Thread: PI LICENSING: Massachusetts

P.I. Licensing in MA

In the State of Massachusetts where I reside, it will take 3 years working under the license of a P.I. for me to become license.

Steve G.

STEVE D GALLOWAY
    Licensed Private Investigator (RI #37)
    President
    Special Investigative Services

NO LICENSE REQUIRED
    for Private Investigators,
    if the following applies
    :

QUOTE:

1. NO LICENSED NEEDED IF YOU ARE WORKING: For an attorney at law in the practice of his profession.

2. NO LICENSED NEEDED IF YOU ARE WORKING: For any trade or business association, board or organization, incorporated or unincorporated, which furnishes as a service to members thereof, information pertaining to the business and financial standing, credit responsibility or reputation of persons with whom such members consider doing business; provided, that an investigation conducted by such association, board or organization shall be no more extensive than is reasonably required to determine the business and financial standing, credit responsibility or reputation of such person.

3. NO LICENSED NEEDED IF YOU ARE WORKING: Investigations with respect to, or the compilation or dissemination of, any data or statistics pertaining to any business or industry, by any trade or business association, board or organization, incorporated or unincorporated, not operated for profit, representing persons engaged in such business or industry, or by any agent of any such trade or business association while he is engaged in the discharge of his duties as such agent.

4. NO LICENSED NEEDED IF YOU ARE WORKING: Investigations as to the personal habits and financial responsibility of applicants for insurance or indemnity bonds, provided, such investigations do not include other activities described in section twenty-two.

5. NO LICENSED NEEDED IF YOU ARE WORKING: For a credit reporting bureau or agency whose business is principally the furnishing of information as to business and financial standing and credit responsibility.

6. NO LICENSED NEEDED IF YOU ARE WORKING: For an insurance adjuster or investigator while acting in such capacity as an employee.

7. NO LICENSED NEEDED IF YOU ARE WORKING: For a charitable, philanthropic or law enforcement agency, duly incorporated under the laws of the commonwealth, or any agent thereof while he is engaged in the discharge of his duties as such agent; provided, that such agency is promoted and maintained for the public good and not for private profit.

8. NO LICENSED NEEDED IF YOU ARE WORKING: Investigations if engaged in earning livelihood by genealogical work and the compilation of family history while so engaged.

9. NO LICENSED NEEDED IF YOU ARE WORKING: As a person employed as an investigator, detective, watchman, guard, patrolman, or employed or assigned to perform any of the activities described in the definition "watch, guard or patrol agency" or whose duties include an inquiry into the fitness of an applicant for employment, in connection with the regular and customary business of his employer and whose services are not let out to another for profit or gain, but only while so acting for his employer.

10. NO LICENSED NEEDED IF YOU ARE WORKING: As a person employed by or on behalf of the commonwealth, including the general court or either of its branches, any committee of the general court or either of its branches, any special commission required to report to the general court, any political subdivision of the commonwealth or any public instrumentality, while such person is engaged in the discharge of his official duties.

11. NO LICENSED NEEDED IF YOU ARE WORKING: Investigations if hired by the owner of a residential dwelling for the limited purpose of inspecting the exterior of an unoccupied residential dwelling for storm damage.

12. NO LICENSED NEEDED IF YOU ARE WORKING: Independently and currently licensed by the commonwealth in a profession or field of expertise, whereby they are exclusively utilized and confined in conducting an investigation to that profession or field of expertise, inasmuch as the context and extent of their inquiry and investigation does not exceed the particular area of their profession or field of expertise in which they are independently licensed within the commonwealth.

For Unregulated Cases Versus Regulated Cases, go here:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?14730

SOURCE LINK: Massachusetts PI Licensing Law: Exemptions

Other Questions and Answers are in the following link:
    Common Asked Questions link

Link to download all current Licensed PI Names: Click here

Main Link: Click Here

LICENSING REQUIREMENTS - No Experience?:
    " If you do not have the requisite experience to qualify for the Private Detective license, but you meet all other qualifications, you could . . . open a Private Detective Agency . . . and . . . hire a "Resident Manager". A "Resident Manager" is someone who qualifies for the license (or is already licensed) and is responsible to the Department of State Police Certification Unit for the actual license and to abide by Massachusetts General Law Chapter 147 Sections 22-30." Source Link

LICENSING REQUIREMENTS - Experience Qualifications:

Chapter 147: Section 24. Applications; qualifications of applicants.

Section 24. An application for a license to engage in the private detective business or a license to engage in the business of watch, guard or patrol agency shall be filed with the colonel of the state police on forms furnished by him, and statements of fact therein shall be under oath of the applicant.

Such application shall include a certification by each of three reputable citizens of the commonwealth residing in the community in which the applicant resides or has a place of business, or in which the applicant proposes to conduct his business, that he has personally known the applicant for at least three years, that he has read the application and believes each of the statements made therein to be true, that he is not related to the applicant by blood or marriage, and that the applicant is honest and of good moral character.

The applicant, or, if the applicant is a corporation, its resident manager, superintendent or official representative, shall be of good moral character, and, unless such application is for a license to engage in the business of watch, guard or patrol agency:

1) Shall have been regularly employed for not less than three years as a detective doing investigating work, or;

2) A former member of an investigative service of the United States, or;

3) A former police officer, of a rank or grade higher than that of patrolman, of the commonwealth, any political subdivision thereof or an official police department of another state, or a police officer in good standing formerly employed for not less than ten years with the commonwealth, or any political subdivision thereof or with an official police department of another state.

-
    Legal Affairs comments are not intended to be and should absolutely not be taken as legal advice. If you should require legal, tax, or financial advice, you must first enter into a written agreement with only a licensed professional for legal, tax, or financial services, signed by both you and the licensed professional, and paid a retainer in good funds. Legal Affairs is not, nor intends to be, nor solicits to be your licensed professional. Members accessing comments by Legal Affairs are required to be bound by their Terms of Use Agreement regarding Legal Affairs.

State licensing of private investigators is to regulate solicitation and advertising of services performed by private investigators to the general public. Without regulation of solicitation, the public may be harmed by false advertising.

The State of Colorado (which does not have licensing of private investigators) recently concluded a report to determine if regulation and licensing of private investigators by the state would be in the best interest of the public. Their conclusion, based on all police reports and complaints against private investigators, was that the public (in general) has not been a victim of false advertising or solicitation by private investigators to the extent that the state needs to regulate the profession.

They also concluded that the state has other departments (such as the Office of the Attorney General and their Consumer Protection Bureau) to safeguard any potential abuse by private investigators in their advertising or solicitation or other acts of unlawful conduct.

Therefore, the lawmaker's bill to regulate private investigators proved without merit at this time.

-
    Legal Affairs comments are not intended to be and should absolutely not be taken as legal advice. If you should require legal, tax, or financial advice, you must first enter into a written agreement with only a licensed professional for legal, tax, or financial services, signed by both you and the licensed professional, and paid a retainer in good funds. Legal Affairs is not, nor intends to be, nor solicits to be your licensed professional. Members accessing comments by Legal Affairs are required to be bound by their Terms of Use Agreement regarding Legal Affairs.

Thumbs up I'm So Impressed

Legal Affairs,

Isn't that wonderful news? That is just awesome! Private Investigators "truly" helping the public without taking advantage of them in critical situations. Colorado should be most proud. Now if only, we could have this great honesty of service throughout the world.

My cheers to Colorado!

Re: MASS LICENSE

Originally posted by Paul A Iantosca
    Dear Steven, Do you have your PI license for mass, and if you do how did you go about obtaining it. Any information you may have would greatly be appreciated.
    Best Regards
    Paul Iantosca
    Welcome, Paul.

To read our particiaption and membership details, click here:

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=5008

Hello To All!

I'm new to the forum and a tenderfoot in my early 50's. I don't think I've waited too long to join the P.I. ranks with my background and education though, and I'm a quick study. For curiosity's sake, what kind of assignments would require the posession of a license in Massachusetts and Florida, two states where I plan to work?

As a Trainee What kind of cases would I be working?....Can I work for a Lawyer In Massachusetts without a lincense?......How many hours does a trainee work?....Can a trainee work during any time of day?......Can I maintain my regular job as a Trainee?...Ok thanks.....Looking forward to some responses

Philip Nicastro

Betty Roberson is offline *
    Private Investigator Forum Member

2007 to 2008 Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    I have not received any information on Connecticut P.I's are there any?
    I am any the testing stage. I'm hoping to be mailing out my test soon.
    I would like information on CT trainees.
    How were you able to get started.

Betty Roberson

Steve, After working under someone for 3 years is there another test to take in the state of MA to become licensed ?

Denise Garceau is offline Licensed Private Investigator
    Agency Owner

Private Investigator Union Member
    Here is what the MA and FL PI Licenses look like. I blanked out personal info.

MA PIL comes from the State Police
    http://home.comcast.net/~ms_iron/ima...te_license.jpg

FL PIL comes from the AG dept.
    http://home.comcast.net/~ms_iron/ima...te_license.jpg

Hello, My name is Georgios Liakouras a new member of IPIU.
    I have some questions and I will appreciate if someone can give me an answer.
    1) As a Trainee can I select more than one case to be trained?.
    2) As a Trainee I will work full-time or part-time?.
    3) Can I work for a Lawyer as a Trainee?.
    4) As a Trainee what can I earn per hour?.
    5) The person or agency that will provide me the training can hire me also?.
    6) As a Trainee can I maintain my regular job?. THANK YOU TO ALL MEMBERS!.

Legal Photo

Dear Sir,

I recently called the state police about Takeing legal photo for private citzens. Such as damage to cars and homes or accident scense I was told that you need a PI license is this
    true

David Neely

Quote Originally Posted by David Neely
    Dear Sir,

I recently called the state police about Takeing legal photo for private citzens. Such as damage to cars and homes or accident scense I was told that you need a PI license is this
    true

David Neely
    Yes you must work for someone else for three years befoere you are eligible to get a license in mass.......It is not that easy to become one in Massachusetts.....

No All i want to do is take pictures . Like going into and apartment to take picutre of damage that was caused after a person has moved out. So that the landlord would have documentation or of dmage to a car and thing like that. For documention only !! I was told by a police officer that I needed to be a PI. Can anyone ADIVSE MA !!

Interesting question David. I was a little surprised to hear that the state police told you that you need to be a private investigator to take pictures for documentation purposes!?!? What's up with that? I guess that would mean that everyone in massachusetts would need to hire a private investigator to take pictures at the next family reunion. After all, those pictures are for documenting who was at the reunion. I realize I am being sarcastic on this and as I said this is an interesting question, but I don't see how taking pictures of someones private property, by the owner's request, requires anything more than a camera. Even if the owner takes the tenants to court to try to get money from them for repairs, the origin of the pictures is irrelavent. The owner could just as easily take the pictures themselves and bring them to court as proof of the damage and they are not a licensed investigator. I mean if this is a onetime thing what is the problem? Now if you were to do this continuously as a business, then I would think that you would need to check on a business license. I checked the mass.gov website and didn't find anything under the license requirements that mentioned photography. It did mention, private detectives, detective agencies, home inspectors and appraisers. But you are not appraising, inspecting or investigating or asking questions of anyone in regards to damage. You are just taking pictures. I looked in my phonebook and saw about 20 photographers advertising their services. I would call a local photographer and asked if they have a license. If they don't I would take all the pictures you want. I too am interested in some other opinions. Good luck to all.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Steven D Galloway
    In the State of Massachusetts where I reside, it will take 3 years working under the license of a P.I. for me to become license.

Steve G.
    Dear Steven:

How do i get started?

Hello Steven,

I am currently working as the Operations Manager for Biogen Idec Global Security through Allied-Barton Security Services. I was wondering where I would go or what I should do to get started in this industry. Im new to the idea but very interested. Im just not quite sure where to start.

How to get started?

I have very little knowledge of what exactly i would need to do to go and get into some sort of training program. I also am worried that my age may limit me to my true potiental. As I am only 20 years of age, I dont have to much expierence in many legal matters or knowledge of the legalities to which being a P.I. is responsible for.

Even though I am young, I do feel that with my age, I would be able to do certain things or get to "certain" places with a little bit more ease because of my age. But with my that comes my biggest concern, who would hire a 20 (almost 21) year old?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS... I'm not trying to knock on anyone older then me

After reading this thread I still don;t really understand what it takes to be a PI in Massachusetts. Pretend I have no experience, no license of any kind and am just starting out. What steps would I take to be a PI in Massachusetts and are there things I can do along the way to make money and gain experience?
    Thank you

Re: P.I. Licensing in MA

Here is a good link for info about being a PI in Massachusetts. There's also a "Commonly Asked Questions/Answers" section which many may find useful. Hope it helps!

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopssubt...Unit&sid=Eeops
    Sincerely,
    Cynthia Brower
    Central Massachusetts

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:

Re: PI LICENSING: Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Elster
    After reading this thread I still don;t really understand what it takes to be a PI in Massachusetts. Pretend I have no experience, no license of any kind and am just starting out. What steps would I take to be a PI in Massachusetts and are there things I can do along the way to make money and gain experience?
    Thank you
    Robert, you do NOT need a state PI License to start working as a private investigator as long as your assignments fall within the exemptions listed in the above post of this topic.

If you want personal help in becoming a private investigator, just join the International Private Investigators Union and request a union license to get started! Call 800-548-1525 and choose Option 2 for free recorded details and the option to speak to a live union agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Joshua Sullivan
    I have very little knowledge of what exactly i would need to do to go and get into some sort of training program.

I also am worried that my age may limit me to my true potential. As I am only 20 years of age, I dont have to much experience in many legal matters or knowledge of the legalities to which being a P.I. is responsible for.

Even though I am young, I do feel that with my age, I would be able to do certain things or get to "certain" places with a little bit more ease because of my age. But with my that comes my biggest concern, who would hire a 20 (almost 21) year old?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS... I'm not trying to knock on anyone older then me
    Joshua, I suggest the same thing I wrote for Robert. Stop worrying and allow the union to walk you through. To join the International Private Investigators Union, you only need to be age 18 and over. When you request a union license, then IPIU will help you get cases as a 20-year old! Some cases you may not be able to do until you are age 21, but that won't stop you from starting out. Call the same number at 800-548-1525 and choose Option 2 for free recorded details and the option to speak to a live union agent.

David
    David Copeland
    Administrator
    Private Investigators Forums

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

Dear Steve, I'm a graduate of Thompson Education Direct,now called Penn Foster.I studied 23 books,took 23 exams in all aspects of private investigations.I also took the exam from IPIU.I got my diplomas from both going on 2 years now.Have done some work but not much.I have my photo credentials from IPIU,my question is if you have any work or know anyone in Mass. who's looking for help.My other question Steve,to obtain a license you must work 3 years under a license P.I. as of now with my diplomas i'm considered certified,is this correct? Last question Steve if i'm hired as a store detective and work there for 3 years can i obtain a license? Thank you very much, Gary Mercier ,mass. Steve could you please respond asap.Because i may take this job as a store detective. Thanks again
    Last edited by John G -; 01-08-2007 at 10:20 PM.

Mark Buda - is offline Licensed Private Investigator

Member of the Private Investigators Forum

MA Course at Boston U...

For those who would like to get some good educaiton on PI from a MA PI / former PD chief, which out the following program from Boston University:

http://professional.bu.edu/cpe/investigation.asp

It is by far the best training you can get for a person wanting to get their MA PI license.

mark

John Sanderson is offline Lifetime Member

Corporate Agency Member of:

I live in Ma, and I was wondering if i need a license if i'm getting my leads from this site, or if i'll have to get a job with a company until I obtain my license.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanderson View Post
    I live in Ma, and I was wondering if i need a license if i'm getting my leads from this site, or if i'll have to get a job with a company until I obtain my license.
    Read Post #2 above which lists all of the 12 unregulated exempted areas where you do not need a license.

Sponsored by:

Quote Originally Posted by George Dakkak View Post
    i have the application and the experience . I keep trying to get a hold of some one who can tell me how long it will take to get approved i do not know . can some one tell me ?
    The licensing is done by the State Police. The phone number on their web site is (508) 820-2300. Remember they are on Eastern Time (4 hours later than Pacific Time)

Let us know what you find out.

David
    David Copeland
    Administrator

START WITH TRUST

Cindy Bachewski-- is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:

Hello all,

I am also in Massachusetts and I am finding it extremely difficult to find any info on the requirements on a MA PI License. The majority of the links posted in this thread are now inactive since the website had been updated in 2011.

I have over 16 years experience in the Insurance industry, half of which were on the claims side and 4 of those as an actual claims adjuster. I am wondering if claims investigating would qualify one in terms of the "3 years of service".

If anyone has any updated links to share that would be fantastic as well.

Thanks so much!

Donna Reagan is offline Administrator

Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Bachewski View Post

I am also in Massachusetts and I am finding it extremely difficult to find any info on the requirements on a MA PI License. The majority of the links posted in this thread are now inactive since the website had been updated in 2011.
    Please read Post #2 above. I have replaced the old links with the new links for you.

I have over 16 years experience in the Insurance industry, half of which were on the claims side and 4 of those as an actual claims adjuster. I am wondering if claims investigating would qualify one in terms of the "3 years of service".
    If you can provide proof that you worked 6000 hours over a three year period as an insurance investigator (such as for fraud), then that experience should be enough.

Donna Reagan
    DHS Certified

START WITH TRUST

I would assume that a letter from the employer stating such would be proof enough. I will try to get that. Thank you for this information. I appreciate it.

Sponsored by:

I would assume that a letter from the employer stating such would be proof enough. I will try to get that. Thank you for this information. I appreciate it.
    If not, as an IPIU Member you could purchase a priority support ticket to have our legal team prepare the complete path to your persona licensing.

Hi David, Tanks for your input. What exactly does this support ticket involve? Is there a forum on this topic that I can look over?

Sponsored by:

Hi David, Tanks for your input. What exactly does this support ticket involve? Is there a forum on this topic that I can look over?
    The Priority Support is used by members who need extra help navigating the resources of any item. Generally, most of the resources are posted for members to explore themselves. But when there are personal nuances involved (such as your personal history of experience) that may not apply to all members, then a Paid Support option is generally the easiest direction to go.

Our legal team generally charges $99/hr for non members, but when they can assign a project for a union member to one of their professional colleagues, the member discount is only $39.99.

It starts with a retainer at the following link:

http://www.privateinvestigator.cc/pr...roducts_id=989

Once started, then a private confidential forum is open for you to begin the process.

Danielle Bosley is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

We are contemplating moving from NH to Mass- would the above: "NO LICENSED NEEDED IF YOU ARE WORKING: Investigations if engaged in earning livelihood by genealogical work and the compilation of family history while so engaged." cover me as not needing a license to locate adoptees, birth parents, missing persons, etc?

Michael Newman is offline Licensed Private Investigator
    Certified

Corporate Agency Associate Member of:

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle Bosley View Post
    We are contemplating moving from NH to Mass- would the above: "NO LICENSED NEEDED IF YOU ARE WORKING: Investigations if engaged in earning livelihood by genealogical work and the compilation of family history while so engaged." cover me as not needing a license to locate adoptees, birth parents, missing persons, etc?
    There is no law in any state that prohibits you from locating anyone, as long as you use public records.

But if you plan on confronting a missing person from records that are not in the public domain, that may take a different strategy (in another topic).
    Michael Newman

Aren't the records that come back from places like IRB still public records?

I always find it tricky because most states stipulate that you must be a licensed PI to find missing persons.

Eric S Neal is offline *
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle Bosley View Post
    I always find it tricky because most states stipulate that you must be a licensed PI to find missing persons.
    I don't yet know enough about the private investigation laws in MA (I live in my and work in NH), but I do know that I don't need a license to investigate persons / companies owing money to my clients, other known as "skiptracing". I have a registered collection agency in NH (previously in MA) and never needed a license for that.

Meridith Kronenberg-Cummings is offline * Private Investigator Forum Member

I was under the assumption it was according to hours.

Sponsored by:

Quote Originally Posted by Meridith Kronenberg-Cummings View Post
    I was under the assumption it was according to hours.
    Generally, the number of experience hours dictates what the amount of years of experience is, based on an average work week of 8 hours/day times approximately 50 weeks a year = 2080 hours (approximately) for one year of experience.

David
    David Copeland
    Administrator

START WITH TRUST