Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PI LICENSING: Pennsylvania

State Licensing Information:

NO PI LICENSE NEEDED
    If you fall into the following Categories:
    1. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR Private Investigator or any person regularly employed as special agent, detective or investigator exclusively by one employer in connection with the affairs of that employer only

2. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR Private Investigator employe of any such company while performing any investigatory activities engaged in by his employer

3. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR Private Investigators in the employment of credit bureaus

4. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR Private Investigators employed by insurance companies to investigate the personal habits and financial responsibility of applicants for insurance, indemnity bonds, or commercial credit,

5. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR Private Investigators employed by insurance companies to investigate claimants under insurance policies,

6. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR Private Investigates or any person, partnership, association, or corporation or any bureau or agency, whose business is exclusively the furnishing of information as to the business and financial standing and credit responsibility of persons, partnerships, associations, or corporations;

7. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR Private Investigators whose corporation is duly authorized by the Commonwealth to operate a fire alarm protection business,

8. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR Private Investigators or any person while engaged in the business of adjuster for an insurance company,

9. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR Private Investigators or any charitable or philanthropic society or association duly incorporated under the laws of the Commonwealth and which is organized and maintained for the public good and not for private profit

10. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR Private Investigator employed by an attorney: nor shall anything in this act contained be construed to affect in any way attorneys or counselors at law in the regular practice of their profession, but such exemption shall not enure to the benefit of any employe or representative of such attorney or counselor at law who is not employed solely, exclusively and regularly by such attorney or counselor at law

11. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR Private Investigators or persons in the exclusive employment of common carriers subject to regulation by the interstate commerce commission or the Public Utility Commission of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, nor any telephone, telegraph or other telecommunications company subject to regulation by the Federal Communications Commission or the Public Utility Commission of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

12. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR Private Investigators who are a detective officer or employee belonging to the Pennsylvania State Police, or to the police force of any county, city, borough, township, or incorporated town, or any employe of such State Police, or such police force, appointed or elected by due authority of law, while engaged in the performance of their official duties;

FURTHER: "Nothing in this act (PI Licensing Statutes) shall prohibit the right of any person to become affiliated with, or to continue as a member of, any union, association, society, or organization of his own choosing."

Source:Pennsylvania Private Detective Exemptions

IF YOU WANT A PI LICENSE:

Private Detective Act of 1953, as amended:

"Every such applicant, if he be a person in the case of a partnership, association, or corporation, at lease one member of such partnership, association, or corporation, has been regularly employed as a detective, or shall have been a member of the U.S. government investigative service, a sheriff, or member of a city police department of a rank or grade higher than that of patrolman, for the period of not less than three years.

"The application/petition shall state the full name, age, residence, present and previous occupations, of each person or individual; citizen of U.S.; address of principal place of business and any branch office, bureau, agency, sub-agency; affidavits signed by at least five (5) reputable citizens attesting to the good character of applicant; if the applicant is a corporation, the amount of the corporation's outstanding paid up capital stock and whether paid in cash or property and if in property, the nature of the same, and accompanied by a certified copy its certificate of incorporation; two (2) photographs of each individual and corporate officer (passport size); two (2) fingerprint cards for each individual/corporate officer; Corporate Bond in the sum of $10,000 executed to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania; Preliminary and Final Order of Court for Judge to sign.
    1. Present Original Application/Petition to the Court of Common Pleas Motions Judge for hearing date.
    2. Copy of Application and Order with hearing date set for District Attorney's Detective Bureau and one (1) set of fingerprints.
    3. Original Application and Order with hearing date set with fingerprint cards and two (2) passport size photos to be filed with Clerk of Courts office.
    4. Bond in the sum of $10,000 to be filed in the Clerk of Courts office.
    5. After approval of license, fee of $205 for individual, $305 for corporation, to be received by the Clerk of Courts office.

Source:[URL=http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/LI/US/PDF/1953/0/0361..PDF[/URL]

http://www2.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/L...B0340P2738.pdf

Re: State Law In Pa

Originally posted by R. T. CONNER
    What are the licensing requirements for the state of PA
    Thank you,
    R.T.CONNER
    Here are the licensing requirements for Pennsylvania.

• Minimum age: 25
    • Experience Required: 3 years with a P.I. Agency
    • Courses Required: None

"Within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, there is no central licensing agency. This function is performed by the Clerk of Courts of Common Pleas in each of the sixty-seven (67) counties in the Commonwealth. The application process must be initiated through the county in which you intend to headquarter your operation.

In the Event that you have any further questions concerning the Private Detective Act, do no hesitate to contact this office by corresponding to this address or telephone Trooper Dennis Plant at (717) 783-5592".

M.I. Simmers, Captain
    Director, Records and
    Identification Division

I hope you find this information helpful.

Question Question on Pennsylvania Licensing

HELP

I went to my county D.A.'s office then they directed me to an attorney that they work with. I asked the attorney if I would be allowed to work as a Private Investigator for an agency and he said yes but I would be working for the agency and I couldn't advertise myself as a Private Investigator. Keep in mind I have no background in law enforcement. Next I asked how I could go about getting my license and he said without 3 years in law enforcement I wouldn't be able to. Next I asked if I would be able to get it by working 3 years for an agency and he said flat out "No".

I'm a little confused I've been reading what's in the forums and I read our Pennsylvania laws for Private investigators. I was just wondering what is correct?

Will I be able to use the experience I get through IPIU to get my own license after 3 years. Or will I forever have to work for an agency since I was never in law enforcement?

I look forward to your response.

Thanks
    Richard L. Johnson
    Pennsylvania - USA

Badge 5080

Richard,

Don't take this as a definite answer, but looking through the PA licensing info, I found this:

" Every such applicant shall establish, to the satisfaction of the court of quarter sessions and by at least two duly acknowledged certificates, that such applicant, if he be a person, or, in the case of a partnership, association, or corporation, at least one member of such partnership, association, or corporation, has been regularly employed as a detective, or sheriff, a member of the Pennsylvania State Police, or a member of a city police department of a rank or grade higher than that of patrolman, for a period of not less than three years. "
    Italics and underline added for emphasis

This seems to imply that you can attain the three years by working as a detective. This would also seem to agree with most other states statutes that I have reviewed.

Again, This is not a legally binding answer, but seems plain enough.

I'm sure Legal will be by with a more thourough reply.

Thanks you very much.

Thanks for the quick response. I guess I'll also know more when I get notified by different agents.

Keep your fingers crossed for me!
    Richard L. Johnson
    Pennsylvania - USA

Badge 5080

Re: Question on Pennsylvania Licensing

Originally posted by Richard Johnson
    I asked if I would be able to get it by working 3 years for an agency and he said flat out "No".

I'm a little confused .
    You should be confused if you're taking his advice seriously.

That was from attorney? I'm glad he's not on my list of referrals! He just does not know the law!

Read the above post that is quoted from the statutes. After being employed as a private investigator for three years of hours, you get your experience!

(This sounds like the guy has cops who are friends that are PI's, and they feel competition from you)

Re: Re: Question on Pennsylvania Licensing

Mary,

Thank you it's nice to know someone feels the same as me. To be honest I was very disappointed, but then that quick I decided to wait until I checked here on the Forum to see what others had to say.

I really want this to work out for me so to hear that almost brought me down. But I should have guessed.

I know I have to get LOTS of training before I even think about getting my license, but it's nice to know it's a reachable goal.

thank you again!

Originally posted by Mary Lynn Warner

You should be confused if you're taking his advice seriously.

That was from attorney? I'm glad he's not on my list of referrals! He just does not know the law!

Read the above post that is quoted from the statutes. After being employed as a private investigator for three years of hours, you get your experience!

(This sounds like the guy has cops who are friends that are PI's, and they feel competition from you)
    Richard L. Johnson
    Pennsylvania - USA

Badge 5080

Re: Re: Re: Question on Pennsylvania Licensing

Originally posted by Richard Johnson
    I really want this to work out for me so to hear that almost brought me down. But I should have guessed.
    Richard,

Almost every day you will run into a couple of people who will tell you, you can't do something.

That's where family comes in to support, There are over 3500 bothers and sisters here that will tell you, you CAN do it.

GO FOR IT!!

Helpful

I just wanted to say thank you, to all of you for your help, in the licensing law form. We have had many calls lately concerning this topic. The information that you have all looked into to answer these questions is greatly appropriated.

Mary Skates

PI Licensing in Pa.

I did contact the Pa. Association for Licensed Investigators. They are not in Harrisburg, Pa. any more. Their new phone number is 1-610-687-2999 in Gladwayne, Pa. The President is Jim Carino. He told me to contact my county clerk office which I did. I recieved a package that is tedious and cumbersome with several fees. Mr. Carino did stated that a person needs 3 yrs. of law enforcement experience and 5 character references. Does my 11 yrs. as a Juvenile Probation Officer count? Also, I am confused about the fingerprinting process. I am already on file with IPIU. Why do I need to pay for additional fingerprints?

Re: PA Law

Originally posted by Melanie Downey
    if I'm working for a company to get my 3 years experience, am I responsible for the bond or is it the company I work for?
    Probaby the company - which they will inform you at the time.

Donna Reagan is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified

Re: military background

Originally posted by Ryan Lynn
    i was in the army for 5 years as an infantryman does that count against the 3 year rule.
    Not unless you were Military Police.

For newcomers, please click here:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=5008

Donna Reagan
    Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

How can you get started in an agency in order to get the three years that is required to become a PI? What training takes place initially? I have read the above comments and they seem to contradict. Do you actually need a state license to practice? Sorry, it's all new to me and I just want to make sure I am taking the right steps. Thanks!

Crystal

PI LICENSING: Pennsylvania

Would doing PI assignments for ipiu such as Anti-Piracy
    assignments for three years & my military police experience
    count as far as getting my Pa., pi license?

If one of the moderators would reply to this i would be ever so thankful.

Thanks
    Ted W Primm

B Ann Craig - is offline Administrative Forum Trainer

Sr. Certified Distinguished Member:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted W Primm
    Would doing PI assignments for ipiu such as Anti-Piracy
    assignments for three years & my military police experience
    count as far as getting my Pa., pi license?

If one of the moderators would reply to this i would be ever so thankful.

Thanks
    Ted W Primm
    Ted, yes, your Military Police experience would count, plus any investigative hours of experence through IPIU referrals would count (depending on the agency).

Read the link Donna Reagan posted in her reply above for the Military Police. Also, read the two posts above by Mary Lynn Warner. IPIU will keep track of your hours of work.

The hours has to add up to three years. I don't know how many hours, or years you were a Military Police? Both will count. I hope this will help. Good luck in all you do.

Have a wonderful week. Take care.

Out of State licensing??

Does anyone know a short answer to this question: I am relocating to the tri-state area (NY/NJ/CT), but will be living very close to the PA border. Do the individual states require a licensee to be a resident of that particular state? My goal will be to get licenses for NY, NJ & PA.

Wow, There are some wonderful post here. I learned alot of information. I guess that is the point. I hope I made the right decision considering what I am reading about obtaining a license in pennsylvania.

I found this to be some great information for the state of Pennsylvania. Thank you for sharing.

Yes thank you all for your questions and answers as I have just learned awhole lot just reading this forum and look foward to getting started on my three years of experience.

PI LICENSING: Pennsylvania

Hi,
    Thanks for that information on the requirements if this is all true then can i use IPIU for my reference credentials here in Pennsylvania?,
    Thanks
    Agent Ted W Primm
    Last edited by Ted W Primm; 07-13-2004 at 09:17 PM. Reason: There was a line typed that i did not need.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted W Primm
    can i use IPIU for my reference credentials here in Pennsylvania?
    Yes and no. Your credentials are not a state license, but they can be used as a professional tool when applying to unregulated companies performing investigations. Regulated companies would either require you to have a state license, or they could allow you to work under their agency license.

But before you go applying, click here for further instructions:

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6432

And here:

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8393

Post PA Law

I just found this and thought others may find it interesting. It is a house bill from Feb. 2004 regarding PI licensing.
    House Bill # 2335

THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF PENNSYLVANIA House Bill # 2335

REFERRED TO COMMITTEE ON JUDICIARY, FEBRUARY 3, 2004 AN ACT

Amending Titles 18 (Crimes and Offenses) and 22 (Detectives and

Private Police) of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes,

adding the offense of impersonating private detective;

codifying the Private Detective Act of 1953; and making a

repeal related to that codification.
    View The Entire Bill

Bonnie

David Copeland is offline Administrator

Sponsored by:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Ryan
    I just found this and thought others may find it interesting. It is a house bill from Feb. 2004 regarding PI licensing.
    House Bill # 2335

THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF PENNSYLVANIA House Bill # 2335

REFERRED TO COMMITTEE ON JUDICIARY, FEBRUARY 3, 2004 AN ACT

Amending Titles 18 (Crimes and Offenses) and 22 (Detectives and

Private Police) of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes,

adding the offense of impersonating private detective;

codifying the Private Detective Act of 1953; and making a

repeal related to that codification.
    View The Entire Bill

Bonnie
    Although this item states the House has only referred their bill to the committee, it has not become law. When it does become law, their website will include the amendment.

The proposed bill does not affect the licensing requirements or the exemptions and provisions of unregulated private investigations. It only addresses a diliberate attempt to impersonate a licensed PI.

PI said flat out "NO"

I checked w/ one Pgh, PA agency, and the owner told me, "The DA would not let me hire you to do an investigation." I am untrained and new to the field.

Lance Seldin

(On Leave of Absence)

Distinguished Member:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance Seldin
    I checked w/ one Pgh, PA agency, and the owner told me, "The DA would not let me hire you to do an investigation." I am untrained and new to the field.

Lance Seldin

Lance,

Please ask this question by posting it in your Introduction Topic where the trainers can better direct your inquiry to the existing titled topics that answer your question.

If you have not done so yet, please open an intro topic here:
    Forum Members Intro Lounge

Thank you for your support.
    Last edited by M Michelle Le Fevre--; 08-19-2004 at 11:42 AM.

David Copeland is offline Administrator

Sponsored by:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance Seldin
    I checked w/ one Pgh, PA agency, and the owner told me, "The DA would not let me hire you to do an investigation."
    1) The PI agency owner you spoke to did not give you all of the facts of the licensing laws.

2) The PI Agency owner's response may be typical because he/she views you as untrained and unqualified. IPIU does not endorse nor recommend going knocking on doors to get hired without experience or training. IPIU offers both before you go knocking on doors. And, IPIU will also provide you with doors that are open and not closed.

3) The PI Agency owner's statement about his local DA has nothing to do with the owner's ability to hire you within the licensing laws. I suspect he/she probably made that statement to you as a tactic to get you out the door (or off the phone).

Hi ... I'm new the fourm and to the IPIU but I've noticed several consistancies between this and other career paths. Remember that it is human nature for others to want you to quit or fail, that way you never provide them with competition. The thing you need to do is keep working toward your goals. If you persist you will succeed.

I'm a member in training and i'm just going around and reading stuff and when i read when you said that here are 3500 men and woman who are family that felt good. I'm in the proccess of moving and haven't had much time to do what i need to do but when i get settled in little by little i will post and participate alot more plus i'm going to be a dad.

thanks Carl Violando

William Monteagudo

David Martz - is offline Licensed Private Investigator

Private Investigator Forum Member
    Hello Lance,
    I have to agree with Mr. Copeland on this issue. The PI's statement to you was his way of brushing you off as you had nothing to offer when you came to the table.
    PI Agency's do hire Training PI's. My company does but you must have some basic Training when you apply with us. IPIU provides you with the training you will need to get your foot in the door instead of the door slamming in your face. MY advise to you is get the training learn all you can knowledge is your best tool in this business, you will always be learning.

