Thread: Do I Need a License in this matter?

liability matter

Hi, Im a PI, but don't have a license in the state of PA, and Im conducting an investigation, involving a Driver License emplyee, to substantiate an evidence of A Driver License Fraudulent misuse, where the employee is telling me that the social security number of a person in a given ID card does not match with the victim's social security number;but after putiing it through their security investigating unit, they tell me that both ss# match, after I went to two different places, and two different employees tell me that the social security does not match, and I decide it to use a covert pager survaillance camera, to substatiate my evidence, as a third attempt. My question is: Do Ihave to do this Investigation through an Agency, or can I do it my self withoutt incurring in an iligal situation? Please get back to me as soon as poasible. Thank You.
    Jeremias Olivo

[list=1][*]If you are investigating this because you are personally involved in the matter, no license is needed.
    [*]If you are investigating this matter on behalf of a "client" (paid or not), you will need a license or work under an agency.
    [*]If you are investigating this matter as an employee of a company that is contracted by the driver's license agency for quality control, no license is needed.
    [*]If you are investigating this matter as an employee of a firm (such as a law firm, insurance company, or any organization that exempt under state licensing law, you do not need a license.
    [*]Use of a covert video device in this particular matter should be checked with Pennsylvania law.
    [/list=1]

General question, thinking of joining IPIU

If I was a Preferred Member and I was doing an investigation for a client that I was not reffered to by IPIU, like #2, but found on my own, could I use the credentials that I recieved from IPIU to conduct this investigation? Is IPIU licensed in every state as well as internationally?

Joel, if I understand right......IPIU does not issue licenses. They only provide training. I'm sure one of the moderators will give you a better explaination.

There's alot of info here and you would be more than welcome to join us. I have recently joined myself and am awaiting my membership materials. I enjoy reading all the different forums and looking up the answers to questions I have. (The most difficult is waiting on the mail to arrive)

Shannon Marble is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Union Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Joel, I would like to know the answer to your question as well. Especially since we had to get finger printed and was issues a badge.