Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How can we better absorb all that we need to?

Thomas Nicol Guest

Question How can we better absorb all that we need to?

THERE MAY BE 2 OR MORE PAGES
    to this Topic!

Make sure you click on the Page Number at
    the bottom and top of this Topic.

I want to express my gratitude for the many moderators and members for their input in the various forums.. It is a joy to see such dedication.

I am really new to the IPIU and the forums. Being temporarily unemployed, I have a bit of time on my hands. I have constantly been reading all of the text I can, from the forums available to me. There seems an overwelming amount of information to imbibe.

Can anyone suggest how I might better absorb what is needed to build my knowledge base, or is it just a matter of reading and re-reading until the information sticks?

Grateful for your help,

2. Hi, TJ!

What I did at the beginning was start at the Trainee forum. Then I jumped to the top and started working my way down, reading and posting until I got tired. The next session would begin with the forum I'd left off on. I still follow that system pretty much today, although now I return to the training forum to answer questions. Sometimes when there's something I can't answer, I'll check back to see if anyone has.

Don't worry about not being able to absorb everything. You are. You just don't know it yet.

Take care!

Moderator:
    (On Leave of Absence)

Private Investigators Forums
    T.J.
    That's pretty much what I do too.
    It does seem to work and you can also save the important info in your favorite folder and refere back to it from time to time or create a binder.
    What ever you feel comfortable doing
    Take care
    Elizabeth Black
    Visit our New Home Page: www.ipiu.org

Thomas J Nicol is offline Ambassador of Good Will
    International Private Investigators Union

Sr. Distinguished Member
    Originally posted by Deborah Woehr
    Hi, TJ!

Don't worry about not being able to absorb everything. You are. You just don't know it yet.

Take care!
    Hi Deborah,

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement. They are always helpful. Between trying to get employment until this catches on, and all the reading and posting I'm doing, my time is pretty much filled up.

I had mentioned on a couple of threads, that I might be able to be of service to others providing their photos. I just don't know how or who to contact to offer the help. Perhaps you might be able to give some direction.

Thanks so much!
    TJ#5756
    Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach
    a just man and he will increase in learning.
    - Proverbs.

Visit the PI Store: www.privateinvestigator.cc

Temistocles Tatis is offline *** Certified
    Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigator Member

They are many way of doing it, the one I do recommend,
    is to discipline your self to work on the forums every day.
    Set up a goals to browse for certain amount of hours.
    If you stick to that for a few week first, then do it for one
    month, that routine will become a dedication.

In a few months you will be surprise of how much you
    information you have worked with. Practice make perfect.

Sincerely, Temistocles Tatis.

Sr. Distinguished Member

Thanks for the info.

Originally posted by Temistocles Tatis
    They are many way of doing it, the one I do recommend,
    is to discipline your self to work on the forums every day.
    Set up a goals to browse for certain amount of hours.
    If you stick to that for a few week first, then do it for one
    month, that routine will become a dedication.

In a few months you will be surprise of how much you
    information you have worked with. Practice make perfect.

Sincerely, Temistocles Tatis.
    Thanks, Temistocles
    TJ#5756
    - Proverbs.

Lightbulb Getting to work...and pay!

Happy Sunday, TJ.

The thread you started took the words right out of many mouths. I am new to this forum, too, and am in awe of all the different directions we can pursue.

Participation is obviously crucial. It is equally important to ask questions, answer questions, welcome new members, and respond with thanks and comments. You seem to have gotten that point already!

What impressed me was that you voiced what we all want to know. How do we take the wealth of info in this forum and turn it into money in our pockets?

Looks to me like there are many answers to that. One is to ask the right questions! If you want to offer skills you already have, then find the appropriate forum or board to post through. It appears our level of membership, and participation, governs the availability to eyes that are looking for skills to hire.

The rules of membership organize us into a marketable group of professionals! The levels of membership assure the clients that the referrals they receive will be of the stated quality and experience.

Thanks, again, for bringing up the subject! I am here to learn about work that I enjoy, find clients that need my skills, and offer my experiences to anyone that wants to learn from the hard knocks I've taken, and the easy roads I've found.

One of the ways I am branching out from just reading the postings, is to click on the SPONSERS sites and investigate the different tools available to us. I have been inspired by more than one of them!

