Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Forensic Evidentiary Photographer

I'm glad to read that I'm not that only one that isn't turned-off by viewing cadavers. Well I'm not "turned-on" either.

I had to view cadavers during the training process of a former career path, and I found it extremely interesting to see all the layers of muscle, veins, arteries, etc.... while my fellow classmates were peeking thru the fingers covering their eyes!

Though these were mostly "healthy" bodies, not ones that were mangled and bloody........ maybe that would change my view? I don't know.

Certainly an area for me to check out.

Thanks for posting the article, and for the other suggestions about forensics above.

Stimulating article packed with deadening reality!

Originally posted by Lisa Hawkinson
    I'm glad to read that I'm not that only one that isn't turned-off by viewing cadavers. Well I'm not "turned-on" either.
    That comment reminds me of the time I was able to watch my father perform and appendectemy on someone at the hospital. This was before they forbade any non-medical personnel in the room. I did OK until they pulled up an intestine with the forceps. The nurse caught me as I fainted. I think I was only about 12 years old at the time. Before my dad became a doctor he fainted at the site of blood. I guess it goes to show you that fears can come and go...

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Ken,

When my older sister was in nursing school (she is an RN), she used to watch operations and get hungry!

Originally posted by Michael Harris
    Ken,

When my older sister was in nursing school (she is an RN), she used to watch operations and get hungry!
    As a teenager I became immune to the blood and guts because my father would share all the nitty details of his surgeries and procedures during supper. It got so I could eat anything and still listen to his bloody stories. Later in college some classmates were trying to gross me out in the commons while I was eating and nothing fazed me. They were amazed. I attribute that to my father's stories.

B Ann Craig - is offline Administrative Forum Trainer

Sr. Certified Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum
    Originally posted by Ken Rohrer
    Later in college some classmates were trying to gross me out in the commons while I was eating and nothing fazed me. They were amazed. I attribute that to my father's stories.
    Ken, I just thought I would ask, if you went to Indiana University? Every time I hear the word "commons", when someone is talking about college, I think of the commons at IU.

Have a wonderful week. Take care.
    Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves;
    We are his people, and the sheep of his pasture...be thankful unto him, and bless his name. Ps 100

Visit our New Home Page: www.ipiu.org

Originally posted by B Ann Craig

Ken, I just thought I would ask, if you went to Indiana University? Every time I hear the word "commons", when someone is talking about college, I think of the commons at IU.

I received my Masters from IU but at the Indianapolis campus. My grandfather and parents attended IU Bloomington however. I have had many visits to the Bloomington campus and picked up on their lingo. The incident I was referring to happened at Ball State University, however. There they call them "dining halls" as if the food were of dining quality!

I went to IU Bloonington, Ivy Tech in Bloomington, NRI Schools, and a summer at Purdue, also. My Purdue time was, many, many moons ago.

My younger brother's son went to IUPUI, and his youngest daughter is going to Purdue.

It nice to find someone at IPIU that has gone to IU. Did you teach computers? This thought I would ask.

Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves;
    We are his people, and the sheep of his pasture...be thankful unto him, and bless his name. Ps 100

Originally posted by B Ann Craig
    I went to IU Bloonington, Ivy Tech in Bloomington, NRI Schools, and a summer at Purdue, also. My Purdue time was, many, many moons ago.

My younger brother's son went to IUPUI, and his youngest daughter is going to Purdue.

It nice to find someone at IPIU that has gone to IU. Did you teach computers? This thought I would ask.
    Actually I taught art but I have taught online computer courses. I am currently teaching online computer courses for the University of Phoenix.

I took a few classes at IU-Bloomington to renew my teaching license.

Originally posted by Ken Rohrer
    Actually I taught art but I have taught online computer courses. I am currently teaching online computer courses for the University of Phoenix.

I took a few classes at IU-Bloomington to renew my teaching license.

That is great. I took some computer classes at IU-Bloomington. In 1995, and for the next couple of years. I, also, took some computer classes at Ivy Tech, and NIR. Now I love computers.

I never even touched a coumpter before, I started my classes in 1994. Then I found out that my grades would be 20% higher if I did them on a computer. I hit those classes starting spring of 1995.

I was able to tutor some of the computer classes, and math classes there.

I found this artical to be very informative. Not that I would enjoy this type of photography but my niece is interested in both photography and forensics. She's in the 10th grade and honor roll student. I sent her a copy of this artical. It might give her something to strive for Thanks

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Donna Reagan
    For other Forensic Photographer resources,

Click here:
    http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=%22...=20&fl=0&x=wrt

Your thoughts on the review of the above article?

I am impressed with this article. I find forensic shows on TV interesting and the investigating behind it all fascinating. I don't know, however, that I would be very good in this field for long. I respect those that are and God knows we need their expertise.

Thanks so much for the article, I think I will take things a LOT slower.
    Angela Virgo

I love the article! Forensic Sceince is a very intresting field to get into. I love watching Forensic Sceince on Court TV, and I learn alot from that show and lot of other shows on Court TV. I love to get into that kind of Field but, thats not me. I love the PI work which if you think about it there is alot Forensic Work in the PI field. I love the part about the Mouse and the Gun, it's sad but I couldn't help laughing.

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Richard,

If you enjoy forensic science, you may enjoy reading the novels by Kathy Reich - she is a board-cerified forensic anthropologist.

I have learned so much from her books - the one I am readiing today has taught me about outlaw motorcycle clubs in addition to forensic science.

Thanks

Thank you for the Info Mr. Harris, I well look her up.

Aloha,

My wife has started to get serious about becoming a PI. We both sent our original application in at the same time, but she has yet to begin the process.

I showed her this article and she was facinated, as I was too.

She now is getting her fingerprints done and filling out the paperwork.

Forensics has always been her passion. I too find it facinating!

It is amazing what opens peoples eyes though!

Aloha

Eric Cohen

Smile It's a good thing, Eric

Eric,

Glad to know that you and your wife are now in the hunt. I'm still excited myself and I just finished my paper work to recieve my print docs and have the warrant check done. Hang in there you guys, hope to converse with you down the line.

Clinton,

Re: It's a good thing, Eric

Originally posted by Clinton Hendricks
    Eric,

Glad to know that you and your wife are now in the hunt. I'm still excited myself and I just finished my paper work to recieve my print docs and have the warrant check done. Hang in there you guys, hope to converse with you down the line.

Clinton,
    Aloha Clinton,

Patience is the word of the day. I am at Level 3 and should have my manual this week. It has been a methodical process to get to this point. But well worth the time invested.

Best of Luck

Aloha

Eric Cohen

Good Job Eric I am trying to get to level Two so I can learn more. I just called in to get a Pre-Enrollment application so I can get started to earn my Licensess.

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Richard Greiner
    Good Job Eric I am trying to get to level Two so I can learn more. I just called in to get a Pre-Enrollment application so I can get started to earn my Licensess.
    You all sound so well informed. At times I feel I'm getting the hang of this but sometimes I feel like I just need more information. I'll keep reading the forums, but I think now it's time to hit the librarys.
    Angela Virgo

Aloha Angela,

Don't get frustrated. The process is not a quick one. However nothing worth achieving comes quickly.

Just keep on reading and asking questions.

Best of Luck

Eric

Good things come to those who waits!

Post This a great article to have on the forum.

My hat goes off to Kelly Root, I would love to be in her position. I do photography as a hobby and would like to incorporate it in my PI career.

I have seen an autopsy performed that was some years ago it was part of my OR training. She said CSI was glorified for the viewers which is true.

The rate of pay wasn't mentioned in the article nor the threads. Does anybody know? What educational background is needed to become a forensic photographer?

Mary
    I am grandmom's baby

Great article. I am a faithful veiwer of CSI and CSI Miami. I am just fascinated by that kind of work. It's an area I am looking forward to getting into.

Wow!!! It was a great article, very informative. I've always wanted to get into the forensic side of law enforcement, and the photography seems very interesting.

I'm sure the pay must really be worth it as well. I think I'm gonna look more into that field to see if it would be right for me.

Thanks for all the great information...
    Nate

The eye in the shadows.

HI all, I thought her story was great , and i enjoyed reading it . I like her outlook in her shots as to show death as a final time. Teenagers do have this feeling as there life will go on and nothing can hurt me . I would enjoy a career like this , and use my photography years in this career.

Photography

I like this article,this show me differtentside of photography which I can take up.
    Pat

if burn out happens in forensic photography...

what is a logical progression as a next job?
    ps
    that article was excellent...
    thank you

What an excellent and very informative article! Forensics is a wonderful field and it takes a special type of person to enjoy that line of work. I know I would!

Donna:

Thank you so much for sharing this informative article!

Jackie

Forensics

What a way to live your life. Just thinking of the detail is awsome. It must be great to know all the fine points to getting the data needed to solve a problem.

I want to be able to have that kind of knowledge in my work and be able to obtain the results that solve problems.

Thanks

Forensic Evidentiary Photographer....

Excellant article, I love photography - had a camera in my hand since i was a kid. I've dealt with death in several ways and never gave any thought to the issues in this article. Like the author said, most people just turn the body over to the Funeral Home and its handled from there. As much as I love photography I highly doubt that i would ever find this type of field appealing to me enough to make it my niche.....sorry..........

Good point, James. It's wonderful that the author can turn that kind of event into an aspiring art form.

Petra Post - is offline Retired Administrator
    ***** Certified SPI

Former Insignio Distinguished Member:
    Great article... and to think how young Kelly is. She can be proud of her accomplishments, and I bet there is no boredom coming up where she is working at.

I agree with Petra. Boredom is the least of her problems!

Fred

Good Story and advise

This is a great post. It will help me a lot since I plan making photography as kind of a specialty. I have always loved photography. While a Reserve Police Officer with one of our local departments I picked up some pointers on taking crime scene photos. Any suggestion on what would be a good choice for lenses. I am currently using a 35mm camera.

I thought is was a very informative article. I learned something new today.

Hats off to the people who have chosen to specialize in forensics, especially in photography. This is a burnt out field, but someone must perform this job. This
    is not my area. That's for sharing this story.

Cool Great article!

The article was extremely interesting. I just love this girl! She's got so much figured out so early, if only everyone could be so focused at her age. Forensics is an awesomely exact science, I personally like criminal profiling.

Brandy

Forensic Evidentiary Photography
    Thank you all for your opinion. Forensic is a very interesting arena of investigation. I watch TV and see how dead bodies look like. It is a great article which every investigator should take this course and get certified. I love to.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast