Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PI LICENSING: Missouri

Question Becoming PI in MO

Hello,

I am interested in becoming a Private I in the Kansas City, MO area and am looking for some advise/information/help.

Sincerly,
    Brandon

Brandon,

You should check out the IPIU forum on licensing laws and there is an excellent list summarizing each state's PI licensing requirements.

However, I do know that the State of Missouri DOES NOT require a PI license, but certain cities DO require a PI license, including Kansas City and St. Louis. I wish I had that city ordnance at my office - it is at home with my investigations reference manual I've started with all the great information I've downloaded for future reference from the IPIU forms.

Hope this helps a little!

Sheri Young

William Brassfield is offline Moderator::
    (On Leave of Absence)

Sr. Distinguished Member:
    Member since 2002
    Hi, Brandon;
    In addition to Kansas City, and St.Louis, City licenses are also required in Joplin, Springfield,and St.Joseph. You may want to contact the Missouri association of Private Investigators atwww.mapi-inc.com

See you on the boards
    Will Brassfield

Where there's a will, there's a way......and I'm Will

Visit our New Home Page: www.ipiu.org

Visit our New Bookstore: www.privateinvestigators.cc

Question Missouri License Requirements

Does anyone know what the requirements are to be licensed in Missouri?

William Brassfield is offline Moderator::
    (On Leave of Absence)

Sr. Distinguished Member:
    Member since 2002
    Micheal;
    There is no state licensing in Missouri, but a city license is required in the five cities I mentioned above. Each cities requirements vary slightly, so you'll need the contact the police department of the city or cities you want to be licensed in. However, if you live in a city where there is no license requirement, as I do, then you can get started right away.

Thank you for the information on MO.

MO license

I'm in Kansas City also.
    I'm going to get my Kansas license first, because it's so easy.
    Then after gaining employment and experience I'll be getting the appropriate MO licenses. But you better hurry. I understand that Kansas' lax laws are going to change in the near future.

I am not sure as to how current the information is in the following link, but it might be of use to those of you in the St. Louis area.

http://www.slpl.lib.mo.us/CityHall/L...ata/detect.htm
    Kimberly Lackey
    IPIU Badge # 5613

Jason Davis Guest

working w/o license

Hi
    I live in Missouri near one of the cities that requires a license, but I am wondering how one would get started without a license outside the city.

Re: working w/o license

Originally posted by Jason Davis
    Hi
    I live in Missouri near one of the cities that requires a license, but I am wondering how one would get started without a license outside the city.
    Hi Jason,

If you want to work in the city that requires a license, you would need to work for someone (an agency) who already has a license. If you want to work in a smaller town, it would be best for you to contact your local police department or public officials to find out how you should proceed in order to be in compliance with the laws of your town and state.
    Kimberly Lackey
    IPIU Badge # 5613

Lightbulb Mo License

Hi

i also live in mo. but i got license in texas, can i do that.

Licensing

I'm so sorry if I am repeating someone. But I looked all over for this answer and couldn't find, maybe I was looking in the wrong place. But I was wondering...after I am a trainee for a while, how do I go about getting my PI license? Do I go to the Police station or City Hall and take a test? I'm just not sure. Again sorry if I am repeating someone.

Hello Emily,

Up until now, a state license was not required, but city licenses were required for Kansas City and St. Louis. As of tomorrow, a state license is required. The only thing I have been able to find about this is SB 0750, detailing the new requirements. Click on Full Bill Text for all the details. I haven't made any calls yet to find out, but since this is new, you might need to contact Jeff City to find out.

http://www.senate.state.mo.us/04info/bills/SB750.htm

The Missouri Professional Investigators Association could probably answer your question also.

MISSOURI PROFESSIONAL INVESTIGATORS ASSOCIATION (MPIA)
    P.O. Box 74
    Bonne Terre, MO, 63628
    Phone 573 562-1235

Hope this helps.

Brenda Templin
    "The climb to the top is arduous and long. People become exhausted, frustrated,
    and disenchanted. They often are tempted to give up. Leaders must encourage
    the heart of their followers to carry on." .....by Kouzes and Posner

So what does that mean for us KS PI's that are not licensed but working for Law Firms and so forth?

Can we take cases on the MO side?
    "Keep On Keepin On!"

Steve McAtee
    Badge# 10053

Steve,

I don't know. But there is one thing that bothers me about the new statute, which seems would affect anyone licensed in Kansas or other state, or anyone in Missouri that is not licensed.

1) It shall be unlawful for any person to engage in the private investigator business in this state unless such person is licensed as a private investigator pursuant to sections 324.1100 to 324.1140;

(2) It shall be unlawful for any person to engage in business in this state as a private investigator agency unless such person is licensed pursuant to sections 324.1100 to 324.1140.324.1106. The following persons shall not be deemed to be engaging in the private investigator business:

(1) A person employed exclusively and regularly by one employer in connection only with the affairs of such employer and where there exists an employer-employee relationship;

The part that bothers me is employed exclusively and regularly by one employer. Does this mean that we would have to be an employee of one particular agency if we don't have a state license? If that is the case, then how could we accept assignments from different agencies through IPIU? It sounds to me like you would not be able to do assignments without first getting the state license.

Are there any attorneys, or someone from IPIU, that can clarify this?

Brenda

Correction to my last post

I omitted one part in my last post, and don't have an edit button, so here it is again.

1) It shall be unlawful for any person to engage in the private investigator business in this state unless such person is licensed as a private investigator pursuant to sections 324.1100 to 324.1140;

(2) It shall be unlawful for any person to engage in business in this state as a private investigator agency unless such person is licensed pursuant to sections 324.1100 to 324.1140.

324.1106. The following persons shall not be deemed to be engaging in the private investigator business:

(1) A person employed exclusively and regularly by one employer in connection only with the affairs of such employer and where there exists an employer-employee relationship;

Brenda

MO Licensing

So is that is saying that we can't even work under someone elses license unless we have a license too? For some reason I thought that we could get certified through IPIU and then work under someone's agency that is licensed. Am I wrong in thinking this?
    Also Brenda, Thank you for all your help on finding these things outt for us. I greatly appreciate it!

Emily,

Since these statutes just went into effect, and because of the way it is worded, this is something IPIU needs to answer for us. I think I will email legal and ask.

Brenda

Quote Originally Posted by William Brassfield
    Micheal;
    There is no state licensing in Missouri, but a city license is required in the five cities I mentioned above. Each cities requirements vary slightly, so you'll need the contact the police department of the city or cities you want to be licensed in. However, if you live in a city where there is no license requirement, as I do, then you can get started right away.
    William,

I live in a county in Missouri that does not require you to be certified or licensed (Confirmed by the local PD). How do you get started right away. This is all so new to me. Any suggestions you can share?

Cheryl,

This just changed last Saturday, August 28, 2004. Missouri now requires a state license. See the link below.

Brenda

040210155327 Guest
    There is some confusion on Missouri Licensing. The current bill summary is a bill that has already been voted on and DID NOT pass, the bill was suppose to take effect on August 28th of 2004 if the bill passed., According to the website http://www.kapi.org/legislate.htm under Missouri Legislation the bill did not pass.

So the licensing requirements remain the same as before.

Incidently, for those looking for Kansas City Licensure you might look at the requirements for a required class A license.

Not an easy license to get I promise you that.
    Last edited by B Ann Craig -; 09-03-2004 at 08:03 AM.

Thanks, John! I searched everything I could find on Missouri. I guess I should have searched Kansas to find out about Missouri.

Brenda

040210155327 Guest
    Steve,

If you are working for Attorney's under the firm's direction you do not need a PI license to work anywhere including Kansas and Missouri, so to answer your question, yes you can work both sides of the state line.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by B Ann Craig -; 09-03-2004 at 08:02 AM.

040210155327 Guest
    Hi Emily Bailey,

I got licensed in the state of Kansas First, then applied in Kansas City Missouri.
    The licensing for now in Kansas is somewhat easier however, a bit time consuming.
    Here is a link to get you started and answer some of your questions.

https://www.accesskansas.org/kbi/pi_...tml#LicensedPI

Hope this helps you

A Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Brenda Templin
    Cheryl,

This just changed last Saturday, August 28, 2004. Missouri now requires a state license. See the link below.

Brenda

Brenda,

You are on top of things girl I need to check this link out.

Thanks again......

Cheryl

Quote Originally Posted by 040210155327
    There is some confusion on Missouri Licensing. The current bill summary is a bill that has already been voted on and DID NOT pass, the bill was suppose to take effect on August 28th of 2004 if the bill passed., According to the website http://www.kapi.org/legislate.htm under Missouri Legislation the bill did not pass.

So the licensing requirements remain the same as before.

Incidently, for those looking for Kansas City Licensure you might look at the requirements for a required class A license.

Not an easy license to get I promise you that.
    Cheryl,

You must have missed John's post above. It appears that SB 0750 did not pass after all.

Brenda

Talking Inquiring Minds Want to Know

Brenda,

I wanted to know more about this and when this came on the docket to vote.

http://www.senate.state.mo.us/04INFO/bills/SB750.htm. This is a summary detail for other "Show Me" members.

Very interesting.

Hi Cheryl,

That is a good question. I have searched a lot of sites and have been unable to find any more info on it. Maybe John will see your post, and can shed some light on it.

Brenda

040210155327 Guest
    Hi Brenda and Cheryl,

I am not sure on the exact date when the bill was voted on but it was at least three months ago. But I can tell you that the current bill is dead and did not pass.

The Kansas Association of Private Investigators can give you an exact date the vote went through.

Regards,
    Last edited by B Ann Craig -; 09-03-2004 at 08:01 AM.

Thanks, John! You are a jewel. I knew it seemed strange that I could find nothing else on it.

Well, Cheryl, it looks like we would only need a city license for the 4 or 5 cities that require it, and home free on all others.

Brenda

Smile That Was Helpful

I did not know anything as far as the laws for Missouri licensing until now. Thank you all for the awesome information. But I still am ignorant to how I would acquire a license for St. Louis city. If anyone has any news about that please keep me posted!

Smile That was some good info!

I did not know anything as far as the laws for Missouri licensing until now. Thank you all for the awesome information. But I still am ignorant to how I would acquire a license for St. Louis city. If anyone has any news about that please keep me posted!

John,

I searched in Google for "PI Licensing in Missouri". There are a lot of links on the page, you might fnd what you are looking for there.

Good luck,

Cheryl

But do you need a license for the cities if you live in a city that does not require it ?

What do I need to do to get my P.I. License in the State of Georgia.

Timothy Lawson is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    If you do a search for "private investigation" in the Statute search area of the state Web site (sorry, I don't remember how to find it) you will see that a few people have been trying to get licensing in MO for a long time. The bills are almost identical every time.

If that bill, or a similar one, were to pass, I would have to give up becoming a private investigator. I just started my own business but could never afford the insurance and other fees the bill requires. I understand what all those provisions are for, but I think the wording of that bill will discourage people from becoming private investigators. Private investigation is one of the few businesses you can get into without a lot of start-up capital as long as you know what you are doing. And it builds too slowly to have to pay out a lot in fees right at the beginning. If one of these bills passes, I think there will be a lot of failed private investigators who just couldn't make ends meet while they were trying to build their business. I have a hard enough time as it is.

Just my 2 cents.
    Tim

This topic needs to be watched. I just did a lookup on this. and in just this session, another bill was introduced by the same guy. he must want licensing in this state real bad because he has introduced the same legislation for the last 2 years in a row. Did not make it out of committee, but, I wonder if he will introduce it next year?

PERSONAL OPINION Only:

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Shively
    This topic needs to be watched. I just did a lookup on this. and in just this session, another bill was introduced by the same guy. he must want licensing in this state real bad because he has introduced the same legislation for the last 2 years in a row. Did not make it out of committee, but, I wonder if he will introduce it next year?
    You may wish to read the IPIU Mission Statement again and see how it is carefully worded to support state licensing where it is necessary and to support no state licensing where the conduct of private investigators is monitored by other means besides spending a million dollars to collect fees.

We have also found that most "state associations" want state licensing. Why? Perhaps it is because some members of state associations do not want anyone else getting into the profession because of potential turf wars. Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps. I just find it odd that they want regulation where in some states, like Colorado, it is certainly not needed at all. (Read the Colorado Licensing topic here. There is mention that the same type of bill went before the governor and was defeated many times in the past because they found it a waste of money).

Is there a place I need to go to get bonded in Missouri, I am starting my business and do nt want to get in trouble. I am not in one of the areas that regulates PI license
    LONNIE BOSWELL, CMPI
    Certified Missing Persons Investigator
    Illinois, USA

Re: Becoming PI in MO

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Bogue
    Hello,

I am interested in becoming a Private I in the Kansas City, MO area and am looking for some advise/information/help.

Sincerly,
    Brandon

It is easy really,
    1)either have experience or an associates degree in criminal justice or a bachelors degree
    2)then you must show you are going to work as a PI for a licensed agency.

Easy requirements, but if you dont have them, then its a pain.

You could potentially start your own agency however, but for that you are required to have 1million in general liability insurance, and the insurance place will want you to have some experience.

check this link out: http://www.sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/cu...sr/17c10-2.pdf

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast