. The books are sold to new secondhand-book stores that offer to buy them at high prices. These shoplifters will steal an entire series of a comic book. If there is just one book missing, they won't be able to sell the goods at a high price."

In some cases, says Shimazaki, book slips that are usually removed when the books are sold are still attached to the items in new secondhand-book stores, clearly indicating that they have been stolen.

Security labels are one way that some stores have countered the problem often used, but these are sometimes removed by thieves. Shimazaki says that ones that are embedded into books at the binding stage are more effective, but publishing companies are reluctant to take up this option because of the cost. This attitude needs to change, he says.

"It is the bookstores that are victimized by shoplifting, and for the publishers, it's a matter of profits. But recently new publications are being sold in new secondhand-book stores immediately after they are released, which is affecting the sales of the publishing companies as well. It is not just someone else's problem now. Shoplifting countermeasures are an issue for the whole book industry."

This is a subject that has been touched on many different ways in the past. No matter which way you look at it, or who it's happening to, everyone loses when shoplifting occurs. I have made my point of view obvious of this subject for some time now, and I honestly believe that this type of crime could start to begin to lessen if the legal system for this country would get more serious and enforce stricter laws for people caught doing this crime. Otherwise, no matter how you go about it, or how many shoplifters a company stops or catches, it will continually grow and decrease the bottom line for any kind of retail business.
    Robert Smith

Robert,

I agree. There are far too many people, some parents and some NOT, that say "It's just shop lifting".
    Some feel that time is better spent with law enforcement searching for the hardened criminal.
    The queston is "WHERE" does it all start.

I am certainaly no expert on criminal behavior however I do believe there is or may be a progression of criminal activity and may or could just start with simple shoplifting.

Weather it be a book, cd, or a piece of clothing, it's all the same
    and a crime no matter how trivial the item may seem to be. Everyone looses when shoplifing occurs. The store owner, the store itself, the future patrons, and the shoplifter also loose.

The shopflifter, like EVERY other person... " write's his/her own history". We make our own choices everyday and pay for the choices we make.

The story refered to is a sad one, but the book store owner was no more responsible for the shoplifter's death than you or I.

The shoplifter made his own choice to run away from the consiquences of making that choice by not facing reality, and now this shoplifter will never get another chance.
    Sara Pickett
    Private Investigator Trainee

You are so right, Robert. The subject has come up several times in different ways. I clearly recall and share your past and current views. For some reason, I just never thought that anything but rare books would be targeted as well! Is nothing safe? Is there a shoplifting ring for toothpaste and floss? Where will it end? I always thought shoplifting was limited to items of obvious value that would turn an immediate profit. In my mind, this story suggests that criminals may now view this type of crime as something more or less than an easy way to make a fast profit.

Reading this story confirmed that this problem spans the globe and crosses cultures. I agree that this worldwide problem can only be adequately addressed with more stringent, effective and consistently applied laws.

Thank you for your comments.
    Last edited by May K. Toney; 07-06-2003 at 02:11 AM.

Hi Everyone,

Here's a story I thought might bring a smile to your face.

When I was 6 yrs old, I was with my mother in a small gas/convenience store, while she was paying for gas I was "eyeing" the candy that was of course displayed at my level. Not thinking about it, I picked up 1 chocolate football (foil wrapped). Well, when we got out to the car, my mom saw what I had in my hand. She told me to go back into the store and tell the owner that I "stole" it, she didn't drag me into the store or even go with me, she just stood by the car and watched. Well, I of course, did not want to do this, I didn't even know what I had done was wrong, but off I went. The owner was so impressed that I had come back in to return the piece of candy, that he let me have the candy as a reward for being honest.

I don't know if that experience has kept me "honest" but I will certainly never forget it, and if I should ever have children, I think I will follow my mother's example if I should discover one of my children taking things without paying for them

I never would have thought about second hand books as a source of illegal revenue and a market for stolen books. I too thought shoplifting was limited to "personal wants" and items of value that people could sell for large profits.

