Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How can we better absorb all that we need to?

Thanks Thomas,

I don't feel it's a burden at all. Like your post to me, I can choose to reply or not. In this case I wanted to so I can explain it's not a problem.

Where I get caught up is, if I don't reply at the time. Had I passed on by and decided to reply later, then it can take some time. Sometimes just to find the post is an adventure. It's all good, I learn something new every day.

Something I think I just learned, is save the e-mail that said a certain person replied to my post. By doing that, I know I still need to reply. Trust me I don't reply to every post, nor do I feel the need to do such. In your case I made an exception.

Rod Elliott

2. Reading

I try to read some part of the forum at least twice a day. There is so much information contained here that in cannot be done all at once.

I also try to follow the advice of the moderators, which seems to really help.

Just some thoughts……..

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    To All the Newbies:

I vary my reading. I subscribe to many threads and forums, so I get email all through the day. I read the mail, click on the link, and read (and frequently comment).

At other times, I take a significant thread and read EVERY post in that thread.

Sometimes I do a search on a particular term and read all the related topics that way.

It does not matter how you read the posts, just as long as you are reading on a frequent, regular basis. This is also a good job skill.

Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Thomas J Nicol is offline Ambassador of Good Will
    International Private Investigators Union

Sr. Distinguished Member
    Originally posted by Rod Elliott
    Where I get caught up is, if I don't reply at the time. Had I passed on by and decided to reply later, then it can take some time. Sometimes just to find the post is an adventure. It's all good, I learn something new every day.

Something I think I just learned, is save the e-mail that said a certain person replied to my post. By doing that, I know I still need to reply. Trust me I don't reply to every post, nor do I feel the need to do such. In your case I made an exception.
    That is exactly what I do, Rod,

And by the way, I do appreciate your reply, thank you. When going through my 40 to 60 emails a day, I can generally wade through 70 to 80 percent in a couple of minutes. Many don't pertain directly to me so they just go. The rest take a little more time and if I come across a couple I really want to spend a little more time with, like yours, for instance, I just keep the emails and when time permits, I pop back to them and share my answer.

You're doing a great job. Keep up the good work. It's good to read your replies.

Take care,
    TJ#5756
    Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach
    a just man and he will increase in learning.
    - Proverbs.

Visit the PI Store: www.privateinvestigator.cc

Learn and read

Great point. I can spend hours on line learning and reading
    forums. What a tool.

Thank you all for the education.

Chris A Brandt

Sr. Distinguished Member

Cool

You are most welcome. That is what the IPIU is all about. We are all here to help and support each other. That's what makes it so great.
    TJ#5756
    - Proverbs.

Re: How can we better absorb all that we need to?

Research has always shown that repetition and actually doing something are the best ways to learn. The way to get good at the forums is to log-in, read and post. The best way to focus on doing that is to set aside time every day to do it. Once you start working, it will make a lot more sense, because the practical application is what cements the learning.

You just have to keep doing it, and you’ll get it right.

BD Holtzman

Barbara,

Very true, when I first started here it took a fair amount of time to find my way around. Every time I come here it was somewhat of a challenge. Now it is much easier, and I actually feel like I know where I'm going. For me, like you said, repetition and application has enabled me to learn this forum.

If I just read it in a book over and over, it would help but without pushing the butttons it could take me a long time.

Rod Elliott

Learning and reading

Barbara and Rod

I my self at my age have to someimes read things more than once to get the point. and these forums are very helpfull that way. I'm not sure if you are as old as me but after 45 your brain does absorb as quickie as age 25...HA ha...

Chris A Brandt

Lightbulb

Isnt the saying that when you repeat something 3 times in a row supposedly you should have it memorized? Then again that might be an old wives tale! It might even be 5! I am not sure! In anycase, I too have to read things over and over but then that helps me to know the people that are talking in here.

I wish I knew more but I am learning everyday! Thanks to everyone in here for helping me see that I am not the only one that has a memory problem!
    Karleen

Chris,

My sponge is a little dry so it takes a while to absorb anything. Over 45, give me some time and I'll put a lap on that number. ha ha ha

~~ rod, not really old, just moves a little slow sometimes

Chris/Karleen/Rod,

I used to have a long commute and I solved it by listening to novels, non-diction, and inspirational / motivational books on tape. It works for me.

I have listened to some novels and then read them. When I do that, it sinks in and sticks!

Of course I am approaching 100.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

A few more ways to absorb....

When I first started, like everyone else, I felt I had no direction. But I followed all the links the moderators gave me first. The thread subscription was extremely helpul. Now I keep several windows open to read, reply to posts, and search.

The best thing I did was to create a binder and print out what I thought I would have to refer back to. I couldn't remember where I saw specific posts and wished I could get back to it. So, I started printing. I printed out the forums home page, forum rules, code of ethics, the Level explanations, the timelines, membership info, etc. I separated it into tabs such as License laws, Level Process, Membership, Forum Rules, Investigative tips.

Now it's all at my fingertips, and when I'm not at the computer, I can read what I want.

Also, I started creating word files (which I can print out later) to catch all the great nuggets of info while I'm reading. I saved different ones and use them to help me post answers and links to help others. When someone offers a link, I post it in my Links file with a description of what it is, and keep it as a reference library.

It certainly has helped me to understand the forums better.
    Diana DeClue

Badge #6850
    "Work smarter - not harder"

Good Morning Diana,

You sound almost too organized. I am not quite that organized, but my system works for me. I may modify it a little based on what you do.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Smile Hi Michael!

I guess working in a military atmosphere for five years has ingrained organization into my brain!

....and I am so grateful for it!
    Diana DeClue

Badge #6850
    "Work smarter - not harder"

Working smarter

Diane

Great foresight. There is so much information to absorb, so I to am saving info into files.

Keep up the good work

Chris A Brandt

I agree with Deborah Woehr

I start at the top and read and post my way down to the bottom. I go to the next Forum. In between, I answer my email. I had forty-eight emails today.
    Respectfully

Robert L. Shipley
    Licensed Private Investigator

I started, too, by printing a lot of the info. Then I decided it was somewhat of a resource hog (paper), and started copying info into Word documents, which can then be further organized into similar topics as they are here.

Although the nice thing about the "paper" trail is that I can at least take that with me to read when I have time to kill.

Sometimes it's hard for me just to sit down to get to the info. It can take a considerable amount of time reading through one topic (all posts) the first time. Working full-time, racing to three different sporting events with my kids, homework etc, etc, etc....

I'm sure there are lots and lots of us in the same boat.

I just got on here, and I have to go in 10 minutes!

By printing them and putting them in binders and into sections you can take the information with you, on a job you have not done before. You will have tips and any other information you might need.

Good Luck

Respectfully

Robert L. Shipley
    Licensed Private Investigator

Sr. Distinguished Member
    Excellent direction, Robert.

It just makes good sense. You have it if and when you need it.

Thank!
    TJ#5756
    - Proverbs.

Re: Learning and reading

Originally posted by Chris A Brandt
    Barbara and Rod

I my self at my age have to someimes read things more than once to get the point. and these forums are very helpfull that way. I'm not sure if you are as old as me but after 45 your brain does absorb as quickie as age 25...HA ha...

Chris A Brandt
    Actually, I'm older....

The real key to retention is keeping your brain working, just like you'd do with your muscles (barring any organic illness). Keep reading, thinking, and discussing and your mind will stay in shape.

You might also want to look into something called NLP. It describes how some people are audio, some visual, and others kinetic, or tactile learners (and of course, a combination of varying degrees of all three). If you learn by listening, you can write things a thousand times and not learn them, if you're a kinetic learner, you can listen for hours, and take three lines of notes and remember it all - simplistic examples but you get the idea.

All part of finding your "bliss," your own way of doing things.

Learning

Barbara

Thank you for your comments, they are very helpfull I will keep that in mind. Can you tell me more about NLP?

Chris A Brandt

Badge#6717

Re: Learning

Originally posted by Chris A Brandt
    Barbara

Thank you for your comments, they are very helpfull I will keep that in mind. Can you tell me more about NLP?

Chris A Brandt

Badge#6717
    NLP: Neurolinguistic Programming

Just cut and paste that into a web search and you'll get stuff. If you remind me, I"ll do it for you, but I am insanely busy so you may get the info faster if you do it.

Just about every motivational speaker mentions it in their stuff. It's easier to read about than apply - be warned!

NLP

Barbara

Thank you

Chris A Brandt

I want to thank all I read so many great posts here, it has really given me more confidence to go ahead and pusue what I want to do. I just wish I had more time to spend on the forums. I try to do alittle each day. I print out alot of material and try to read it when I have a chance I just need to organize it in my notebooks by topics. Good luck to everyoen.

I've been overwhelmed by all of the material presented on this web site. Some I've read systematically, some random reading. Glad I made a pit stop and read some of the recommendations. Will give it a try and hopefully I will no longer feel as if I will never catchup.

Regards to all!

Sr. Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Holtzman
    Actually, I'm older....

The real key to retention is keeping your brain working, just like you'd do with your muscles (barring any organic illness). Keep reading, thinking, and discussing and your mind will stay in shape.
    Hi Barbara,

Is that to say, "Keeping the Gray matter in the Pink"

I've also heard, "Once you slow down you begin to go down".

Have a great week and keep up the good work,

TJ
    Last edited by Thomas J Nicol; 08-17-2004 at 06:12 AM. Reason: correction

Sr. Distinguished Member

Post So much to read -- so little time

Quote Originally Posted by Benita Bentley
    I've been overwhelmed by all of the material presented on this web site. Some I've read systematically, some random reading. Glad I made a pit stop and read some of the recommendations. Will give it a try and hopefully I will no longer feel as if I will never catchup.

Regards to all!
    Hi Benita,

Don't be concerned about trying to consume so vast a collection of information/material as is compiled here within the forums of the IPIU. You have probable already read some of the comments on where to go first and dig the deepest.

Obviously, you need to read the rules and code of ethics, the threads that best get you around the forums. (My appologies for appearing a tad elementary), and not to seem redundant. But go to the areas of your greatest interest. Here is where you will gleen the most useful information and helpful hints.

I guess the main idea is to grow your knowledge of what will be most useful to you as you progress. When you have questions, go back to your Introduction Topic and ask your questions there, unless the question you want to ask is directly related to the thread you are in.

Enjoy your reading. I wish you all the best and have a great week,

TJ
    Last edited by Thomas J Nicol; 08-17-2004 at 10:28 AM. Reason: correction

I've been overwhelmed by all of the material presented on this web site. Some I've read systematically, some random reading. Glad I made a pit stop and read some of the recommendations. Will give it a try and hopefully I will no longer feel as if I will never catchup....
    Benita,

TJ gives good advice.

I just posted a comment elsewhere in response to a post in which the member had failed to do his reading and made a silly comment. Thie issue of how to read threads in the forums has come up a few times in the last two weeks. My recommendation is to read a thread from the first post to the last before making any judgments. Sometimes the real key shows up in the middle.

The issue of which treads to read is another matter.

In all fairness, I have been at this for just over a year and there have been several hundred thousand comments posted in that time - just read a few thousand a day and you will catch up.

Sr. Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Harris
    Benita,

TJ gives good advice.

...there have been several hundred thousand comments posted in that time - just read a few thousand a day and you will catch up.
    I just love it!!!
    Great stuff, Michael!

I appreciate the cudos and permit me to respond in kind. As I have said before, we are all just one big (for the most part happy) family. The good from one has got to rub off on another and so on... and so on... We all benifit by those who share good feedback. All of us. Trust you are well and enjoy the remainder of the week,

TJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Elliott
    My sponge is a little dry so it takes a while to absorb anything. Over 45, give me some time and I'll put a lap on that number. ...
    To All:

Rod has identified part of the problem - some of us are getting old. However, reading and writing and thinking and questioning everything will keep the "little gray cells" in shape.

Thanks to both you and Michael. I'm plugging away!
    Regards
    Benita

Cudos to TJ and Michael

Oops! I meant to post my thanks in this portion of the thread here.

So I'm making a brief correction here. TJ and Michael thanks for noticing my comment and responding so quickly.

TJ you are all over this forum. Yup, I've been reading! Wish I could do more but need to prepare for my other job.

Ciao'
    Benita

BTW: is there a way to remove a response once it is posted? Thanks again

Same but different

"Well" here it is August 2004, the same question just different time. I guess in some instances time does stand still. Being a new member to the forum is a very exciting and thrilling moment. Okay, a little overwhelming. The advice given on how to learn the forum was excellent. I thought I would truely be lost. With all the replies coming in my email, to trying to find where I posted at on the forum. Confusing Uh. Well, I say Thank you to everyone here for your great advice and your comforting guidance.

Sincerely,
    Athena Harris

Sr. Distinguished Member

Cool Answer coming -

BTW: is there a way to remove a response once it is posted?
    Benita,

It would be better if you ask this question in your Introduction Topic. You will receive your answer there. If you have not authored an Introduction yet, please follow the directions in the following link Click here for Newcomer Instructions

Thank you for your cooperation and enjoy the forums,
    TJ
    Last edited by Thomas J Nicol; 08-19-2004 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Additional

Sr. Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Athena Harris
    With all the replies coming in my email, to trying to find where I posted at on the forum. Confusing Uh. Well, I say Thank you to everyone here for your great advice and your comforting guidance.

Sincerely,
    Athena Harris
    Hi Athena,

Trust you have gotten your bearings. The main thread to locate and remember (put in your Favorites) is your Introduction Topic. There is where you will need to ask your general questions from. There is where the Trainers can best give you guidance.

Looks like you are "eye" deep in reading. Enjoy, learn, and grow. Have a great week,
    TJ

TJ I just re read your suggestion and I will return to the Intro forum. FYI I have found using the various dispaly modes extremely helpful.

In fact, I have now completed this form.

THanks to all for all of the wonderful recommendations and suggestions. Great food for thought.

Benita

Sr. Distinguished Member
    TJ I just re read your suggestion and I will return to the Intro forum. FYI I have found using the various dispaly modes extremely helpful.

In fact, I have now completed this form.

THanks to all for all of the wonderful recommendations and suggestions. Great food for thought.

Benita
    You are most welcome, Benita, BTY - you are unable to delete a reply, but it can be edited.

Have a wonderful week,

TJ

Hi Rod!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Elliott

Rod Elliott

I realize this is an old post but, if it helps another newbie, then I'd like to reply to this subject. I find that I prefer to read the whole thread before I reply to a post. So in order to find the specific post after reading sometimes a very long thread I keep a pad on my desk in front of me and I jot down the following (as in this case):

Testimonials, How can we better absorb...
    Page 3, Post#81, Rod

...then at the end of the thread, I go back and post my replies for this particular thread and move on to the next one.

I've enjoyed reading all the information you have so kindly delivered on this thread. Thank you, Rod. Best of luck!
    Cleo

Cleo,

I applaud your methodology. We have have a few members jump on the first recent without having read the entire thread. Your method will not only keep you from embarrassing yourself, but will let your learn everything relevant.

Keep up with your method - it works.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast