Thread: New Jersey Gun Law

Jeffrey Barbieri - is offline ***
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

New Jersey Gun Law

New Jersey is very strick when it comes to their gun laws. You can not apply for a conceal weapon license. What this basically means is, if you go to the firing range you have to go from you home to the range and back. You are not allowed to make any stops whatsoever inbetween. I tried to apply for one in Pa since I go to the range there often and they won't allow me to apply for a conceal license there because I am not a resident. Living in NJ I am not allowed to bring my weapon into NY. Period. If I want to go to a range in NY I have to rent their weapon(s).

Re: New Jersey Gun Law

I used to live in Guttenburg. You can get a CWP IF you can prove you carry or have over, I believe it's 10k in cash or jewels on you daily, or you can prove your life is in imminent danger and you have been threatened. Your guns are also to be locked in the trunk, with your ammunition locked in the glove box. At the time I drove a Ford Expedition. No trunk, no locking glove box. I had friends who were cops and I asked them about it. They smiled and said, "Just don't get caught speeding going to the range".

When I registered my guns in NJ, the desk sergeant asked me why I had so many. I asked him how many pairs of underwear he owned and if he had more than 1 wrench or s_c_r_e_w driver.

*s_c_r_e_w* because I couldn't actually spell it properly. I think NJ is in charge of the monitoring software for inappropriate words in our forums.

Edward Taguba is offline Certified Distinguished Member
    Private Investigators Forums

Professional Member of:

This is good to know, not like I carry any gun or anything, Hawaii won't allow you to carry gun's away. LOL Tim, the last paragraph was funny.

They are much to strick, even Jesus himself couldn't get a CWP in NJ.

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:

Yes, New Jersey gun laws are strict -- and stupid. Much of the problem in New Jersey is that the State Police have helped enact laws to prevent outsiders (e.g., those not retired from the State Police) from becoming PIs or FRAs. The state is controlled by Progressives who want the government to take care of everything for them, including protecting them from the bad guys, i.e., the ones with guns.

I go to the range with my firearms in locked containers that cannot be reached from the front seat, and with my ammunition somewhere else in the car. I can go anywhere I want as long as the firearms and ammunition are secured and not visible in a cursory view.

Concealed carry is only for persons whose job requires a concealed weapon, such as a security guard. The state Supreme Court has reaffirmed this several times. I do not think that New Jersey has Castle Doctrine or Stand Your Ground Laws. You have to let the bad guy enter your house with weapons visible before you can shoot them. If they try to get away, you can shoot them, but you have to drag the bodies back into your house.

I am having trouble finding the right place for this, but since I am here I will try it.

I am now a Certified Firearms Appraiser. I wanted to get a bit more education on appraisals so I took a class in personal property appraisal, and am certified a a personal property appraiser.

My gunsmithing skills are not what they should be, but I am taking the Professional Gunsmith I course through the American Gunsmithing Institute (AGI) - http://staging.americangunsmithingin...FWdo7AodMWQAzQ

I am investigating the Certificate of Ballistics and Reloading at the School of Firearms Technology (http://www.schooloffirearmstechnolog...igestReloading).

If you need a firearms appraisal for insurance purposes, contact me here. My website is not ready yet.

Donna Reagan is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified

Congratulations Michael, on your new certifications!

Donna

Donna Reagan

PS: If you need an economical approach to your www domain name and web site, use the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Donna,

I just sent a message. Thanks.

Rajohn A Mann is offline Lifetime Corporation Member

Corporate Agency Member of:

Hello so I'm safe to say after reading the previous listed post no one can get a permit jot even pi,s

If your interested in carrying in New Jersey, my best advise would be to live anywhere other than New Jersey. Worst state to even attempt to carry. Our laws are horrible and disgusting all at the same time. Makes me sick even thinking about why I'm here.

Dieter Engelhardt is offline Lifetime Corporation Member

I have heard that you are aloud too stop between the range and home, as long it is stored properly.

Not sure where you heard that rumor but I would not want to test it. I go from my house to the range and back. I dare NOT stop anywhere else.
    As far as properly storing your weapon the trunk of the car. You need to make sure your weapon and ammo are away from each other. You are not allowed to have any in the chamber or in the magazine, otherwise it's considered a loaded weapon.

I do believe, I mentioned properly stored, I think that covers what you pointed out. Their are states where you can carrier if you have the proper licence.

Jeffery,

You can have the magazines loaded as long as they are not stored with the firearms. However, your approach will keep you from getting in trouble. You are permitted to stop for food, gas, and restrooms while going to and from the range; the "Cheesburger" case settled that issue--using the Intent of the Law.

If you do not have car with a trunk, cover your firearm and ammo cases with a blanket; you might even want to carry your firearms in musical instrument cases.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

You are correct, actually have a license to carry in 36 states. NJ just happens to NOT be one of them.

New York, is another, yes jersey is tough:

Donna, did you get any info back from Administration?