NO PI LICENSE NEEDED
If you fall into the following Categories:
- NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR Private Investigator or any person regularly employed as special agent, detective or investigator exclusively by one employer in connection with the affairs of that employer only
- NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR Private Investigator employe of any such company while performing any investigatory activities engaged in by his employer
- NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR Private Investigators in the employment of credit bureaus
- NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR Private Investigators employed by insurance companies to investigate the personal habits and financial responsibility of applicants for insurance, indemnity bonds, or commercial credit,
- NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR Private Investigators employed by insurance companies to investigate claimants under insurance policies,
- NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR Private Investigates or any person, partnership, association, or corporation or any bureau or agency, whose business is exclusively the furnishing of information as to the business and financial standing and credit responsibility of persons, partnerships, associations, or corporations;
- NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR Private Investigators whose corporation is duly authorized by the Commonwealth to operate a fire alarm protection business,
- NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR Private Investigators or any person while engaged in the business of adjuster for an insurance company,
- NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR Private Investigators or any charitable or philanthropic society or association duly incorporated under the laws of the Commonwealth and which is organized and maintained for the public good and not for private profit
- NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR Private Investigator employed by an attorney: nor shall anything in this act contained be construed to affect in any way attorneys or counselors at law in the regular practice of their profession, but such exemption shall not enure to the benefit of any employe or representative of such attorney or counselor at law who is not employed solely, exclusively and regularly by such attorney or counselor at law
- NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR Private Investigators or persons in the exclusive employment of common carriers subject to regulation by the interstate commerce commission or the Public Utility Commission of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, nor any telephone, telegraph or other telecommunications company subject to regulation by the Federal Communications Commission or the Public Utility Commission of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR Private Investigators who are a detective officer or employee belonging to the Pennsylvania State Police, or to the police force of any county, city, borough, township, or incorporated town, or any employe of such State Police, or such police force, appointed or elected by due authority of law, while engaged in the performance of their official duties;
FURTHER: "Nothing in this act (PI Licensing Statutes) shall prohibit the right of any person to become affiliated with, or to continue as a member of, any union, association, society, or organization of his own choosing."
Source:Pennsylvania Private Detective Exemptions
IF YOU WANT A PI LICENSE:
Private Detective Act of 1953, as amended:
"Every such applicant, if he be a person in the case of a partnership, association, or corporation, at lease one member of such partnership, association, or corporation, has been regularly employed as a detective, or shall have been a member of the U.S. government investigative service, a sheriff, or member of a city police department of a rank or grade higher than that of patrolman, for the period of not less than three years.
"The application/petition shall state the full name, age, residence, present and previous occupations, of each person or individual; citizen of U.S.; address of principal place of business and any branch office, bureau, agency, sub-agency; affidavits signed by at least five (5) reputable citizens attesting to the good character of applicant; if the applicant is a corporation, the amount of the corporation's outstanding paid up capital stock and whether paid in cash or property and if in property, the nature of the same, and accompanied by a certified copy its certificate of incorporation; two (2) photographs of each individual and corporate officer (passport size); two (2) fingerprint cards for each individual/corporate officer; Corporate Bond in the sum of $10,000 executed to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania; Preliminary and Final Order of Court for Judge to sign.
- Present Original Application/Petition to the Court of Common Pleas Motions Judge for hearing date.
- Copy of Application and Order with hearing date set for District Attorney's Detective Bureau and one (1) set of fingerprints.
- Original Application and Order with hearing date set with fingerprint cards and two (2) passport size photos to be filed with Clerk of Courts office.
- Bond in the sum of $10,000 to be filed in the Clerk of Courts office.
- After approval of license, fee of $205 for individual, $305 for corporation, to be received by the Clerk of Courts office.