Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Shively- View Post
This topic needs to be watched. I just did a lookup on this. and in just this session, another bill was introduced by the same guy. he must want licensing in this state real bad because he has introduced the same legislation for the last 2 years in a row. Did not make it out of committee, but, I wonder if he will introduce it next year?
I'm kind of surprised no one has updated this information. That "guy" finally got his wish: the bill he has proposed every year for the past five or so years has passed. The details have not been worked out, which is one of the scariest things: it is all being decided by a committee of either 3 or 5 people.

So far they are looking at $500 for a two year fee and $1 million in insurance. They also want referrals from 3 clients in the past 2 years and testing.

There hasn't been any problems with PIs as far as I know, so I really don't see the need for this. I think they are either just wanting more money (though like I said in an earlier post; there will probably be many PIs going out of business) or they are reacting to the "sting" operation several PIs in New York carried out for Mayor Bloomberg trying to put gun shops out of business, as if the problem is with the PIs alone and not the mayor (those PIs were licensed).

Anyway, I doubt that I will be continuing with this. I just wanted to make a little extra money doing something I have been interested in all my life. I didn't expect to get rich, nor did I really expect to be able to make a living at it in my location. Just the IPIU fees have been something of a burden which I debated about every year. But the additional costs required by this bill are just too much when I am not making much, if any, money as a PI. I guess it is a good thing I have some other business ideas to pursue, but it would be nice if the government didn't feel the need to regulate everything out of existence.

We'll see how things stand in April when they start taking applications.