We are all in this together! I have little in photography experience, and am glad you are available with your expertise...
    Anne Lane

Moderator:
    (On Leave of Absence)

Madeline Anne ,
    There are so many directions that one can pursue, it does make it a little difficult to know which one to chose?
    I'm leaning toward Process Serving at this time where I feel I can get some experience in many areas there.
    Glad you could be with us and Good Luck on studies.
    Elizabeth Black

Lightbulb Knowing the progression can help

Good Morning, Liz! It is always nice to see your encouraging comments throughout the forums... you are really paying attention! ;^)

The progression of a case, from defining the question to be answered or who is to be found, to presenting the finished report to our client or to the court, is a very long line of job descriptions. It involves many skills, and tools.

Process serving is an essential part of the legal system. Rather than thinking of it as a negative action to a person, (delivering a summons to them), I prefer to see it as a protection of the person's Constitutional right to know his accuser! The laws of serving a complaint and summons give the defendant thirty days to answer the court directly, and influence whether a court date is set or not.

I will probably stay closer to the beginning of case progressions, in finding the answers or people needed to GET to the negotiating table.

Stay in touch!
    Anne Lane

Moderator:
    (On Leave of Absence)

Madeline Anne, Good Morning to you!
    Thank you for your kinds words, they are very much appreciated.

Reading your Introduction I can see you would be very good at this

I also see Process Serving as Protection of ones Consitiutional rights. I always believed that everyone should have their fair say, no matter what the allocations might be.

I wish you the best of Luck in your work in case progressions.
    Stay in touch also!
    Elizabeth Black

Hi Deborah,

I have started using your technique for obtaining/absorbing info and it's working for me. Thanks for the suggestion!

Hi Deborah,

I have started using your technique for obtaining/absorbing info and it's working for me. Thanks for the suggestion!

13. Originally posted by Jerry S Pollock
    Hi Deborah,

You're welcome, Jerry. I see you're getting to know how the forums and the software work. Great job!

Right There With You!

Hello Everyone.

I can't tell you how much it means to me to know I have compadres out there plowing through vast amounts of valued information contained in these forums. How many times have I asked myself, "Is there a better way of accomplishing this task?" . I don't know of one. So think of me as a Sponge Bobbette absorbing all I can right along with you!

Thanks for the encouragement. I think Process Servers are an esential part of the legal system as well. At this time, I'm leaning toward more of a background approach but a former boss once said, "The business drives the need.." That said, I'm going to just learn all I can and seize the opportunity as it presents itself!

God's grace and blessing to all!
    Last edited by May K. Toney; 04-03-2003 at 10:46 PM.
    MT

God's promises are like stars; the darker the night, the brighter they shine.

Excellent point, May!

Originally posted by May K. Toney
    "The business drives the need.." That said, I'm going to just learn all I can and seize the opportunity as it presents itself!
    The client that PAYS is the one that writes our job description!

You said it so well, May. In our business, the questions to be answered, or the service to be accomplished, can vary from client to client. Certainly we can hone our skills to define specialties, and eventually pick and choose cases based on our experience and preferences.

As newcomers to the wide world of professional investigators, we fare best to be generous with our energy, minds, muscles, and discipline to help any fellow forum member or client. This way we can gain valuable experience and lessons to build us up the the high standards the IPIU wants to offer its loyal partners and clients.

Stay focussed, with an open mind! (I love a good paradox!)

Partners in Anti-Crime

Thanks, TJ, for starting such a great topic! The resulting responses from these ladies and gentlemen have really helped me stay active in the forum, and not get discouraged.
    Anne Lane

Thumbs up Warmest Thanks

Well hello Madeline.

Thank you for your kind words and valued support. It means a lot to chat with a partner in Anti-Crime who resides in one of my favorite states!

Best wishes to you and don't be a stranger.
    MT

Sr. Distinguished Member

Re: Excellent point, May!

Originally posted by Madeline Anne Lane
    The client that PAYS is the one that writes our job description!

As newcomers to the wide world of professional investigators, we fare best to be generous with our energy, minds, muscles, and discipline to help any fellow forum member or client. This way we can gain valuable experience and lessons to build us up the the high standards the IPIU wants to offer its loyal partners and clients.

Thanks, TJ, for starting such a great topic! The resulting responses from these ladies and gentlemen have really helped me stay active in the forum, and not get discouraged.
    Thanks for your kind words. I find each time I return, I see additional helpful information. That is what impresses me most, and seems to be the energy that flows constantly through these forums. It is the caring and support of the moderators and other members for the entire IPIU family, especially the newcomers.
    TJ#5756
    - Proverbs.

Lightbulb Case in point...

Originally posted by Thomas J Nicol

I find each time I return, I see additional helpful information. That is what impresses me most, and seems to be the energy that flows constantly through these forums.
    That is why I like your topic! It is a great place to initiate new members. It is certainly the first question on our minds, "How...?!"

It occurs to me to mention that a good way to make a strong FIRST IMPRESSION on future clients and/or partners, is to be seen as a responsive and thoughtful participant on the forum.

That means, make thoughtful points on every thread, make grateful replies, and help give EVERY member you can a reason to return to the forum daily. Since the wise moderators help us stay on topic, and watch us like shepherds that care, we can feel free to share our thoughts and needs, ideas and goals.

And, don't you love the feature that sends us an e-mail everytime there is a reply to our thread?! Now that was a truly productive and wise addition to the forum. Everyone loves to be responded to. Feeling 'heard' builds confidence.

Partners in Anti-Crime
    Anne Lane

Moderator:
    (On Leave of Absence)

Re: Case in point...

And, don't you love the feature that sends us an e-mail everytime there is a reply to our thread?! Now that was a truly productive and wise addition to the forum. Everyone loves to be responded to. Feeling 'heard' builds confidence.

Partners in Anti-Crime
    Hi Madeline!
    Yes right you are! The other features that make it productive are the

FAQ and Search buttons which make it so much easier to find the information one is looking for.
    Take care
    Elizabeth Black

Sr. Distinguished Member

Re: Case in point...

That is why I like your topic! It is a great place to initiate new members. It is certainly the first question on our minds, "How...?!"

Partners in Anti-Crime
    I absolutely agree with you and Elizabeth. That's one of the reasons I return so often. Not that I wouldn't return anyway, but it is a special impetus, I really appreciate.

And the and options are very helpful! And I really like your closing:
    - Partners in .... So appropriate!

Trust you will have a great weekend,
    TJ#5756
    - Proverbs.

Thumbs up Well put!

That means, make thoughtful points on every thread, make grateful replies, and help give EVERY member you can a reason to return to the forum daily. Since the wise moderators help us stay on topic, and watch us like shepherds that care, we can feel free to share our thoughts and needs, ideas and goals.
    Right on target Madeline, I couldn't agree more!

Smile

Hello Thomas!

From one new member to another, welcome aboard.

Instead of trying to absorb everything, try to absorb those that interest you the most. As Deborah said, you are already absorbing. The real question is, can you or will you be able to recall everything you have absorbed so far? Clearly not, because the mind only tends to recall (though we never forget anything) those things that interest us the most. Good place to start is with those topics that interest you the most and work your way to the least interesting topics.

Again, Welcome and G O O D L U C K T O Y O U!!!!
    Johnny Balla

Sr. Distinguished Member

Thumbs up Very well stated

Originally posted by Johnny Balla
    Instead of trying to absorb everything, try to absorb those that interest you the most. As Deborah said, you are already absorbing. The real question is, can you or will you be able to recall everything you have absorbed so far? Clearly not, because the mind only tends to recall (though we never forget anything) those things that interest us the most. Good place to start is with those topics that interest you the most and work your way to the least interesting topics.
    Hi Johnny,

Well put and full of truth! There is a great deal of wisdom in your suggestions, which I think I may already be practicing. I will continue in that quest to move forward.

Thank you for your suggestions and have a great weekend!
    TJ#5756
    - Proverbs.

Talking Welcome, Johnny, and Thanks!

From one new member to another, welcome aboard.

... the mind only tends to recall (though we never forget anything) those things that interest us the most.
    Great point. And, the way this forum is managed and designed, every topic is interwoven into the WORLD of private investigations, SO, simple curiosity can lead us to our next big opportunity.

I find myself returning to this particular stream of replies to Thomas' original query because there is always another tool revealed to add to my bag. (Thank you, Elizabeth, for teaching me the Faqs and Search features!)

We are winning the war, Folks!
    Partners in Worldwide Anti-Crime
    Anne Lane

Thumbs up

I am new to the forums but I have already learned quite a lot with the help I've recieved from the forums. I still have so much to learn. It's hard to try to absorb so much into my brain. I am going to school for Private Investigator and Criminal Justice and what I learn here, it seems I am overloading my brain!! Thanks again for all your help. I guess I will go learn, learn, learn!!!!!

Temistocles Tatis is offline *** Certified
    Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigator Member

Post Debra the IPIU is a great tool.

You are very lucky to have the opportunity to study private investigation some place else and belong to our organization
    at the same time. If you find your own mechanism to combine
    both resources they both will be beneficial to you. Good luck.

Smile

Hi Debra,

Welcome to the forums from another newcomer! There is a world of information here and many helpful and supportive people. Glad to have you with us.

Sr. Distinguished Member

Thumbs up One step closer!

Again, Welcome and G O O D L U C K T O Y O U!!!!
    Hi Johnny,

Well I'm a little closer with a renewed drive to dig in and absorb, absorb, absorb! I sent in my paperwork, fingerprints, photos, and all the rest, today, and I'm really looking forward to a brighter future, along with a new job interview this week.

The wonderful moderators and the many other great members of IPIU have been an inspiration to me, and have kept me going, when day after day I would come in from the mailbox with that look of disappointment. and empty hands.

But you all have been tireless keeping my spirits up, with the old adage: "Good things come to those who wait" hopefully with a little patience!

Thanks again for your support and all who have been so kind!
    TJ#5756
    - Proverbs.

Moderator:
    (On Leave of Absence)

Re: Welcome, Johnny, and Thanks!

I find myself returning to this particular stream of replies to Thomas' original query because there is always another tool revealed to add to my bag. (Thank you, Elizabeth, for teaching me the Faqs and Search features!)

We are winning the war, Folks!
    Partners in Worldwide Anti-Crime
    Madeline,
    Hello! You are so welcome, They really help alot and saves so much time
    Your doing great!
    Elizabeth Black

Moderator:
    (On Leave of Absence)

Re: One step closer!

Hi Johnny,

Well I'm a little closer with a renewed drive to dig in and absorb, absorb, absorb! I sent in my paperwork, fingerprints, photos, and all the rest, today, and I'm really looking forward to a brighter future, along with a new job interview this week.

The wonderful moderators and the many other great members of IPIU have been an inspiration to me, and have kept me going, when day after day I would come in from the mailbox with that look of disappointment. and empty hands.

But you all have been tireless keeping my spirits up, with the old adage: "Good things come to those who wait" hopefully with a little patience!

TJ,
    I'm so glad to see things are working out for you
    Patience is the name of the game, and you sure do have them
    Keep the spirits up and enjoy!
    Congradulations on receiving your information packet.
    Elizabeth Black

Sr. Distinguished Member

Smile I'm all smiles today!

Originally posted by Elizabeth Black

TJ,
    I'm so glad to see things are working out for you
    Patience is the name of the game, and you sure do have them
    Keep the spirits up and enjoy!
    Congradulations on receiving your information packet.
    Hi Elizabeth,

After straightening out the confusion on my standing, I was sent my package, which came in on Saturday. I spent Saturday and Sunday, minus the time for church, working on my test and filling out my paperwork. Today, I had my prints taken and mailed the package back. I'm so excited, its probably good you can't see me here shaking all over while I type!

Thank you for your ongoing support and kind words of encouragement.

Trust your weekend was nice,
    TJ#5756
    - Proverbs.

Moderator:
    (On Leave of Absence)

Re: I'm all smiles today!

Hi Elizabeth,

After straightening out the confusion on my standing, I was sent my package, which came in on Saturday. I spent Saturday and Sunday, minus the time for church, working on my test and filling out my paperwork. Today, I had my prints taken and mailed the package back. I'm so excited, its probably good you can't see me here shaking all over while I type!

Thank you for your ongoing support and kind words of encouragement.

Trust your weekend was nice,
    TJ,
    I'm grinning from ear to ear for you and certainty can understand the excitement your feeling right now!
    Not too long and you'll be out and about P.I. ing

As for the week-end I had my Grandson Turning 9 years of age this month.. (making me feel younger) we submerged ourselfs into a couple of games of scrabble..lol and movies.
    Where does the time go?
    Take care and talk later.
    Elizabeth Black

Sr. Distinguished Member

Re: Re: I'm all smiles today!

TJ,
    I'm grinning from ear to ear for you and certainty can understand the excitement your feeling right now!
    Not too long and you'll be out and about P.I. ing

As for the week-end I had my Grandson Turning 9 years of age this month.. (making me feel younger) we submerged ourselfs into a couple of games of scrabble..lol and movies.
    Where does the time go?
    Take care and talk later.
    Elizabeth,

Fantastic. Sounds like you had all the fun. I know how I really look forward to when my grandblessing comes to visit. We do the movie thing, or games of "go fish" - her rules , and she loves to draw. {wonder where she got that from? ... and her being left-handed, too??} Congrats to your grandson.

So, your grandson is 9 years old this month, wow. And I know you keep asking where the time is going. I did a thread reply on that subject a little while ago. {about elastic time}. My oldest is 12 going on 22... That one is in NJ. My daughter and he stayed with my wife and I, for 5 years (from 2 to 6 years) after her divorce. Now, she and my son-in-law (her 2nd) are waiting for my grandson to finish school to make the move to the sunshine state. Then I will have 3 out of 4 here!

