Thread: PI LICENSING: Arizona

New Hires

I am looking to be hired by an agency (National/Local/Prescott, Arizona). Does any one know the requirements to posses a PVI license in the state of Arizona?

Thanks!

NO LICENSE IS REQUIRED
    IF you fall into the following:

32-2430. Exemptions (Unregulated businesses)

1. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: 10) A person, firm or corporation, or an employee of a person, firm or corporation, that, for any consideration, observes consumer purchases of products or services in the public environments of a business establishment for the purpose of evaluating customer service, operational procedures, cleanliness, product quality and availability if all of the following apply:
      1. The information is obtained from questionnaires that the business establishment approves in advance of use.
      2. The obtained information is used for employee training or incentives.
      3. The obtained information is not used for prosecution of an employee.
      4. The business establishment does not use a single evaluation as the only basis for an employee's termination from employment.

2. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: (2) A person, firm or corporation, or an employee of a person, firm or corporation, engaged in the business of obtaining and furnishing financial and related personal information for others, including a consumer reporting agency as defined in the fair credit reporting act (15 United States Code section 1681a), if the person, firm or corporation does not engage in other investigative research that is an investigative consumer report as defined in the fair credit reporting act (15 United States Code section 1681a) and if the employee is not employed or connected with any private investigator or private investigator's business.

3. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: 11) A person or entity that is performing duties pursuant to statute and that is certified or registered by the supreme court.

4. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: 3) A practicing attorney involved in a case for which the attorney has been retained or a person employed under an employee-employer relationship with a practicing attorney, in the employee's performance of duties related to a case for which the attorney has been retained.

5. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: 4) A collection agency licensed in this state, or its employee while acting within the scope of employment, while making an investigation incidental to the business of the agency, including an investigation of the location of a debtor or the debtor's property if the contract with an assignor creditor is for the collection of claims owed or due or asserted to be owed or due or its equivalent.

6. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: 5) Insurance brokers, adjusters and agents licensed by this state in performing their duties in connection with insurance transacted by them.

7. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: 6) The legal owner of personal property that has been sold under a sales agreement in making investigations relating to the sales agreement.

8. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: 7) A member of the news media and its employees when engaged in obtaining information for the purpose of disseminating news to the public.

9. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: 8) Public service corporations engaged in transmitting messages, furnishing public telegraph or telephone service or investigating the use or misuse of their equipment and facilities or the use or misuse of the equipment and facilities of any connecting telecommunications company.

10. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: 9) Private process servers who are duly registered and performing their duties pursuant to the Arizona rules of civil procedure.

11. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: 1) An officer or employee of the federal government, this state or a political subdivision of this state, while engaged in the official performance of the officer's or employee's duties.

Updated Source (6-2009) : Click here

IF WISH TO OBTAIN YOUR
    STATE PI LICENSE:

32-2422. Qualification of applicant for agency license; associate and employee registration

A. An applicant as a qualifying party for an agency license under this chapter shall:

1. Be at least twenty-one years of age.

2. Be a citizen or legal resident of the United States and of good moral character.

3. Not have been convicted of a felony.

4. Not have been convicted of any act involving illegally using, carrying or possessing a dangerous weapon.

5. Not have been convicted of any act of personal violence or force on any person or convicted of threatening to commit any act of personal violence or force against another person.

6. Not have been convicted of any act constituting dishonesty or fraud.

7. Not be on probation, on parole or named in an outstanding arrest warrant.

8. If previously or currently licensed in another state or jurisdiction, be in good standing within that state or jurisdiction.

9. Have had a minimum of three years of full-time investigative experience or the equivalent of three years of full-time investigative experience that consists of actual work performed as an investigator for a private concern, for the federal government or for a state, county or municipal government.

B. If the applicant for an agency license is a firm, partnership, association or corporation, the qualifications required by subsection A are required of the individual in active management who shall be the qualifying party of the firm, partnership, association or corporation.

C. Applicants for an agency license shall substantiate investigative work experience claimed as years of qualifying experience and provide the exact details as to the character and nature of the experience on a form prescribed by the department and certified by the employers. On written request, an employer shall submit to the employee a written certification of prior work experience within thirty days. The written certification is subject to independent verification by the director. If an employer goes out of business, the employer shall provide all employees with a complete and accurate record of their work history. If applicants are unable to supply written certification from an employer in whole or in part, applicants may offer written certification from persons other than an employer covering the same subject matter for consideration by the director. The burden of proving the minimum years of experience is on the applicant.

D. An applicant for an associate license or employee registration shall meet all qualification standards prescribed in subsection A, except for paragraphs 1 and 9. The minimum age for an associate or an employee is eighteen years of age.

Source (2009): Private Investigator Law

Licensing Unit: http://licensing.azdps.gov/Licensepr...vestigator.asp

Verify a License: http://webapps.azdps.gov/public_inq/...eStatus.action

Originally posted by Jim Devoy
    Margrit,
    I have read those statues so many times I think I know them by heart. It still didn't answer my question on whether IPIU would give me a blue card or if they have something different.

Jim
    We aid IPIU members on licensing in the private forum titled Obtaining Your Private Investigator License or Agency License Forum .

Re: Arizona

Originally posted by Jeffrey Tennant
    I have read the law on this forum, but still am not sure. Does it mean that a person cannot work as a unlicensed Private Investigator??? :
    You need to read the law again and look at the eight (8) exemptions to requiring a license (see above).

Is the only option for gaining experience, working with an agency or attorney office under their license?
    No. See the earlier reply.

With all of the tools out there like the internet and programs for finding individuals, etc. I would think that you could advertise to offer this service and be unlicensed until you gained the experience that you needed. Am I right or wrong?
    You do not need a license to gain the experience needed for a license, provided you use the exemptions.
    Julia Ann Stewart
    Sr. Director of Public Relations
    International Private Investigators Union

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    BBB A+ Rating Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 21st Year Serving 41,932 Members
    CALL IPIU TODAY TO JOIN: 800-548-1526

Re: Blue Card

Originally posted by Jim Devoy
    The question that I have been asking here is will IPIU help us get a blue card
    Yes, we will provided Level 4 Members do the following:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=4057

And this:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=4856

Re: using the name private investigator

Originally posted by Margit Gressierer
    Re: using the name private investigator:
    the AZ DPS is very strict ...
    Yes, but that does NOT forbid unlicensed or unregulated private investigators from using the title "private investigator". Know the precise law, the precise statutes, and the precise references, aqs well as the name and title of the person offering you advice.

I asked someone at the licensing department about retreiving public information and was told that if I would use this information to sell it to someone else I would have to have a license through the DPS. They refered me to the revised statutes of AZ. Chapter 24, title 32.
    Please post the direct web link to the chapter and title they are referring to, so as to make sure of the context. There are thousands of document retrievers in Arizona that do not require a PI license.

In addition to my ipiu license...
    IPIU does not issue a "license". It is a credential card. Read the backside of the card for details.

After reading some comments on the forum I decided to study with Thomson which gave me lots of valuable information. However, nobody in AZ seems to honor any of those credentials...
    Thomson changed their name. See the Educational Forum. And I would not state that "nobody...seems to honor..." your credentials. There are thousands you may not have asked.

DPS and other PI's tell me that they never heard of ipiu!
    With over 100,000 private investigators and ove 30,000 agencies, we do not claim to have been frmally introduced to every private investigator. Our union is not for everyone, especially for those who do not need the benefits we offer. As for the licensing board, they have several employees whose job is state related and does not include correspoinding with any trade associations. What is important is for you, as a member, to become introduced to those members and agencies who are familiar with IPIU.

What to do? I will certainly not waste 3 years of my life working for someone at minimal pay and having no decision making powers.
    I did a search on your Level 4 access and found that you have not posted any comment relating to applying to the agencies and firms who are located in the private assignment forums.

Read and do the following:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=4856

And this:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=4057

And this:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums//showthre...&threadid=1827

And the next issue of PI Magazine repeats what we teach about Integrity Investigation assignments.

I wish ipiu would have stated clearer in the beginning, that their license would not enable me to get any closer to my goal.
    I still enjoy the forums, but wish more people would respond at a faster rate.
    Good luck to everybody,
    Margit Gressierer
    Again, we issue no state license. You have posted 20 comments since you arrived here, and most Level 4 members are well over 100 comments which offers a clue as to the number of training topics you have participated in. Everything for your personal success is on the forums. Please read them.

Also, please review our revised Forum Rules, Code of Ethics, and Mission Statement here:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=6688

Re: UNREGULATED PRIVATE INVESTIGATORS

At the beginning of this forum it communicates that these laws apply only to "Licensed Private Investigators" and does not apply to "UNREGULATED PRIVATE INVESTIGATORS".

Can someone please clarify exactly what this means to the trainee?
    That means the state licensing department has no authority ro insist you have to have a license within the exempted areas of private investigators.

If it does not apply to Unregulated Private Investigators, than that must mean it is OK to work as a Unregulated, Unlicensed Private Investigator whether you work for an attorney office or agency.
    That is what the state law reflects.

Thanks Jim for your input. I never ment to imply that is was ipiu's fault, I just think it is not exactly favorable that no one I met in AZ seems to have ever heard about ipiu.
    I hope you will have lots of fun putting your 3 years in. This is everybodies personal decision, I would be loosing money working for someone for $ 20,- / hour. We all have to make decisions that are tailored to our needs and are to our personal best interest.
    Good luck. Margit Gressierer
    Please do not post any comment on the forums that belittles another investigator's earnings, especially at $20 per hour.

If your personal goal is to earn higher than $20 per hour, then consider opening your own agency in Arizona (with no personal experience required) by following the procedures I outlined in an earlier Reply to another member. That way you can bill out to clients at $65 and more per hour. And you do not need to wait 3 years. You can apply this week.
    Julia Ann Stewart
    Sr. Director of Public Relations
    International Private Investigators Union

START WITH TRUST

Note to all:

Whenever a clerk discourages you from performing a particular type of tas, such as retrieving public information from a government building and reselling it, then ask them to email you the exact statute they are basing their opinion on.

In this case, there is no such Chapter 24, Title 32 statute. It is known as Title 32, Chapter 24 (reverse). But within Chapter 24 (which is the Private Investigators Act), there only five (5) Articles. None of the Articles listed prohibit an unlicensed private investigator (or other person) from obtaining personal or financial information and reselling it.

To the contrary, the following is an exemption to licensing:
    CHAPTER 24/Article 1/32-2409 Exemptions:
    2. A person, firm or corporation, or an employee of a person, firm or corporation, engaged in the business of obtaining and furnishing financial ratings and personal information for others if the employee is not employed or connected with any private investigator or private investigator's business.

Summary:
    2. A person . . . engaged in the business of obtaining and furnishing financial ratings and personal information for others if the (peprson) is not employed or connected with any private investigator or private investigator's business.

Source:
    http://azleg.gov/ArizonaRevisedStatutes.asp?Title=32
    Again, if you call the licensing office and ask for a verbal opinion for working as an unregulated or unlicensed private investigator - and they discourage you - have them email you a copy of the statute that they are basing their advice (opinion) on. Licensing Boards in all states are obligated to perform their functions based on two items:

1) The state statutes (which are passed by the senate and house);

2) A formal and public interpretation by the state attorney general (who is the chief law enforcement attorney for matters of the state).

Any other opinion not based on the above two items are not rules or statutes. However, they may be "views" of the board in matters they would feel appropriate to refer to the attorney general for clarification.

-----

Please read the 2nd post in this topic on Page 1. It lists nine (9) areas of private investigations that do not require you to be licensed.

-----

Opinion:
    Although there are thousands of private investigators who work without having the expense of additional PI licensing, we feel this is a personal choice you will make. Ideally, we see both IPIU membership and a state issued license the key to a long-term professional career.
    Legal Affairs comments are not intended to be and should absolutely not be taken as legal advice. If you should require legal, tax, or financial advice, you must first enter into a written agreement with only a licensed professional for legal, tax, or financial services, signed by both you and the licensed professional, and paid a retainer in good funds. Legal Affairs is not, nor intends to be, nor solicits to be your licensed professional. Members accessing comments by Legal Affairs are required to be bound by their Terms of Use Agreement regarding Legal Affairs.

To all:

The moderators have moved all of the off-topic comments that do not pertain to the statutes to a Miscellaneous topic in the forum.

For fingerprinting questions, go to the sub forum for fingerprints in the Trainee Forum. (Same for photos).
    Lance Jefferson
    Trainer - Private Investigators Union

START WITH TRUST

Carlos NaJarro-- is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Hello to all potential P/I comrades.as a new member to this forum I would like to add some of my knowledge to assist in past and present views.

I have been working in Arizona for 30 plus years in security, loss prevention, a little P/I work, and the likes.

Back about 10 years or so ago, if you worked as a security guard you could obtain your license as a P/I. However, DPS did change the law as was posted above to having to work under a current investigative company or attorneys etc. and as for loss prevention I have yet to hear that you can obtain a P/I license.

I hope this is helpful to any who need it I enjoy heraing and reading on how we can obtain a P/I license. good luck to all of us

Carlos, and everyone else (although most of the posts are stale except for Carlos' post) .. what did everyone determine? Has everyone given up? successfully gained employment?

