Thread: Staying current on the forums - Help please?

Question Staying current on the forums - Help please?

I would really appreciate hearing from anyone and everyone about how you keep up on the new threads and posts every day. Basically, keeping up with what's happening on the forums overall (not just in response to things you post, but just in general). For example, when you check in throughout the day, do you use the "new threads" link; go into each forum area and scan the list of threads and look at update times; diligently click into lots of threads....?

I've read the forum tutorials which are helpful, but I haven't found a good method yet at weeding through all the different posts. I feel like I'm kind of grabbing at different straws and missing out on a lot of stuff. Or when I'm trying to read through the latest additions, it takes quite a bit of time to continually scan each forum, each topic, etc. "Search" is great when I have specific questions, but doesn't help much when I don't know yet what's there that I should be seeing. Does that make any sense?

I'm sure everyone's methods are varied, but I sure would appreciate any tips you're willing to share.

Hi Teresa,

I actually sat down for a number of hours one weekend and read through every post..

After that, when I come back to the website I click on Private Investigators Forum, and where it say's Welcome back, Teresa underneath you'll find View New Post's
    If you click on that it will list the newest posts since your last visit. Unfortunately, if you close your browser and immediatly try it again you will lose that prior list, since it only list since your last logon. I try and do this every evening to stay up to date. Hope this helps

Good Luck

Paul Burleigh

I use the color coded icons to the left of the forums and topics to see which ones have new content.

Michael and Paul, thank you so much for responding! Your tips are indeed helpful. I've tried componants of what you both said, or kind of mixing up my methods, and I think that's part of the problem - I need to settle on one.

I'd still love to hear more suggestions from anyone else that can take a few minutes to reply.

Again - thanks Michael and Paul!

William R. Larson - is offline (Retired from Forum Activity)

Former Sr. Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum
    I have to agree with Paul on this one.

When I first signed up with IPIU, I took a day and sat down and read all of the forums I had access to. I then used the "view new posts" link to do just that when I came back.

I have conitnued the same practice when my access was upgraded.

One thing that I have noticed is to try to schedule at least one, if not two times per day to check the forums. Being in school, I have to take (some) night classes. I work all day Wednesday, and go right to school after work. By my not checking thje forums Wednesday night, I often times come back to 2 or 3 pages worth of new posts on Thursday. If I can get on the boards at least once or twice a day, I am usually pretty caught up. If I don't and wind up skipping a day (or two, which has happened!), watch out! You might as well read War and Peace (albeit this is far more interesting than War and Peace, I am sure).

WRL

Thanks, William!
    That's helpful info. You made some really good points that I'm going to take action on.

Yes, I'll take reading anything here on the forum, over War and Peace.

Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum Member
    Teresa,

Wish I had an easy answer, not only for you and the other members but myself. Time is always an issue with me.

Here's my routine.
    I get on the forums each morning (usually without fail) about 5:00 AM. This is the best time of day for me.

I always click on View New Posts first. (I generally have 2 or 3 browser windows open at the same time, all accessing the forums)

The first window is where I read the new threads/posts. When I find one I want to reply to, I access the correct forum in the second browser window and post my reply. The third window I use to find topics that a member may find useful, or any other activity I may want to do. My goal is not to lose the "new" search and be able to work in the other two windows.

Now, as for the time element. This is an issue best evaluated by the individual. I use weekend mornings (or other weekend time depending on my schedule) to play catch-up with the topics I do not have time to visit during the week. My goal each morning during the week is to make a list of the topics (I copy the information from the "new" window into word) so I know exactly which ones I need to spend time with. Now keep in mind, this has it's pit falls also, but is the routine that works for me.

I spend 1 1/2 hours each morning during the week on the forums. On weekends, I've spent as much as 5 hours a day catching up, depending on the activity.

The other thing I try to do is prioritize what I reply to, based on the time I have available. Every now and again, I actually cover everything and feel a little let down that there is nothing more to read or respond to. I think I just admitted to being addicted.

Hope you are able to find a schedule/routine that works for you.

Best of luck!

David Copeland is offline Administrator

Sponsored by:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    I first use View New Posts, BUT.....

When I click on a topic, I respond or read or whatever.

Then I use the BACK BUTTON to return to the previous results of the New Posts, and continue down the page. Otherwise I lose the topics I missed.

When I get through with page 2 or 3, then I click on Page 1 again and hit REFRESH to see what topics have posted since I began reading.

Still, some topics slip in and I manually look through the forums.

Kandy and David - I can't thank you enough for the time and thought you put into your replies. They both are extremely helpful!

There is so much to gain by everyone here on the forums. But both of you are people I particularly watch for, and I often read and re-read your posts (As well as a number of the other 'experienced regulars.') I very much appreciate your obvious experience, knowledge, and wisdom.

And Kandy, thanks so much for the detailed sketch of the process you follow. You've given me some unique ideas to think about and work with, that will help me develop a method that works for me (and I'm sure the same goes for anyone else reading this thread.)

Thanks again to you both!

William R. Larson - is offline (Retired from Forum Activity)

Former Sr. Distinguished Member:
    Terri -

In addition to Kandy's great suggestions (which I am trying to implement as well! Thanks Kandy!), I take full advantage of the e-mail notification option. OK, I actually don't make any changes, and get notified when anybody replies to anything I have posted to.

My first step is to check the e-mail the notifications go to. I click on the link within each one to view the post(s) that are new. I then delete each e-mail after I viewed the thread (and possibly replied).

Then I go to the forums, and click on the "view new posts" under my name, and go through each thread. If I viewed them via my e-mail and replied, I will be the name showing as the last post, so I can bounce over those.

From this point on, I follow Kandy's method of checking the new posts, and replying as I wish, then browsing the general forums for new threads that I may not know about.

WRL

PS - It amazes me that Kandy gets up at the crack of dawn to get here to the forums. I have often seen her posts dated before 5am CST! I guess you gotta do what you gotta do (as this post should be date stamped at approximately 11:15 PM CST. Thaat's late for me!)

William-

Thanks again for more great suggestions! I also use the e-mail notification a lot, and like you, usually use that as my first step.

Being very nocturnal, I also can't imagine getting up at 5:00 AM every day. On the mornings that do require that, my body seems to yell in protest - "What are you doing?? This is not natural for this human!" Being a night person has certainly never made working a full-time job easy. I would have made a great cat!

Terri
    Last edited by Teresa L. Horsmann; 02-03-2002 at 05:27 PM.

My 2/5

Good evening.
    Thank you for the wonderful tips on how to spend quality time in the forums. I must say that I began with first one then another of your suggestions. Now, I pretty much use a variety of methods in order to achieve the desired results.

One day, I discovered the "View Active Topics" option just under my name on the home page. That has been a true revelation and an excellent means of tracking the latest threads and avoiding the closed or relocated ones.

Currently, I must admit that I first go through the auto response emails (which can take a few hours at times) then check the active topics. After that, I view the home page to see what's happening there and read, read, read to my heart's content.

Once I've completed those steps, I'm fairly confident that I've accomplished something of value and covered a good amount of territory in the process. I then use the search feature to locate topics of special interest, head to the Intro lounge to welcome newcomers and/or I enter the off-topic discussions lounge to chat with newfound friends. Admittedly, I usually end up reading more than posting so I may never be promoted in the forums. But, so far, this process works well for me! I'm a stern believer in work first, then play. Of course, I'm always open to suggestions! Just my 2/5!

Take care and see you in the forums!
    Last edited by May K. Toney; 06-28-2003 at 06:07 AM.

I also use the new posts link, but let me tell you, dont skip too many days without checking or you'll be in for a surprise LOL.

Luckily a lot of them are test score postings and introductions so arent hard to catch up on.

I Second That

Originally posted by Steven Tremblay
    I also use the new posts link, but let me tell you, dont skip too many days without checking or you'll be in for a surprise LOL.

Luckily a lot of them are test score postings and introductions so arent hard to catch up on.
    Hello Steven. You are so right about the surprise after missing a few days in the forums. What made me think that things would pause while I was away? Vanity? Anyway, it took me a while to catch up on things and, once again, I spent hours reading with very few posts. Oh well.

Take care and enjoy the day!
    MT

God's promises are like stars; the darker the night, the brighter they shine.

There are some great suggestions here. I always check the email notifications first, then view active posts ....I've recently starting opening multiple windows so I can keep track of things but at times I lose the info ...Of course as a newbie, I'm still "feeling" my way around

Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum Member
    While you're browsing the "View Active Topics";

you can also right-click the topic title or new post arrow and open the link in a new browser window.

or

if you want to post a reply, right-click on the reply button and select "open in new window".

Either of these will allow you to work the topics without losing the list of active topics. Just close the extra window when you're done.

I find this saves writing down topics I want to address.

Kanda,

Thanks for the info, I'll definately give that a try Losing threads can be a bit time consuming when I have to then go find them again.

18. Originally posted by William R. Larson
    Terri -

In addition to Kandy's great suggestions (which I am trying to implement as well! Thanks Kandy!), I take full advantage of the e-mail notification option. OK, I actually don't make any changes, and get notified when anybody replies to anything I have posted to. . .
    I also use this method of checking my email first to see if anyone has replied to a thread I previously posted to. Then, I view the active threads, then I go to Introductions Forum, and try to greet all the newcomers that I have missed over the past couple of days.

Once I complete this, I browse through the various topics that I have access to and pick and choose topics of interest. At the present time, I only have access to Level 1, but once I am bumped up to higher levels, with additional access, I plan on trying some of the tips the others have posted in this thread, in order to keep up with all the information.

Have a great day, everyone!
    Last edited by Michele Maconship; 07-07-2003 at 09:04 AM.

Tammy Rose is offline Moderator (On Leave of Absence)

Distinguished Member:
    This is great information i'm going to try this right now and see how it works for me. Again thank you.

Please help me, for I am so lost on this web site and the words like threads make no sense to me. I am a new trainee who needs direction. Thanks David Kish trainee.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Kish
    Please help me, for I am so lost on this web site and the words like threads make no sense to me. I am a new trainee who needs direction. Thanks David Kish trainee.

Hi David,

First, welcome to IPIU!

I would suggest you go back to your Introduction Topic and read the posts from everyone who has welcomed you. They have already offered you some great tips on what to do and how to get started here. There is much to learn and a few things you need to master before moving on up in levels at IPIU. Click this link David's Introduction Topic and if you have time you might want to respond to those who have already welcomed you. Click the links within each post that offer things for you to look at. Read them all.

If you have any questions which you cannot find the answer to in another forum, please also post them within your Introduction Topic so that a trainer can assist. Taking the time to read all the forums is part of your training here at IPIU.

Best of luck to you,

Warren

Thanks for all of the tips! I am pretty new and I was wondering how on the world I was supposed to navigate through all the forums. It is very easy to overlook some forums. It is nice to finally have a few suggestions that may make viewing posts easier. I hopefully can keep up with all of the new info that is coming in now. Thanks again!