Thread: I'm looking for classes to get licensed as a Confidential Intermediary

Wes Crandell is offline *
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

I'm looking for classes to get licensed as a Confidential Intermediary

In Arizona they have a license for a C.I.( Confidential Intermediary) which is someone certified to act as a go between for adopted people looking for their real parents or Parents looking for kids they put up for adoption.

This is a field i would like to get into.

In AZ if your are licensed you are allowed to look into sealed adoption files. AZ has a class for the state but i moved to Boise Idaho, to try an start my own agency. I can't find anything here in the state for licensing or classes. I've called the attorney general office and the person i talked to never heard of it.

Does anyone know what they might call it here and where i might find info on it.

Tracy Schlottman is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Member of:

Re: I'm looking for classes to get licensed as a C.I.

From what I've read Idaho does not require a license. It is possible that the only way you will be able to access sealed adoption records in Idaho is with a court order (I can't say for sure though).

The laws in AZ and ID are going to be different.

Re: I'm looking for classes to get licensed as a Confidential Intermediary

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Crandell View Post
    In Arizona they have a license for a C.I.( Confidential Intermediary) which is someone certified to act as a go between for adopted people looking for their real parents or Parents looking for kids they put up for adoption.

Does anyone know what they might call it here and where i might find info on it.
    Click on the following topic link that will answer questions about becoming a Confidential Intermediary in all states:

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...ediary-License
    Legal Affairs comments are not intended to be and should absolutely not be taken as legal advice. If you should require legal, tax, or financial advice, you must first enter into a written agreement with only a licensed professional for legal, tax, or financial services, signed by both you and the licensed professional, and paid a retainer in good funds. Legal Affairs is not, nor intends to be, nor solicits to be your licensed professional. Members accessing comments by Legal Affairs are required to be bound by their Terms of Use Agreement regarding Legal Affairs.

Wes Crandell is offline *
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:

thanks that's exactly what i needed

Danielle Bosley is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Corporate Agency Member of:

Did you ever have any luck Wes? I too have been interested in being a CI for a long time now, but it seems like you can't be one in most states unless you live there. I don't know how to go about being one in more than one state. Additionally, I'm not sure if one can legally be a PI and CI at the same time if it means using the info you gather as a CI to profit as a PI.

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:

You may wish to take an out-of-state course online so that you can get certified. Massachusetts has a bill pending, and you may be grandfathered in if you are already certified.

More Google results:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Conf...w=1168&bih=741

Well I'm not merely looking for Mass, but all the states, and it seems like you can only be a CI in the state you live in. Additionally, it doesn't appear you are allowed to access any adoption records you wish at any time. You can only access those the agency/state has assigned you. So being a CI in this sense doesn't help at all if you have a client thru your PI business wanting to find their birth parents. There has to be a way around it.

John Sanderson is offline Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle Bosley View Post
    Well I'm not merely looking for Mass, but all the states, and it seems like you can only be a CI in the state you live in.
    Not true. The only way I can think to answer more clearly is in details which are best shared in the corporation owner's forum. I'll try to locate your agency's thread and post the details.

You as well as other Lifetime Corporate members are in a unique position to launch a national agency with offices in each state, and become licensed in each of them personally, under their agency.

Additionally, it doesn't appear you are allowed to access any adoption records you wish at any time. You can only access those the agency/state has assigned you. So being a CI in this sense doesn't help at all if you have a client thru your PI business wanting to find their birth parents. There has to be a way around it.
    You are right for the most part. Adoption records are very restricted.

In many states, only closed adoptions are permitted, wherein the birth-parents blindly give their child up for adoption.

In some states, like Massachusetts (the last time I checked) Open Adoptions are permitted, wherein the birth-partents meet with and choose potential parents, and the birht parents have visitations rights (to an extent). In a state like Massachusetts, if you are trying to locate biological parents in a closed adoption situation, you're wasting time and money 99% of the time. However, if you're looking for biological parents in an Open Adoption situation you only need the adoption agency name to get things rolling. Most often you can go through the Department of Social Services (most commonly used for free adoption services.

More information available in higher access levels, or feel free to locate my level 4 chat and post an inquiry.

--------------------------------------------

I got your e-mail. I replied the day after the original. I'll try to find it and re-send.
    John Sanderson

Task Force Investigations
    Logistics Department

I got your reply email and responded to it and then never heard back.
    I've emailed you again.

John Sanderson is offline Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle Bosley View Post
    I got your reply email and responded to it and then never heard back.
    I've emailed you again.
    Oh. I'm sorry I'll check it out when I go off patrol tonight.