Thread: State Licensing Requirements: Private Investigators

THERE MAY BE 2 OR MORE PAGES
    to this Topic!

Make sure you click on the Page Number at
    the bottom and top of this Topic.

Originally posted by Christine Palomo-Anderson

Jeannie,

The Photo ID and Credentials is your picture Id. This is not a license. It is your identification card.

In order to obtain a PI License one must take a test. There are certain requirements one must meet. It may take 2-3 years to obtain a license, depending on the state you reside. Some states don't require a license.

I hope this reply clears things up for you. I know how it feels to be confused.

Jeannie,

I took the liberty to check the licensing requirements for your State of Rhode Island. The page is quite brief. It says:

" It is not necessary for a private investigator to be licensed in the State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. Please contact your local cities and municipalities for business licensing procedures".

Best of luck to you.

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    I believe some local police stations in Maine offer a license for $25 a year with no prior experience necessary.

David

Michael French Guest

Question state req.

was wondering where to look up my state req. seen that C. Palomo-Anderson knows how any help there?

Question

For what state?

Smile Re: state req.

Originally posted by M. French
    was wondering where to look up my state req. seen that C. Palomo-Anderson knows how any help there?

Hello M. French.

I would be more than happy to help you. Please respond with the name of the state of your interest.

My ability to help our P.I. peer Jeannie with her state requirement came from a book that I had purchased,
    " Requirements To Become A P.I. In The 50 States And Elsewhere".

I ordered the book from the Catalog, which you will find in the back of your training manual. When I ordered the book last month. I was told this particular book, was no longer in print, but the Catalog company had 2 copies of this book left on their shelf after my purchase.

There are other books that you will find to help you. I don't want to steer this topic off course, so to redirect you on books, return to the P.I. forum home page and you will see a topic for books, videos and the like. Click on and read some very valuable information.

I will check periodically to see if you respond with the name of your state.

Talk to you soon.

Michael French Guest

Wink ooops

hmmm...yeah I suppose telling you what state would help now wouldn't it...IL...

Thumbs up Re: ooops

Originally posted by M. French
    hmmm...yeah I suppose telling you what state would help now wouldn't it...IL...
    Hello M. French.

The state of Illinois Requirement to become a licensed P.I. is as follows:

You must have at least 3 years work expereince out of the five years immediately preceding examination application, working full-time for a licensed private detective agency as a registered private detective employee; OR

You must have 3 years experience out of the five years immediately preceding the examination application, you must be employed as a full-time investigator in a law enforcement agency of a federal, state or political subdivision, approved by the Department or three years experience out of the five years immediately preceding the application. Employed as a full-time investigator for an attorney at law. (In the case of military experience, you must submit a copy of form DD214).

In either case here, you must submit specific forms along with a copy of your social security card.

If you return to the PI forum home page, click Private Investigators General Discussions. You will find Q & A's regarding the Illinois Statute. As you scroll down in the topics, the Moderator and our peers were kind enough to share additional lengthy information along with links that will provide you with detailed information for Illinois.

I hope that I was of some help.

Best of Luck to you M. French.

How about Wisconsin? what would it take here to be a PI.
    David Small

Originally posted by D.J.Small
    How about Wisconsin? what would it take here to be a PI.

Hello J D Small. I am a resident in the State of Wisconsin too.

Moderator, Robert Donovan was kind of enough to respond to this same inquiry. On April 28, 2001 he provided a complete answer to our questions.

I started a new thread in the Private Investigators General Discussion Section found on the home page.
    There are some great links for additional information, you may find quite interesting. Click on this link.

Wisconsin Statute Please?

Originally posted by Christine Palomo-Anderson

Hello J D Small. I am a resident in the State of Wisconsin too.

Moderator, Robert Donovan was kind of enough to respond to this same inquiry. On April 28, 2001 he provided a complete answer to our questions.

I started a new thread in the Private Investigators General Discussion Section found on the home page.
    There are some great links for additional information, you may find quite interesting. Click on this link.

Wisconsin Statute Please?
    OOOPS! More practice is required. My link will not take you to the topic. I'm sorry for that.