We need more parents like Liesl's who teach their children responsibility and values. Cheers to your mom Leisl, she taught you a valuable lesson without humiliating you in your innocense of childhood.
    Kathie

Badge # 6757

Leisl,

Your mother is to be commended. Something similar happened to me with one of my sons years ago. He came home with a candy bar that I knew he didn't have money to buy. When confronted about where it came from, he admitted that he stole it. We returned to the store and I had him tell the owner/manager what he had done. He was really ashamed and the owner thanked him for returning the item and being regretful. As far as I know he never stole again and is now a successful businessman.

The standards have to be set at home giving a strong moral base.

Carolynne

Kathleen & Carolynne,

I will admit at the time I didn't appreciate the lesson my mother was teaching me but over the years I grew to understand. I agree that lessons of morality begin at home and those of us fortunate enough to have parents that teach us those lessons are blessed.

Carolynne, Leisl,
    It's interesting that you mention how, even petty theft, was dealt with in your home. That brought to mind a few favorite sayings of my parents that lasted me a life time. First, "Don't touch anything you can't pay for because it will cost you a great deal more than it's worth". Second, "If you don't have respect for the property of others, you have none for us and the way we raised you. Either one requires that we revisit the issue in a private session that will last until we change your mind."

My parents were both loving and caring people but they refused to raise or provide for criminals of any sort...at any time. I was always more afraid of them than anyone or anything else. They were dedicated to be our parents first. Friendship came much, much later. I'm not a supporter of child abuse. However, it's apparent that much of this parent-child understanding has been lost over the years. Parents are so busy trying to be their child's best friend they forget that they must be parents.

Parents are so busy trying to be their child's best friend they forget that they must be parents.
    That's it in a nutshell ...My mother and I didn't become friends until I became a much wiser adult though she still does the mother thing, we've also become extremely close friends.

I think part of the problem is that parents/teachers/authority figures are so afraid of prosecution for "child abuse" that they hesitate to do anything to correct a child's behavior. Though many charges are ultimately found to be "inaccurate" the nightmare of proving your innocence can cost you your job/home/family/etc.....so most people have come to the conclusion that no action is better than possible accusations.

And of course, that decision of inaction leads us back to shoplifting, because the child never learned the morality of stealing.

May, Leisl,

Both of you have underlined valid points. Discipline and being taught right and wrong only enhance the moral fiber of the child. I certainly do not espouse any beatings etc. but do believe that a child should be taught that there are penalties and rewards for certain behaviours. They have to understand the differences.

Carolynne

Originally posted by Carolynne Giffoni
    Discipline and being taught right and wrong only enhance the moral fiber of the child.
    As usual, Carolynne, both you and Leisl are right on target.
    MT

God's promises are like stars; the darker the night, the brighter they shine.

May,

Thanks for seeing the merit in my beliefs. There are some persons that think right will surface as a miracle. I can't remember ever hitting my sons but just explaining things in a "sit down"....which they dreaded...hehe I made a point of laughing together, and when the laughter wasn't there...they knew something wasn't right and just dreaded the "lecture". But the lectures did sink in, and the loss of laughter made a point, and they knew and learned that an example was always being set. I never said.."don't swear" and then swear myself. I bit my tongue when I felt like swearing....and they learned later that I could indeed swear....but not when they were in their early years.

I might add that swearing to me is rather simplistic to what I hear nowadays...my swearing is "***", "bloody ***", son-of-a-, etc. Oh well.....the proof is in the pudding as they say, and my sons are successful and happily married. I admit that my old fashioned ways perhaps don't work for those with new philosophies...just that it was successful for me. Their solid base of morality will serve them well as they teach their own children...its all a domino theory...

Carolynne

You are to be commended, Carolynne, in the rearing of your children and your sense of moral values. It made me smile when you spoke of your efforts not to swear around your little ones. In my case, I made up stupid little words and phrases, fiddly stix or fuddly dud. The kids knew I was upset simply by the way I said them.

As adults, our children have repeatedly thanked us for the way we raised them. There were lectures, punishments and spankings but lots of love, care, discipline and guidance thrown in for balance. Parents and children have to deal with so much today that I empathize with them. It's much more difficult for them to balance things in their homes and in their lives.

Hello, I agree with almost everyone that replied to this story. When I was about 3 1/2 to 4 years old. Maybe to young to understand that candy that was laying around (In the box on the Rack) was not put there for me like at Grandma's house. I took a peice of gum and stuck it in my mouth. Well as a lesson my mom made me tell the owner that I stole it. Then to help drive it home a little better my mom called my uncle who is a police officer, and he showed up with the siren blaring and lights flashing. After I was cuffed by my uncle and put in a cell in my little town that I lived in the point was cut into my soul of stealing is wrong and if it is not yours you better not touch it.

Angry

Originally posted by May K. Toney
    You are so right, Robert. The subject has come up several times in different ways. I clearly recall and share your past and current views. For some reason, I just never thought that anything but rare books would be targeted as well! Is nothing safe? Is there a shoplifting ring for toothpaste and floss? Where will it end? I always thought shoplifting was limited to items of obvious value that would turn an immediate profit. In my mind, this story suggests that criminals may now view this type of crime as something more or less than an easy way to make a fast profit.

Reading this story confirmed that this problem spans the globe and crosses cultures. I agree that this worldwide problem can only be adequately addressed with more stringent, effective and consistently applied laws.

Thank you for your comments.
    ALVIN DEAN WILKERSON

Angry

you are so right! rob things like this is what makes this world thinks that they can do what ever they want to do. thats why the world needs people like us( p. i.) to do the right things for people who can't do for them self.
    ALVIN DEAN WILKERSON

Byron,

I'm glad when I "lifted" my piece of candy my mom didn't know anyone in the police department .

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Unfortunately, many people are quick to blame the victim of the crime (e.g., the bookstore manager) and not the perpatrator if the perpatrator gets hurt.

I support the bookstore management in this. I had no idea that shoplifting was so bad for bookstores. The link between the establishment of a second-hand bookstore and the rise of shoplifting is one I never would have suspected.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Unhappy It's too bad.

It's too bad to see these things happen. I'm glad to see the owner is taking such a hard stand on this, though. Someone needs to do it. I never would have thought books were such a popular target for stealing, but it might have something to do with how easy it is. Books are one of the few things that aren't sold in any packaging, they're compact, mass produced, and most lack any security device. Not to mention the common bookstore setup-all those aisles offer privacy. The device inserted into the binding of the book sounds like a good idea, and I hope the publishing companies don't wait until their shoplifting loss outweighs the cost of using them. They may be able to wait that long, but I doubt the small bookstores can.

Badge # 6758

Originally posted by Byron Burke II
    Then to help drive it home a little better my mom called my uncle who is a police officer, and he showed up with the siren blaring and lights flashing. After I was cuffed by my uncle and put in a cell in my little town that I lived in the point was cut into my soul of stealing is wrong and if it is not yours you better not touch it.
    Hi Byron,
    My husband was the most creative disciplinarian I'd ever seen. But even he would not have thought of this one and our families are loaded with law enforcers!

The shoplifting story still bothers me. The attitude of the public is worse than the death of the shoplifter.

We need for society to figure out what is right and what is wrong.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

True that it is sad the young boy died by such a horrific circumstance.
    It is also true that stores have to shut their doors and go out of business due to shop lifting.

I wonder, when shop lifters are caught, can they also be booked for "theft of revenue" and "loss of income?"

DJ
    DJ
    Badge #5625

Life is the souls nursery- its training place for the destinies of eternity.

William M. Thackeray

Diane,

You have been busy today. I have received a dozen emails saying you responded to one of my subscribed threads.

As to the shoplifting: I would file civil suits (plural) against the shoplifters. I think 'loss of income' and 'emotional distress' should work for a start. I would sue the parents of any juvenile shoplifter seperately.

Police need to have clearly defined standards for chases. I read about one last night (for my CJ classes) -- officers cannot go more than 30 mph over the posted limit. This works when the officers have had a certified course in high-sped chases.

So, chasing a 'bad guy' at 75 mph in a 55 mph zone is okay, but 75 mph in a 50 mph zone is not. This should reduce some of the accidents, and more importantly, some of the fatalities.