What I am reading here seems to be that Arizona requires to license one needs three years work experience. Isn't this then, the old catch 22, where they want only experienced, and how does one gain experience?

I am in the largest city in Arizona. I see others probably are too, although a few I detected s being in Flagstaff. Has anyone formed a local area group? a meetup or anything?

just curious. I will be calling on Tuesday (monday being the 4th of july!) to find out which agency is the best (reading cheapest and easiest to get to) to get my fingerprints. Anyone has local experience they wish to share?

arlene

Michael Newman is offline Licensed Private Investigator
    Certified

Corporate Agency Associate Member of:
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlene K Golden
    Carlos, and everyone else (although most of the posts are stale except for Carlos' post) .. what did everyone determine? Has everyone given up? successfully gained employment?
    If employed, it would be discussed in the Level 4 members forums and not in the public forums.

After reading the full text of the earlier comments, it seems it was determined that the Blue Card is the actual PI License that is issued. But it also is not required as outlined in the above statutes and exemptions.
    What I am reading here seems to be that Arizona requires to license one needs three years work experience.
    Only if the applicant desires a license. A license is not required for all types of investigations as stated above in the statutes.
    Isn't this then, the old catch 22, where they want only experienced, and how does one gain experience?
    By working unregulated assignments that can qualify for a license later.
    I am in the largest city in Arizona. I see others probably are too, although a few I detected s being in Flagstaff. Has anyone formed a local area group? a meetup or anything?
    Local meetings are approved when following the procedures outlined in the Forum Rules .

I will be calling on Tuesday (monday being the 4th of july!) to find out which agency is the best (reading cheapest and easiest to get to) to get my fingerprints. Anyone has local experience they wish to share?
    Yes, there is a lot of great advice in the FINGERPRINT FORUM for Trainees. Go there to read the topic titles.

Michael Taylor Guest
    I just wanted to say that I too am looking to join the intriguing world of private investigating but it seems difficult in Arizona. I contacted the supervisor of DPS Licensing Department via email and this is what he said:

I will refer you first to a website where you can view the state laws
    concerning Private Investigators. Go to: http://www.azleg.state.az.us/, then to Arizona Revised Statutes Title 32 Chapter 24. Please contact me after that with any additional questions you may have or if you'd like an agency application sent to you.

I read these State Laws and they are hard to understand. My question is, can I call myself something other than a Private Investigator and get hired by an Insurance company and investigate Insurance Fraud? You know, follow patients that have been claiming they had injuries and video tape otherwise. Not sure if this is legal or does the state feel this falls under "stalking" if you aren't licensed?

I would love to get in contact with anyone trying to be a Private Investigator in Arizona and maybe have a group discussion where we all put our heads together and try and reach our goals.

Michael Taylor

Wink licensing in Arizona

Michael Taylor, thank you for your response re: PI licensing in Arizona. Your response seemed to ask more questions than response to my orig question. I looked up the Arizona licensing laws site provided by DPS. The exception to a PI's license is a "Insurance adjusters" license,but licensing is required for that job under T-20 section 20-321 & 20-321.01. I would say that if you want to investigate insurance fraud cases you would need a state license as a PI or Adjuster. Keep in mind I am no expert in these matters, it's just my opinion. I thank you for taking the time to respond to my question,but things have changed for me and I am not moving to Arizona anyway.
    Mike Castleton

Clear Licensing Information

Administrator,
    Thanks for the Arizona Licensing Requirements, including the exemptions and qualifications. It was very clear and concise.
    I think there will be no problem getting the three years of experience through the on-the-job training program with IPIU.

Debra
    Last edited by Debra Sheff -; 09-08-2004 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Spacing was incorrect when displayed

Michael, I was having the same questions as you, having moved here recently I wanted to get a license but by reading item 2 under the exemption I dont think one is required. But item number 9 under qualification has me concerned. I have worked for the police department as a crime scene tech for a year and taken a crime scene certification class, and investigation classes. My question is who determines what is the equivalent of three years. During that time that I worked with the police I did alot of cases.

Arizona PI Licensing Info. GREAT

Good Afternoon Everyone:
    This information is great. I am in Arizona and have wondered about licensing as a PI. My main interest is background searches. However; right now, I do this under the mortgage brokers license as a consultant and it is included in my Audit Exam package.

I believe from what I am reading, is that if I (and I do) want to expand my business to Background Searches out side of the mortgage industry and on my own, then I would need a license. Since I am not working as an employee of anyone other than myself and I would be selling (Reseller) of my information. I am FCRA certified and as long as I work under another license I am ok. Once I sell the information I need a license or I need to become a CA. Credit Agent according to FCRA.
    The way I look at it, is this. I am going to go for my license and if I need it fine, if I don't well, that's ok, because at some point I will.
    Does that make any sense?

I know I have a lot of catching up to do, but I am trying to do my own business - Compliance Consulting and I haven't had time to be on the site, much to my dismay.

I really enjoy all the great information
    Take Care
    Cheri

You need the 3 years of experience before getting a license if you are going out on your own. An already established PI agency can get you a PI license to work for them with no experience, assuming you meet the DPS credentials.

Wink Thank you Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Blakesslee
    You need the 3 years of experience before getting a license if you are going out on your own. An already established PI agency can get you a PI license to work for them with no experience, assuming you meet the DPS credentials.
    Hi Eric,
    Thank you for the information. I am getting ready to send my test in and hopefully pass. With the test I will be sending my job availability list.
    As you say I will need 3 years experience which is what I thought, so I will try to work as a trainee for an already established agency. However as the manual suggests I could hire a licensed PI under my current business and learn from them. Their license would allow me to become licensed as a PI business right away.
    If I am misunderstanding this please advise.
    Again Thanks for your help
    Cheri

Arizona (confusing as normal)

I have read all the posts here in this topic and I hate to say it I still am a bit confused. I know Arizona law in regards to being a security guard (since I already am one). Know I also know that on my app. for guard it was the same app. for a PI. But it says 3 years experience in this field or equivalent. Now I do not remember anywhere were it says whom it is that gets to decide on what equivalent fields are. Then again I also saw the exemptions but for me (not knowing legalize ) I really do not understand what there is that I can do alone with out having to be part of someone else’s work. If anyone really can break this down that can understand all of this law, statues, and other stuff I would be grateful. If not if there were somewhere that you can point me to that can help me decode all of this would be welcome also.
    Lyle Van Meter

Hi Lyle, I just became a memeber as well and live in AZ. I read the requirements as well and am not sure I totally understand. Looks like bottom line is that you have to have 3 years of experience to work on your own or you can work for an agency without a license. I think we're still confused.

Howdy All,
    I have been wondering myself about Arizona Laws and such and have read all the replies and have to say I am still a bit confused, (nothing new). Anyways I did a search and found this....
    REFERENCE TITLE: private investigators; security guards; exemptions
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ¦
    ¦
    ¦
    ¦ State of Arizona
    ¦ House of Representatives
    ¦ Forty-seventh Legislature
    ¦ First Regular Session
    ¦ 2005

AN ACT

AMENDING SECTIONS 32-2409 AND 32-2606, ARIZONA REVISED STATUTES; RELATING TO PRIVATE INVESTIGATORS AND SECURITY GUARDS.

32-2409. Exemptions

This chapter does not apply to:

1. An officer or employee of the federal government, this state or a political subdivision of this state, while EITHER OF THE FOLLOWING:

(a) Engaged in the official performance of the officer's or employee's duties.

(b) WORKING AS A SECURITY OFFICER OR A TRAFFIC CONTROL OFFICER FOR A PRIVATE COMPANY, CORPORATION OR ENTERPRISE AS ALLOWED BY THE OFFICER'S OR EMPLOYEE'S EMPLOYER.

I take it that they amended some things in Arizona. You guys might even already have seen this.
    Just wanted to share.

Here is the link to the above search
    http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatF....htm&DocType=B
    Have a Great Day!

Thanks. I too live in arizona, and was searching for this answer.

Sarah

Smile Licsencing law for Arizona

Hi,

I was checking out the State of Arizona department of public safety website. I found information on there for being a private investigator in Arizona. I hope this information is helpful I have it pasted below

Sincerely, Sarah

LICENSING UNIT

Private Investigator
    Arizona Revised Statutes (ARS) governing PI licenses
    Private Investigators: Title 32, Chapter 24

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/Arizona...s.asp?Title=32

Who must be licensed

You must have a valid Private Investigator Employee license if your work meets the definitions in ARS 32-2401-16 (below). This license will only be issued under the sponsorship of an Arizona licensed private investigation agency. The P.I. Employee license is valid only while employed by the sponsoring Agency. If your employment ends, the Qualifying Party of that agency must return your license to DPS.

It is illegal for a Private Investigator to work in Arizona without an Arizona license. Arizona does not have any reciprocity agreements with other states.

Unless you fall under one of the exemptions in P. I. Exemptions (ARS 32-2409), providing private investigation services without a license is a class 1 misdemeanor. Additionally, a violation of these regulations can prevent you from obtaining a license in the future.

Legal Definition of a Private Investigator (ARS 32-2401-16)
    16. "Private investigator" means a person other than an insurance adjuster or an on-duty peace officer as defined in section 1-215 who, for any consideration, engages in business or accepts employment to:
    (a) Furnish, agree to make or make any investigation for the purpose of obtaining information with reference to:
    (i) Crime or wrongs done or threatened against the United States or any state or territory of the United States.
    (ii)The identity, habits, conduct, movements, whereabouts, affiliations, associations, transactions, reputation or character of any person or group of persons.
    (iii)The credibility of witnesses or other persons.
    (iv)The whereabouts of missing persons, owners of abandoned property or escheated property or heirs to estates.
    (v) The location or recovery of lost or stolen property.
    (vi) The causes and origin of, or responsibility for, a fire, libel, slander, a loss, an accident, damage or an injury to real or personal property.
    (b) Secure evidence to be used before investigating committees or boards of award or arbitration or in the trial of civil or criminal cases and the preparation therefor.
    (c) Investigate threats of violence and provide the service of protection of individuals from serious bodily harm or death.

Private Investigator Employee New Hire Steps

1. Be offered employment by a DPS-licensed Private Investigation agency. This agency fills out the Employer section and signs the Registration Application.

2. Complete and sign the Employee section.

3. Submit fingerprints.

4. Submit a color photograph of your face.

5. Submit $79 cash, money order, or check payable to DPS. This covers the $50 license fee and the $29 fingerprint processing fee.

Expiration date will be the same as the Agency’s expiration date.

Renewal

P.I. Employees renew when their Agency renews
    Less than 60 days before the expiration date
    Less than 90 days past the expiration date (add $10 late fee)
    Steps
    1.The agency fills out Employer section of the Registration Application and an authorized person signs it.

2.Submit a color photograph of your face.

3.Submit $79 cash or money order, or check payable to DPS. This covers the $50 license fee and the $29 fingerprint processing fee.

Additional Private Investigator Employee licenses

A separate P.I. Employee license is required for each job
    You may work as a Private Investigator for as many agencies as you wish. An additional Private Investigator Employee license, however, must be issued for each agency. The P.I. Employee license is valid only while employed by the sponsoring Agency. If your employment ends, you must surrender your license to the Agency.

Expiration date will the same as the Agency named on the license
    Fingerprint card is not required
    This License cannot be issued while you wait at the window
    Steps
    1. Be offered employment by a DPS-licensed Private Investigation agency. The agency fills out Employer section of the Registration Application and an authorized person signs it.

3. Submit a color photograph of your face.

4. Submit $10 cash, money order, or check payable to DPS.

5. Submit proof of identification, such as a Drivers License.

Experience and Training required
    At this time, there are no experience or training requirements to become a P. I. Employee.

Oh, yes, and I must add, that they do have there fees posted on there, but you don't get the training, or the great help you would get here at IPIU. IPIU makes the process easier, the learning expirience great, and makes it possible to get to know and learn from other fine PI's not to mention the fact that they help us every step of the way.

Re: State Licensing Information:

Quote Originally Posted by admin
    Thank you for posting the Exemption laws for the state of Arizona. I printed it out so I can refer to it later. It's an important list to learn.

Joan

Re: PI LICENSING: Arizona

When doing the fingerprint check with DPS, do they issue you a fingerprint clearance card? Since I have one, would I have to resubmit to become a PI?

Terri

For those of you who think there is no hope…..read on….

I was a municipal police officer in the 80's in and officially trained at the academy of the NM State Police/Santa Fe. Although a uniformed officer in my city, I spent many hours working in CID (detective division) doing undercover work, crime scene processing and investigative work before drug raids. I spent time participating in S.W.A.T. exercises as well.

In AZ where I live now, I am not able to get an agency license because this state does not consider the work of 'police officer' investigative work. I was dumbfounded to hear this from a DPS employee in the licensing division! I even have a job description from my department that reads my duties (among others) were; accident and crime scene investigation. I also have letters of recommendation, commendation and letters of reference from my work in CID as well.

When speaking to the DPS agent, I described to him all of the docs and info I was ready to submit and asked him for a candid, ball park opinion as to whether it looked like it would fly. He said, "I am not the detective that reviews the applications, but in my opinion, no. Your application does not appear to be one that would be approved for agency license. You have to prove 3 years or 6000 hours of experience in 'true' investigative work." My jaw dropped.