You will need to return to the home page and click onto the Private Investigator General Discussion. Look for the topic entitled "Wisconsin Statute Please?"

Back to the computer testing board I go, while you read all about Wisconsin.

Have a great day.

We thank Christine for her devotion in helping forum members with their questions. However, we had to give her a Topic of her own titled STATE LICENSING REQUIREMENTS in this forum, until such time we can develop a separate forum for ALL licensing (which has been ordered from technical support).

The other topic these replies were in pertained to the IPIU Photo ID Card, and was getting off-topic.

Enjoy.

Darin Biddle is offline *** Certified SPI

Former Moderator:
    Distinguished Member
    Private Investigators Forums

Lightbulb

Thank you for the info. I understand now. Also, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, or not. But, I've seen a few request for individual state licensing requirements. This site might prove useful.

http://www.crimetime.com/licensing.htm
    What you don't know can, and usually does hurt you!
    ~ Darin Biddle ~

Originally posted by Darin Biddle
    Thank you for the info. I understand now. Also, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, or not. But, I've seen a few request for individual state licensing requirements. This site might prove useful.

http://www.crimetime.com/licensing.htm

Darin, You posted your reply in the proper place. Anything to do with State Licensing is accepted here.

I checked out the website and found it to be quite informative. Those members that have an ambition to become licensed may find this website useful. It is most helpful to start with an outline of objectives and have a tentative time frame to reach our licensing goals.

I plan to keep this website as a handy reference too. Thank you for sharing.

RI PI ASSOC

I don't know to much about this association listed on the crimetime.com site; but the address; 345 Harris Ave, is for the Rhode Island Traffic Tribunal and that is a State office. I had asked one of the Capitol Police Officers at that location about it and they never heard of it! I’m not saying it is a bogus association but I am a bit leery of it being where they claim to be located at and no one there seeming to know anything about it!

Just thought I’d share this little bit of information with you!

Indiana laws for licensing

Hi. I am new to this and would like to know the licensing laws for Indiana and any other information pertaining to this state that would help me in my decision. Thank you

Tn. laws

What's the laws for Tn. licensing. I read some were that you need three years. Then I also heard all you have to do is take a test.
    Dean Watkins

William R. Larson - is offline (Retired from Forum Activity)

Former Sr. Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum
    Dean -

A few post prior to yours Darin Biddle posted a thread for CrimeTime.com. I have been to the website and found it very informative.

I went a step further in the website to find the Tennessee information. Here is a direct link to that information (again, which was accessed via CrimeTime.com).

CLICK HERE: Tennessee licensing information

Indiana laws

Hi again. I checked out the page that everyone told me about but Indiana's page was removed (or something) so they could update it. I sent them an e-mail about my question but don't know when I will hear back. In the meantime, here is my question again if anyone knows the answer. I would like to know the licensing laws for Indiana and any other information pertaining to this state that would help me in my decision. Thank you all once again.

Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum Member

Re: Indiana laws

Originally posted by Anne Dawson
    I would like to know the licensing laws for Indiana and any other information pertaining to this state that would help me in my decision. Thank you all once again.
    Anne,

Seems your post got over looked. Now that I've discovered it, let's see if I can get you an answer.
    I believe you will find an active link in another topic in this forum. Here's the link. Click here: Summary Topic: Links to Licensing Requirements for all States

Be sure to browse and read all topics you have access to. Most questions have been asked and answered here. If time is a factor, try using the Search button to locate topics or posts by entering a search word(s).

Hope to see you on the board.

NY Licensing Info

Below is a cut and paste from the FAQ page for NY State Licensing of PI's. This is a VERY SIMPLE overview! Once you start looking for the rules to getting a license, it get's quite complicated and expensive. Costs range anywhere from $300 - $500 in NON-REFUNDABLE fees just to take the state exam! Licensing here in NY is a major effort. Now I understand why in my city (population 1+ million) there are less than a dozen agencies listed in the yellow pages.

Site URL this was obtained from:
    http://www.dos.state.ny.us/lcns/pimain.html

NYS Department of State Licensing Services

PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR
    FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
    What does a Private Investigator (PI) do?

