Thread: PI LICENSING: Mississippi - NO STATE LICENSE REQUIRED!

Lisa S. Flowers Guest

Question PI LICENSING: Mississippi - NO STATE LICENSE REQUIRED!

NO STATE PI LICENSE REQUIRED!

I already know I can obtain the following:

1) The Secretary of State can issue me a business license under the name of my PI Agency name. But a state business license is not the same as a state PI License, but it looks better than having nothing.

2) Most cities, such as Gulfport, have local tax licenses and local business licenses too.

3) Jackson, Mississippi issues a PRIVILEGE LICENSE for investigative agencies (annual renewal is $44).

Question Licensing In MS

I live in Mississippi also. I have not yet filled out the application, but have it on the way. This sounds like something I would be very interested in doing.
    ~BACK IN THE SADDLE~
    LET FREEDOM RIDE~

Edward Taguba is offline Certified Distinguished Member
    Private Investigators Forums

Professional Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Talking

Aloha Lisa and Ms. Leigh,

Make sure you browse around the forum. Your question has been answered regarding your state law on License.

Below I will list the states that don't need license for PI, but in the future please make sure you read and search around the forum.

NO STATE LICENSING REQUIRMENTS:

1) COLORADO

2) MISSISSIPPI

3) SOUTH DAKOTA

The following states have NO STATE LICENSING, but some cities have their own licensing with minimal requirements:

4) IDAHO

5) ALASKA

6) MISSOURI

7) WYOMING

---------------

Also, there are several other states that may have licensing requirements, but they so not have any "experience requirement" (which means all you do is pay your fees).

Edward Taguba, MBA, Ph.D.

Professional Global Technology Consultant
    http://www.edtaguba.com
    www.ipiu.org | www.privateinvestigators.cc

Question

Hello,

I have a question that may already be answered somewhere else on the forum. I live in Mississippi, but i also live near the Tennessee state line and, so I have a question. Would I have to get a Tennessee Investigators license to operate in Tennessee, even though Mississippi does not have license requirements??? Also, will I be able to operate in Tennessee, or will i have to stay in my state to take an assignment?

Thanks,

Wesley Gillmore

Rickey Latch is offline Licensed Private Investigator
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Rickey Latch

There are no liscense requirements. However you do need to apply for a permit to carry a weapon through the Department of Public Safety and also take a course at your local College or even online to make sure you do not violate others rights. There are alot of rules and regulations set forth by Federal as well as State Agencies that you need to be aware of. I have worked with a couple of so called Investigators that had no clue as to the proper protocols set forth by the different Agencies.
    Good Luck

Thumbs up replying

I have call all the state and local offices thou out Mississippi just to find out that there are no private investigator laws here.

But what I did find out was that you need is a privilege license from the town or county that you live in.

If you are going to be doing work in different town or cities you will have to apply for privilege lic there to.

Richard White

Re: PI LICENSING: Mississippi

How would you go about getting a privilege license?

Thanks,
    Tiffany H

Jason McLaughlin is offline Licensed Private Investigator

Member of the Private Investigators Forum

I'm licenced in LA and have worked in MS. I've never heard of this.

Micah Dutro is offline Licensed Attorney

Member of the Private Investigators Forums
    Sponsored by the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

I am an attorney in private practice in Jackson, MS. I do some PI work for other attorneys as well. I do not know of any such requirement as a "privilege license." That said, however, it never hurts to thumb through the city ordinances in any town you might have a case in....

Re: PI LICENSING: Mississippi - NO STATE LICENSE REQUIRED!

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Gillmore View Post
    Hello,

I have a question that may already be answered somewhere else on the forum. I live in Mississippi, but i also live near the Tennessee state line and, so I have a question. Would I have to get a Tennessee Investigators license to operate in Tennessee, even though Mississippi does not have license requirements??? Also, will I be able to operate in Tennessee, or will i have to stay in my state to take an assignment?

Thanks,

Wesley Gillmore
    Wesley, these questions were not answered here because you need to ask them in the official TENNESSEE LICENSING TOPIC, which is located in this same forum. Please post your questions there.

Thank you for your support.
    Legal Affairs comments are not intended to be and should absolutely not be taken as legal advice. If you should require legal, tax, or financial advice, you must first enter into a written agreement with only a licensed professional for legal, tax, or financial services, signed by both you and the licensed professional, and paid a retainer in good funds. Legal Affairs is not, nor intends to be, nor solicits to be your licensed professional. Members accessing comments by Legal Affairs are required to be bound by their Terms of Use Agreement regarding Legal Affairs.

Re: PI LICENSING: Mississippi - NO STATE LICENSE REQUIRED!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany Hare View Post
    How would you go about getting a privilege license?

Thanks,
    Tiffany H
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason McLaughlin View Post
    I'm licenced in LA and have worked in MS. I've never heard of this.
    Answer:

A Google search for the Mississippi Privilege Licenses available are here: Click Here

In the above search link, choose the Privilege License for Gulfport, Mississippi and you will see their application covers "service businesses", including attorneys who have a law practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Micah Dutro View Post
    I am an attorney in private practice in Jackson, MS. I do some PI work for other attorneys as well. I do not know of any such requirement as a "privilege license." That said, however, it never hurts to thumb through the city ordinances in any town you might have a case in....
    Another Google Search for Jackson, Mississippi Privilege Licenses is here: Click Here

You may also refer to my previous post regarding a sample privilege license for attorneys.

Very truly yours,

Ann Marie Ryan
    Legal Affairs comments are not intended to be and should absolutely not be taken as legal advice. If you should require legal, tax, or financial advice, you must first enter into a written agreement with only a licensed professional for legal, tax, or financial services, signed by both you and the licensed professional, and paid a retainer in good funds. Legal Affairs is not, nor intends to be, nor solicits to be your licensed professional. Members accessing comments by Legal Affairs are required to be bound by their Terms of Use Agreement regarding Legal Affairs.