Thread: An agent wake-up call!

John Sanderson is offline Lifetime Member

Corporate Agency Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

An agent wake-up call!

Seasons Greetings to all my friends and colleagues at the IPIU.

I am writing because of something that occurred to me while performing my volunteer duties with the Efficient PI group.

The work of a PI and Fugitive Recovery Agent is not an easy thing for any of us, but we do it because it's what we love.

While carrying out our daily duties in fulfilling our clients requests, we are often times subjected to situations we would rather be able to say we've never experienced. In being exposed to theses things (such as investigating child abuse, sexual assault, murder or even arresting a fugitive in the Christmas season, knowing they'll be away from their family for the duration of the holidays) we're being desensitized by our work.

Separating yourself from a situation to see it clearly and without emotion is a wonderful gift, but have you ever heard the saying, "Too much of a good thing isn't always good?"

Getting in the habit of separating yourself on a regular basis for professional reasons only, is really an admirable and desired trait in our field. However, without noticing we might also be separating ourselves to our families as well.

I have seen some agents go through battles with their families because they don't realize the effect their work really has on them. Furthermore, they don't realize their family might actually be right when complaining the agent is on a power trip, or neglecting certain responsibilities to their families.

Some of the causes of family issues I have seen are related to the agent doing their jobs, but they either can't handle what they're investigating, work to many hours, don't know how to overcome their desensitization to sustain their family relationships, or they get so absorbed in work and getting to the next client/case (these are just a few examples). The end result is that they unintentionally abandon their families, neglect their responsibilities beginning with the little things, forget to set time aside to keep family relationships strong.

I'm writing this for all of you today because I know how important family and work really is and it saddens me to learn of a divorce, affair, or a custody battle in a PI or FR Agent's life. We have a miraculous opportunity and gift to be able to carry out our duties with the level of professionalism we do. However, what we sometimes fail to notice is that when we're conducting investigations into other people's issues, we often times find out what it was the went wrong in the client's situation.

When we learn what event or series of events have broken a client's family apart, it can help up to keep ours together, by learning from other people's misfortunes.

I personally have had issues within my family, but with the knowledge obtained in assisting others with their unfortunate situations, I have not only been able to figure out what I was doing wrong, but avoid issues I've seen in other families situations in the future.

If you're a member of the IPIU and are experiencing difficulties within your marriage or any other aspect of your life and could use assistance, I encourage you take advantage of the IPIU's assistance programs. You can do this by clicking the Contact Us link at the bottom of any forum page and in the text box, ask to be contacted by the IPIU's Agent Assistance Program.

I would like you to leave with this last thing:

Are we working in this field just because we want to, or are we fortunate enough to work in a field we love in order to support our families? If you couldn't support your family by working in this field, would you take a job you don't like to support your family? In this scenario, what appears to be most important, work or family? Which would you drop first?

Merry Christmas to all!
    John Sanderson

Task Force Investigations
    Logistics Department

John G - is offline Retired Forum Moderator

Private Investigators Forums
    Sponsored by the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Re: An agent wake-up call!

Thanks, John, for pointing out this advantage. I may need it myself someday!!

Happy Christmas to you and yours.
    Johnny

John Sanderson is offline Lifetime Member

Corporate Agency Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Re: An agent wake-up call!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Ginsberg View Post
    Thanks, John, for pointing out this advantage. I may need it myself someday!!
    My hope is that for those who read this, might be awakened enough to never have to go through these issues.

Happy Christmas to you and yours.
    Johnny
    Thank-you. May yours be Very Merry too!
    John Sanderson

Task Force Investigations
    Logistics Department