Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Cosmetics Heir Captured by Bounty Hunter

Originally posted by Michael Harris

Doreen,

I have only spent a few hours in jail - in DC - for parking tickets. I think I wrote about that in the forums.
    Jail "time" for parking tickets ? This means you "served" once for all your "sins"?

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Dragos,

I had more than three parking tickets. The experience was interesting. I wrote about it in here somewhere.

Michael,

I agree. Each experience is interesting. That specific one should be twice more exciting than other ones.

Originally posted by Michael Harris
    ...I had more than three parking tickets. The experience was interesting. I wrote about it in here somewhere.
    Michael,

When I was going to school in Chicago a fellow student said she gets about 300 parking tickets a year (this was before they began booting). She would go to court once a year and have her ticket fees cut in half. She saved hundreds of dollars in parking doing this. She had it good. She could park anywhere and then only pay the fees once a year at 50% the rate.

Last edited by Ken Rohrer; 01-08-2004 at 05:53 PM.

Ken,

I saved money on parking, too. I like her approach. This works only if they do not boot.

Hi Ann Boy do I remember the show I use to watch it all the time it was good wish they would bring some of the good old shows back.

Michael-
    You rebel with a cause you.
    Jail time for an ordained minister.

Ken- I would think that the ticket fines would be more expensive than the actual parking costs, not true huh?
    What is 'booting'?
    Doreen

Doreen,

I was not ordained at the time. Besides it was cheaper to pay tickets than it was to find parking that you could afford.

One job I was offered came with the right salary, but the parking was too high, so the company upped the offer by $1500 to help cover the cost of cheap parking. Then the company had some extra spaces in the building that I got for free. They were normally $185 a month in the Wearly 1980s.

Originally posted by Doreen Payton
    Ken- I would think that the ticket fines would be more expensive than the actual parking costs, not true huh?
    What is 'booting'?
    Doreen-

Booting is where they fasten a metal clamp on the front wheel of the car. The car is unmoveable until the clamp is removed. At the time the classmate told me about her parking tickets, on average, parking was around $8 a day. (now its about $12 - 15) Tickets at that time were about $4.50 and she got them cut in half every year.

Doreen,

If you have never seen a Denver boot, they are awesome. They make the car undriveable without major damage.
    The standard denver boot is designed to fit vehicles that have a flat rim face. The difference between the standard boot and the 4x4 boot is the amount of height inside the hub. The standard boot will fit the majority of the vehicles on the road.

The 4x4 denver boot is designed to fit vehicles with a 4x4 hub. Both the 4x4 denver boot and the standard denver boot use the same clamp and arm. The only difference between the two is the hub cover.

The important things to know are that it is light weight at 14 pounds (half the weight of most other boots), it does not rust or require paint and it is easy to install.

The boot is a three piece assembly: wheelclamp, hub (lug nut) cover, and arm. The arm has two pockets which allow for an adjustment for wheel size (larger or smaller). The three piece assembly allows for a compact device and is very easy to transport in multiples. The Denver Boot is made primarily for street worthy vehicles. It will fit most cars, pickup trucks and vans. A special hub cover can be used with 4 wheel drive vehicles with extended hubs. When paint is requested, the hub cover and arm are painted for "higher visibility" purpose. As the boot does not rust, the paint is not required for protection. This is a cosmetic and often desired requirement.
    Standard Boot

Talking Caught like a rat

Hello Sara,

I am glad that the bounty hunter got his man. I pray that he is released, because he has caught a rat that needs to stand trail for his crimes.

Alfonso,

The bad guy, Andrew Luster, is serving 125 years. The good guy, Duane Chapman, is free and basking in all the free publicity.

The judge, like the prosecutors in New Jersey, do not like it when bounty hunters do the work they think the police should do.

I am following up on a story from September 2003 by Wendy Ruderman of The Inquirer in Phildelphia about the trouble in NJ with bounty hunters not being permitted to carry guns. I will keep you posted on this one - Wendy and I are in communication.

Michael and Ken

Thank you for the explanation of what a boot is. I saw a joke one on tv before. The guy had a phoney one on his car so he could park in a red zone because with the phoney boot on it looked like the police had already taken care of it.
    I wonder if they sell the 'pretend' ones somewhere and if they fool the meter maids?
    Last edited by Doreen Payton -; 01-05-2004 at 11:30 PM.
    Doreen

Doreen,

I could not import the image of a boot, but I did provide the link. Did you look at the boot?

Yes Michael, I did. Thank you. That was just like the one I saw on a movie on tv. If I remember right the phoney boot was on the movie 'Coyote Ugly' and it was a bright yellow.

I don't think they use those in California but I could be wrong.
    Doreen

Doreen,

In most cities they paint them bright yellow or orange and post a huge sticker across the windshield so you cannot see out.

Michael
    Nothing like a little public embarrassment to go along with it.

I wonder if people like Andrew Luster (notice the segue into the existing topic?) ever get embarrassed about their crimes and the public attention that go along with it?
    I know that Duane Chapman must be benifitting, more people know who he is and what he does and what he is willing to do to get the job done. But these spoiled millionaire punks, do they have a conscience?
    Doreen

Doreen,

You asked a good question and I like the segue. Public embarrassment does not seem to affect the spoiled rich. I just finished a novel by Elizabeth Peters (one of her Amelia Peabody stories) set in the 1890s. The main character mentions the scandals, etc. of the young men of titled familes - no one cared what they did, but any other person;s life would be ruined.

We have not progressed since Victorian times.

Public embarrassment would be good for drunk drivers and people who file frivolous lawsuits.

Michael

I don't know what I was thinking.
    Many people, higher economic stature or not, don't have any understanding of being embarrassed.
    Look at the 'reality' shows and those truly disgusting shock talk shows that are on tv. The Jerry Springer, Maury Povich and Ricki Lake type shows. I am sure I missed a few names.
    I always liked the saying (butchered here) "If you have skeletons in your closet you might as well make them dance" was great but some people take this to too great an extreme.
    Some people have no shame but really should.
    Doreen

Doreen,

I actually have more experience with the bottom end of the socio-economic spectrum than the top.

The only millionaires I know (other than the kids I went ot college with) made their own fortunes and they are still "rea people". the kids in college came from wealth, but not disgusting wealth (only a few of the kids had more than a few million of their own).

I live in a poor town with inbred locals. Many of them do not have any shame, even the ones who know the word.

Michael

I don't have any experience with really wealthy people either. So I can't really compare the behavior of rich people to not so rich people. And of course it really isn't that black and white. As you said there are some wealthy people that are 'real' as opposed to those people who think they are someone special because they have money. There are economically challenged people that are willing to share whatever they have with you and then there are those that are fodder for the Springer, Povich and Lake shows.

We human beings are and interesting bunch.
    Doreen

How true Doreen. there are some nice rich people out there.. but I think they stay home and hide.(he he) I work with all kinds and I can say is some oooops all the rich people I have met think they are so much better than you and they hate to pay there bills. the not so rich people when I finish with the job they had me do right there and then they pay me. But anyone who has money I darn have to screem at them.. But to me people are people there is good in all at lest God for bid I hope

Doreen,

I realize that a few of the people who appear on the shows you mentioned who are actors or simply fakes. In any case, they have no shame.

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:
    Originally posted by Dragos Sfinteanu
    By the way, Duane Chapman, the "owner" of the topic, is still in prison? Is there an update of the story?
    To all:
    Let's all keep comments in this topic on-topic. Some of you have had your comments deleted in other topics where the discussion drifted to another subject for 2 pages.

If anyone wishes to discuss the Denver Boot or anything not related to this topic, we welcome you to author a new topic and tiltle it.

Please . . . .

Point taken David.
    Doreen

David Copeland is offline Administrator

Sponsored by:
    Originally posted by Doreen Payton
    Point taken David.
    I hate being a cop.

That's why I became a private investigator. At least I can pick and choose who to be a hero to, and who (when necessary) I can "play cop".

David,

We are glad you made the move. We hope you are happy or, at least, content.

B Ann Craig - is offline Administrative Forum Trainer

Sr. Certified Distinguished Member:
    Originally posted by Joyce C Dixon
    Hi Ann Boy do I remember the show I use to watch it all the time it was good wish they would bring some of the good old shows back.
    Joyce, I just watched the movie again Friday night! When they make the movie about Duane Chapman, it should be just as exciting. I just wish Steve was still alive to play the part. I look forward to his movie when it comes out. Maybe we will get the information on the forum when they have it in the works.

Have a wonderful week. Take care.
    Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves;
    We are his people, and the sheep of his pasture...be thankful unto him, and bless his name. Ps 100

Visit our New Home Page: www.ipiu.org

Hi Ann. Sure hope so too.

have a great day

Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves;
    We are his people, and the sheep of his pasture...be thankful unto him, and bless his name. Ps 100

Visit our New Home Page: www.ipiu.org

Smile Cosmetics Heir Captured by Bounty Hunter.....

Good story...with the facts. Mexico does have its problems, many of which end up in US and flee back to south of the border. The man had to go through Customs, i would assume....why did he pass? Its sad that "Dog" and his colleages got arrested, perhaps the State Dept. will see to it that they are released. With Mexico being a border Country, you'd think that our Customs Agents would have been on the look out for the fugitive....I hope all turns out well for "Dog" and his band of abled body men...........

I think this is very unfortunate that Chapman got arrested for getting Luster. I believe this is why he didn't inform the Mexican authorities because of their outrageous laws.
    May God be with him as he take his rightful place doing his ministry, capturing
    crooks! Also, I used to love "Have Gun Will Travel," Paladin played by Richard Boone.
    I agree, he will have to wear disguises since the nation viewed him on "Good Morning
    America."

Patrice, I loved to watch Have Gun Will Travel. Chapman makes me think of Paladin in a way. They are both the men in black.

Have a wonderful weekend. Take care.

It is a sad story. If you break the Law and take it in your hands then justice has to be served. I wish him all the best of luck.

Prem,
    Sad but true. Think about this .....We wouldn't be having this discussion if he hadn't been arrested, even though he did break the law. So who is wrong?

Ann,

Do you remember what Paladin's background was? He was a former US Army officer. He did not have a clue what to do when he got started. His first opponent could have killed him, but helped him get started. Paladin's holster was US Army issue - soft leather with a secured flap. No way to do a quuick draw with that. His opponent explained this to him and told him hold to cut the leather down and how to make it stiff. Now that is the kind of opponet you need to get started.

pal·a·din (p²l“…-d¹n) n. 1. A paragon of chivalry; a heroic champion. 2. A strong supporter or defender of a cause:

I do like the link between Paladin and Dog. Both from the wrong background to do the work they were doing. Both had high moral and ethical standards.

Thanks for the memories.

Michael, you are welcome. Yes, I knew this information well. I can remember watching the first show. I was hooked from that point on.

I was watching the Regis & Kelly show yesterday morning. Duane "Dog" Chapman, and his wife were on that show. They both are bounty hunters. He has a new reality show that is going to air today, I think. I tried to find this show in the line up, but could not find it. They showed a clip form the new show, but I forgot the name of the show. I hope I don't miss it.

Ann,

The show about Dog is already on. There is a thread on it - http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...+bounty+hunter.

I like the show and I like Dog.

Michael, I found the information on my TV Guide web site. I missed the ones you are talking about. There are some other showing of his shows in my area on A&E:

Sat, 9-11 2:30 PM Dog the Bounty Hunter: Father and Son 41 A&E

Tues, 9-14 9:00 PM Dog the Bounty Hunter: Bounty Hunters Have Hearts Too 41 A&E

Tues, 9-14 9:30 PM Dog the Bounty Hunter: Meet the Chapmans 41 A&E

Wed, 9-15 1:00 AM Dog the Bounty Hunter: Bounty Hunters Have Hearts Too 41 A&E

Wed, 9-15 1:30 AM Dog the Bounty Hunter: Meet the Chapmans 41 A&E

A&E shows their shows over again. I bet Chapman is making good money for his shows.

Ann,

The nicest thing is that Dog seems like a nice human being.

His buisness is both bail bonding and bounty hunting so he is protecting his own money. The business is a family business - Dog, his wife, a son, a brother, and a nephew. They are all a little coarse, but they are real and likeable. He treats his fugitives with more respect than they deserve. He also does not use firearms.

Enjoy the show.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast