Thread: PI LICENSING: Utah

PI LICENSING: Utah

NO LICENSE NEEDED, IF WORKING FOR THE FOLLOWING::

Exemptions:
    1. Any employee conducting an investigation on behalf of their employer if the employer is not a private investigator under this chapter;

2. Any person conducting an investigation on the person's own behalf;

3. An employee of an attorney licensed to practice law in this state;

4. A person who is employed by a collection agency;

5. A person who is employed by a credit reporting agency;

TO OBTAIN A LICENSE TO SOLICIT FOR YOUR OWN CLIENTS:

53-9-108. Qualifications for licensure.
    (1) (a) An applicant for an agency license under this chapter shall be at least 21 years of age, a citizen or legal resident of the United States, and of good moral character.

(b) An applicant may not have been:
    (i) convicted of a felony;
    (ii) convicted of any act involving illegally using, carrying, or possessing a dangerous weapon;
    (iii) convicted of any act of personal violence or force on any person or convicted of threatening to commit any act of personal violence or force against another person;
    (iv) convicted of any act constituting dishonesty or fraud;
    (v) convicted of any act involving moral turpitude;
    (vi) placed on probation or parole;
    (vii) named in an outstanding arrest warrant; or
    (viii) convicted of illegally obtaining or disclosing private, controlled, or protected records as provided in Section 63-2-801.

(c) In assessing good moral character under Subsection (1)(b), the board shall consider any mitigating circumstances presented by an applicant regarding information under Subsections (1)(b)(vi) and (viii).

(d) If previously or currently licensed in another state or jurisdiction, the applicant shall be in good standing within that state or jurisdiction.

(e) An applicant shall have completed a minimum of two years, or 2,000 hours, of investigative experience that consists of actual work performed as a private investigator for a private agency, the federal government, or a state, county, or municipal government.

(f) (i) An applicant for an agency license shall substantiate investigative work experience claimed as years of qualifying experience and provide the exact details as to the character and nature of the experience on a form prescribed by the department and certified by the applicant's employers.
    (ii) If the applicant is unable to supply written certification from an employer in whole or in part, the applicant may offer written certification from persons other than an employer covering the same subject matter for consideration by the board.
    (iii) The applicant shall prove completion of the required experience to the satisfaction of the board and the board may independently verify any certification offered on behalf of the applicant.

(2) (a) An applicant for a registrant license shall meet all qualification standards of this section, except Subsection (1)(d). An applicant shall have a minimum of one year, or 1,000 hours, of investigative experience that consists of actual work performed as a private investigator for a private agency, the federal government, a state, county, or municipal government.

(b) A licensed registrant shall only work as an employee of, or an independent contractor with, licensed agencies as provided in Subsection 53-9-102(19), and may not:
    (i) advertise his services or conduct investigations for the general public; or
    (ii) employ other private investigators or hire them as independent contractors.

(3) (a) An applicant for an apprentice license, lacking the experience required for a registrant license, shall meet all of the qualification standards in Subsection (1), except Subsection (1)(d) and complete an apprentice application.

(b) An apprentice shall work under the direct supervision and guidance of a licensed
    agency, full-time for one year, or 1,000 hours, prior to eligibility for a registrant license. A licensed apprentice shall only work under the direction of a licensed agency as provided in Subsection 53-9-102(5), and may not:
    (ii) employ other private investigators.

(4) (a) An applicant for an agency, registrant, or apprentice license may be eligible for a license without meeting all or part of the investigative work experience required by this section if the applicant:
    (i) has a criminal justice degree from an accredited college or university;
    (ii) is certified by Peace Officer Standards and Training; or
    (iii) can substantiate other similar law enforcement or investigative training in the areas set forth in Subsection 53-9-102(17).

(b) The board shall determine whether or not training may replace the work experience requirement and to what extent.

For an online application, go to:
    http://bci.utah.gov/BailPI/PIHome.html

http://www.dopl.utah.gov/

Statute Source:

Utah PI Law
    Legal Affairs comments are not intended to be and should absolutely not be taken as legal advice. If you should require legal, tax, or financial advice, you must first enter into a written agreement with only a licensed professional for legal, tax, or financial services, signed by both you and the licensed professional, and paid a retainer in good funds. Legal Affairs is not, nor intends to be, nor solicits to be your licensed professional. Members accessing comments by Legal Affairs are required to be bound by their Terms of Use Agreement regarding Legal Affairs.

Thanks

I appreciate you making that information available and so easy to access.

I have a question about the Utah PI licensing laws:
    In the list it mentioned (placed on probation or parole )
    Say you were charged with position of stolen property
    11 years ago because you were house sitting for your parents and you were
    the only one over 21 in the house,
    but you had no idea it was going on and they insisted prosecuting you and stuck you on probation, and the only reason they were able to do any thing was you couldn't afford a lawyer will that stop you from getting licensed.

TO OBTAIN A LICENSE TO SOLICIT FOR YOUR OWN CLIENTS:

53-9-108. Qualifications for licensure.
    (1) (a) An applicant for an agency license under this chapter...

(2) (b) A licensed registrant ... may not:
    (ii) employ other private investigators or hire them as independent contractors.

(3) (b) An apprentice ... may not:
    (ii) employ other private investigators.

Note the fine print: there are three types of licenses:
    1. Agency License
    2. Registrant License
    3. Apprentice License

In order to be able to solicit for your own clients, you must have an AGENCY License.

Wes Crandell is offline *
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Re: Utah

I checked the attorney general for the state and got my answer. They recently changed their requirements to 10,000 hours for an agency license and i think it's 3,000 for a regular license but they still have a beginner license, i forget what they called it. They had just passed the law and they weren't sure about a test or just the hour requirement. I checked in September of 2011. hope that helps anyone else that's curious

Re: Utah

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Crandell View Post
    I checked the attorney general for the state and got my answer. They recently changed their requirements to 10,000 hours for an agency license and i think it's 3,000 for a regular license but they still have a beginner license, i forget what they called it. They had just passed the law and they weren't sure about a test or just the hour requirement. I checked in September of 2011. hope that helps anyone else that's curious
    This is another example why IPIU members elect to upgrade their membership to the Lifetime Corporation Plan - in order to obtain a licensed private investigator to sponsor their agency license without having to wait 5 years.

Cynthia Ford
    Administrator - IPIU
    ----------