Thread: Using a Badge that says "PI" in Michigan

Gaetano Martinez is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Thumbs up

Hats off to Kanda. She made a very good point.

Kanda, I have alist of every security & investigation agency up to the point that I bought that list.

They sell those lists for only 10.00 dollars. You can have them mailed, but I was in Oakland County and I thought it was worth the 2 hour drive. So if you are interested contact the private security & investigation bureau of the MI STATE POLICE.

FYI The MSP only has 3 of their people that inforce those laws. It was 2 but they added a 3rd last year.
    You are right about the words private investigator written on the badge. But don't sweat it. IPIU would not steer you wrong. IPIU are not stupid people, and I think they know about investigation at a much higher level then the MSP.

I suggest a shield that has your own DBA "Doing Business As" and selecting a title that does not have requirements under MI state law.

EX: In Michigan a "Fugitive Enforcement Agent" Does NOT need to be licensed.

Me personally since I am good at it my shield I was using before I met IPIU has the words IADC "Special Profiler" If you read MI State Law it specificaly states what a PI is.

In MI it is a play on words. See you do not have to be licensed to look at a "File Folder" Which is where "Case Examiner" comes from but, If you are referred to an agency by IPIU and you are working for that agency via referral

[ In MI if you are doing so "You do not need to be licensed" B/C they would consider you working under the agency's license. ]

So since you have an ID that also says IPIU which is not based in MI, MI cannot touch you if you are working under someone's license (which you would be).

If you have any questions, please e-mail me I would be glad to outline MI law, I have been doing investigation and profiling for 8 years and I know alot of MI about security and investigation.

Another last example. if someone in MI wants to use lights. Green is not even listed. Purple is usually for funerals, but MI law does not state that anyone else could not use it.

So my vechile has hidden purple, green, and white strobes on it. If I am obeying all signs & signals, and I am going the legal speed.... there is not a MI peace officer that can touch me.

Hope to hear from you soon
    Profiler Gaetano Minnella
    INSP. Gaetano Martinez S.A.O

Question

Thank you for a very interesting topic.

I'm especially interested in the use of lights, too. Has an officer ever questioned you as to your purpose for using the off-color light strobes? If not, has anyone ever questioned you?

Gaetano Martinez is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Use of lights

Originally posted by Patricia Rogers
    Thank you for a very interesting topic.

I'm especially interested in the use of lights, too. Has an officer ever questioned you as to your purpose for using the off-color light strobes? If not, has anyone ever questioned you?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Michigan A "Private Security Guard" / License holder may use amber lights [HINT: amber is orange & yellow is yellow. Get it?] On the property they are protecting.

The thing about "Amber {Orange}" Is that on "Public Streets" Anybody can use "Amber" Ex: Neighborhood Watch & Courtesy Patrol. two famous things on a Michgan Highway, but if you are employed by a "Security License Holder" you are not them. You are a Private Security Guard/Employee, which are not allowed to use "Amber" "While Moving" on a Michigan highway.

Now, if I pull over to help someone then light up after I stop, that is okay b/c I was not moving. Where if you use colors that are not even mentioned in the laws, they cannot charge you if it is not aganist the law EX: There is no law.

Green used to be for "Certified Security Guards", but they took that off the law books long time ago. So "Green is fair game".

Nobody has said too much at all, because I have not done alot of courtesy patrol work for awhile, but the basic thing law enforcement really cares in MI is that;

1) You are not trying to replace them. HEHE They love those 100.00 Blackington Badges up there my friend.

and

2) As long as you specify that "You are not the police" somewhere down the line (AND DOCUMENT EVERYTHING) they cannot do a thing to you.

Profiler Gaetano Minnella
    INSP. Gaetano Martinez S.A.O