Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TV Reallity Shows Hiring Private Investigators

TV Reallity Shows Hiring Private Investigators

Here's one true story that shows this producer keeping a private investigator busy:

Quiet guy cranks out some outrageous reality:

Story Link:
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...atoday/5244969

LOS ANGELES -- Bruce Nash runs a factory that would make Detroit proud. But instead of shiny cars, glossy reality TV shows come rolling off his smoothly efficient assembly line.

The 2003 Nash models -- the new TV shows, not the old cars -- run wall to wall in the prime-time showroom tonight: Outrageous Celebrity Look-Alike Behavior: Caught on Tape (Fox, 8 ET/PT), For Love or Money (NBC, 9 ET/PT) and the season premiere of Meet My Folks (10 ET/PT).

By July, Nash will have six summer series on broadcast or cable, and his company has a prodigious 118 hours in production. A color-coordinated office board is a traffic jam of shooting schedules for 11 shows, including a secret Project X for Fox.

''It's amazing how much volume he can pop out of that machine,'' says Fox reality chief Mike Darnell, a frequent Nash client.

In a hot genre with a slightly outlaw feel, the soft-spoken, married father of two grown daughters seems more businessman than buccaneer. While other producers boast about pushing the envelope, he talks about toning down the salacious elements of Meet My Folks and says he would never produce a show like Are You Hot?

He's more animated showing off his baseball memorabilia -- his office could qualify as a Cooperstown annex -- than he is about shows. But he calls Folks ''my baby'' and dreams of an Emmy nomination.

Well known and respected in the reality fraternity, the Brooklyn-born Nash, 55, has produced plenty of ratings grabbers but doesn't have the breakout hit that confers household name status, as Mark Burnett did with Survivor. The former criminologist says it's OK if he doesn't achieve that in reality, which, despite its success, remains TV's ''******* child.'' The big hit could come on the next step in a well-considered progression: making scripted dramas and comedies and feature films.

Nash's driving force seems simple. He has a huge supply of ideas -- some original but many derivative, as with much of the genre -- and he says they belong on TV.

''When I have an idea, I want to sell it,'' says Nash, who keeps hundreds in a book and a top-five ''hot sheet'' in his pocket, fodder for quick e-mail to networks.

A visit last week to Nash Entertainment's Hollywood offices offered evidence of his success. In just a few hours Thursday, Nash screens an episode of For Love or Money, edits scenes from Folks, approves a set design for a new version of Dance Fever and discusses a logo for Who Wants to Marry My Dad? While doing that, he talks to NBC about background checks after the revelation that the For Love or Money bachelor drunkenly groped a female Navy colleague in 1999. NBC's Jeff Gaspin says the matter hasn't hurt Nash's standing.

Nash also sits in on the first meeting for a WB series, Who Wants to Be a Superhero? The central issue? Only deciding the whole structure of the contest, which will let contestants create their own superheroes.

If the title seems to be wagging the show, it's not new for Nash, whose skill at selling ideas has earned him his own superhero sobriquet, Pitch Man. He often sells shows on titles alone, from Around the World in 80 Dates to When Good Pets Go Bad. He told his staff to develop the latter show from only the title, but later found out they hadn't done anything: ''They said, 'We thought you were joking.' ''

Cranking out concepts was Nash's method during a writing career that prepared him for TV. Some books, such as The Baseball Hall of Shame, started as titles in Nash's head, before being fleshed out in print. He wrote 80 -- including 60 with Allan Zullo.

Nash landed his first TV special in 1991. He cranked out clip shows with titles such as World's Deadliest Volcanoes and World's Scariest Police Shootouts before delighting viewers and angering magicians with a special revealing the latter's secrets and incurring NASA (news - web sites)'s wrath with Conspiracy Theory: Did We Land on the Moon?

These days, he concentrates on the most popular reality fare: slick, well-produced romance and talent competitions.

On Thursday, Nash starts with a screening of For Love or Money, which he's producing with 3 Ball Productions. He generally delegates work to his staff of about 30, critiquing shows as they near completion.

Next, he reviews scenes from the randy dating competition Meet My Folks and its more romantic spinoff, Who Wants to Marry My Dad? (NBC, July 14). In one episode, a plane with a banner reveals embarrassing information about contestants' pasts. They show surprise, but it's not enough.

''It needs a little oomph, a little drama,'' Nash tells executive producer Scott Satin, whose wicked grin contrasts sharply with Nash's reserve. ''You have to play with it, push it. You need to manipulate.''

But manipulate doesn't mean fabricate, Nash says. Contestants won't be more horrified by the revelations, but slower tape speed and ominous music can make it seem as if they are.

Before heading off to the superhero discussion, Nash gets a call from NBC. After the revelation regarding For Love or Money's Rob Campos, the alert for contestant background checks seems to have been raised to level orange. ''We're saying (to contestants), 'If there's anything here, tell us right now,' '' he says to the caller.

Nash, who employs a private investigator, won't talk directly about Campos, other than to say he feels sorry for the 33-year-old lawyer. He says he is miffed at TheSmokingGun.com and others who dig into contestants' pasts and wonders whether those people could stand up to a background check.

