Thread: PI LICENSING: Louisiana

PI LICENSING: Louisiana

From the state:
    NO LICENSE NEEDED, IF WORKING FOR THE FOLLOWING::

(i) Insurer employees or agents and insurance adjusters or claims agents who make appraisals for the monetary value or settlement of damages or monetary value or settlement of personal injuries.

(ii) An officer or employee of the United States, this state, or any political subdivision of either while such officer or employee is engaged in the performance of his official duties within the course and scope of his employment with the United States, this state, or any political subdivision.

(iii) A person engaged exclusively in the business of obtaining and furnishing information as to the financial rating or credit worthiness of persons.

(iv) An attorney at law licensed to practice in this state and his employees.

(v) Undercover agents working with the United States, this state, or any political subdivision while engaged in the performance of their official duties.

(vi) A person primarily engaged in the business of furnishing confidential information for the purposes of a consumer reporting agency, as defined by the Federal Fair Credit Reporting Act, 15 U.S.C. 1681 et seq.

(vii) A person licensed by the Louisiana State Board of Private Security Examiners only when investigating at his place of employment during the performance of his duties pursuant to R.S. 37:3272(18).

(viii) A person or corporation which employs persons who do private investigative work in connection with the affairs of such employer exclusively and who have an employer - employee relationship with such employer. Neither such persons or corporations nor their employees shall be required to register or be licensed under this Chapter.

(ix) A person engaged as a professional employment screening consultant conducting face to face interview with an applicant or candidate for employment.

(x) A certified public accountant licensed to practice in this state and his employees.

TO OBTAIN A LICENSE TO SOLICIT FOR YOUR OWN CLIENTS:

LA. R.S. 37:3507: QUALIFICATIONS OF LICENSEES

Is of legal age (18).

Is a citizen of the United States or a resident alien holding a proper documentation to work in the United States.

Has not been convicted in any jurisdiction of any felony or of crime involving moral turpitude.

Has not been declared by any court of competent jurisdiction to be incompetent by reason of mental defect or disease which has not been restored.

Is not a practicing alcoholic or drug addict.

If a corporation, shall be incorporated under the laws of this state or shall be duly qualified to do business within this state with a valid certificate of authority issued by the Secretary of State, and shall have an agent for service of process designated as required by law.

If, in the discretion of the Board, the applicant provides inadequate information to allow the Board to ascertain whether the applicant satisfied the qualifications for licensure, the applicant shall be required to provide additional information for the purpose of the application, or may be required to present himself/herself for an interview for this purpose.

"Private investigation agency license" issued to any person or entity, as defined in RS 37:3503 (8), where the individual seeking license or the partner of the partnership seeking licensure or the principle corporate officer of the corporation seeking license:

(i) has at least three (3) years experience within the last ten (10) years either working as a private investigator or in an investigative capacity and

(ii) satisfies all other requirements for licensing.

LICENSE EXAMINATION; CONTENT. TRAINING CLASS REQUIRED:

All applicants shall attend and successfully complete a Board approved, 40 - hour Basic Private Investigation Prepatory course.

Exemptions are:

a. Any applicant who was a commissioned law enforcement officer that has attended and has a valid certificate from a Law Enforcement Training Center accredited by the States Council on Police Officer Standard and Training. The applicant must submit the P.O.S.T. approved certificate of completion.

b. Any applicant who was a Federal Agent of any U.S. Government Agency. The applicant must submit verification documents.

All applicants shall take a Board administered examination and successfully pass with a 75% score. Applicants may retake the examination after 30 days. Retake fee is $25.00

HOME PAGE:

www.lsbpie.com/

Verify a license: www.lsbpie.com/

Could someone please help me on this.....

I was wondering if someone could explain this a little further for me. I had wanted to take the PI course (required by the state) but was told that I had to be working for a PI company and be sponsered by them to take the state exam after the course.

Problem is, I cannot seem to find anyone in my area to let me work with them even for free.

My goal is to start my own agency but I do not know if I can do that without the three years of working for a PI company. When I called the State the person I talked to didn't seem very knowledgable in this area.

I requested information in the mail but practically need a Lawyer to understand them. If anyone is clear about what it takes to start your own agency in the State of Louisiana please let me know.

Your time is greatly appreciated,
    Kelly McDonald
    "If you do not stand for something, you will fall for anything"

hi according to louisiana laws you need to be working for an agency for three or more years to starty your own company
    Mr. Donald Allen Sr.

hi kelly i am in the process of looking for someone or agency to sponser me here in la and if i can maby i can get them to help you too , i like to look out for my home town people , i know it's hard starting out i found that out before i came to ipiu
    , so if i can help you i will good luck in your search . if possible what part of La. are you in
    i'am located in new orleans
    Mr. Donald Allen Sr.

Re: Could someone please help me on this.....

Originally posted by Kelly McDonald
    My goal is to start my own agency ....
    IPIU members have free personal help in the following Level 4 Forum:

Obtaining Your Private Investigator License or Agency License!
    Technical Support
    Administrator

Wink La: Licensing

Louisiana State Board OF Private Investigator Examiners
    2051 Silverside Drive, suite 190
    Baton Rouge, La 70808
    phone#225-763-3556
    fax# 225-763-3536
    web. www.isbpie.com
    E-mail: isbpie@intersurf.com

This is the correct numbers for louisiana, Barbara, badge#5639

Barbara,

There is a correction to the web address above... the correct address is:

www.lsbpie.com

Sure hope this helps.
    Susan Fernandez

Badge# 7042
    Self accomplishments are the best. [/size][/b]

Ms. McDonald and Mr. Allen,

I am a native too. How did the search go and did you have any success? As a trainee all the info I can obtain is greatly appreciated. I want to start my own company and hire qualified PI's to help get it started and do business. If you would like to we could email each other and see where to go from here.
    Susan Fernandez

Badge# 7042
    Self accomplishments are the best. [/size][/b]

I live in the Slidell area and would be willing to to work for free. Well, I take that back, I would be willing to work for free if someone would mentor me. I am available after 3 PM and on weekends after my day job.

You all need to start looking at the Job web sites and the Sunday Times Picayune
    news paper for possible jobs, they are always in the paper and sites. Need any
    further info please e-mail me.

Licensed Louisiana P.I. past member of the IPIU in June 2001 to June 2002.
    September 2004 to September 2005.

Thank You,

Kyle Morton

To add to my previous statement; some of these National Companies will pay for you
    to take your 40 Hour Basic Louisiana Course to get started. There is a catch in
    Louisiana once you take that course and request the application to become licensed,
    you need an Agency to sponsors you. In actually you need to be hired, then that
    form get's filled out and submitted. Take the course on your own so you have
    something to offer these P.I Agency's.

What qualifications do you bring to the table. All you need is that one chance to
    get you started.

Licensed Louisaina P.I.

Kyle E. Morton

P.S. Any further ?'s e-mail me!!

Thank You,

Kyle Morton

R Renee Brown is offline Lifetime Corporation Member

Corporate Agency Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

PI Assistant

Hello Gang,

Since I'm overseas I see the rule has not change for the course since 2000. But you can do the same or most of the work with an PI, I would go differene PI asked them to should me the ropes and was glad for the assists. I also went to bail bondmen and help as a assist and got 10 to 12%.

I learned a lot. undefined

Thanks for all the good info. The information will make the process of working in the state less frustrating.

What ya'll are saying is that in order for me to obtain my liscense I have to be working for a PI company and they have to sponsor me?
    If that is so I don't think I will make it here. I am 19 and no one wants someone that young.

R Renee Brown is offline Lifetime Corporation Member

Corporate Agency Member of:

Talking Sponsors

Melanie,

If you are a strong minded person study for your bail bondman test and that will get some sponsors.

In Louisiana it was 250.00 or 300.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Fernandez
    Barbara,

There is a correction to the web address above... the correct address is:

www.lsbpie.com

Sure hope this helps.
    Susan the website is two-fold it also state the requirements for businesses and the requirements for those of us working for another agency. I'm a IPIU Trainee and according to the info obtained on the site, I also need to apply for licensing even if I work for another agency, with less than three years experience.

Hello,

I live in Baton Rouge and passed the Louisiana Private Investigator's Examination in 1998. I was wondering if I needed to take courses through the state on an annual basis in order to keep it's validity. Also, can't find a school around BR that offers any. It seems that LSU no longer offers the courses or the test. Also, will take your advice, Mr. Morton, and look in the Sunday BR Advocate and look for some sponsors. :-)

As for the bail bondsman test, will talk to LSBPIE and see if they can shed some light as to where to take it.

Thanks.

Cool Fyi

Dear, Randall Zwez

Yes, you have to take 8 hours of continuing education courses each year to be able to re-new your State license. You can look on the LSBPIE website or have them mail you or e-mail you the schedule.

As for the bail bondsman test the State Board does not have anything to do with that as well as Fugitive Recovery.

I will e-mail you with the bail bondsman and Fugitive Recovery info.

Also look in your internet job sites under Investigator for jobs, just don't put Baton Rouge. Use New Orleans, Lafayatte, Lake Charles etc......

Thank you, Good Luck

Active Investigator since 2001 Morton and loving every minute of it.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the information, Mr. Morton. It will help me a lot in order to move forward in the Private Investigator business.

Flora Porter is offline * Certified SPI
    Distinguished Member of Private Investigators Forum

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly Bridges
    Susan the website is two-fold it also state the requirements for businesses and the requirements for those of us working for another agency. I'm a IPIU Trainee and according to the info obtained on the site, I also need to apply for licensing even if I work for another agency, with less than three years experience.
    Hi Kim,

This is good to know info!

PI FPorter
    Badge#10464

Hugh Brown Jr is offline Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigator Forum Member Corporate Agency Owner

Professional Member of:
    Do anyone know the website for VA?

Donna Reagan is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Goodwyn
    Do anyone know the website for VA?

Hugh, you posted this question in the Louisanna Topic. To locate Virgina, just return to this form and scroll down to the topic titled VA.

Hugh Brown Jr is offline Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigator Forum Member Corporate Agency Owner

Professional Member of:
    Thanks Donna.

I Live In Louisiana Also.i Was Wondering,even Though I Will Have An Associates . Degree In A Few Months In Criminal Justice,will I Still Have To Take All These Classes And Get Sponsored To Get My Own Business Going?

Dear, Ms. Katherine Bennett

What is a Associates degree in Criminal Justice, never heard of that.

Yes, you still have to take the LSBPIE 40 hour course if you have any intentions on becoming a Licensed LA P.I. You also have to have 3 years experience either police, military, or P.I. before you apply for your own P.I. business license.

Go online to www.lsbpie.com Louisiana State Board of Private Investigators and read information and call the board up the telephone # is there.

Hope this helps

Kyle

sorry they bleeped out my words.i abbreviated associates degree. ty for information.

Cool Lpi

Dear, Ms. Katherine Bennett

What do you plan on doing with that degree? There are books @ your local Barnes & Noble, Borders, etc..... about Criminal Justice Degree Jobs.

Kyle

Hello all,

In reading the qualifications, i did not see a residency requirement.
    Can someone let me know, i am not far from the LA/MS border.
    One other point, i did notice i am allowed to cross into LA for an onging investigation. Is that correct?
    Any help on this would be appreciated as i learn the ropes, i hope to help others along the way.

Steven Lofing

Cool LPI K. Morton

Steve Lofing,

The Louisiana State Board of Private Investigator Examiners has entered into Limited Reciprocity agreements with nine states and Full Reciprocity with two states.

The states that have signed Limited Reciprocity are:
    Arkansas
    California
    Florida
    Georgia
    North Carolina
    Oklahoma
    Oregon
    Tennessee
    Virginia
    The states that have signed Full Reciprocity are:
    Arkansas
    Oklahoma
    There are seven states that do not have a private investigator licensing law. They are:
    Missouri
    South Dakota
    Wyoming
    Colorado
    Mississippi
    Alabama
    Idaho
    This means that a Louisiana licensed private investigator can now follow cases that originated in Louisiana to 16 states and can easily be licensed in two other states.

If you have questions about Reciprocity, please call the Louisiana State Board of Private Investigators.
    1-800-299-9696 225-763-3556 Fax 225-763-3536

info@lsbpie.com

I hope this helps, Kyle

Cool LPI K> Morton

Steve Lofing,

There is no residency requirement Steve just follow the previous e-mail.

Thanks Kyle,

I will call them about the residency requirements.
    That's what i love about this place , anything we ask is answered and if we know something and answer it is greatly appreciated.
    Bravo for IPIU!!

Steven Lofing

well i wanted to start my own p.i. business,probably just like all the rest of us,but after reading all that i have to go through to get my p.i. license and business licenses.im not sure anymore what im gonna do.im sort of think maybe in the area of prison guard for awhile to get experience.

You have to apprentice under another private investigator(s) that has their own business, for three years in order to be eligible to create your own P.I. business in Louisiana. Check with LSBPIE for more details.

I did some research on LA PI requirements.

It will take a rookie at least 4 years to start there own agency business. Here are the steps:
    1. Find a PI company that will sponser you and have them fill out a Letter of intent to hire.

2. Submit an application to LA Board of PI

3. Once approved you can start work as an apprentice for that company. (But only for 1 year)

4. Take the PI course during that one year. NOTE: You cannot reapply at the end of that year to continue as an apprentice, you must apply to become an actual investigator.

5. Apply again after you take the (at the end of that first year) to become an actual investigator.

6. Once approved you must work for a minimum of 3 years before you can open your own doors.

It is not cheap. I believe the application fee to become an appentice is approx $150. The PI Course is approx $275 or more now. But if you can get it done, it will pay off in the long run.

Kevan Pierce

Jason McLaughlin is offline Licensed Private Investigator

Member of the Private Investigators Forum

Re: Lousiana: Licensed PI's get state badge, unlicensed PI's have some restrictions.

Unless you are a licenced PI in Louisiana by LSBPIE you should not be doing ANY PI work.

Moderator Edit: (There are some cases where a PI License is not required)

Jason McLaughlin is offline Licensed Private Investigator

Member of the Private Investigators Forum

Re: PI LICENSING: Louisiana

You can take the course and the test.
    Then find a company to sponsor you.
    You need to actually work on cases for three years, not just sit on your licence.
    If you want to have your own business the board will review your experience for the three years and rule acordinly.

Re: Lousiana: Licensed PI's get state badge, unlicensed PI's have some restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason McLaughlin View Post
    Unless you are a licenced PI in Louisiana by LSBPIE you should not be doing ANY PI work.
    This is not entirely correct:
    from www.lsbpie.com

PRIVATE INVESTIGATORS LAW

(La. R.S. 37:3500-3525)

3503. Definitions

8) (a) "Private investigator" or "private detective" means any person who holds out to the general public and engages in the business of furnishing or who accepts employment to furnish information or who agrees to make or makes an investigation for the purpose of obtaining information with reference to the following:

(i) Crimes or wrongs committed.

(ii) Identity, habits, conduct, business, occupations, honesty, integrity, credibility, knowledge, trustworthiness, efficiency, loyalty, activity, movement, whereabouts, affiliations, associations, transactions, acts, reputation, or character of any person.

(iii) The location, disposition, or recovery of stolen property.

(iv) The cause or responsibility for fires, libels, losses, accidents, damages, or injuries to persons or to properties. However, scientific research laboratories, technical experts, and licensed engineers shall not be included in this definition.

(v) Securing evidence to be used before any court, board, officer, or investigative committee.

(b) This definition shall not include any of the following:

(i) Insurer employees or agents and insurance adjusters or claims agents who make appraisals for the monetary value or settlement of damages or monetary value or settlement of personal injuries.

(ii) An officer or employee of the United States, this state, or any political subdivision of either while such officer or employee is engaged in the performance of his official duties within the course and scope of his employment with the United States, this state, or any political subdivision.

(iii) A person engaged exclusively in the business of obtaining and furnishing information as to the financial rating or credit worthiness of persons.

(iv) An attorney at law licensed to practice in this state and his employees.

(v) Undercover agents working with the United States, this state, or any political subdivision while engaged in the performance of their official duties.

(vi) A person primarily engaged in the business of furnishing confidential information for the purposes of a consumer reporting agency, as defined by the Federal Fair Credit Reporting Act, 15 U.S.C. 1681 et seq.

(vii) A person licensed by the Louisiana State Board of Private Security Examiners only when investigating at his place of employment during the performance of his duties pursuant to R.S. 37:3272(18).

(viii) A person or corporation which employs persons who do private investigative work in connection with the affairs of such employer exclusively and who have an employer - employee relationship with such employer. Neither such persons or corporations nor their employees shall be required to register or be licensed under this Chapter.

(ix) A person engaged as a professional employment screening consultant conducting face to face interview with an applicant or candidate for employment.

(x) A certified public accountant licensed to practice in this state and his employees.

Re: PI LICENSING: Louisiana

What if you are a international private investigator do you still do everything to become a PI in Louisiana