Other rules should deal with the nature of the crime. You can persue a murder or rape suspect with more vigor than you would a jaywalker or flasher.

It was truly an eyeopening article.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Yes. It sure sounds like a true eye opener.
    Many states have adopted new laws in pursuit of suspects, especially in cars.
    I've read stories where many innocent bystanders have been fatally injured due to high speed chases.
    My brother is a policeman. I worry about their safety also.
    DJ
    DJ
    Badge #5625

Life is the souls nursery- its training place for the destinies of eternity.

William M. Thackeray

Diane,

There are published surveys and stories that show what works in different types of communities. No small or mid-sized police department needs to do anything but literature reaserch to find a set of standards that should work for them.

Of course, once instituted, they will need tinkering and tailoring. I am a business process engineer - I understand this.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Angry A Serious Problem

One of my courses deals with shoplifting and a majority of shoplifters are drug addicts who steal so they can sell it for cash.Also another problem is organized crime rings called Booster mobs that operate in gangs and protect each other just like a gang does.A newspaper in Los Angeles recently reported that 75% of the shoplifting in LA is drug addicts.The Booster Mobs on the other hand are professional organizations who scout stores that are easy targets and then send in a team of 3 or 4 people.Half of them will try to make it obvious they are shoplifting so as to attract the attention of security,while the other half are ripping the store off with no one watching.They are not worried so much about getting busted because the "mob" will bail them out. The best thing a store can do is to prosecute to the fullest extent of the law.A lot of stores are not willing to do this,thus they earn reputations as easy targets.The stores that do prosecute and have signs saying they will usually get a reputation as "tough on crime" and the word gets out on the steet and the crooks stay away. The course recommends that if you are hired to be a store detctive then you should also encourage the management to prosecute always regardless of who it is.If it is a teenager and it is his first time it is better to teach him a lesson the first time rather than take it easy on him and he moves on to more serious crimes.
    Jeffrey R. Pedrotti

From a personal point of view, I just recently ended a relationship with a mother of two small children. She would routinely think nothing of going into a store and helping herself to the grapes in the produce aisle or sneaking into one or more movies within a single theatre while paying for only one. And of course her children were there to witness all of this. Obviously, these were small things that to her were 'no big deal'.

Now this wasn't a mother who hated her children. As a matter of fact, if you asked her, she was the greated mother in the world, denying her children nothing - except discipline. She could not understand my point of view that all these subtle behaviors were being witnessed by her children; witnessed and duplicated. I am convinced, especially moreso after reading a number of these posts, that criminals are slowly molded because of simple bad parenting. Of course there are other factors involved such as living in neighborhoods with high crime rates, etc. But parents can and do make the difference.

I agree wholeheartedly that any crime is a crime and should be handled accordingly rather then swept under the rug.

Mark,

I have two points to make concerning your post.

1) I am sorry that your relationship had to end, but I commend you for your courage in ending it.

2) You make a very good point about the development of criminals.
    I am convinced, especially moreso after reading a number of these posts, that criminals are slowly molded because of simple bad parenting. Of course there are other factors involved such as living in neighborhoods with high crime rates, etc. But parents can and do make the difference.
    I hope the woman realizes what she has done to her children.

I know what can happen on the flip side - when you talk to your children about doing right, show them by example what the right things are, and discipline them when they need it. I have an almost grown-up daughter and she knows right from wrong by watching her parents do the right things.

My daughter does get upset when she sees those who do illegal or unethical things prosper.

Again, thanks for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Sara E Pickett
    I agree. There are far too many people, some parents and some NOT, that say "It's just shop lifting". Some feel that time is better spent with law enforcement searching for the hardened criminal. The queston is "WHERE" does it all start.
    Sara,
    "WHERE DOES IT ALL START?" That seems to be the question, doesn't it?