But this cautionary lesson won't slow the hordes seeking stardom on reality TV. For Better or For Worse, a TLC show produced by Nash's daughter Robyn, offers couples a $5,000 wedding if they let others decide details of the nuptials.

''We've got 3,000 applications, and we only need 10 couples. This should be easy,'' production chief Andrew Jebb says.

Such interest doesn't surprise Nash. ''People want to be on TV. When you go to a ballgame, everybody wants to get their mug on the screen.''
    (A few letters to TV producers may get you a case!)

I wonder how long the reality show "fad" will last.

Interesting

Thanks for the story. This guy sounds rather...different.

I find the reality shows quite boring. The concept started out okay but they are beating the horse to death.

Carolynne

Good point Carolyne, on any given day, almost all major channels are showing a new reality show. Some are tasteless.
    Kathie

Badge # 6757

.02 cents

Hi everyone,

The article is certainly an interesting job opportunity, at least while the "reality shows" last. I will admit that I watched the very first Survivor a few times but didn't like the "dog eat dog" attitude that seemed to be encouraged amounst the constestants, so I stay away from "reality t.v.". Though you don't have to watch the shows to do the background checks

Re: .02 cents

Originally posted by Leisl D Olson

Though you don't have to watch the shows to do the background checks
    True, fortunately we don't have to watch or even care for these shows, it's nice to have choices. I definitely cheer for the added job opportunities in this field, a lot of people are located by the networks for these shows and they all need background checks, a definite plus for the PI field.
    Kathie

Badge # 6757

Even though I have never watched any of these un-"reality" shows I like the idea that they are helping employ P.I.s

Reality? TV

My wife watches almost all the reality TV shows, while I sit here surfing the IPIU forums in the evening. As I see/hear this "reality" on TV, I feel that my mundane life is unreal. Isn't it amazing how unreal reality TV really is?

Cool Reallity shows

I some reallity shows are cool some are boring but at least a PI got to use his or her skills and done a good job at it to. The client got what they were looking for in the background check.
    Tony E. Whitaker

I don't know how long some of these shows will last or even the concept. I do know they bore me and people will do anything for a few bucks. It's their one time to be a star, I guess. Well one minute after it's aired 99 percent of them are not even a spec on a radar screen. It's just amazing what people will do or who they will sell out in the process.

Thanks for the story though it was interesting. As mentioned, at least it employs another PI. That's always good news.

Rod Elliott

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Reality shows - No

Background checks - Yes

I am glad that my TV has never seen a reality show.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

"Reality Shows".................. what's that?!

I like the fact PI's are being employeed by the shows.
    Well that is the only thing about Reality Shows I do appreciate.

DJ
    DJ
    Badge #5625

Life is the souls nursery- its training place for the destinies of eternity.

William M. Thackeray

I like some reality shows such as the game show types. Like "Meet My Folks", "American Idol", and "Fear Factor". All that other stuff is just dumb in my opinion.
    Jeff Colón
    Badge #5711

Jeff,

I agree with you on the American Idol show!

I saw that they are planning on 8 (I think) new reality shows for the fall, so bad viewing for those of us who don't care for reality shows, but thumbs up for the PI business!

16. Cool.

Depends on the show if I will watch it or not! I do think some of them are pretty dumb. Though I will admit that I did watch that For Love or Money, and American Idol and even American Juniors! I think some of them are neat!

Even better that they are employing PI's to help in background checks! That is pretty cool!

Thanks for the article that was really interesting!
    Karleen

I think it would be fun to work as a P.I. on those reality shows. Eventhough some of them are dumb, I think it would be a good experience as a P.I. And it doesn't mean we HAVE to watch them!
    Jeff Colón
    Badge #5711

With the volume of reality shows lined up this fall and new ones coming out continuously... these PI's must have job security for a while, and some valuable background check experience
    Kathie

Badge # 6757

The more people are exposed to PIs and their function through reality TV, the more receptive they and people associated with them will become towards Private Investigators and their function.

All I can say is more opportunities the better!!!!

Reality Shows?? BORING... However, I have never seen, but heard of some realilty show that has a P.I. following a cheating spouse, then on camera (of course) surprise the spouse who is with the "other woman or man", all the while the spouse that hired the P.I. is there, watching the entire thing, and of course a confrontation ensues, all in its Jerry Springer fashion.

My opinion is this: That show cheapens the private investigator image, so we appear to be sleazy low-lifes. I can't remember the name of that show, but I did talk to three private investigators about that at lunch one day, and they agreed that that show really hurts us true professionals!

Melinda Cole

Melinda,

Amen.

Those shows do the things that PIs should not do, e.g., bring the client spouse to the trysting spot with the cheating spouse and the other adulterer. They cheapen the profession.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

It's all about ratings, somebody must be watching these shows. So many new shows have been created this year, it's amazing.
    Kathie

Badge # 6757

William Brassfield is offline Moderator::
    (On Leave of Absence)

Sr. Distinguished Member:
    Member since 2002
    Moderator note:

Some off topic comments were moved here:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...&pagenumber=27
    Will Brassfield

Where there's a will, there's a way......and I'm Will

Visit our New Home Page: www.ipiu.org

Visit our New Bookstore: www.privateinvestigators.cc

It's been done before. I hope that our society can move on before reality T.V. becomes another societal virus like Jerry Springer.
    Jayson M. Thompson

Jayson,

Welcome to IPIU and the IPIU forums. I have not run into your posts before. We are glad to have you with us.

I had not considered the reality TV to be anything like Jerry Springer - but what a piece of trash that is.

B Ann Craig - is offline Administrative Forum Trainer

Sr. Certified Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum
    I haven't seen this TV shows, but if it is any thing like Jerry Springer , I don't want any part of it. I will have to watch this one some time, to see.

Have a wonderful weekend. Take care.
    Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves;
    We are his people, and the sheep of his pasture...be thankful unto him, and bless his name. Ps 100

Ann,

One of the reasons that my daughter and I had to leave our last house was the my estranged wife watched Jerry Springer and all those filthy shows.

B Ann Craig - is offline Administrative Forum Trainer

Sr. Certified Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum
    Michael, sorry to hear that, I guess she had a problem. Sounds like you made a good move.

Have a wonderful weekend. Take care.
    Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves;
    We are his people, and the sheep of his pasture...be thankful unto him, and bless his name. Ps 100

Unhappy Jerry Springer?!?!

In speaking of the ever so disgusting Jerry Springer, I have to say that I at one time (years ago) I had respect for Maury Povich. It was back when he and his wife Connie Chung were both doing 20/20 type shows. I had caught a recent show of his and he has BECOME Jerry Springer.....what a shame and disappointment.

There is no respect left for him either.

Sheila Rucker

Ann,

We did make a good move.

Sheila,

He is still only a Jerry Springer wanna-be

Cool Michael,

You're right about that Michael!! And not a very good one. I lost all respect.

Have a great week.
    Sheila

Sheila,

If you go from being a good guy to being a bad guy, you have to do it up big. Maury just went slimey.

Question Reality???

Michael, insightful and intelligent as always

I must admit, I have been a Survivor fan from the beginning. The others I haven't given a passing glance. I watched one episode of American Idol, hated Simon, moved on. As a musician, I don't mind constructive criticism. Most musicians are not afraid to point out other musicians shortcomings, real or perceived. I would hate to have to be subjected to the sort of pounding Simon puts on some of these folks. True they may not be talented, but they've somehow gotten up the guts to try...that means a lot to most musicians. As far as shows like Springer, most of the people on there seem phony and rehearsed. When he first came on not so much, but now....pluuleeze... Oprah started heading that way early on but she saw what putting a bunch of bozos on the stage and letting them curse and lie and basically show their ignorance looked like and she changed. Mostly for the better. This little fad will continue till someone gets physically or emotionally damanged to the point of a hefty lawsuit and then we'll see them drift off to oblivion. The sooner the better.
    Dave Fowler
    Badge #6847

Thumbs up It's about investigation!

David,

While I respect your opinion I must say that this things about reality television means only one thing to me, A JOB. I have my beliefs about this stuff. I just know right now it can be a sorce of income for me. Yes there are a lot of jobs where I can make a living but one is this. My foucus is on becoming a better investigator and getting the experience where I can. I have pride in the beleif of what I want to become and with that in mind I want to become the best.

You have some great points and I think that your insight can be channeled in the area of what interest you the most. Perhaps you can find an angle within this industry no matter how short lived it is to get some investigative experience. Hey lets not push that possibility away.

Let's get it on, our resumes!
    Clinton

Thumbs up Reality???

Hey Clifton you are so right!

I never meant that if asked I wouldn't do PI work for one these show. I feel that eventually these shows could lead to something like Richard Bachman's (aka Steven King) Running Man where someone would risk their life for a prize. Then what Gladiators? I meant that this "Reality" thing is another fad and probably won't be a big money market for folks like us.
    Dave Fowler
    Badge #6847

Thumbs up Now That's REAL!

David,

That's what I'm talking about. For me it's about getting the experience. I go where the work goes. However long it last. The idea is to get better. I can't get any better if I don't allow myself to experience different kinds of work.

Bring it on and keep it coming is my motto. You want me to investigate, I want to investigate. You have the work I take the work. At this point that is where I stand. Now once I get a better experience record I can be a little picky. I will then specialize in something.

I'm not going to tell those who want me to work for them not to offer me at job. I will get the job done whenever I get the job.

Let The Jobs Come,
    Clinton

Reality???

I agree

First of all I am so sorry that I put Clifton instead of Clinton. My bad. Secondly, you are so right. A job is a job. I would take any assignment thrown my way as long as it didn't effect my integrity as a human being. I got into this field because of the challenges it presents and the different people and places it will lead me to. If one of the reality shows called and said check this person out, I'd be right on it. I just hope the fad is just a fad. I would really hate to see someone hurt trying to win a prize. I know it sounds namby pamby to say it but I would hate to think that the only way I could get ahead in the world would be to subject myself to the pain, embarrassment and just plain ugliness that some of these poor folks do.
    Dave Fowler
    Badge #6847

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast