Thread: PI LICENSING: Nevada

PI LICENSING: Nevada

DOE'S ANYONY HAVE OR KNOW ABOUT LICENSES IN NEVADA? PLEASE HELP ME IF SO.
    THANKS
    Doris

You do NOT need a PI License
    if you fall into the following:

1. To any detective or officer belonging to the law enforcement agencies of the State of Nevada or the United States, or of any county or city of the State of Nevada, while the detective or officer is engaged in the performance of his official duties.

2. To special police officers appointed by the police department of any city, county, or city and county within the State of Nevada while the officer is engaged in the performance of his official duties.

3. To insurance adjusters and their associate adjusters licensed pursuant to the Nevada Insurance Adjusters Law who are not otherwise engaged in the business of private investigators.

4. To any private investigator, private patrolman, process server, dog handler or security consultant employed by an employer regularly in connection with the affairs of that employer if a bona fide employer-employee relationship exists, except as otherwise provided in NRS 648.060, 648.140 and 648.203.

5. To a repossessor employed exclusively by one employer regularly in connection with the affairs of that employer if a bona fide employer-employee relationship exists, except as otherwise provided in NRS 648.060, 648.140 and 648.203.

6. To a person engaged exclusively in the business of obtaining and furnishing information as to the financial rating of persons.

7. To a charitable philanthropic society or association incorporated under the laws of this state which is organized and maintained for the public good and not for private profit.

8. To an attorney at law in performing his duties as such.

9. To a collection agency unless engaged in business as a repossessor, licensed by the commissioner of financial institutions, or an employee thereof while acting within the scope of his employment while making an investigation incidental to the business of the agency, including an investigation of the location of a debtor or his assets and of property which the client has an interest in or lien upon.

10. To admitted insurers and agents and insurance brokers licensed by the state, performing duties in connection with insurance transacted by them.

11. To any bank organized pursuant to the laws of this state or to any national bank engaged in banking in this state.

12. To any person employed to administer a program of supervision for persons who are serving terms of residential confinement

You do NOT need a PI License if you are working a temp case for a licensed agency.

State Law:
    http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NAC/NAC-648.html

UPDATE:
    Do I have to be a private investigator if I want to perform mystery shopping in Nevada?
    1. It is NOT necessary for mystery shoppers to become a private investigator in order to receive assignments;

2. If a shopper wants to complete assignments in Nevada, it is necessary to register with a firm that is associated with the Private Investigative Licensing Board.

3. Any mystery shopper who conducts assignments in Nevada must be an employee of a private investigator.

4. Fees can range from $100 - $120, depending on the company.

5. Nevada is strictly regulated and mystery shopping companies that do not follow correct procedure can be fined thousands of dollars.
    Other links:
    PI Licensing Board

Verify a PI License

Verify an Employee of a Licensee

State Law

Working as a PI in Nevada

Here is some more info on the laws in NV. I sopied this driectly from the website eefining certain business relationships and requirements for "non-licensed" persons for doing PI work in NV.

UNLICENSED EMPLOYEES

General Provisions

NAC 648.334 “Person” and “nonlicensed person” interpreted. (NRS 648.030, 648.060)

1. The board will interpret the word “person,” as used in subsection 2 of NRS 648.060, to include a person who:

(a) Is employed by a licensee on a temporary basis; or

(b) Performs clerical or administrative services as an employee of a licensee.

The term does not include a licensee.

2. The board will interpret the term “nonlicensed person,” as used in subsection 3 of NRS 648.060, to include a person who:

(a) Is employed by a licensee on a temporary basis; or

(b) Performs clerical or administrative services as an employee of a licensee.

3. It is unprofessional conduct for a licensee to evade the requirements of NRS 648.060, as interpreted by this section, by falsely representing that an employee of the licensee is an independent contractor.

(Added to NAC by Priv. Investigator’s Lic. Bd. by R002‑97, eff. 2‑4‑98)—(Substituted in revision for NAC 648.555)

NAC 648.336 Determination of who is “bona fide employee” for purposes of NRS 648.140. (NRS 648.030, 648.140)

1. For the purposes of NRS 648.140, an employee of a licensee shall be deemed to be a “bona fide employee” if:

(a) The board makes a determination that the employee is a bona fide employee in accordance with the criteria set forth in paragraph 10,416.052 of the Commerce Clearing House Unemployment Insurance Reports, which is hereby adopted by reference;

(b) The wages paid to the employee by the licensee are subject to the Federal Insurance Contributions Act, 26 U.S.C. §§ 3101 et seq., and the Federal Unemployment Tax Act, 26 U.S.C. §§ 3301 et seq.; and

(c) The licensee is required to file reports with the employment security division of the department of employment, training and rehabilitation and its insurer who provides industrial insurance concerning the payment of compensation to the employee. As used in this paragraph, “insurer” has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 616A.270.

2. A copy of paragraph 10,416.052 of the Commerce Clearing House Unemployment Insurance Reports may be obtained from the Private Investigator’s Licensing Board, Office of the Attorney General, Capitol Complex, Carson City, Nevada 89710, for the price of $2, plus postage.

(Added to NAC by Priv. Investigator’s Lic. Bd., eff. 4‑22‑93; A 10‑20‑95)—(Substituted in revision for NAC 648.560)

NAC 648.338 Employment of unlicensed persons. (NRS 648.030, 648.140)

1. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 2, a licensee may not employ an unlicensed person who is or becomes employed:

(a) As a peace officer, as defined in NRS 169.125;

(b) By a federal, state or local law enforcement agency; or

(c) In a position which makes him eligible to contribute to any public employees’ retirement system.

2. Upon receipt of a written request for exemption, the board will grant an exemption from the prohibitions set forth in subsection 1 if the board finds that the private activities of the unlicensed person on behalf of the licensee would not create or tend to create:

(a) A conflict of interest with his responsibilities to his public employer and his duty to discharge them; or

(b) The possibility of a use of his position with the public employer for personal advantage in his private activities.

(Added to NAC by Priv. Investigator’s Lic. Bd., eff. 7‑18‑88; A 7‑7‑94)—(Substituted in revision for NAC 648.550)

NAC 648.340 Registration fee. (NRS 648.140) Each licensee shall pay a registration fee of $8.50 for each of his unlicensed employees, except clerical employees.

(Added to NAC by Priv. Investigator’s Lic. Bd., eff. 3‑26‑82; A 7‑16‑85, eff. 8‑1‑85; 4‑22‑93)

Examination

NAC 648.341 Administration; passing score; exemptions; certification in quarterly report. (NRS 648.030, 648.140) [Effective through September 30, 2002.]

1. As a condition of registration of an unlicensed employee pursuant to NRS 648.140, a private patrolman or security guard who is licensed by the board must administer an examination provided by the board and ensure that the unlicensed person passes the examination with a score of 100 percent before the licensee employs any unlicensed person unless the unlicensed person:

(a) Is a clerical employee; or

(b) Has passed an examination administered by another licensee within the immediately preceding 24 months with a score of 100 percent.

2. In the quarterly report required pursuant to NRS 648.140, a private patrolman or security guard who is licensed by the board shall certify that each unlicensed employee, except a clerical employee:

(a) Is exempt from the requirement that he pass the examination required by subsection 1 because he was registered before October 1, 2000; or

(b) Has passed the examination required by subsection 1 within the immediately preceding 24 months with a score of 100 percent.

(Added to NAC by Priv. Investigator’s Lic. Bd. by R190‑99, 1‑18‑2000, eff. 10‑1‑2000)

NAC 648.341 Administration; passing score; exemptions; certification in quarterly report. (NRS 648.030, 648.140) [Effective October 1, 2002.]

1. As a condition of registration of an unlicensed employee pursuant to NRS 648.140, a private patrolman or security guard who is licensed by the board must administer an examination provided by the board and ensure that the unlicensed person passes the examination with a score of 100 percent before the licensee employs any unlicensed person unless the unlicensed person:

(a) Is a clerical employee; or

(b) Has passed an examination administered by another licensee within the immediately preceding 24 months with a score of 100 percent.

2. In the quarterly report required pursuant to NRS 648.140, a private patrolman or security guard who is licensed by the board shall certify that each unlicensed employee, except a clerical employee, has passed the examination required by subsection 1 within the immediately preceding 24 months with a score of 100 percent.

(Added to NAC by Priv. Investigator’s Lic. Bd. by R190‑99, 1‑18‑2000, eff. 10‑1‑2000; A by R190‑99, 1‑18‑2000, eff. 10‑1‑2002)

NAC 648.342 Scope. (NRS 648.030, 648.140) The examination provided by the board and administered by the licensee must be designed to ensure that each registered employee has a familiarity with and a thorough understanding of core topics, and must include, without limitation:

1. Recognizing noncompliance with specific laws, including, without limitation, NRS 171.126, 199.310, 199.430, 207.200, 648.013, 648.016, subsection 5 of NRS 648.030, NRS 648.060, 648.063, subsections 1, 2 and 3 of NRS 648.140, NRS 648.160, 648.200 and 648.203;

2. Recognizing noncompliance with specific regulations, including, without limitation, subsection 3 of NAC 648.334, NAC 648.338 and subsection 5 of NAC 648.431;

3. General rights of citizens;

4. Powers of arrest; and

5. Limits of authority.

(Added to NAC by Priv. Investigator’s Lic. Bd. by R190‑99, 1‑18‑2000, eff. 10‑1‑2000)

NAC 648.343 Results. (NRS 648.030, 648.140)

1. A private patrolman or security guard licensed by the board shall complete a form in triplicate provided by the board for each unlicensed employee except a clerical employee. The form must contain the results of the examination. The licensee shall distribute one copy to the unlicensed employee and one copy to the board within 10 days after the date of employment.

2. The licensee shall keep one copy of the form and the original results of the examination on file for 24 months after the date of the examination. The board may audit the records of the licensee. The licensee shall submit his copy of the form to the board within 10 days after the licensee terminates the employment of an unlicensed employee, except a clerical employee.

3. A licensee may accept the copy of the form that belongs to the unlicensed employee which contains the results of the examination administered by another licensee within the immediately preceding 24 months as proof that the unlicensed employee has passed the examination with a score of 100 percent if the licensee submits a copy of that form when he registers that employee.

According to this information...it seems that there are still some requirements in terms of registration, testing and so forth....I am in the process of contacting a local PI to find out more difinitive information. As soon as I have it I will gladly post it for all.....

There are still state mandated requirements for non-licensed persons engaged in Private Investigations. You may work for a licensed agency without your own license. However, you are still held to the same reuqirements for the state license. There is a test each non-licensed employee must take and score %100. After the testing, the licensed agency must register the non-licensed employee with the state licensing board and he or she is subject to background investigation by the board. Additionally, depending on which county you work in, you may be required to obtain a necessary work card issued by the local sheriff's office. Requirements vary county by county however, denial of the work card is not uncommon. Requirements and standards for private investigations work authorization can be very stringent in some areas of Nevada and, as I said earlier, vary from place to place.

Hi guys....

Haven't actually taken it yet myself so I am not sure exactly what the format is.

In any event, the only way I can find that you can work as an investigator without a license and the whole test and registration thing is actually working for an attorney. Well, not only attorney's but, it has to be a situation wherein there is a "bonafied" employer / employee relationship. Example: working for an attorney conducting surveillance for insurance or worker's comp fraud cases, background investigations on subjects of one or more of theri specific cases, etc.....

Good Luck!

Re: PI LICENSING: Nevada

I have a question. I have a lawyer if Florida that wants to employ me to do investigations over the Internet. can I use that employment toward hours in NV for a NV lic and if so how can I document it? What is required for NV? What do I have to show them?

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Opperman View Post
    I have a question. I have a lawyer if Florida that wants to employ me to do investigations over the Internet. can I use that employment toward hours in NV for a NV lic and if so how can I document it? What is required for NV? What do I have to show them?
    1. The attorney can employ you as a wage earner (just make sure you write in on the w-2 plenty of exempt deductions because your end of the year tax return will be offset from your PI Agency in Colorado. Then the w-2 is a traceable proof of record as an employed private investigator under the attorney. Experience is good from anywhere, as long as there is a document.

2. Or, if you have an employment agreement with a Colorado PI Agency as an employed private investigator (does not matter who the owner is), then have the Colorado PI Agency compose an Agreement between the agency and the attorney, naming you as the employed PI for the agency, of the scope of the investigation. Have the attorney sign it as a record of the investigation.

When it comes time to gather all of your work experience for Nevada, the Colorado PI Agency will have the records to attest to Nevada of all of the experience you have on record. The Nevada application will usually just ask for the name of the employer where you gained your experience. They usually just mail a letter to the agency to verify what has already been stated by the applicant.

3. For more help, ask in the Corporation Forum.
    Legal Affairs comments are not intended to be and should absolutely not be taken as legal advice. If you should require legal, tax, or financial advice, you must first enter into a written agreement with only a licensed professional for legal, tax, or financial services, signed by both you and the licensed professional, and paid a retainer in good funds. Legal Affairs is not, nor intends to be, nor solicits to be your licensed professional. Members accessing comments by Legal Affairs are required to be bound by their Terms of Use Agreement regarding Legal Affairs.

George Dakkak - is offline Certified SPI
    Private Investigators Forums Member

2007-2013 Professional Management Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

i might be moving to las vegas i already have a corperation license i currently live in ca , so will moving make a difference ?

Quote Originally Posted by George Dakkak View Post
    i might be moving to las vegas i already have a corperation license i currently live in ca , so will moving make a difference ?
    No, moving will not make a difference because your PI Agency Corporation License is headquartered in Denver, Colorado. You can operate your Colorado agency from anywhere in the world as long as you have internet, phone, and mail.

Read the following link:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...038#post478038