Thread: Pi license needed for employment background checks?

Pi license needed for employment background checks?

Hello,

I would like to know if you need a PI license in order to run background checks for employment? My plan is to open a small business offering background checks or "employment screening" services but I am unsure if a license is needed.

Donna Reagan is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified

Re: Pi license needed for employment background checks?

Quote Originally Posted by George Saname View Post
    Hello,

I would like to know if you need a PI license in order to run background checks for employment? My plan is to open a small business offering background checks or "employment screening" services but I am unsure if a license is needed.
    When you become a paid member of IPIU, you will be issued a PI Union License and other resources where you can perform background checks without a state PI License. The more professional database companies (there are three national database companies) require a state PI License, but IPIU members have additional resources to get access by using a different easier to acquire permission.

Also, IPIU can assist you in setting up a professional website where your customers can purchase different levels of background checks. The more detailed employment checks can also be sub-contracted out to another IPIU member where you can receive a commission.

Donna Reagan
    Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

John Sanderson is offline Lifetime Member

Corporate Agency Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Re: Pi license needed for employment background checks?

Quote Originally Posted by George Saname View Post
    Hello,

I just wanted to voice, what Donna posted above is completely true.

As an individual you'll find you only have access to what I call "Data Dumps". These are systems such as Intellius where i am listed as having an Arrest Warrant in Illinois, a state I've never been in. When I called the Illinois State Police to verify the warrant and inquire of it's purpose and cause, I learned the Warrant didn't exist.

To most, a "Data Dump" is a database that collects information without verifying the accuracy of the information. In the case above, inaccurate information is contained within that database.

Within the higher levels of the forums, reserved for paid fraternal members, are methods for testing databases, which databases are recommended, and which ones are not. Also contained in the higher forums is how to conduct these services with or without a license.

Getting a license to qualify for the top three Restricted Access Databases is simple and inexpensive. The IPIU, to my knowledge, has a close relationship with at least one of the top three, to streamline access to it's members.