Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your Comments Totals & Your User Title Promotion

Your Comments Totals & Your User Title Promotion

Question: Why doesn't my post comments count move up my User Title?

Updated - Revised February 2006:

SECTION 1:

POLICY IN POST COUNTS:

1. Moderators and Administrators may REDUCE your post counts through Technical Support if there is evidence a member is posting frivolous comments or evidence of deliberately posting multiple comments designed to "pad" the post count.

2. Other posts are archived from time to time, which may result in a drop in the post count.

3. We encourage members NOT to think of their post counts, but rather think of their contribution and service to the Private Investigators Community Forums. Your post count and User Title will typically graduate on its own before you notice the recognition of your participation. Custom User Titles must be manually upgraded after the moderators are alerted of the need to promote the member's title.

4. Recent changes over the years in the method that tabulates the total number of your forum comments, and the resulting promotion of your User Title has taken place. The current User Titles are as follows:

• New Member: 0-24 Posts
      • Associate Forum Member: 25-99 Posts
      • Forum Member: 100-299 Posts
      • Sr. Member - Private Investigators Forum: 300-499 Posts.
      • Distinguished Member - Private Investigators Forum: 500-2499 Posts
      • Sr. Distinguished Member - Private Investigators Forum: 2500-4999 Posts
      • Certified Distinguished Member - Private Investigators Forum: 5000 Posts to 14999 Posts
      • Insignio Distinguished Member - Private Investigators Forum: 15000 - 24999 Posts
      • Certified Insignio Distinguished Member - Private Investigators Forum: 25000 - 34999 Posts
      • Provectus Distinguished Member - Private Investigators Forum: 35000 - 44999 Posts
      • Certified Provectus Distinguished Member - Private Investigators Forum: 45000 - 54999 Posts
      • Ulterius Distinguished Member - Private Investigators Forum: 55000 - 64999 Posts
      • Certified Ulterius Distinguished Member - Private Investigators Forum: 65000 - 74999 Posts
      • Regal Distinguished Member - Private Investigators Forum: 75000 - 84999 Posts
      • Certified Regal Distinguished Member - Private Investigators Forum: 85000 - 99999 Posts
      • Honorary Distinguished Member - Private Investigators Forum: 100,000 Posts

5. If you have a Custom User Title, then adding an additional title from the #4 list above requires a manual upgrade. (To request the manual upgrade, email us using the CONTACT US link)

Examples of Custom User Titles:
      • Private Investigator Forum Member
      • Private Investigator Member
      • Certified (including any stars (*)
      • Licensed Private Investigator
      • Agency Owner
      • Corporation Owner
      • Ambassador of Good Will
      • and Any Other title not mentioned in the #4 list above.

Note:
    Your comments and participation now counts on close to 400 forums and private sub-forums.

SECTION 2:

COMMENTS DO NOT COUNT for the following....

• Mystery Stories, Brain Teasers, Puzzles, and Thinkers Forum

• MOVIES, DVDs, & Gifts Forum

• Chat Forum

• Test Your Forum Skills Forum

• Posts that have been moved to Archive

As a result of forum member growth the post count requirements have been increased. And I suspect they will go up again now that the Forum Introduction area has opened and many new members are joining us.

Request:
    If you have ideas on additional User Titles, please post them here in this topic. We expect to have ten levels in the next six months as posted comments grow.

Quote Originally Posted by Leisl D Olson
    Here's a question regarding post counts.

I have posted a number of replies inside the same thread and all of them show the same number of posts, the number never increased. These posts were made on different days for the most part, a few were made the same day as I was having a converstaion with another member......Why didn't my post count increase ????????
    You can check this yourself by clicking on the PROFILE button of any member. Then click on the option Search for all posts by this user. .

The total number of posts for all forums for Level 4 members will show. Subtract the number of what shows as comments from the total, and the difference is probably those few in the non-post count forums.

And before you post a Reply to this Topic, write down your current comment total - then post a Reply. It should increase.

I also see 5 comments posted in the Test Your Forum Writing Skills are - which do not count.
    http://ipiu.org/forums/search.php?s=...der=descending

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Bryan McManis
    Greetings:

I think the use of more titles would benefit the members in more then one way. The first way would encourage members to get involved and post because they will be rewarded for doing so. In addition, it is a natural moral booster. I got more excited over getting my last title change then getting my seal. That really did happen. I was not expecting the seal and it was awesome to be caught off guard when I did receive the seal; however, I knew I was getting close to a title change and was very excited when it did happen.

In closing, there have been many good titles proposed and should be considered for future use.

Sincerely,
    I agree. Rewards for posting are more beneficial than upgrading titles. Posting will help improve communication and 'networking' skills which are valuable assets to have - as an investigator of any kind. Posting is exercise for improving your command of the English language!

When I research job postings for Private Investigators, many firms stress proficiency in communication with individuals and the public, report writing, interviewing and procedural/policy documentation. Also, networking allows great exchange of information and adds a personal touch to a global community.

The hardest part of posting that I find so far, is that the threads already contain the answers to most of my questions - I feel that just posting "great job, great advice, etc" is overkill and I want to contribute more (without sounding "preachy") because I value eveything I can learn from others. Then I don't have to learn the hard way!

Greeting,

Here is another idea to point out concerning posting. This forum forces you to use your typing and writing skills. This is CRITICAL because you MUST have excellent report writing skills. You will be judged by this simple fact more then any other as a PI. You could have the looks and skills of James Bond; but if you have poor writing skills, you are doomed in this type of field.

Something for everyone to think about as you make your posts here in the forums. The reports you turn in (like it or not) will determine if you get another job or keep a client.

Sincerely,

Originally posted by Jeff Creedon
    This is very useful info. Now I understand why people have the titles the do. Is there anyone out there thats a Certified Distinguished Member? (5000+ posts)
    Kanda Force, Sr Moderator, has had the lead for over a year. She is at 4011 currently. However, every time she gets near the top, our department seems to come up with a higher user title award and raise the post count.

Oddly too, is most of the Administrators have fewer post counts because we are too busy working on the forum software and topics behind-the-scenes - which does not reflect the amount of work we put into the forums in the manner of comments. But that's okay.

Re: Title Change

Originally posted by Felicia Tausig
    Thanks, I appreciate the clarification on the posts status lines. I hope to become an Associate Member before the end of the month. It's good to have goals - it helps keep you focused!
    I must admit, members with higher comment counts that post quality remarks gain a higher score for our office then trying to imagine a ghost is qualified. Yes, we have had many investigators work for us who have never posted on the forums. But it seems the more recent investigators that have worked for us have high comment counts, as they feel a duty to help others learn what they have experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Cervantes
    Do you have to be a member(paid) to be promoted to higher user titles?
    No.

Our firm hires both experienced private investigators and trainees which can be either union members or non-union members. Although our private assignment forum is restricted to Level 4 union members, it is also open to non-union members if they sign up for an available assignment.

But I have seen investigators who have very little post counts here struggle with our final orientation instructions because they cannot navigate the forums or print off the documents or carry on an interactive dialog with our managers. I have seen this with both union members and non-union members who have very low post counts.

On the other hand, the investigators and trainees who have high post counts seem to do a better job at our assignments. We also notice that they communicate better, write better, and are generally more effective in understanding our assignment. They are also more helpful in aiding other investigators who may have low post counts.

Another observation I have seen is the use of multiple paragraphs in posted comments versus posting all of the sentences in one long paragraph. It is annoying to read six or seven sentences containing multiple issues which are all contained in one long paragraph. Forum members should break up their individual issues and ideas into separate paragraphs in their posted comments. (It is much easier for me to visually pick out a key question or comment on a page with several paragraphs than being forced to read through one very long paragraph.

(Somewhere in the forums it has been suggested to avoid the old rule of English which required a minimum of three sentences for each paragraph. The Internet changed that years ago. So if you have a key thought or question or comment that is only one or two sentences, then type it in a separate paragraph regardless of what your English teacher instructed years ago)

Our director has often said, "If you don't use it, you may lose it." And I take that to mean your writing skills, voice, brain, exercise, and a number of items that an investigator needs to retain their success.

PS: If you leave open an extra browser window, you can use the free spell check at http://www.spellcheck.net . It is not as good as using your Microsoft Word spell check, but it is better than nothing when posting your comments on a board where spelling skills are always judged by those who read your comments.
    Josie

MS. JOSIE RAY
    Federal Civil Case Manager
    Law Offices Of Attorney Services
    National Division

B Ann Craig - is offline Administrative Forum Trainer

Sr. Certified Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabra J Grant
    Your post is far from being gratuitous or superfluous, and shows just the opposite. As for pushing up your count, I only wish we received counts based on content, accuracy, and value rather then on just posting. For all I know we do. I believe I read somewhere that the substance of our posting is taken into consideration by IPIU staff.
    Dabra, your wish is granted. Post counts have always been based on content, accuracy, and the value of the post, as well as the post count number. Empty posts (post with know value at all) are not taken into account. Meaningful posts will count much much more in a member getting ahead on our forum. I hope this will help. Good luck in all you do.

Have a wonderful week. Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Neidert
    I have the same question, but I couldn't have expressed myself so clearly. I did not see an answer to this inquiry. Can somone please respond so that we will know. Our post counts help us advance, they give us the privilege to access new forums where we can learn more. They are very important. If somone would respond it would be greatly appreciated.
    They did. Your 10th post will not remain marked as "10." It will be equivalent to your latest sum total. So, if your 10th is on Tue and your 20th is on Friday, ALL 20 of your posts will show "20" as your post count, even the Tue post. In other words, they're not numbered in sequential order; they're totalled as you go!
    Hope that clarifies.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda Ann Rader
    I am new to this, however, I enjoy following the threads. I find new and interesting things every time I come on. I was just wondering how I am able to keep track of how many posts I have put out. If anyone can help me figure that out it would be great. Thanks alot, Amanda.
    Amanda,

In the trop right corner you will find the # of posts you have.

There is a wealth of information ...jut read, read, read, and then when you feel the need or a particular subject hits you strongly...begin your posting replies. Before you realize it, you will have 10, then 20 and so on. The post count will definitely continue to climb. Like some other folks , I don't have a lot of spare time to get online, so I try to make every bit of time count.
    Have a great weekend everyone ! ! !
    Joseph

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Paul
    So what I am getting from the posts here is that you have to have a high post total to move up levels, am I correct?
    Drew, you do not need a high post count for the sake of numbers. However, doing a few posts here and there does show your participation. Post when you feel you can offer something helpful, ask questions you are unable to find after searching the forums, etc. The count will take care of itself in time.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy H Maloney
    Wow, what a wealth of information.
    I had no idea how important the writing skills are in this profession. Could someone Please tell me where the grammar and spelling button is?
    Thanks for the help, Tim
    Tim,

That's a good question. I have yet to find them. I could use the grammer button as well.

There are a lot of great links in the pages of these forums. I have found them and saved them to my favorites. I now have a Dictionary, Thesaurus and other items on my I.E. page. I found a link for a spell checker also, however I have yet to figure out how to get it from my desktop to my I.E. page. I'm a little slow when it comes to some of this stuff.

Anyway, I just noticed that my title has changed from new member to Associate member. It must have been a few posts ago. Keep looking around and you will find what you want. Post when you have something to contribute and pretty soon your title will change also.

Have a Great Holiday! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
    Last edited by B Ann Craig -; 04-11-2005 at 04:50 AM.

DJ Moran -- is offline Sr. Moderator:
    (On Leave of Absence)

Certified Distinguished Member
    Private Investigators Forum

Exclamation Everything is taken into consideration

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica Rose O'Bryan
    I feel that one's actual accomplishments should play a part in the upgrading process. Such as assignments completed...or are these already taken into consideration?
    Thankyou.
    -Jessica Rose O'Bryan
    Jessica, Everything, I mean everything, is taken into consideration. The levels which you progress,depend on all you do, not just posting.Continue to read everything that is available to you at the level you are at, then when you move to another level, do the same, all links too. Read, Learn, and Have fun too!!!!!!!!

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Robert,

Well said. You are focusing on the things that matter.

I read hundreds of posts before making my first one. I still read 30-50 posts for everyone I make.

The things that are most important are asking questions and providing support to others. I do some serious research when the mood strikes and I post my results. I have a need to talk and to write; I hope that what I say in the IPIU forums helps someone.

Thomas J Nicol is offline Ambassador of Good Will
    International Private Investigators Union

Sr. Distinguished Member

Post Posts removed to archive

Members and Guests:

Off topic and non-essential posts have been removed to archive.

Please refrain from posting any of the following types of posts or replies: off-topic, non-essential, personal emails, anything that could be considered as “Questions to be asked in a member's personal Introduction Topic”. This topic is Your Comments Totals & Your User Title Promotion, and is primarily to assist members in understanding what each of these terms mean and how they are used within the IPIU.

Please read the posts left in place. The information should instruct you on the Topic.

You may post to each other in the level 4 Chit Chat thread, or the Chat Forum .

Other questions and comments may be posted from within your own Introduction Topics, where Forum Trainers and Moderators can best direct you and answer your questions.

Thank you for your cooperation.

I'm new here, about 2 weeks now. I do agree with what as been said here. I read alot of the posts, but do not always feel compelled to post a comment.
    What I'm doing is learning about this field and as it has been said over and over, read, read and read, so I read and I'm learning something new everyday. Today I've learned about the post numbers. Am I worried or care how many post I get today, no, but I do care if I learned something new, which I have.
    I myself don't use spell check, not that I have anything against it, I just prefer to look the word up in my spell dictionary that I keep on my desk. I also have a Thesaurus.
    My opinion is whatever you use is up to you, whats important is that continue to read and hopefully if you post, you make a contribution, so as other members may benefit from you and from the replies.

Oddly too, is most of the Administrators have fewer post counts because we are too busy working on the forum software and topics behind-the-scenes - which does not reflect the amount of work we put into the forums in the manner of comments. But that's okay.
    Someone has to keep this site up and running If not for people like you, then how would members be able to network and help each other learn and grow as professionals?

Thanks for your hard work.

I see by the posting criteria that new commers should post 0-24 posts, but every where I have been states 30. I am assuming this was a change someplace that I have yet to get to. If this is true, have there been any other changes that affect how many posts a new member needs and additional posts that do or do not count?
    Robert M. Flores
    USN Retired
    robert.flores@pi-agency.us

"If you are not having fun, then you are doing it wrong!"

Bobby McCuller is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    A Good user title, Free Investigate Tips Like Example:

The first the digits of a persons Social Security Number indicate what state or territory the person or subject resided in when they applied for their Social Security card.

Ex:
    001 - 003 New Hampshire
    004 - 007 Maine
    008 - 009 Vermont
    010 - 034 Massachusetts
    035 -039 Rhode Island
    040 - 049 Connecticut
    050 -134 New York
    135 -158 New Jersey
    159 - 211 Pennsylvania

I have the whole list for all 48 states.If there is some in the office ask them what is their first three digits of their ss# and you can tell them what state it was issued.

Bobby McCuller Sr.
    IPIU Member

John G - is offline Retired Forum Moderator

Private Investigators Forums
    Sponsored by the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Custom User Titles, such as Moderator, or Licensed Agency Owner, or certain stars (**) in the title require a manual upgrade. To request the manual upgrade, email us using the CONTACT US link at the bottom of any forum page.
    Hello. I guess my User Title needed to be manually upgraded. I noticed that my post count was enough for another upgrade but I had to request the manual upgrade. Thank you!

Re: Your Comments Totals & Your User Title Promotion

Here's a link to the official site for Social Security. It gives a list of the SS # Allocations. Very helpful.

http://www.ssa.gov/employer/stateweb.htm
    Sincerely,
    Cynthia Brower
    Central Massachusetts

Re: Posts

I believe that if you respond to a post, you should be adding or discussing the information that you receive, and not just saying yes I agree... There should be some kind of information in your post that has some view or add information that gives it value... Not just upping your numbers... A title won't change who you are or what you know, but should be a reflection of what you learn. There is a lot of value that can be obtained from these pages, but you learn from listening (and reading) and not comenting. This is what will make a differance. It is what you do with the information that will make a differance... Good luck to everyone...

It was interesting reading this forum.Up to now I was confused by the multiple titles of the various members. Now all is clear and i understand the posting system much better. Thanks

Cool Re: Your Comments Totals & Your User Title Promotion

I greatly appreciate the help in knowlege everyone is putting out there.This is the best forum I have found in a long time.I am so glad that the whole posting count has been cleared up somewhat

Luke A Slowik is offline *
    Moderator (Retired)

Former Law Enforcement Officer
    Distinguished Member: Private Investigators Forum

Thumbs up Re: Your Comments Totals & Your User Title Promotion

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby McCuller
    A Good user title, Free Investigate Tips Like Example:

The first the digits of a persons Social Security Number indicate what state or territory the person or subject resided in when they applied for their Social Security card.

Ex:
    001 - 003 New Hampshire
    004 - 007 Maine
    008 - 009 Vermont
    010 - 034 Massachusetts
    035 -039 Rhode Island
    040 - 049 Connecticut
    050 -134 New York
    135 -158 New Jersey
    159 - 211 Pennsylvania

I have the whole list for all 48 states.If there is some in the office ask them what is their first three digits of their ss# and you can tell them what state it was issued.

Bobby McCuller Sr.
    IPIU Member

Wow. To be honest I really didn't get the fact that the amount of posting you do affects titles, grades, etc. After reading every post and reply I better have a jist of the system. I also learned something really interesting regrading the ss# and the correlation it has with your state. Thanks for all of your contributions.

Eric Catron is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Union Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Re: Updated - Revised February 2006:

Quote Originally Posted by Technical Support
    POLICY IN POST COUNTS:

[[*]Honorary Distinguished Member - Private Investigators Forum: 100,000 Posts

I couldnt imagine this many posts I believe for certain the keys would be worn off my laptop by then.

What is the highest post count to date?

Eric

Carmen Acai is offline *** Certified

Sr. Moderator
    Certified Distinguished Member
    Private Investigators Forums

Re: Updated - Revised February 2006:

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Catron
    I couldnt imagine this many posts I believe for certain the keys would be worn off my laptop by then.

What is the highest post count to date?

Eric
    Check in here: http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26559

Dan MacPhee is offline * Certified
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:

Thanks for the clarification on post counts and the info social security numbers.

I am really putting my investigative skills to use today because I came to the right place. I wanted to know how posts are gauged in terms of appointing an appropriate title. The answer was very helpful.

Myra D. Price

Kaitlyn Jolly - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:

I didn't realize the title process either, this clears up any advancement questions I may have had.

Thank You,I have read this site.
    Edwin I. Bumbaco

Thanks Cynthia for that link to the SS#'s..I found it very interesting and informative. I had no idea. It seems like the more I explore in IPIU, the more I find. There is so much information that I never thought existed. As I explore, through here I learn more and more. I also want to commend all of the Moderators and Advisors...you are doing such a great job and alot of work. Just to keep up with everything that we need to know and with everyone has got to be overwhelming....but I'm sure exhilerating and rewarding. Keep up the good work.! i really appreciate it, as I'm sure everyone else does.

Jonathan Sherman - is offline Licensed Private Investigator

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Very helpful info. Thanks.

Thank you Cynthia for a great link and or research tool. I haven't gone through the entire SS website as of yet, but is there a breakdown as well for the last four numbers or any meaning to the middle two?

Bobby Jo Davenport is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Member of:

Thanks for the help on the clarification of post counts the info helped
    Bobby Jo Davenport
    Badge#11575

Karen O'Toole is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Member of:

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia Brower View Post
    Here's a link to the official site for Social Security. It gives a list of the SS # Allocations. Very helpful.

http://www.ssa.gov/employer/stateweb.htm
    Thank you for this information. I have searched for this in the past as someone had told me about having a list such as this. This is going to be very helpful in the future. Thank you again
    Karen Rulla
    Badge 11571

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:

Karen,

I have always found this useful. I use it during loan signings (I am a Certified Notary Signing Agent) when I have suspicions about the signer. I also have a guide (updated every year) on drivers licenses for all the US states and Canadian provinces. Who would have thought that some states would issue a drivers license that is good for 35 years?
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

David Turner - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

2008 - 2009 Member of:

I've read quite a few posts and noticed the dates of the posts. My question is, if I find a post that I would like to respond to, but the date is lets say, 2003, should I respond there?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast