Thread: How do I obtain a License in NC?

JoshuaPassmore Guest

Cool

My names Josh and I have applied for the trainee program and I was wondering, How do I get a PI License in North Carolina?

Originally posted by JoshuaPassmore
    My names Josh and I have applied for the trainee program and I was wondering, How do I get a PI License in North Carolina?

Hello Josh ! Welcome to the Forum.

In North Carolina to become a Licensed Private Investigator you are required to have the following:

"Three (3) years experience within the past five (5) years in private investigative work, OR three (3) years within the past five (5) years in an investigative capacity as a member if a law enforcement agency.
    (Section .0401)."

If, after reviewing the above requirements, you determine that you qualify, you must then submit the following (use this as a check list):
    [list=A][*] Two (2) complete application forms[*] One (1) completed fingerprint card (all data must be completed)[*] Two (2) recent head and shoulder color photographs
    (no Polaroid SX-70 or Kodak Pr-10), 1 x 1 inch[*] Proof of high school graduation or equivalency certificate[*] DD 214 (if veteran or discharge)[*] $150.00 application fee (non refundable and made payable to "Private Protective Services Board")[*] Authorization of release of records form[*] Statement of a local criminal history check from the Clerk of Court's Office or the City/County Bureau of Identification from each county of residence within the past 60 months. (Must be current)[*] $5.oo check or money order payable to the SBI for each State Computerized Criminal Record Check.[/list=A]

Hope this answers your licensing questions.

Wishing you the very best.

Originally posted by JoshuaPassmore
    I, too, welcome you to the Private Investigators Forums.

If you're in the trainee program, you will be placed with agencies or firms under their license or authority to do assignments. While you are gaining the experience, those hours can be applied towards your individual license when you are ready to apply.

In the meantime, please read all there is to read here in all the forums. Some of the training for agencies may be covered in other forums if you are assigned to them.

Thank you for the information for the state of NC. I really do appreciate it a lot.

Have a good weekend.
    Allen

Badge #5780