BECOME A PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR

Trainee Professional Members of the
    International Private Investigators Union
    RECEIVE the FOLLOWING BENEFITS:

FREE ACADEMIC TRAINING
    FREE PI UNION LICENSE
    FREE ASSIGNMENTS, EMPLOYER, AND CASES

REQUEST A FREE GUEST PASSWORD ACCOUNT AT THE FOLLOWING LINK:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/register.php?

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    BBB A+ Rating Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 21st Year Serving 41,932 Members
    CALL IPIU TODAY TO JOIN: 406-534-0251

INSTRUCTIONS
    FOR FREE PASSWORD:

If this is your first time here for applying for a FREE User Name and FREE password,

Then click here:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/register.php?action=signup

1. In the above application link you will be asked to chose a First and Last name as your assigned User Name.

2. It will also ask you for driver's license information to prove you are an adult.

3. After you complete the online application, an email will be automatically dispatched to you to verify your email address, which will require you to click on a special email link.

4. After you have verified the automated email we send you, please allow an hour or two during a normal business day to your finalize the password to become activated.

5. A welcome email containing Newcomer Instructions will be emailed to you.

6. All information you provide for your password is protected under federal guidelines to insure your privacy.

Once your User Name and Password has been approved, then proceed with Instruction Items #2 & #3 in the following link:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5008

We received this general email from a prospective union member asking what the requirements are for Private Investigator Trainees.

He writes:

"I would like to know some of the requirements of working as a private investigator in my area.

1) Will you require a high school diploma?

2) Will I have to take a test for the state?

3) Will you train me?

4) How much real world wages will be?"
    Answers:

1) A high school diploma is no longer required, and neither is a GED. But you do need to have a high school reading, English, and basic math level because of the reports you will be filing at the conclusion of your assignments. (We have found that some high school graduates cannot spell or perform basic math skills, so the official requirement has been dropped.)

2) No state test, but there is an open-book examination you will take when you have received your training manual. We are more concerned with your general understanding in performance because most of the training is on-the-job. We also offer a free option to help you obtain a state private investigators license, including setting up your own agency.

3) Free Academic Training will be provided to union members through IPIU's free Basic Training and Advanced Manuals, free annual subscriptions to SEVEN (7) NEW FREE Investigative Subscriptions! (Revised), free access to over 150 private passcode forums, as well as other additional benefits. On-the-job paid training will be provided by the agencies we have listed in the private members forums, plus by all the Executive Private Investigation Agencies (see forum menu).

Go here: http://www.privateinvestigator.cc/index.php?cPath=67

5) You are more valuable working part-time for six to ten agencies at $20 to $45 per hour than working all of your hours for only one agency. IPIU does not prescreen any applicant for under $20 per hour, with the national average at $28 per hour or more, unless it is a long term assignment, such as undercover or surveillance (which nationally may earn a trainee $15-$25 per hour.)

SUMMARY:
    IPIU provides it all for newcomers!

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    I will add that there has been a 40% increase in agencies that will train on-the-job. It seems our industry is bursting at the seams for those agencies and firms that are "progressive". A progressive agency is quite different from a small agency that only wants to stay small.

Originally posted by Shangz R Brown
    What is a progressive agency compared to a non-progressive agency?

What are the specific traits that make a progressive agency?
    An expanding agency that uses all of the new technology to go national and international.
    David Copeland
    Administrator
    Private Investigators Forums

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum Member

Re: OTJ training for trainees

Originally posted by Eddie Robertson
    Just so I think I'm reading this correctly, the otj training will actually be with someone that works for an ageny that we are assigned to. We are not just gonna be "thrown to the dogs" and get eaten alive then. Right?
    Correct.

Each agency has their own trainers. You will always have someone to rely on for questions. You may communicate via email or telephone. Rest assured there are no intentions to "throw you to the dogs".

In order to be a good investigator, you must build a solid foundation. You will be taught to crawl, walk and eventually run in this field, all at your own pace. The best support you can have is the family members on this board. Get acquainted here and you'll feel our confidence grow.

Originally posted by Michelle Hanulik
    Our availability that we submit will open the doors for what assignments to be sent. (Meaning: if we say we're available for evenings only we will then only be sent assignments to be done in evening hours etc). Is this all correct so far?
    In a nut shell, yes. Your time schedule may change so you may get offered assignments for various other time slots. You may decide if you wish to accept or decline. There are lots of assignments that can be performed and completed at your convenience.

Check out this topic for other information on the Availability Form.
    Click here: The Availability Form? What hours can I choose to work?

Originally posted by Conrad Reid
    is it possible to work for more then one agency at a time? i just want to ensure that i can work 40 hours a week, now you say it's best to work for more then one agency is that because when you complete one assignment that you will have another one waiting for you to work on?
    Conrad,

In most cases, you will make better money working for multiple agencies. It may also be possible to have more than one case working at the same time.

Check out the Trainee Questions & Answers forum. You find a couple topics on the subject.

Also, be sure to read the following topic and follow the instructions.

Click here: Newcomer? What to do FIRST!

Originally posted by Michelle Hanulik
    What the question was that I was thinking was once I give my availability as evenings and weekend (or whatever they may be) to be able to work around my regular job until I get into the swing of things and get my feet wet, how do I then switch over to also doing days? So that I can be working fulltime so to speak. Even if it is for several different agencies and different assignments.
    Michelle,

When your schedule changes, you can print off a new Assignment Availability Schedule from the Download forum. Then just fax it to IPIU and your record will be updated. I would suggest not faxing a change in unless your available hours change drastically. We all have schedules that change for various reasons.

Keep in mind that you will have the chance to accept or decline assignments if they don't work around your schedule. You may be able to accept an assignment while your on vacation.

Originally posted by Robert Smith
    Can anyone tell me how the investigation agencies, that IPIU places trainees in, decide who they want to have a part of their team to bring in and train? Do they look for certain criteria for trainees or how does all of this work?
    The very basics of investigation can be learned on this board, observation and reporting.

Basic reporting is actually learning to communicate effectively through writing.

Observation encompasses many things but I like to say it's all in the details.

Learning to navigate this board, reading everything you have access to will put you on the right step.

By the time you are getting referrals, you will have the basics (which should include a teachable attitude) and the agencies will have no problem accepting you as a trainee.

Hope this answers your question, Robert.

Re: NEWBE

Originally posted by Bill Hartiman
    What does it mean when ipiu says you have been placed?
    IPIU has 8 different union membership programs, including one titled Placement Membership which is only available in selected areas where there is ample opportunity to prequalify for preplacement with several firms based on minimum requirements (age, no warrants, education).

Details are here:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=3285

However, most newcomers choose to join IPIU under either the Preferred Membership or the Management Membership.

Click here:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=6542

Originally posted by Walter C. Smith
    Anyone
    According to my state, North Carolina, I have to apply to them with fingerprints, etc. before I can become a Private Investigator Trainee.
    Yes and no.

They are referring private investigators who will be advertising for clients.

There are 14 different areas of private investigations that they do not license for.

Click here:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=520

IPIU helps it's members in qualifying for owning their agency in No Carolina and other states in the Members Only Forum.

For now, you can work within the 14 unregulated areas mentioned.

Originally posted by Michael Levy
    Is there anything specific that you need to do to get assignmennts besides going through the process and paperwork necessary.
    Thanks,
    Mike L.
    The more active you are on the forums you have access too, the easier it will be when you gain Level 4 access to the other forums. Internet skills, forum software, email, and writing skills here will help you get more assignments too.
    Technical Support
    Administrator

Originally posted by Glenn N Klipp
    But the question remains: do I still have to interview with these agencies, or do I just show up for work?
    STEP 1:
    All of the agencies IPIU endorse in the Level 4 Passcode areas of this website have agreed to accept applications from union members who have been granted Level 4 access and passed successfully the required merits to work for those agencies. This is known as a pre-approved employment or work application, and no formal interview is required. You simply complete the agency's pre-approved application for your territory. But there are specific IPIU instructions you MUST follow in order to gain enough work to meet your earning goals.

If you have Level 4 Access, then read the IPIU Instructions: Click Here

If you just apply for one or two agencies, that will not be enough because you need to be on board with all fifty (50) agencies in order to group up multiple assignments to earn the combined income you expect. (Think in terms of how an attorney has 200 clients at the same time, where some clients have short cases and others have more profitable ones)

STEP 2:
    Once you have followed the above advice, worked several independent assignments, and have received very good earnings, and you wish to work ONLY for ONE agency, then IPIU will upgrade you to the 2nd Phase where you will go on prearranged interviews with agencies that IPIU will arrange for you. This will be located around the area that you live in (preferably large cities). Although you may get hired on the first interview, they generally have many more agencies to choose from, if one doesn't fit you then another might. What can't be guaranteed is a personality match between you and the agency. If that becomes a problem, then back off and learn how to improve your attitude or personality. But in the end after you have done all you can, you should be satisfied and employed.