By the way, they have one detective here. I was pursuing the agency license simply because I don't want to commit to 8hrs a day 7 days a week anymore as I have done for more that 20 years and I had the idea any agency I hired on with wouldn't allow me to choose my cases/hrs.

So, then I went to NM statutes and it looked even more grim to get a PI license there! And.... through the very state I served as a PO in! (I was hoping to do some work there even though in residence here in AZ). That didn't fly either, because in NM you have to apply within 5 years of your experience as a PO, attorney...whatever. Needless to say...it was looking like a path that wasn't meant for me to continue.

After stumbling on the IPIU website and reading and researching for hours, I began to feel this was too good to be true. It appeared that IPIU could be the answer to everything for me. I would be able to acquire experience in 'true' investigative work, (according to AZ law) through IPIU, completely within the guidelines and laws set forth by this state (and other states as well), and work the cases I choose to work. Now, with all that I have researched and the walls I have run up against....can you see why it seemed for me too good to be true? (You know the cliché...."when it seems too good to be true...it probably is").

Well, I sprung for the bucks for the Manager Membership and dived right in. I figured what the heck; if it turned out to be bogus all I was out was the money and had learned yet one more hard lesson about the industry I was desperately trying to break into.

For any of you who are skeptics, within 1 month of joining IPIU, I participated in a Federal Anti-Piracy case.

Now…if that doesn’t say it all, I don’t know what will.

I wish the best of luck to all of you out there facing the ‘struggle’ and hope that you will continue to read and research IPIU’s memberships and information forums. IPIU holds back no information, no matter what the questions asked, and if nothing else it is a huge source of information about the private investigation field.

I know you will not be disappointed.

Warm Regards,
    and Happy New Year!
    CorkyJD

Hey,

It's good to see the thread's been updated from my thread:

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...211#post484211

I also had a question about something that the admins posted there. Specifically, this:

But whatever the statutes are, they still cannot over-ride the other rights and laws within the state of Arizona. The regulations set forth in statutes are only for those who advertise themselves to the public as a private investigator. But if the individual person or the individual company does not advertise as a PI Agency, then they can perform as many investigations as they want within the general business rules outside of the PI board.
    I want to clarify that I'm understanding what I was told. If I am reading this correctly, that just means that the regulations in Arizona on what kind of work can be done be licensed PIs (i.e., surveillance and the like) ONLY apply to those people who wish to ADVERTISE themselves as Private Investigators.

So, if an individual or organization simply does not advertise themselves as a private investigator, bills themselves as one, or represents themselves as one, then the Arizona statutes simply do not apply them. Is that correct?

And if that is true, what laws and regulations DO they follow, if any at all?

It seems almost as if as long as we do not advertise ourselves as private investigators, then we can still do everything that private investigators do.

Comments, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morra View Post
    It seems almost as if as long as we do not advertise ourselves as private investigators, then we can still do everything that private investigators do.
    There are two main elements in determining if a business is in violation of a regulated profession or if the business is within their rights as a lawful unregulated company. The first element is the advertising of that business. The second is the action the business takes as a result of obtaining a customer.

Example 1:
    Your unlicensed company advertises itself as ABC Data Systems and performs background checks. Your action is to check available database records and court records on the subject. You do not need a PI License.

Example 2:
    Your unlicensed company advertises itself as ABC Legal Forms and provides walk-in clients with sample forms to file a lawsuit. Your action is to personally advise your customer of their legal rights, fill out the document for the court filing, and submit the document on behalf of the client. Even though you do not advertise as a law firm, your actions can be seen as practicing as an attorney without a license.

Example 3:
    You obtain a client who wishes your ABC Data Company to perform a background check or to determine the location of a relative. You locate the subject using data records. You do not need a PI License.

Your client then requests you to perform a 24 hour surveillance with photos and video. You either need a PI License or you need to sub-contract the surveillance portion of the case to a licensed PI.

1. The advertising of your company for Example 3 does not require a PI License.
    2. The first action of your case does not require a PI License
    3. The second action of your case requires a PI License or a sub-contractor with a PI License.

Liz Mason - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member
    Sponsored by:
    Blog Entries

Update Information for Arizona PI License

Update Information:

Private Investigator
    Arizona Revised Statutes (ARS) governing PI licenses

Private Investigators: Title 32, Chapter 24

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/Arizona...s.asp?Title=32

Who must be licensed

You must have a valid Private Investigator Employee license if your work meets the definitions in ARS 32-2401-16 (below). This license will only be issued under the sponsorship of an Arizona licensed private investigation agency. The P.I. Employee license is valid only while employed by the sponsoring Agency. If your employment ends, the Qualifying Party of that agency must return your license to DPS.

It is illegal for a Private Investigator to work in Arizona without an Arizona license. Arizona does not have any reciprocity agreements with other states.

Unless you fall under one of the exemptions in P. I. Exemptions (ARS 32-2409), providing private investigation services without a license is a class 1 misdemeanor. Additionally, a violation of these regulations can prevent you from obtaining a license in the future.
    Legal Definition of a Private Investigator (ARS 32-2401-16)

16. "Private investigator" means a person other than an insurance adjuster or an on-duty peace officer as defined in section 1-215 who, for any consideration, engages in business or accepts employment to:
    (a) Furnish, agree to make or make any investigation for the purpose of obtaining information with reference to:
    (i) Crime or wrongs done or threatened against the United States or any state or territory of the United States.
    (ii) The identity, habits, conduct, movements, whereabouts, affiliations, associations, transactions, reputation or character of any person or group of persons.
    (iii) The credibility of witnesses or other persons.
    (iv) The whereabouts of missing persons, owners of abandoned property or escheated property or heirs to estates.
    (v) The location or recovery of lost or stolen property.
    (vi) The causes and origin of, or responsibility for, a fire, libel, slander, a loss, an accident, damage or an injury to real or personal property.
    (b) Secure evidence to be used before investigating committees or boards of award or arbitration or in the trial of civil or criminal cases and the preparation therefor.
    (c) Investigate threats of violence and provide the service of protection of individuals from serious bodily harm or death.
    Private Investigator Employee
    New Hire

Steps
    1. Be offered employment by a DPS-licensed Private Investigation agency. This agency fills out the Employer section and signs the Registration Application.

3. Submit fingerprints.

4. Submit a color photograph of your face.

5. Submit $74 cash, money order, company or cashier's check payable to DPS. This covers the $50 license fee and the $24 fingerprint processing fee. The Licensing Unit does not accept personal checks, credit or debit cards.

Expiration date will be the same as the Agency’s expiration date.

Renewal
    # P.I. Employees renew when their Agency renews
    # Less than 60 days before the expiration date
    # Less than 90 days past the expiration date (add $10 late fee)

Steps
    1. The agency fills out Employer section of the Registration Application and an authorized person signs it.

2. Submit a color photograph of your face. (If appearance has changed)

3. Submit $74 cash, money order, company or cashier's check payable to DPS. This covers the $50 license fee and the $24 fingerprint processing fee. The Licensing Unit does not accept personal checks, credit or debit cards.

Additional Private Investigator Employee licenses
    A separate P.I. Employee license is required for each job

You may work as a Private Investigator for as many agencies as you wish. An additional Private Investigator Employee license, however, must be issued for each agency. The P.I. Employee license is valid only while employed by the sponsoring Agency. If your employment ends, you must surrender your license to the Agency.
    # Expiration date will be the same as the Agency named on the license
    # Fingerprint card is not required, if your prints were last done within the last 365 days
    # This License cannot be issued while you wait at the window

Steps
    1. Be offered employment by a DPS-licensed Private Investigation agency. The agency fills out Employer section of the Registration Application and an authorized person signs it.

3. Submit a color photograph of your face. (If appearance has changed)

4. Submit $10 cash, money order, company or cashier's check payable to DPS. The Licensing Unit does not accept personal checks, credit or debit cards.

5. Submit proof of identification, such as a Drivers License.

Experience and Training required

At this time, there are no experience or training requirements to become a P. I. Employee.

Resource: http://licensing.azdps.gov/Licensepr...vestigator.asp

Re: UNREGULATED PRIVATE INVESTIGATORS

Aloha,
    Thank you for the information. I feel that thus far, my knowledge in regards to IPIU is correct. Blessings.
    Mahalo,
    Tan~

Jacob Hall is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

2014-2015 Corporate Agency Member of:

Thank you for all the information and advice contained within this thread, I am finding it very useful as I am planning to further myself in this field within Arizona.

I understand all the classroom and on the job training in getting to the 3000 hours will qualify me in getting my license.

With my co. we are always training which will reflect on my getting my state license.
    I maybe bias but I think my company does a through job of keeping their employees well trained. There's always something to learn and Joe does his best to keep us informed and up to date.
    Thanks Joe !

After reading this forum i am understanding the Arizona licensing laws better and have downloaded the Arizona laws for P.I.s and plan to use this information for further reference.