I have attached a link that I found to be quite interesting and applicable. If you begin to take care of the minor offenses, it helps to control the major offenses.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/crime/windows.htm

Julie Mercer

I like the article that I read ,there should have foot patrol this they will get to knowthe people.This way they would trust the police more and he eaclph other.
    Pat

Think back when my brother got busted for shoplifting,my dad did the same thing took him in the store in front of everybody and tell the manger what he did.Some people thought my dad was wrong,there was more that agred with him.
    Pat

Pat,
    Good for your dad! That is an excellent way to handle the situation. It certainly instills accountability! There doesn't seem to be too much of that anymore. It sounds like we grew up with the same parenting style, I am a better person for it!

Have a good day
    Julie Mercer

This is an unfortunate sad but true story. The bookstore owner had no idea the kid would take off and run. That is the problem with the world today. People dont take responsibility for their own actions. I have seen the scenario where parents take the offensive towards you instead of their kids who commited the crime. People do not realize that shoplifting opens the doors to many other crimes. I have found out from shoplifters it is addictive. If they get away with it the first time they want to try again. One even told me it is an adrenaline rush to get something out of the store untouched. As far as people on the victims side, I believe part of that goes down to the way the newspapers and TV reporters write and report the news. The way they make a story sound makes people react to things without knowing the whole story or the full truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sheffield
    As far as people on the victims side, I believe part of that goes down to the way the newspapers and TV reporters write and report the news. The way they make a story sound makes people react to things without knowing the whole story or the full truth.
    Isn't that the truth!

Julie Mercer

It is a very interesting topic on "Shop Lifting". I do agree on most of your opinion. Parents, adults or children you can not trust because now a days it can be anyone shop lifting. It is a crime but some do not care of gettig caught for the major or minor offenses.

Yes, it is very true, everyone does did get hurt in a situation like this. The store owner takes a major sat back when items are stolen and the shoplifter sometimes learns his/her lesson the hard way. One thing I have come to terms with is the finger shouldn't always be pointed towards the parents. It comes a day that male/female is responsible for their own actions. There are so many parents out there teaching and raising their children to do the right thing instead of the wrong, but in reality it's still that child decision to make the right choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Dehe
    From a personal point of view, I just recently ended a relationship with a mother of two small children. She would routinely think nothing of going into a store and helping herself to the grapes in the produce aisle or sneaking into one or more movies within a single theatre while paying for only one. And of course her children were there to witness all of this. Obviously, these were small things that to her were 'no big deal'.

Now this wasn't a mother who hated her children. As a matter of fact, if you asked her, she was the greated mother in the world, denying her children nothing - except discipline. She could not understand my point of view that all these subtle behaviors were being witnessed by her children; witnessed and duplicated. I am convinced, especially moreso after reading a number of these posts, that criminals are slowly molded because of simple bad parenting. Of course there are other factors involved such as living in neighborhoods with high crime rates, etc. But parents can and do make the difference.

I agree wholeheartedly that any crime is a crime and should be handled accordingly rather then swept under the rug.
    I couldn't agree with you more, Mark. Parents do make the difference. Those who treat these behaviors as 'harmless antics' are in for years of heartbreak later on.

It would be nice if the parents behaving dishonestly were caught and reprimanded in front of the children. It might help undo some of the damage.......providing the parent takes it seriously from that point.

Shop lifting can sometimes be the first step to a life of crime. This crime can be charged as burglary, depending on the persons intent, when they enter the business, which can then be charged as a felony. And sometimes as we all know things escalate, and it gets worse as time moves on. In my opionion these minor crimes should be dealt with more seriously.A traffic violation will cost you more than alot of what I feel are much more serious criminal violations, such as shop lifting.

Flora Porter is offline * Certified SPI
    Distinguished Member of Private Investigators Forum

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie Mercer
    Pat,
    Good for your dad! That is an excellent way to handle the situation. It certainly instills accountability! There doesn't seem to be too much of that anymore. It sounds like we grew up with the same parenting style, I am a better person for it!

Have a good day
    Julie Mercer
    Hi Julie,

I can relate. My father did instill accountability for my actions. I came home from the store with a piece of candy or potatoe chips that i did not pay for. Well, my dad took me back to the store to pay for stuff i didn't pay for. At some point in my life he washed my mouth out with soap for cussing. I am glad i grew up with a father's supervision.
    He kept me in check.

Flora

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast