Thread: Do I have to register in my state as an intern?

I'm trying to find out some information on the state of Texas. Being a member of IPIU, is that all i need to have to work as a private investigator in training or does the state require me to register with them also.

One other question is the badge/wallet has private investigator on it as well as case examiner. if i got stopped by a police officer and he seen the badge while getting my drivers license out , would i get arrested for impersonating a officer or private investigator or with the case examiner on it also am i within my rights to carry the badge.

Just trying to find out what the state of Texas requirement are.
    Jeff Redelsperger

Originally posted by J.Redelsperger
    I'm trying to find out some information on the state of Texas. Being a member of IPIU, is that all i need to have to work as a private investigator in training or does the state require me to register with them also.
    I believe in most states you can work under someone else's license, as a trainee or otherwise. I think that's the way it works with the referrals from I.P.I.U.

One other question is the badge/wallet has private investigator on it as well as case examiner. if i got stopped by a police officer and he seen the badge while getting my drivers license out , would i get arrested for impersonating a officer or private investigator or with the case examiner on it also am i within my rights to carry the badge. Just trying to find out what the state of Texas requirement are.
    Unless Texas has a law against P.I.'s carrying badges, I doubt it.

I believe L.D. is correct on both counts. The following link will show a portion of the Texas statutes that deal with Private Investigators. Specifically CHAPTER 1702. PRIVATE INVESTIGATORS AND PRIVATE SECURITY AGENCIES.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/cgi-b...O_DOC_TEXT=YES

I copied and pasted the following that deals with the displaying of a badge. (This is contained in the above link) It seems to me that you will get in hot water only if you display your badge when trying to make an arrest. I hope this helps in some way.

Amendment by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 1506, § 8

V.T.C.A., Government Code § 311.031(c) provides, in part, that the repeal of a statute by a code does not affect an amendment of the statute by the same legislature which enacted the code and that the amendment is preserved and given effect as part of the code provision.

Section 8 of Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 1506, eff. Sept. 1, 1999, adds § 43A of Vernon's Ann.Civ.St. art. 4413(29bb) [now this section] without reference to the repeal of said article by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 388, § 6(a). As so added, § 43A reads:

"Execution of Capias or Arrest Warrant on Behalf of Surety on Bail Bond; Offense

"Sec. 43A. (a) A private investigator executing a capias or an arrest warrant on behalf of a surety on a bail bond may not:

"(1) enter a residence without the consent of the occupants;

"(2) execute the capias or warrant without written authorization from the surety;

"(3) wear, carry, or display any uniform, badge, shield, or other insignia or emblem that implies that the private investigator is an employee, officer, or agent of the federal government, the state, or a political subdivision of the state; or

"(4) notwithstanding Section 9.51, Penal Code, use deadly force.

"(b) Notwithstanding Subsection (a)(3) of this section, a private investigator may display identification that indicates that the person is acting on behalf of a surety on a bail bond.

"(c) A private investigator executing a capias or an arrest warrant on behalf of a surety on a bail bond shall immediately take the person arrested to:

"(1) if the arrest is made in the county in which the capias or warrant was issued:

"(A) the county jail for that county if:

"(i) the offense is a Class A or Class B misdemeanor or a felony; or

"(ii) the offense is a Class C misdemeanor and the capias or warrant was issued by a magistrate of that county; or

"(B) the municipal jail for the appropriate municipality if the offense is a Class C misdemeanor and the capias or warrant was issued by a magistrate of the municipality; or

"(2) if the arrest is made in a county other than the county in which the capias or warrant was issued, the county jail for the county in which the arrest is made.

"(d) A person commits an offense if the person violates this section. An offense under this section is a state jail felony."

Donna Reagan is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified
    . . . does the state require me to register with them also.
    The state of Texas does not require you to register with them for working as a private investigator, unless you are going to personally advertise your name as a private investigator to solicit the public for assignments.

If you are in a trainee program, through IPIU, you will be referred to firms who are already licensed or are exempt from licensing, and already have cases that do not require you to solicit.

And last if you read the complete Texas statutes, there are numerous exemptions to the law that does NOT require an individual private investigators license.

As a trainee, your first objective is to get trained and not to solicit the public for cases that you are inexperienced in. Get the on-the-job training by working with firms that already have clients and cases, and think about going out on your own after a few years of experience.

Donna Reagan is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified
    . . . if i got stopped by a police officer and he seen the badge while getting my drivers license out , would i get arrested for impersonating a officer or private investigator>
    No.

There are several other states that you are lawfully perform private investigations without a license, while still a resident of Texas. (One is nearby Colorado).

Who is to say you cannot carry your credentials for other states no matter where you are?

Again, it comes down to three (3) questions:

a) If you are working as a private investigator for a law firm or other type of agency that is exempt from Texas licensing for private investigators, then it does not matter you are carrying a badge as an employee of that law firm. You are not advertising yourself personally as a private investigator for hire to the public.

b) If you are assigned to work cases for out of state firms and carry a badge for them, then who is to say you cannot possess a badge? Texas law allows you to investigator for hire without a license on out-of-state cases from your phone, internet, etc.

c) Just because you possess a badge that also says "Case Examiner", it does not mean you are impersonating a law enforcement officer. And as long as you are not impeprsonating a "licensed Texs Private Investigator" (by working for an exempt agency or attorney), there is no impersonation.

For more information on the carrying of the badge, please click on the following forum link:

Click Here: Carrying a Badge as a Trainee

Question Agencies exempt from licenses?

Originally posted by Donna Reagan

If you are working as a private investigator for a law firm or other type of agency that is exempt from Texas licensing for private investigators, then it does not matter you are carrying a badge as an employee of that law firm. You are not advertising yourself personally as a private investigator for hire to the public.

Can you please give me examples of other types of agencies that are exempt from Texas licenses? Are all the agencies that IPIU refer to "exempt" from licensing?

Finally, this is what I was looking for. I'm not in Texas but this answered a lot of questions. Thanks you.