Regards,
    David

B Ann,
    I have been reading all these post on the Pennsylvania requirements and now know if one is not prior law enforcement, the requirement is 3 years of hours working with an agency. Could you clarify what is meant by "The hours has to add up to three years". My questions are, How many hours are considered for a year, the normal 2080 ? and is it reasonable to expect to get enough assignments to work 3 years and have enough hours?

Thanks - Steve

Good question Steven, I have been wondering, also, about the hours worked through IPIU Anti-Piracy and Integrity assignments.

Do the hours worked on these types of assignments become credited towards licensing in PA?

Pete.

Martin Betancourt- is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    I have been reading all Pennsylvania requirement for to be a Licensed Private Investigator, I am agree and I understand , but, what happen if I have not experience at all with any law enforcement agency and if I'm not US Citizen, the only thing I have is my Diploma in recognition of the successful completions of the program as Private Investigator at HARCOURT LEARNING DIRECT.
    My question is: If I am not have all of the requirements above, I'll never be a Professional Private Investigator.

Thanks,
    Martin from York, Pennsylvania

Phillip Torrence is offline Licensed Private Investigator
    Agency Owner
    Private Investigator Union Member
    Hey Guys
    I am lic PI in CA. with an agency,I now also reside in PA. I am also on a Federal Officer on a special project here in PA. TO you PA PI Agencies How can I open up and get PI lic here in Pa. I am doing Polygraph here in Pa and NJ,SO what must I do to get PA permit to do Investigations in the state of Pa. all advice would be helpful to those who are in business in Pa. Over 10 years as an Investigator and 10 as an Law enforcement officer in the state of NY. somebody talk to me.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Phillip I think I need you help.

Phillip Torrence is offline Licensed Private Investigator
    Agency Owner
    Private Investigator Union Member
    Hey Martin you can reach me at [email edited by Moderator: Forum Rules]
    If I can be of any help just e me.
    Last edited by Edward Taguba; 12-01-2004 at 12:03 PM.
    PHILLIP TORRENCE
    Licensed Private Investigator (CA# 20003)
    Serving California, New York, New Jersey, & Pennsylvania

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Christine Anderson
    Here are the licensing requirements for Pennsylvania.

• Minimum age: 25
    • Experience Required: 3 years with a P.I. Agency
    • Courses Required: None

PERFECT! Exactly the information I was looking for! I'm only 22 so this works pretty well (3 years experience, min. age 25)! I'm so excited!

OH, Also quick question and I know this is a long-shot BUT I've heard (and this may not even be true) that the FBI will take a 2 year degree in computer forensics because it is a specialty field (instead of the required 4 year). The computer forensics degree requires several law classes. Does any of this go against the 3 year rule? I know this is very unlikely but I figured I'd ask just in case.

Edward Taguba is offline Certified Distinguished Member
    Private Investigators Forums

Professional Member of:
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Torrence
    Hey Martin you can reach me at [email edited by Moderator: Forum Rules]
    If I can be of any help just e me.
    Mr. Torrence, I had to edit out your email address. Personal information can not be posted on our forum. This is for all the members protection. Please, do not post personal information on the forum, and read the forum rules link below. Thank you.

Click Here: Forum Rules Topic Link

Aloha,
    Ed

Hi, and sorry for this inconvenience.
    Make it and happen!

Carmen Acai is offline *** Certified

Sr. Moderator
    Certified Distinguished Member
    Private Investigators Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Betancourt, Martin
    I have been reading all Pennsylvania requirement for to be a Licensed Private Investigator, I am agree and I understand , but, what happen if I have not experience at all with any law enforcement agency and if I'm not US Citizen, the only thing I have is my Diploma in recognition of the successful completions of the program as Private Investigator at HARCOURT LEARNING DIRECT.
    My question is: If I am not have all of the requirements above, I'll never be a Professional Private Investigator.

Thanks,
    Martin from York, Pennsylvania
    Martin, please have a look at the links below. They answer your question:

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2219

Enjoy your reading an go for it!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast