Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: NEW YORK: Bounty Hunter/Fugitive Enforcement

Billy Quinones is offline Licensed Private Investigator

Member of Private Investigators Forum
    Sponsored by International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Re: NEW YORK: Bounty Hunter/Fugitive Enforcement

I have a question for you guys , how legit are the certifications that are earned through theses bail enforcement schools for mace , batons, handcuffs? in NYS/NYC? ONE TRAINS AND GETS CERTIFIED FOR TWO YEARS THROUGH A LAW ENFORCMENT TRAINER AND INSTRUCTOR QUALIFIED TO CERTIFY INDIVIDUALS WHO TAKE THERE COURSES, SO HOW LEGIT ARE THESES CERTIFICATIONS WHEN PERFORMING BAIL RECOVERY AND WORKING UNDER A PI LICENSE OR BAIL ENFORCEMENT LICENSE? DOES ANYONE KNOW? ANY ATTORNEYS AND OR PIs THAT CAN ANSWER THESES QUESTIONS? THANK YOU

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Quinones View Post
    how legit are the certifications that are earned through theses bail enforcement schools for mace , batons, handcuffs?
    There are some phony schools out there, and there are some very legitimate schools.

Here is one school that is IPIU endorsed:
    http://www.privatelawenforcement.com/

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Quinones View Post
    where in the nyc/nys licensing laws does the actual right to carry batons mace for arrests fall under???? where?

PIs carry guns if licensed by NYC POLICE DEPT
    so where do you get licensed or certified to carry a baton and or mace and handcuff? where?
    For Mace/Pepper Spray - go to the following link:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34762

For Batons - go to the following link:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35220

For Handcuffs - go to the following link:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35221

Question Re: NEW YORK: Bounty Hunter/Fugitive Enforcement

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanderson View Post
    I think I see where your questions are headed.

If you have a security license, you can operate as a BEA.
    So I can obtain a BEA lisence if I obtain a sercurity guard/officer lisence?

Sorry it's been a while since I've been here.

John Sanderson is offline Lifetime Member

Corporate Agency Member of:

Richy,

Welcome back. I have answered a multitude of questions in the first page of this thread. After reading your question I spent some time reviewing the information I had posted to find it is still accurate. Please review my posts on the first page of this thread for answers to all of your questions.

After further research into my own posts, it appears you have quoted me, from the very post that answers your question. It's a lot to read and I must admit I 'skim' through a lot of information and posts. Perhaps we have something in common.

In short, there are licenses available individually for each of the three fields: PI, Security and BEA. Also, Yes, you can carry a firearm (in most states) while carrying out your duties (additional license required). I have also posted some useful information in your intro topic.
    Last edited by John Sanderson; 03-14-2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Added the last paragraph.
    John Sanderson

Task Force Investigations
    Logistics Department

Alan Kaeckmeister - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member
    Certified SPI

Hey, I have seen there are lots of postings about getting a Bail Enforcement Agent license in New York. Just to let everyone know that it is NOT REALISTICALLY POSSIBLE to get a New York State bail enforcement license. To get a NYS bail enforcement license you need basically three things...

1. You need the 25 hour Bail Enforcement training certificate.
    2. You need a $500,000 bond.
    3. You to pay the state fee.

The reason why you cannot get a bail enforcement license is because there is no insurance companies that write a $500,000 bond for bail enforcement. That product/service does not exist so there is no way to meet the requirements to get a bail enforcement license.

Can you perform bail enforcement as a licensed private investigator or as a support staff? Yes you can! However, it is not realistically possible to obtain licensing as a bail enforcement agent due to the bond issue. If you are going to be responding with any contradictions to my statements please make sure to find out what insurance company will actually write out the $500,000 bond. I have contacted many companies and no one will write it out.

Michael Newman is offline Licensed Private Investigator
    Certified

Corporate Agency Associate Member of:

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Kaeckmeister View Post
    The reason why you cannot get a bail enforcement license is because there is no insurance companies that write a $500,000 bond for bail enforcement. That product/service does not exist so there is no way to meet the requirements to get a bail enforcement license.

Can you perform bail enforcement as a licensed private investigator or as a support staff? Yes you can! However, it is not realistically possible to obtain licensing as a bail enforcement agent due to the bond issue. If you are going to be responding with any contradictions to my statements please make sure to find out what insurance company will actually write out the $500,000 bond. I have contacted many companies and no one will write it out.
    Alan,

I think you presented your quote incorrectly to your insurance companies.

See Post #1 in this topic:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?5255

In the above link, you will see that a Bail Enforcement "License" is not a license to itself. A BEA is licensed UNDER either a bail bonds agency or UNDER a private investigator agency.

Therefore, when you ask for a quote you are as either a licensed bail bond agency or a licensed PI agency. Not as an independent BEA.

There are literally thousands of licensed bail bond agencies in New York, and all of them have the required $500,000 Bond for their employee who is running down jumpers.

All you have to do is call some of the bail bond agencies and ask them for a referral to the bond broker they use.

Or, apply for a quote as a licensed PI agency, where the majority of your cases are going to be PI cases, and the minority of cases will be apprehension for a bail bond agency. IPIU has a very good list of recommended agencies for quotes. Ask them. And if you have already used the IPIU list, then tell IPIU which brokers refused to help.

Michael
    Michael Newman
    Licensed Private Investigator

Certified SPI

The above link is just another IPIU link. If you go the actual New York State division of licensing http://www.dos.state.ny.us/forms/lic...0075-f-l-a.pdf You will see there is an actual Bail Enforcement Agent license. The same application that is used to apply to become a private investigator, watch guard agency or bail enforcement agent. Yes, there are various ways that can perform "bail enforcement" such as working as/under a private investigator or bail bond agency.

However, to get the the specific license of a "Bail Enforcement Agent" from the State of New York is not possible. The Bail Enforcement License IS a license of itself and you can see that if you actually take a look at the State of New York's division of licensing webpage.

Certified SPI

Quote Originally Posted by Richy Silver View Post
    So I can obtain a BEA lisence if I obtain a sercurity guard/officer lisence?

Sorry it's been a while since I've been here.
    No Richy, you cannot perform bail enforcement just because you have a security guards license. They are completely separate licenses.

Michael Newman is offline Licensed Private Investigator
    Certified

Corporate Agency Associate Member of:

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Kaeckmeister View Post
    However, to get the the specific license of a "Bail Enforcement Agent" from the State of New York is not possible. The Bail Enforcement License IS a license of itself and you can see that if you actually take a look at the State of New York's division of licensing webpage.
    I suspect the majority of private investigative agencies and bail bond companies in New York have a regular insurance policy that incorporates the required $500k bond. If you call them, as I recommended, and ask them for the names of the insurance and bonding agencies, then I would think you would have a better list of brokers to get a quote on, because they obviously have already underwritten the $500k for the bail bond companies. Once you get a good list, why not post the list here so others can benefit?

As for going for the individual BEA bond, without applying as a PI or a bail bondsman, I would hold off making any claim that "the product does not exist" until you devote a week of phone calls to the referrals from the bail agencies.

After all, if all else fails then all you have to do is post $500,000 in cash as your own bond!

Liz Mason - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member
    Sponsored by:
    Blog Entries

From Online Resources:

Bounty Hunting in New York

Bounty Hunters are known as Bail Enforcement Agents in New York and their behavior is explicitly regulated by state law. Fugitive Recovery Agents require training and licensure before they may make arrests in the state with the exception being the provision that a Bail Enforcement Agent may, “by a written authority endorsed on a certified copy of the bail bond, empower any person over twenty years of age to do so.”

How to Become a Bounty Hunter in New York

To become a Bounty Hunter in New York, you must have “three years' experience as a police officer; an investigator in an agency of the state, county, or federal government; or an employee of a licensed private investigator or at a firm, partnership, company, or corporation where one member has been performing the duties described in the definition of bail enforcement agent; OR twenty years' experience as a police officer or fire marshal.”

Becoming a police officer is possible through organizations such as the NYPD. Applicants must be at least 21 years old, a US citizen, and have completed at least 60 college credits with minimal GPA requirements or two years of military service. They also must pass a character and background check and have a valid driver’s license, among other things.

Private Investigators in New York must be at least 25 years old, part of an investigations business, three years of experience as an employee of an investigations business, pass an examination, and submit fingerprints along with $475 fee. More information can be found at the New York Department of State.

If you meet these requirements for licensing, becoming a Bounty Hunter in New York first involves finding a licensed bail bond company that will contract you to skip trace fugitives. But they will not hire just anybody. Professional bondsmen in the state are governed by lengthy regulations and restrictions and must ensure that the Fugitive Recovery Agents under their employment maintain only safe, effective, and lawful practices in their pursuit of fugitives. Thus, training and education about New York bail laws and safe skip tracing practices is highly recommended in addition to experience as an officer or a private investigator.

In addition, Bounty Hunters in the state must acquire a license, which requires a bail enforcement agent qualifying course. The course takes 25 hours and must be completed before a license will be issued.

New York Bounty Hunter Licenses and Requirements

Bail Enforcement Agents’ licenses are regulated by the Department of State in New York. To sum it up briefly, proof of a training course must be submitted along with fingerprints, a background check, and a surety bond in the sum of $500,000. The fee is $475 for a license which must be renewed every two years.

Glen Fuller is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Member of:

I have studied the pi field from pennfoster.edu and I am going through here ipiu I grad from pennfoster with an 90% over all ave, I am woundering if that would count towards BEA OR FRA and if there is any classes that would be close to me like corning new York that would do the 25 hrs of training I am limited on transportation to go to the big apple and if so what would be the cost of all of this or dose ipiu train us for this as well. please let me know thank you Glen Fuller

Andrew J Wakefield is offline Professional Support Services

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Fuller View Post
    I have studied the pi field from pennfoster.edu and I am going through here ipiu I grad from pennfoster with an 90% over all ave, I am woundering if that would count towards BEA OR FRA and if there is any classes that would be close to me like corning new York that would do the 25 hrs of training I am limited on transportation to go to the big apple and if so what would be the cost of all of this or dose ipiu train us for this as well. please let me know thank you Glen Fuller
    For a very limited time, IPIU has the following academic training course, exam, and library for BEA's:

http://www.privateinvestigator.cc/pr...roducts_id=992

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2