Thread: Becoming a Bounty Hunter & PI?

Becoming a Private Investgator/Bounty Hunter

Good day to everyone.

This question applies to any one who can answer it.

Reciently my brother has come in contact with some one who claims to be a bounty hunter looking for new recruits. I am interested in the offer but I am also skeptical.

My brother has already taken the initial steps to become aquainted with this person but I have yet to meet him. I am intrigued about the matter and would like to persue it a little farther.

1. How should I go about it? Will this allow me to aquire my PI licence?

2. What type of questions should I ask this person to see how lidget he is?

3. I have submitted a request for a registration form for the IPIU will I be able to aquire training from this organization?

4. Should I be patient and wait or will it be quicker for me to go with this fellow?

5. I have been a Criminal Justice Major for 3 years on my way to aquire my B.A, in this case how much training will I need?

6. Finally, I am also signed up to take the civil service exam to become a police officer, will the IPIU be a help to my situation or a hinder.

Any information or help is appreciated. Thank you for your time all.
    Marcus A. Banks-Bey
    Private Investigative Trainee
    Case Examiner
    Badge# 5214

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Re: Becoming a Private Investgator/Bounty Hunter

Originally posted by Marcus A. Banks-Bey
    1. Will this allow me to aquire my PI licence?
    Answer: No.

But there still 18 exemptions in Ohio that permit you to do investigations without an independent license, to gain the experience necessary for a license later.

Click Here: http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=2476
    3. I have submitted a request for a registration form for the IPIU will I be able to aquire training from this organization?
    Answer: Yes.

For becoming a Private Investigator, the standard IPIU application provides you with the academic and on-the-job training.

For Bounty Hunter (otherwise known as Bail Enforcement in Ohio), IPIU has a separate optional academic training program, which includes private access to the Bounty Hunters Forum.

Just email bounty@ipiu.org . Many private investigators do bail enforcement too. It also introduces you to the bail bondmans business too.
    5. I have been a Criminal Justice Major for 3 years on my way to aquire my B.A, in this case how much training will I need?
    That's a bit strange to me.

Most Criminal Justice graduates earn a B.S. degree (Bachelor of Science Degree in Criminal Justice) and not a B.A. (Bachelors of Arts) degree. Are you sure? Or is that a typo?
    6. Finally, I am also signed up to take the civil service exam to become a police officer, will the IPIU be a help to my situation or a hinder.
    Answer:
    Now there's the rub. Be careful about your goals.

a) Nearly all new Criminal Justice Degree graduates decide to go into public government service such as law enforcement or county or federal government (which can be civil service too). This type of career is not private investigation or bail enforcement!.

There are laws that prohibit civil servants and police officers from performing certain aspects of private investigations, such as using a "pretext" in most cases.

On the other hand, private investigators can perform many tasks that police officers and civil servants cannot.

Mixing the two can be like oil and water. However, there are a few police officers in some states that do private investigaions part time without any conflict, but that is the exception and not the rule.

It has been IPIU's experience in the last 12 years that:

a) Most cops (uniform patrol) do not make good private investigators because of their on-the-job experience over many years for their department. That's because thet are typically NOT detectives, and do not not make the law and statutes a study in the pursuit of doing investigations.

b) Of all cops, detectives, federal investigators, and criminal justice graduates . . . only 10% make it to becoming a private investigator. The remaining choose not to take the time to become trained in the private statutes and disciplines that private investigators must learn. Why? Because government employees usually have their tools delivered to them, while private investigators have to go out and obtain their tools and training.

c) Overall, we have found that the flow of interest in performing investigations has been the opposite of what you're proposing. Once someone makes a serious inquiry into private investigations, they choose not to become a government employee (whether a cop or civil servant). There are many more cops and government employees trying to get out of their jobs who desire to become private investigators than there are those who are trying to become cops. Why? Because of the following study:

MONEY MAGAZINE: Out of the Top 100 Careers, Money Magazine found that the top 3rd profession to pursue was "Private Investigator".

The reasons given by the poll were:

1) Job Satisfaction:
    Private Investigators, by and large, can choose their cases and choose their clients. So they can choose to become the "heroes" of the clients they serve, unlike cops who are sworn to "protect all" (which includes the bums and crooks).

2) Money:
    Private Investigators who are trained and integrated are earning more money that cops. IPIU trainees earn $18 to $27/hr, while Agency Owners earn $45 to $100/hr.

3) The Technology:
    Up until only a few years ago (with no internet, no fax, no cell phones, no pagers, no wireless, etc), private investigators were tied to their local towns with offices. Today, PI's are expanding their reach nationally and internationally with the "new toys and tools" of our trade. This earns more for you, and allows you to expand your client base and friends across all world borders. This also has increased the specialties to over 50 different areas of private investigators! (See the Poll in the Trainee Forum).

4) The culture of the 22nd Century:
    Unlike the 1950's, our society doesn't trust anyone like they used to. With the New York attack, , criminals, and a whole list, our society is more interested in paying a private investigator for inside information than taking a risk. That means more cases and more opportunity.

5) The training:
    Years ago the only way you get get trained was to get hired by a local agency. Today, you can get trained by a national agency to get the training. But still, many local agencies that have been around for years may feel threatened by your ambition. They may feel you are invading their "turf", their "territory". IPIU has a strict Code of Ethics for it's 17,000 members. Typically those types of "experienced" investigators have no interest in becoming a member because they have stopped thinking about expanding their agency and adding more PI's. That's sad, but true. The best experienced PI's are going to be those who join IPIU to grow their agency... and not to mothball it.
    2. What type of questions should I ask this person to see how lidget he is?
    Answer:
    Ask what bailbonds agency's he has successfully worked for. Get the name of the owner and phone and simply suggest that you want to make sure you're working with reputable "bailbondsmen". If he has no reference to give . . . well, what can I say.

If OHIO has a Bail Enforement license, ask to see it.

If this is too hard and direct for you to make, you can also tell him that you are enrolled with IPIU. Then tell him you would like him to SPONSOR you for access to the Bounty Hunters Forum! That means he needs to send an email to bounty@ipiu.org , which will give him an automated email application to complete. On the app, he will need to list his references. If he gains access, then he's okay! And he can sponsor you!
    4. Should I be patient and wait or will it be quicker for me to go with this fellow?
    Answer: Do both. But as mentioned, go slow with him until you are satisfied he knows what he is doing, can be checked out at some stage, and has reasonable references. The IPIU time table can take from 4-8 weeks, depending on your processing.

To check on your personal file status, email usa@ipiu.org

Good luck to you!

Thank You

Thank you all for the information that you have provided for me. It was a real help. To answer your question Mr. Copeland, at Kent State University, the Justice Studies program delivers you a bachalor of Arts and not science. That brought up questions for me as well, but I accepted it. I appreciate the time that you have taken to help. I will persue IPIU further.
    Marcus A. Banks-Bey
    Private Investigative Trainee
    Case Examiner
    Badge# 5214

Thumbs up

Mr. Copeland, a wealth of information and wisdom in reply.
    SG Thompson

Your information was very helpful. My personal experience has been the same as ipiu's. I have a close acquaintance who is a police officer that would prefer to a private investigator.

Cool Quick question

If I am already a member to become a p.i. trainee, would I have to pay more money to become trained to become a bounty hunter? How do I get access to the bounty hunter forum?

Thought i would chime in here.. In Ohio in order to become a "bounty hunter" you have to file through the ohio dept. of insurance to become a licensed bail bondsman, they no longer allow the terms of bail enforcement agent, fugitive recovery agent, bounty hunter, etc.. in Ohio. However if you are signed up for the Police academy, the state will not allow you to hold both an OPOTA certification and a bail bond license, they call it a "conflict of interest" i don't know about other states, but that is the way it is in Ohio. If ya have any other question about the laws in Ohio, feel free to ask, i'll check back soon good luck to ya
    SCOTT BERTWELL
    Ohio Licensed Bail Bondsman
    PI Trainee

Thumbs up Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by David Copeland
    Answer: No.

But there still 18 exemptions in Ohio that permit you to do investigations without an independent license, to gain the experience necessary for a license later.

Click Here: http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=2476Answer: Yes.

For becoming a Private Investigator, the standard IPIU application provides you with the academic and on-the-job training.

For Bounty Hunter (otherwise known as Bail Enforcement in Ohio), IPIU has a separate optional academic training program, which includes private access to the Bounty Hunters Forum.

Just email bounty@ipiu.org . Many private investigators do bail enforcement too. It also introduces you to the bail bondmans business too.That's a bit strange to me.

Most Criminal Justice graduates earn a B.S. degree (Bachelor of Science Degree in Criminal Justice) and not a B.A. (Bachelors of Arts) degree. Are you sure? Or is that a typo?Answer:
    Now there's the rub. Be careful about your goals.

a) Nearly all new Criminal Justice Degree graduates decide to go into public government service such as law enforcement or county or federal government (which can be civil service too). This type of career is not private investigation or bail enforcement!.

There are laws that prohibit civil servants and police officers from performing certain aspects of private investigations, such as using a "pretext" in most cases.

On the other hand, private investigators can perform many tasks that police officers and civil servants cannot.

Mixing the two can be like oil and water. However, there are a few police officers in some states that do private investigaions part time without any conflict, but that is the exception and not the rule.

It has been IPIU's experience in the last 12 years that:

a) Most cops (uniform patrol) do not make good private investigators because of their on-the-job experience over many years for their department. That's because thet are typically NOT detectives, and do not not make the law and statutes a study in the pursuit of doing investigations.

b) Of all cops, detectives, federal investigators, and criminal justice graduates . . . only 10% make it to becoming a private investigator. The remaining choose not to take the time to become trained in the private statutes and disciplines that private investigators must learn. Why? Because government employees usually have their tools delivered to them, while private investigators have to go out and obtain their tools and training.

c) Overall, we have found that the flow of interest in performing investigations has been the opposite of what you're proposing. Once someone makes a serious inquiry into private investigations, they choose not to become a government employee (whether a cop or civil servant). There are many more cops and government employees trying to get out of their jobs who desire to become private investigators than there are those who are trying to become cops. Why? Because of the following study:

MONEY MAGAZINE: Out of the Top 100 Careers, Money Magazine found that the top 3rd profession to pursue was "Private Investigator".

The reasons given by the poll were:

1) Job Satisfaction:
    Private Investigators, by and large, can choose their cases and choose their clients. So they can choose to become the "heroes" of the clients they serve, unlike cops who are sworn to "protect all" (which includes the bums and crooks).

2) Money:
    Private Investigators who are trained and integrated are earning more money that cops. IPIU trainees earn $18 to $27/hr, while Agency Owners earn $45 to $100/hr.

3) The Technology:
    Up until only a few years ago (with no internet, no fax, no cell phones, no pagers, no wireless, etc), private investigators were tied to their local towns with offices. Today, PI's are expanding their reach nationally and internationally with the "new toys and tools" of our trade. This earns more for you, and allows you to expand your client base and friends across all world borders. This also has increased the specialties to over 50 different areas of private investigators! (See the Poll in the Trainee Forum).

4) The culture of the 22nd Century:
    Unlike the 1950's, our society doesn't trust anyone like they used to. With the New York attack, 00000, criminals, and a whole list, our society is more interested in paying a private investigator for inside information than taking a risk. That means more cases and more opportunity.

5) The training:
    Years ago the only way you get get trained was to get hired by a local agency. Today, you can get trained by a national agency to get the training. But still, many local agencies that have been around for years may feel threatened by your ambition. They may feel you are invading their "turf", their "territory". IPIU has a strict Code of Ethics for it's 17,000 members. Typically those types of "experienced" investigators have no interest in becoming a member because they have stopped thinking about expanding their agency and adding more PI's. That's sad, but true. The best experienced PI's are going to be those who join IPIU to grow their agency... and not to mothball it. Answer:
    Ask what bailbonds agency's he has successfully worked for. Get the name of the owner and phone and simply suggest that you want to make sure you're working with reputable "bailbondsmen". If he has no reference to give . . . well, what can I say.

If OHIO has a Bail Enforement license, ask to see it.

If this is too hard and direct for you to make, you can also tell him that you are enrolled with IPIU. Then tell him you would like him to SPONSOR you for access to the Bounty Hunters Forum! That means he needs to send an email to bounty@ipiu.org , which will give him an automated email application to complete. On the app, he will need to list his references. If he gains access, then he's okay! And he can sponsor you!Answer: Do both. But as mentioned, go slow with him until you are satisfied he knows what he is doing, can be checked out at some stage, and has reasonable references. The IPIU time table can take from 4-8 weeks, depending on your processing.

To check on your personal file status, email usa@ipiu.org

Good luck to you!
    This has to be, in my humble opinion, one of the most informative replies I have read to date. Although it's posting date is old the above information is quite fascinating and remarkably well written. I appreciate the questions and 'detail' in which all the answers were to the point and not hazy. Thank You:

Barry Harting

Re: Becoming a Bounty Hunter & PI?

Thanks David for the wonderful detailed information.

By.
    Joseph sawe