Thread: Do I Need a High School Diploma or GED?

Do I Need a High School Diploma or GED?

We have been asked this question numerous times.

The International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) no longer requires a GED or High School Diploma.

We do require that private investigators or trainees have a high school level of English and Basic Math skills.

The reason for this change has come about because some high school graduates cannot spell or write Basic English, and some graduates cannot perform basic addition or subtraction.

Therefore, we only ask that the candidate view the actual educational skills required for investigations.
    Is a college degree in Criminal Justice good?

Answer: Yes and No.

Criminal Justice Degree graduates typically seek after government related jobs in the public sector. Private Investigations is in the private sector, and the laws pertaining to private investigations are different in many areas versus law enforcement.

But any college degree will be a Plus for the candidate in many areas.

What is the best education for the Private Investigator?

(That’s easy. It is called “Self-Education”.)

Self-Education includes actual experience in doing private investigations, plus a consistent study of the best How-to Books written by other private investigators.

Some students spend $3000 for a private investigator’s course at a local school, while others spend $500 in the best books and tapes through a self-study goal. Which is better? It depends how you learn the best. Some students learn best in a classroom setting, while others can learn by reading a chapter-a-day from a twenty-dollar book written by a well-seasoned private investigator.

If you wish to ask me any questions, simply CLICK on the button on this screen that is titled POST REPLY. (Remember, you must first be registered to do so. If you wish a free pass code, go to our home page at www.ipiu.org and click on the left button titled FREE PASSCODE, and then carefully complete the online application (which will require you to prove you are adult with your driver's license).

Cynthia

Cynthia Ford
    Administrator - IPIU
    ----------

Thank you for the info.

Michelle
    Make the truth known

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Cynthia,

I am enrolled in a Criminal Justice program at Kaplan College and they have a concentration for the private sector.

I have an acquaintance with a PhD in Criminal Justice who retired from his private practice with $4M in his pocket -- he now is head of a CJ program at a local college.

I believe in education; I have been a student almost continuously since 1955. I persue knowledge for the sake of knowledge. It is surprising what will come in handy in the future.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Originally posted by Cynthia Ford
    [B]

(That’s easy. It is called “Self-Education”.)

Self-Education includes actual experience in doing private investigations, plus a consistent study of the best How-to Books written by other private investigators.

Some students spend $3000 for a private investigator’s course at a local school, while others spend $500 in the best books and tapes through a self-study goal. Which is better? It depends how you learn the best. Some students learn best in a classroom setting, while others can learn by reading a chapter-a-day from a twenty-dollar book written by a well-seasoned private investigator.

Cynthia
    I agree whole-heartedly with Cynthia's comments on education (self-education). It depends on how you, as an individual, learn best. I prefer classroom, but most of my education has been on my own, self-paced, online, etc.

Getting the best books and tapes is the hard part. You need someone like IPIU to help weed out the dreck, and experienced pros to help you understand the value of the rest.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Matthew Mitchell Guest

Exclamation High School Limitations

Hi,
    I have been anxiously reading through all of these posts and I am thrilled to have selected this as a career possibility. I want to start my life off as a Private Investigator and see where life shoots me off to next. There is one problem i find in my logic. Im a senior in High School. Until now, i've been thinking that I can't begin my plans for the future because of my lack of requirements. I just want to make sure i am following clearly though, because it seems almost too good to be true. Can I still be enrolled as a senior in High School and begin my placement application work for Private Investigation? Your answers are greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Matthew,

[Size=huge]W-E-L-C-O-M-E to IPIU and the IPIU forums!!![/size]

I am ready for my first assignment and I am excited. I went through all the things you will go through. Waiting for the paperwork, signing the COE, waiting for the manual and test, waiting for Level 4, waiting for you badge, and finally, your first assignment. Take heart, it all happens.

I am not going to answere the question, that is up to those who know more than I do.

However, you do need to go to the
    Introduction's Lounge and introduce yourself properly. Once the members know that you are loose in the forums, you will have all the answers you need.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Matthew Mitchell Guest

Cool

Thanks a lot. Sorry I didn't introduce myself properly. I wish you much success.

Matthew,

The point of introducing yourself is to help us help you. If we know a little about you, we can provide more specific answers. Besides, until you post in the Lounge, no one knows you are here.

Can we agree on something

While it is good to get some type of education in the field of your choice. Most employers would prefer to hire someone who has actual work experience in your particular field. I have an A.S. degree, B.S. degree and working on my Master's degree in Criminal Justice . I have graduated with honors and been on the National Dean's List for 4 yrs., never once has an employer told me that they would just hire me do to my education. What I have been told is that they are looking for someone with more actual field experience. So the best thing I can tell you is, to get educated in the field, but also start working for someone so you may gain some field experience.

Also I may add it never hurts build a strong work history in your particular field, so that an employer who looks at your resume could notice your dedication and ambition.

Last but not least, always networK ! You never would believe for far it will get you in life, it really helps.
    Maurice Hopkins

Badge # 6975

Tina M Phillips Guest

Re: Can we agree on something

Originally posted by Maurice Hopkins

While it is good to get some type of education in the field of your choice. Most employers would prefer to hire someone who has actual work experience in your particular field.

So the best thing I can tell you is, to get educated in the field, but also start working for someone so you may gain some field experience.

Also I may add it never hurts build a strong work history in your particular field, so that an employer who looks at your resume could notice your dedication and ambition.

Last but not least, always networK ! You never would believe for far it will get you in life, it really helps.
    Maurice,

That's great advice. I agree that some education, experience, etc. will always help in the long run. But I also appreciate that not everyone needs to to get certified.

Maurice/Tina,

The PIs who are writing advice say they are looking for people with at least one of two kinds of experience - (1) experience in law enforcement or investigation and (2) exoerience in life.

The second is easier for those of us who are older and have worked with many kinds of people. We can relate to them because we share life experiences with them, e.g., weddings, marriage, kids, buying a house, paying taxes, idiot bosses.

The unpaid intern route may be all that is open to the young. If it is, grab it and make it work for you.

Tina M Phillips Guest
    Originally posted by Michael Harris
    Maurice/Tina,

The second is easier for those of us who are older and have worked with many kinds of people. We can relate to them because we share life experiences with them, e.g., weddings, marriage, kids, buying a house, paying taxes, idiot bosses.

Michael,

I believe you are right. I'm in my 30's and I would have never known what I know now ten years ago. Life experiences just seem to ground a person more than anything. I know people who can focus and perform better in the classroom now than when they were in their early 20's. It's all due to life's ups and downs and turn arounds. A degree in 'Hard Knocks' would take us far.

Tina,

When I was in my mid-thirties, many of the retired military officers with whom I worked distanced themselves from me. They had grown children and grand-children while I had no children. When my daugther was born, I became everyone's friend because we shared something - fatherhood.

It is weird, but true.

Tina M Phillips Guest
    Originally posted by Michael Harris
    Tina,

When I was in my mid-thirties, many of the retired military officers with whom I worked distanced themselves from me. They had grown children and grand-children while I had no children. When my daugther was born, I became everyone's friend because we shared something - fatherhood.

It is weird, but true.

Michael,

I found it to be true that when you find a similar interest in other people, like having children, it brings out friendships.

In my opinion we need to study and be educated first then, there are some things we can only learn in the field. Being able to research for information or ask questions as we go is another way we can learn.

Michael and tina common bonds do tend to create a healthy work enveroment. By this i mean when you have a common intrest with another person, by getting to know that person they will usually be willing to share trade secrets and give help when needed.
    On the other hand when put with someone with different values ,hobbies and intrest you can allow one of two things to happen.
    #1- allow yourself to become distant never tring to understand the other person. Or
    #2-allow yourself to get to know the other person using what you learn to assist you in building bonds and to be able to use your new knowledge to assertain different methods of investigating and to teach the other person in the process.
    With each and everyone of us i was tought there are 6 different way to get the same point across.it's up to eachone of us to find the way that needs to be used to assertain what we are going after.

Timothy,

In the IPIU forums, we are all alike - we have a desire to help people. I think, or rather, feel that those who do not have the common desire to help do not stay with us for long.

To get back to the topic, I remember a talk from Major General Hatch, USMC. The general was, at the time, the DCS-Log (Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics) for the Marine Corps; among his duties was personnel. General Hatch mentioned that the USMC was not taking recruits who had not completed high school; a GED did not count at the time. The reason was that the Marines had more than enough potential recruits that they could be picky. The general's assertion was that a high school diploma meant that the individual had whatever it took to stay with something even if they did not like it. The diploma - the sticking it out for four years in a high school - was a credential in itself. It was not an indicator of intelligence, but of determination, which is highly prized by the USMC.

While education is always important in and of itself, lack of a formal education is not an indication of ignorance or stupidity or laziness or any other negative human quality. Some jobs need more education and training (the two are vastly different) that cannot be substituted by experience. Experience counts for a great deal in investigation. In New Jersey, it takes five years of experience to apply for a PI license.

Putting education aside, which is what I believe the original question for this thread. Attitude is very important. PI work can be dull and boring - and very eshausting if you do surveillance.

We believe that PI firms read the posts in the IPIU forums to see what people are really like. To that end, we (individually) need to project positive attitudes and maybe some 'perkiness'. Being able to write well is also important in here, just as it is in the real world. See Kanda Force's threads on writing - she give great advice.

Training will compensate for lack of aHS diploma or GED if you have the right attitude.

Thumbs up twenty-dollar books written by a well-seasoned private investigators

Do you happen to have any titles for such books?

Sincerely,

Anna A. Shadrin

Books

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Shadrin

Sincerely,

Anna A. Shadrin
    Hi Anna:

In answer to your queston, have you checked out the Book Store link? Since I am fairly new at this, I have been browsing around, and I remember seeing some interesting books there. Hope this helps.

Donna Reagan is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna Shadrin

Sincerely,

Anna A. Shadrin
    Here's one:
    http://www.privateinvestigators.cc/p...roducts_id=970

And others here:
    http://www.privateinvestigators.cc/i...b118dc395e6135

Thank you, Donna, for the book reference. It will surely come in useful for us.

Experience vs. Eduation

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Harris
    Timothy,

In the IPIU forums, we are all alike - we have a desire to help people. I think, or rather, feel that those who do not have the common desire to help do not stay with us for long.

To get back to the topic, I remember a talk from Major General Hatch, USMC. The general was, at the time, the DCS-Log (Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics) for the Marine Corps; among his duties was personnel. General Hatch mentioned that the USMC was not taking recruits who had not completed high school; a GED did not count at the time. The reason was that the Marines had more than enough potential recruits that they could be picky. The general's assertion was that a high school diploma meant that the individual had whatever it took to stay with something even if they did not like it. The diploma - the sticking it out for four years in a high school - was a credential in itself. It was not an indicator of intelligence, but of determination, which is highly prized by the USMC.

While education is always important in and of itself, lack of a formal education is not an indication of ignorance or stupidity or laziness or any other negative human quality. Some jobs need more education and training (the two are vastly different) that cannot be substituted by experience. Experience counts for a great deal in investigation. In New Jersey, it takes five years of experience to apply for a PI license.

Putting education aside, which is what I believe the original question for this thread. Attitude is very important. PI work can be dull and boring - and very eshausting if you do surveillance.

We believe that PI firms read the posts in the IPIU forums to see what people are really like. To that end, we (individually) need to project positive attitudes and maybe some 'perkiness'. Being able to write well is also important in here, just as it is in the real world. See Kanda Force's threads on writing - she give great advice.

Training will compensate for lack of aHS diploma or GED if you have the right attitude.
    Michael: I firmly agree with you that a degree in-and-of-itself does not constitute qualification to work as a P.I. I personally have a degree in Creative Writing, but this fact has not given me any advantage over co-workers in my sales jobs who barely skated through high school. In my professional life thus far, educational history has largely been irrelevant; job performance has been determined by attitude and experience, plain and simple.

In the end, education is certainly an indicator of determination--those that complete a four-year degree are devoted individuals--but not the sole indication of such. It is reassuring, however, to hear that those of us with writing skill, a positive attitude and an educational background are headed in the right direction... thank you for your comments!

Donna Regan
    As Jeffery S. Mitchell Wrote Your Thread Will Shurly Come In Useful .
    Tim Nance

Anna,

I have been going to the library looking for PI books after my visit to the book store chains. There were too many to choose from and some of them were very expensive. If your local library don't have it, ask them to search other libraries for you, the book usually shows up.

Cheryl,

The IPIU has a bookstore - http://www.privateinvestigators.cc/.

Try there.

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Private Investigating is good - it will get you started.

Looking for a bargain

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Harris
    Cheryl,

The IPIU has a bookstore - http://www.privateinvestigators.cc/.

Try there. The Complete Idiot's Guide to Private Investigating is good - it will get you started.
    Michael,

Thanks, I was looking at The Complete Idiot's Guide to Private Investigating in the BIG stores, and IPIU'S store has a better price

Those Idiot's Guide books are the best

Cheryl,

The IPIU bookstore has nearly everything a PI could want. They have done the hard work of finding and reviewing the books.

DJ Moran -- is offline Sr. Moderator:
    (On Leave of Absence)

Certified Distinguished Member
    Private Investigators Forum

Exclamation The need for more knowledge

Thanks for all the imput on this thread, I too, seem to be in some type of classes, at any given time. I went through a period, of just working, then came the career change of my life, IPIU. I am still taking classes, and will continue to.However,It is because the more I learn, the more I want to know. IPIU has inspired me to unbelievable heights.Any educational classes which you have the desire to learn can only enrich your life and your career.

It would be best to have a deploma or GED. Most employers now a days require some kind of education. Most community colleges offer a GED program, and also some High Schools. Check them out It never hurts to have one.

Rafael,

I remember a professional society luncheon many years ago. The speaker was the US Marine Corps Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics (DCSLOG) - a three-star general. Since he was in charge of Marine personnel, he decided that every Marine recruit had to have a four-year high school diploma, a GED was not good enough.

Why would this make a difference? He and his staff figured that anyone who could put up with four years of high school even if he hated it had the strenght to survive the rigors of being a Marine.

What does this have to do with having a diploma or GED in the investigation world? It shows that you can finish something that you start. It has nothing to do with intelligence or knowledge, but can you stick to something that you might not like.