Generally speaking, a private investigator is hired to obtain information regarding the identity, habits, conduct, movements, whereabouts, affiliations, associations, transactions, reputation, or character of any person or group of persons. A private investigator may also conduct investigations regarding the credibility of witnesses; the whereabouts of missing persons; the location of missing persons; the location or recovery of lost or stolen property; and the causes and origin of- or responsibility for- fires, libels, or losses.
    What are the requirements of licensure?

You must be 25 years of age and a principal in the business entity to be licensed. Additionally, as the individual possessing the expertise to oversee the day-to-day conduct of investigations, you must have passed the private investigator examination within the two years immediately prior to your application date and have either three years experience or three years equivalent position and experience.
    What do the terms "experience" and "equivalent position and experience" mean?

"Experience" is defined as three years of full-time investigative experience as a proprietary investigator, employee of a licensed private investigator, or an investigator in a government investigative agency or police agency.
    "Equivalent experience" is defined as three years in a position where the primary duties were to conduct investigations, or three years of experience supervising and reviewing the work of at least three persons performing investigations, or New York State police officers or fire marshals with 20 years of service irrespective of title.

If I have an employment agency license, can I also obtain a PI license?

No. If you have an employment agency license, or are a member of a partnership, or an officer or a holder of any stock in a corporation, or have any financial interest or participation in the control and management of any employment agency, you are NOT eligible to hold a PI WGP license.
    Must I be fingerprinted to obtain my license?

Yes. All applicants must be fingerprinted. The fingerprint fee is $50.
    How do I obtain additional information?

You may contact the Division of Licensing Services by mail at 84 Holland Avenue, Albany, NY 12208, or by phone at (518) 474-4429.

Question State exam???

Does anyone happen to know what the state test are like? I live in Iowa.
    Are they multiple choice?
    How many questions are there?
    How many wrong answers are allowed?
    Is there a time limit?

thanks in advance,

Burt DuQuette

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Parsons
    I don't know to much about this association listed on the crimetime.com site; but the address; 345 Harris Ave, is for the Rhode Island Traffic Tribunal and that is a State office. I had asked one of the Capitol Police Officers at that location about it and they never heard of it! I’m not saying it is a bogus association but I am a bit leery of it being where they claim to be located at and no one there seeming to know anything about it!

Just thought I’d share this little bit of information with you!
    Hello Mark
    Just wondering if you found anything else about Having to be Licensed as a PI in Rhode Island , wanted to know my steps on being futive recovery agent as well . That is my goal im after

Thank you

David

What are the laws regarding PI in KY? Do you need a license?

Lisa Frye - is offline Certified SPI
    Licensed Private Investigator

Moderator (On Leave of Absence)
    Sr. Distinguished Union Member
    Kevin,

Check out the following link. Hope this helps you!

Lisa

Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Frye
    Kevin,

Check out the following link. Hope this helps you!

Lisa

Kentucky
    That was very helpful of you.

You may wish to consider Moderator Training and the extra benefits that come with it. Click here: http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3039

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia Ford
    That was very helpful of you.

You may wish to consider Moderator Training and the extra benefits that come with it. Click here: http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3039
    Thank you Cynthia and I see a welcome back is in order?

I sent an email a few weeks ago stating I would be intereseting in the training but have'nt yet heard anything back. Maybe you could check out the status of that for me!!

Take care,

Lisa

Nevada Licensing

I recently passed my P.I. test and was offered an anti-piracy project (my first and I'm thrilled!!). I was wondering what is necessary to be licensed in Nevada? Thanks!!

Ronald Ashton

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Ashton
    I recently passed my P.I. test and was offered an anti-piracy project (my first and I'm thrilled!!). I was wondering what is necessary to be licensed in Nevada? Thanks!!

Ronald Ashton
    Nevada

I would like to know who i have to contact in order to receive a 2005 Private investigators training manual, and where would i take the test once i finish
    and also do you know of a agency that would assist me in finding employment once i'm licensed.
    Last edited by DJ Moran --; 04-29-2006 at 05:58 AM.