Thread: WASHINGTON: Bounty Hunter

Jaleel Abdul-Jabbaar Guest

Question License Requirements

What is the licensing requirement for Washington State as a bail enforcement agent and how can I get into the business.
    Last edited by Deborah W; 04-21-2003 at 12:22 PM.

2. Jaleel,

Here is the information you are looking for.

WA
    Surety may return defendant to custody. (RCW 10.19.160)

Licensing of bail bond agents. (18.185) UCEA
    H 2525. Requires bail recovery agents to be certified by bail bond agency.

Jaleel Abdul-Jabbaar Guest

Question

So does this mean the bail bondman must certify his recovery agents. I just got a job working for Bad boy Bail bondman in Washington State as a bail enforcement officer. Was their some paperwork that I've should've signed before beginning work to be certified

4. Jaleel,

Ask your supervisor or manager what the certification requirements are. If he doesn't know, then post here and I will ask the Sr. Moderators for some direction.

In the meantime, I invite you to go to the Introduction Lounge to say hello and tell us about yourself. From then on, please post all questions in your introduction topic. This will allow us to give you a quicker response to your questions.

Thanks!

New Requirements

Yesterday, 3 Feb 2005, I sent an inquiry to the Washington State Department of Licensing concerning the fee for a Bail Recovery Agent license. This is governed by Washington Administrative Code, WAC 308-19. Here is a link to the WAC that explains in detail the fees and the new requirements for a Bail Enforcement Agent in the State of Washington.

Hope this helps anyone who may have questions

http://www.dol.wa.gov/ppu/finalcroversion308-19wac.rtf

I am interested in this also, and did some research on the Washington licensing website. It looks like they are also modifying the law and it is going into effect on Jan 1, 2006. Currently it looks like you just have to have no criminal record for the past 10 years and pay a fee for a license. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus Kennedy
    on Jan 1, 2006. Currently it looks like you just have to have no criminal record for the past 10 years and pay a fee for a license. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    I will have to research the date myself. You may be correct? However, to be a Bail Recovery Agent (Bounty Hunter) in the state of Washington, you have to be sponsored (employed) by a bail bondsmen. The bail bondsmen is the person that holds the agency license and bails bad guys out of jail. Your sponsors name has to appear on your Bail Enforcement Agent license.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/ppu/finalcroversion308-19wac.rtf

Please refer to the link from the state of Washington Department of Licensing.

Larry

Cool What do you have to do.

I am wanting to become a Bounty Hunter. I have gone through the training and have my Certification. I am wondering what I need to do now to be able to get into the buzz. If there is anyway someone can help me I would really apretiate it very mutch. It is my first time but I wont let anyone down.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Eichenberger
    I am wanting to become a Bounty Hunter. I have gone through the training and have my Certification. I am wondering what I need to do now to be able to get into the buzz. If there is anyway someone can help me I would really apretiate it very mutch. It is my first time but I wont let anyone down.
    Michael, nice going on becoming certified. I have do some research here in the state of Washington. You first have to find a bail bindmen to sponsor you in order to become legally licensed. I will be happy to share the information I have with you.

Larry

Thank you Larry. I would really apprtiate that if you could help me. If you need anything you let me know. I have called a couple Bail bondsman but they are like " we aready have one" See I have the traning and all the gear but I don't have the Experance I just need someone to take me under there wing or something.

thank you
    mike

do you know if they are still looking for a bail enforcment agent
    let me know...

I am looking for work in Bail Enforcement in Washington as well.
    I stopped by a couple of places and was told they has in house agents already,
    but that until 1/1/06, there is no license needed to work as a bail enforcement agent in the state of Washington.

Sherri Coffman - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Union Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

I am copying that information into my post, so I'll have it.

Jaleel,

Here is the information you are looking for.

WA
    Surety may return defendant to custody. (RCW 10.19.160)

Licensing of bail bond agents. (18.185) UCEA
    H 2525. Requires bail recovery agents to be certified by bail bond agency.

Thanks Sherri Coffman

Liz Mason - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member
    Sponsored by:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Blog Entries

Re: License Requirements

From Internet Resources:
    Bounty Hunters are known as “bail bond recovery agents” in Washington and the state has licensing and behavioral laws targeted directly at Fugitive Recovery Agents. With strict regulations comes the imperative to know state law and be aware of safe and effective skip tracing and apprehension techniques. The bottom line is that if you wish to become a Bounty Hunter in Washington, training and education are very important.

How to Become a Bounty Hunter in Washington

Becoming a Bounty Hunter in Washington requires training before one can apply for a license. This training must cover four topics:

1. Civil or criminal law: state and constitutional law, procedures for surrendering defendants, civil liability, civil rights for individual in custody, contracts, powers of a bail bond recovery agent, and more.
    2. Procedures for field operations: use of force, custody and transportation of fugitives, entry and search of buildings, defensive tactics, application of handcuffs and more, such as firearms training.
    3. Tools: training must be completed in use of a taser, baton, and pepper spray.
    4. Firearms: training must be completed through a Criminal Justice Training Commission (CJTC) firearms training instructor and be certified through CJTC.

After training is complete along with licensing (outlined in more detail below), it is essential to contact bail bond agencies to obtain contracts for pursuing fugitives. A good place to start is searching in the county in which you wish to operate and contact agencies expressing your interest along with citing the training that you have completed. By proving you have already completed training it shows that you are dedicated to the profession and are a safe and knowledgeable Fugitive Recovery Agent.

Washington Bounty Hunter License and Requirements

Before applying for a Bail Bond Recovery Agent’s license in Washington it is important to be aware that you must meet certain requirements. One must be at least 21 years old, a legal resident of the US or a US citizen, not have been convicted of a crime that “relates to the capacity to perform the duties” of a Bounty Hunter, and have a high school diploma, GED, or proof of 3 years experience in the bail bond industry. If you meet these requirements, Bounty Hunter licenses are issued by the http://www.dol.wa.gov/ Washington State Department of Licensing. After training is completed, one must pass an examination covering all the topics in training. It is comprised of 50 multiple choice questions, 35 of which must be answered correctly in order to obtain a license. The examination takes place after the receipt of a completed http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/692005.pdf license application, along with a fingerprints card and a $400 fee. The application requires proof of training completion so it is necessary to keep good records of all of your training.