UPGRADE OPTION:
    Start your own PI Agency through IPIU, get licensed within 5-6 weeks with IPIU's new sponsorship program where a local licensed private investigator will sponsor your new PI Agency, and you never have to worry about working for someone else or applying for someone elses work at a fraction of what you can earn an the owner of your own PI Agency. As an owner you can charge up to $250 per hour, and have the full help of an experienced and license private investigator on your team. It costs money to set up your headquarter agency, starting at $299. If you have a free Level 1 account on this website, read the details: Click Here

I hope this answered your question and if not then Admin or a Mod will be by to assist you. Have a great day.................and don't let your guard down everything will be OK!. We are here to help you in anyway possible.

Aloha,
    Sunya N. Nardo

With A Power Greater Than Yourself
    All Things Is Possible.........

Badge# 6821

... do I still have to interview with these agencies, or do I just show up for work?
    It depends on what you wish to do. Both are available. But "showing up for work" has changed since the Internet, email, and phone have changed the way assignments and training are dished out.

The details are not discussed in the Level 1 forums. In the meantine you have a lot of reading, discussing, and participation to go through as your Levels are increased.
    I was told that you earn the avatar through quality writing.
    Not necessarily. There are several factors in the Award of the IPIU Seal. The above link will help. But anyone that is not an "Administrator" on the forums should not be offering personal opinions, unless they are stated based on an approved Topic.

How does one acquire quality writing? Is this by completing all of the writing posts in that forum?
    Click here:
    http://ipiu.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=126

Yolanda Quizhpi Guest

Fifty-two areas in investigations

Hello Forum Members,

The 52- areas of investigations - - might seem alot at first glance. But, only requirements are; Patience, understanding, knowledge, making time for clients, communication, listening to what is actually being said and what the client wants - - and getting the facts only.

No personal opinions. No shortcuts and doing it in a timely manner.

Can you become a great investigator? The answer is definately yes.

By applying all that you are reading, learning, doing and communicating with the forums you will be of to a great start.

Good luck new comers as well as members.

Re: placement application

Originally posted by Jacki Harrell
    I'm feeling rather stupid. Can someone please tell me where I can get the placement application? Thanks!
    Details on membership here:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=6542

Online membership options here:
    http://www.privateinvestigators.cc/i...254149effa6152

Home Page:
    http://www.ipiu.org/

Cheers,

Note to all:

For those who have been posting off-topic comments in this thread titled General Requirements for Private Investigator Trainees , your comments have been archived.

For some of you, this has been the third time posting comments in a specific topic that causes the original discussion to go off target. Please abide by the forum rules.

We have over 100,000 topics on the forums, all titled to the Subject.

And remember, personal details of your file progress and assignments are not to be discussed in any of the forums outside of the Level 4 areas.

Thank you for your support.
    Technical Support
    Administrator

Clinton, Michael and Angela,

First, it's great to have you with us at IPIU. I started back in August and just reached level 4. It will not take you long, either!

It's great that you are so enthusiastic, and you can rest assured that you are among many who are willing to help you.

I know that everyone says to have patience and to read, and that it is difficult to contain the excitement as you embark on a rewarding career.

Here are some suggestions I hope will help you and others reading this topic:

1. Remember, you will find most of your answers in the forums. Browse through all the forums you have access to. Sometimes the answers are in posts you may not expect.
    Thousands have already had the same feelings and questions you have now, and you can take advantage of reading their posts, knowing many of us have felt this way.

2. Savor each step - don't be so anxious (I know it's hard), because you have earned progressing to the next level. It will happen anyway, if you are serious, so let yourself boast a while and you'll soon be on your way! Pat yourself on the back! Smile and know you are doing something great for yourself! Enjoy and relish in your accomplishment before you rush to the next one. Next thing you know, you won't be anxious, and ideas will come to you on how to pass the time!

3. Try surfing the internet to find topics that will help you in the fields you are interested in. There's alot of information everywhere, in the forums, and the web. Read some laws, case studies, check out some private investigator's web sites, PI equipment, etc. You'll pick up tips that will help you later.

4. Using the "search" button is great advice, (thank's Sunya!). Try different types of wording to see how effective and close to the mark you come to find your answers!

When you look back a couple of years from now, I hope you will find your memories of this time a joyful and rewarding one!

Regards and best of luck to you,

David Copeland is offline Administrator

Sponsored by:
    Originally posted by Michael Levy
    I'm waiting. Just wondering when do you need to pay for dues.

Thanks,
    Mike L.

Email usa@ipiu.org and ask them if you can prepay your union dues to expedite your manual and PI Magazine Subscription. Or, you can continue to go through fingerprinting and processing and wait until after you are credentialed to take care of your union dues.

Union Membership Dues Options can also be paid online here:
    http://www.privateinvestigators.cc/i...40d23c1791ac92

TO ALL:

Please keep your comments here on-topic and try to avoid off-topic remarks that should be discussed in the other designated forums and topics.

Thank you,

David

Linda Manning is offline Law Offices of Attorney Services
    National Office

Law Firm Member Agency of:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary J Self
    I am some what confused ,, does one pay the 79.00 and the 89.00 for the prefered or does one have to buy both??
    Most of our employees who are IPIU members just pay the $89 or $129 membership because they are licensed private investigator. Unlicensed private investigators or trainees can have IPIU perform the clearances for the one time amount of $79 (or $93 for Priority).

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy Brown

I'm interested in the Placement Membership ...
    The Placement Membership has been changed to a 2-payment item for unlicensed private investigators:

1) Register first for either Standard or Priority here:
    http://www.privateinvestigators.cc/i...bda6729d81590e

2) Then choose an IPIU Preferred or Management Membership here:
    http://www.privateinvestigators.cc/index.php?cPath=67

Or, just do Number 1 and they will bill you later for the Preferred or Management Membership. It does delay the shipping of your training manual by a month, but it does allow you to break up the payments a little.

DJ Moran -- is offline Sr. Moderator:
    (On Leave of Absence)

Certified Distinguished Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Vickey Lightcap
    I have come across two seperate areas that state that this site will help people to receive FREE information on becomming a PI trainee. Please refer me to the area.
    The only area I have found you must order the info for $70.

Thanks,
    Vickey Lightcap
    Vickey, Here are some links to answer some of the questions you may be having.Hope these help. Also, welcome aboard. "DJ"

Our Mission Statement:
    Mission Statement & Privacy Statement

Newcomers Do This First
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=3734

Online Electronic Registration for non-licensed private investigators, including Standard & Prioity Options:
    http://IPIU Private Investigators Ph...istration Link

Review, Choose, & Order Membership Link

Make sure you post an introduction in the Forum Member Introduction's Lounge!

Review, Choose, & Order Membership Link

New Express Membership & Photo-Credentials Program:
    Get your free training manual now!

Thomas J Nicol is offline Ambassador of Good Will
    International Private Investigators Union

Sr. Distinguished Member

Post Posts removed for archiving

Members and Guests:

Off topic and non-essential posts have been removed to archive.

Please refrain from posting any of the following types of posts or replies: off-topic, non-essential, personal emails, welcome to new members, or anything that could be construed as “Questions to be asked in a member's personal Introduction Topic”. This topic is primarily to instruct in Requirements: Private Investigator Trainees.

Please read the posts left in place. The information should instruct you on the Topic. Additional information may be located in the many threads within the PUBLIC DISCUSSION FORUMS > Union Association News:
    Membership Benefits >

You may post to each other in the level 4 Chit Chat thread, or the Chat Forum .

Other questions and comments may be posted from within your own Introduction Topics, where Forum Trainers and Moderators can best direct you and answer your questions.

Thank you for your cooperation.

I recieved my ID. My state does not alow for a badge. I just wanted to know how much an Id holder would cost? I am sending back my code of ethics. How do you become licensed? It says on my Id card that your not. after you pay your membership? I want to be able to get into level 4 access.

Scott

Hi Scott

Glad to be of assistance. IPIU will send you an application. Fill it out, get fingerprinted, and get two picture ID cards made up. Mail it in with the fee $29.00 for fingerprinting there are some more fees it will be included witjh your application. Pick your membership out. and that is where I am now. I am waiting for my level 4 access.

Hope this will help.
    Scott

Hello Scott F.

I thank you for your help. I am unsure on how they can send me an application if they do not have my address. So I guess I need to know how to get an app. Do they show where and how to get 2 pic ID made? How do you become a level 4 or even level 1 to start? I really appreciate your time and effort in helping me out. Thank you!

Scott C.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Fishman
    I recieved my ID. My state does not alow for a badge.
    Not so. Read the Badge Forum for your state. The custom badge is for use in all states provided an approved business card is used with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott A. Cassady
    Hello Scott F.

I thank you for your help. I am unsure on how they can send me an application if they do not have my address. So I guess I need to know how to get an app. Do they show where and how to get 2 pic ID made? How do you become a level 4 or even level 1 to start? I really appreciate your time and effort in helping me out. Thank you!

Scott C.
    Membership is available online with the use of a credit card or check. Click here:
    http://www.privateinvestigators.cc/i...665989dc7e8e9b

Or, if you have no checking account or credit card:
    go to http://www.ipiu.org/register/

That is great information...As a Level 4 member in California, I hold out that I am a Case Examiner and not yet a PI...I located a law office to with and will gain valuable hours...How many hours are required and what credentials from IPIU will allow me to state I am A PI?
    Charles Ivan King

Thanks folks I am well on my way know.

Arrow I need advice!

Quote Originally Posted by David Copeland
    I will add that there has been a 40% increase in agencies that will train on-the-job. It seems our industry is bursting at the seams for those agencies and firms that are "progressive". A progressive agency is quite different from a small agency that only wants to stay small.

Hello David,

My current job offers on the job training as a detective investigator. I tried to apply at my job as a detective investigator but they required me to have a Bachelors degree. Now my question to you is why do they require a bachelors degree to become a detective investigator? They also told me the BA degree is required for all detective investigators because they have to carry a gun...Please help me out here...I only have my associates degree and this is something I have always wanted to become. I am in the process to finish my bachelors in Criminal Justice. I will do what ever it takes to becoming an Investigator. Also if it is not required to have a BA then what other agencies in the New York area would hire as an investigator with an Associates?

Regards,

Sonia Lachhman

PI requirements in West Virginia

My questions is what are the requirements to become a PI in the State of West Virginia.
    Will I receive any study materials in the mail.
    How long will it take to began working in the field of Investigations.
    I would like to be up and running within the next couple of weeks, is that possible.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Bill

Jerome O Isaac-- is offline Sr. Distinguished Member:

2007 Honorary Ambassador of Good Will
    Greetings William, here is a link to the forum with the information you need, from there you can scroll down the screen until you see your state and then click on it.

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...+West+Virginia

Hope this helps.

Have a great day.

Now that I have filled out my application. What comes next as far getting my PI licenses in Colorado?

Lisa Frye - is offline Certified SPI
    Licensed Private Investigator

Moderator (On Leave of Absence)
    Sr. Distinguished Union Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Herbert
    Now that I have filled out my application. What comes next as far getting my PI licenses in Colorado?
    Hi Terry,

Please author yourself an introduction in the New Members Intro Lounge so we can guide you!

New Members Intro Lounge

Smile

I am about to seperate form the USAF and I sent off my fingerprints and fees two weeks ago. I was just wondering if I could work for one agency full time so that I will be stable? I am not sure if I am making the right move right now... Please help.

I'm totally confused with this process. Someone please help

Hello, I am having a very hard time applying for this position, can you help me out. Tank you.

What kind of Info do you need? You may e-mail me . I am new to this but if I can help I will.

Scott

Edited by Moderator: Forum rules

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Herbert

Hello Terry,

Your answer can be found in the licensing laws forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonia Marie Chenault
    Hello, I am having a very hard time applying for this position, can you help me out. Tank you.
    Sonia,

Please follow the link in post #27. This will help you get started.

Quote Originally Posted by Anovia Alvin
    I am about to seperate form the USAF and I sent off my fingerprints and fees two weeks ago. I was just wondering if I could work for one agency full time so that I will be stable? I am not sure if I am making the right move right now... Please help.
    Please ask this question by posting it in your Introduction Topic where the trainers can better direct your inquiry to the existing titled topics that answer your question. Thank you for your support.

Lisa

I am in the process of exploring the forums and deciding whether or not I want to register in the trainee program.

Meantime, my daughter's fiance', who is a police officer in (and citizen of) Australia, is coming to the U.S. and is interested in the PI training. He is not a U.S. citizen. Can he do the training?

Some criticism: As a former adjunct university professor, journalist, book author, and law graduate, I am finding these forums very scattered and confusing. After weeks of exploring these topics, I still have no clear idea what the best route is for me to take. There are simply too many choices and no clear route to learning. As a professional, honestly, give me my choices on the home page: let me pick which route I want to pursue (with the option to backtrack or go back to the home to select another option) and go from there. The difficulty is not a matter of knowing how to navigate. I'd appreciate one place where my choices are all spelled out.

Resume

Who do we write a resume letter to.

I'ed like to send a resume, who do I send it too?

I have question on the Skill Assessment Profile.What are you looking for in the Specialized interests section. Is this area asking for what you want to specialize in. Would like to know before completing package. Thanks.

Geryl Deane

I would like to do Crime Scene Analysis.

I have not seen the Skill Assesment Profile.

Is a private investigator trainee required to carry a badge?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast