Thread: Process servers

Question process servers

I would like to known how can i open my own busines up as a process
    arva gilmore

Roni L. Pohl is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

2004 to 2005 Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Smile

Hi Arva,

I am in Maryland too and I would strongly suggest that you research your area in Maryland. If you are currently working for a private process agency, talk to the owner about how he got started. Before incorporating your business, I would market your services and get an idea of how needed the service is in your area. Once you are up and running, check the local and state laws concerning business licensing. Go to irs.gov for information concerning small business taxes and assessment laws.

Good Luck,
    Roni

Smile small business

HI Roni are you in the same business that i was asking about and were are you locate.
    arva gilmore

2004 to 2005 Member of:

Smile

I am currently an investigator (part time) for a skip tracing and private process company in Towson, Maryland. So, I work for someone else, but I tried to start a private process business of my own a few years ago. I personally found that the marketing, record keeping, serving papers myself, keeping in touch with clients and keeping track of the finances overwhelming for me. But I didn't have any formal training or education in business administration. I also started the business without the proper funds. Luckily for me, I had not incorporated my business, so when it didn't take off like I would have liked, I did not loose too much. Which is why I suggested that you hold off on any incorporation or licensing of your business until you are absolutely sure that it will take off. Again, there are many websites you can visit which provide answers to anyone wanting to start a small business in Maryland, including grants or loans which might be helpful. I will see if I can find some really good ones and send them in my next posting on here. Where are you in Maryland???

Roni

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:
    Originally posted by Roni L. Pohl
    Where are you in Maryland???

Roni
    Remember our privacy rules.... general regions are okay, unless the member wishes to reveal the city.

Thank you.

Source:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=2914

2004 to 2005 Member of:

Smile

Thanks for the reminder David. I do apologize. Arva had asked me where I was located in Maryland so I was simply returning the question in my reply. My intention is none other than to help with her questions concerning the area and starting a business here in Maryland. I have a lot of contacts within certain areas and was going to reply with more specific information for her. However, you are completely correct regarding the rules and I honestly didn't mean to ask anything inappropriate. I do apologize.

Thanks,
    Roni

Make sure that you write a business plan. This will require much research. This will be your starting point before you spend any money. If the business plan is too much for you then this area of owning your own company will be too much for you.

Michelle
    Make the truth known

process Server

I would like to known how can I open my own business up as a process Server in the state o f Florida
    Also a Bounty Hunter

Omar Castro is offline ** Certified

Sr. Member - Private Investigators Forum:
    Union Member of the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Post There are many ways in going about this.

The initial problem is the low self esteem people have once they start and notice the paper trail they need to follow.
    Then you can go to your local Small Business Bureau and take a course or two about opening up a business.
    Once you have done this the state laws are your next step.
    After you have established yourself by doing this you almost have a business starting up without you really knowing.
    I am also sure IPIU can help you out with pertinent infomation.
    I also think certification or licensing of PI or Process serving need to be obtained.
    Good luck and let me know what happens.
    Last edited by Omar Castro; 03-07-2004 at 11:24 PM.
    O.A.C.V. Sr.

does anyone know the exact qualifications for becoming a process server in Georgia ...or even a web link that I can go to to get this information ? Any input is greatly appreciated .
    James M. Cary Jr

Question Illinois Ad from County Sheriff Office

I am in the process of applying for the job of Processor Server for a county in northern Illinois. The job is advertised at the government website for the county, and is paid for monthly by the county.

After reading through the licensing laws, it would appear to me that the "license" I would be operating under would be court appointed as there is insufficient manpower in the county to serve all of the papers that need to be handled. I do, however, have some small doubts about the type of person I may or may not run up against.......we're talking granny trainee. Any additional training I should take, or worry about being armed?

I'm a career changer, with 20 years in corporations all over the world, so it's not as if I haven't run into all kinds of people; just note who were perhaps looking to evade the law!

Advice gratefully accepted! (I'll be on the 14.00 to 24.00 shift doing dispatch in the meantime to pay the bills, so this is in the way of looking for good experience).

Thanks!

Kristine King
    Chicago, IL Badge 6949

For a list of state laws and topic, go here and scroll down:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/forumdisp...?s=&forumid=16

I would love the opportunity to be a process server for a new experiance but would love to be involved more with other types of investigations also.