I really need to pass 1 short tale about the 2nd marriage. My daughter and he had gone together for over a year. He and my grandson were so close, that on the day of the wedding, my grandson told my wife "Grandma, this is the happiest day of my life. My wife asked why. He replied, "my mommy is marring my best friend." That still bring tears to my eyes. To have such a wonderful relationship. And they are still tight after 5 years.

I have to back to the other forum now and find out at what point I have more access to the forums. I just mailed off my Pledge and test. Do you know if I will receive the score results?

Glad you had the opportunity to do more bonding. I always look forward to that.

All the best,
    TJ#5756
    - Proverbs.

Originally posted by Debra Mahoney
    I am new to the forums but I have already learned quite a lot with the help I've recieved from the forums. I still have so much to learn. It's hard to try to absorb so much into my brain. I am going to school for Private Investigator and Criminal Justice and what I learn here, it seems I am overloading my brain!! Thanks again for all your help. I guess I will go learn, learn, learn!!!!!
    Hello Debra and welcome to IPIU!
    I'm new as well and juggling a few things along with learning all I can about the PI field. I spent most of my life in a fast-paced, high volume, stress filled environment so never learned to slow down. In fact, stress and deadlines was such a constant element in my life, anything else seemed abby normal! I began tackling the IPIU forums in the same manner placing extremely high demands on myself. But a wise cohort of these forums recommended that I take it a bit easier and pace myself so that I survive the long haul and achieve the desired results. That's a new concept and a challenge for me. But practice makes perfect.

I commend you for your efforts and know you'll accomplish your goals. Look forward to hearing more from you!
    Last edited by May K. Toney; 04-07-2003 at 10:32 PM.
    MT

Re: One step closer!

Hi Johnny,

Hello Thomas!

I am very happy for you indeed. The knowledge you came with and the one you have gained from our knowledgeable friends and members of IPIU and these forums will help you do well on your interview. There is no doubt on my mind that you will get the job. Your hard work is about to pay off. Go proudly as IPIU member and get that job!

I received my I.D. yesterday along with the code of ethics that I have to sign and mail it back to headquarters.

At least in my experience, receiving the documents usually seems forever. Once you receive and complete all paperwork and mail them as instructed, you should receive your I.D. in no time.

Good luck and God's blessings on your interview!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny

Sr. Distinguished Member

Smile Thanks for the kind words and support

Thank you, Johnny, for your kind words. They are appreciated.

All the best,
    TJ#5756
    - Proverbs.

Moderator:
    (On Leave of Absence)

Re: Re: Re: I'm all smiles today!

Elizabeth,

I have to back to the other forum now and find out at what point I have more access to the forums. I just mailed off my Pledge and test. Do you know if I will receive the score results?

All the best,
    TJ,
    It usually takes about two weeks to hear on your test score
    They will send you an email with the results and also notification of your upgrade to Level 4.
    The excitement really starts then
    Congradulations ahead of time on your score, I'm sure you did excellent!
    When you receive your score be sure to post it in the Test Results Forum.
    Again Good Luck and Best Wishes
    Elizabeth Black

Sr. Distinguished Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm all smiles today!

TJ,
    It usually takes about two weeks to hear on your test score
    They will send you an email with the results and also notification of your upgrade to Level 4.
    The excitement really starts then
    Congradulations ahead of time on your score, I'm sure you did excellent!
    When you receive your score be sure to post it in the Test Results Forum.
    Again Good Luck and Best Wishes
    Thanks so much, Elizabeth. I hope you're right on the score, but time will tell. It's just slow at opening its mouth! LOL

Have a great day,
    TJ#5756
    - Proverbs.

Moderator:
    (On Leave of Absence)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm all smiles today!

Thanks so much, Elizabeth. I hope you're right on the score, but time will tell. It's just slow at opening its mouth! LOL

Have a great day,
    TJ,
    LOl.... I enjoy reading your post and your fine sense of humor
    Have you thought about being trained to be a Moderator ?
    Elizabeth Black

Sr. Distinguished Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm all smiles today!

TJ,
    LOl.... I enjoy reading your post and your fine sense of humor
    Have you thought about being trained to be a Moderator ?
    Hi Elizabeth,

Actually, I had offered my services as a trainee, and was told I needed to sign off on my COE Pledge first. I have done so, and it was mailed back just yesterday. Perhaps you might put in a good word for me, if you would be so kind.

If I have anything to offer, it is at least a sense of humor.

Thanks again for your kind words and support,
    TJ#5756
    - Proverbs.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast