Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: PI LICENSING: Texas

Wow, this is some great information to keep on hand.

Cool PI Licensing: Texas

I've just completed taking the exams for level 1 and, level 2 on the Texas Department of Public Safety web site. Now if I can just find someone that will take me on as a trainee under their firm maybe I can get a little further down this road to aquiring my own license. Anyone have any suggestions. I'm in the Dallas / Ft. Worth area.
    "Stay young and never betray your friends."

IPIU Badge Number

Congratulations James!
    I'm not too far from you, so howdy neighbor!
    I can't wait to get my license, but like you I would love for an agency to train me!
    I'm in a secluded area and I think there is just one PI in a town 30 miles from me, can you say boonies? lol!
    Keep us posted and I'm looking forward to chatting with you about your adventures!

Cool PI Licensing

Thanks for the compliment Cheryl. Unfortunately, finding an agency here in the DFW area that is willing to train is proven to be impossible to find. They either don't want to take the time or they won't return the phone calls. Here's hoping you have better luck and, if anyone knows of anyone in the DFW area that might be willing to take on a trainee please let me know.. I need some sort of work as i have been medically disqualified from doing my past job now for over a year.
    "Stay young and never betray your friends."

IPIU Badge Number

I have also worked as a Mystery Shopper in Texas. I did a thorough search on the net before I started and had found a page on one of the government website that specificly stated at that time that Mystery Shoppers did not need a license. I have since lost that link. But it beginning of 2005, so it might have changed or got moved.

Smile

I have been considering moving to Texas in the next year or so. Sounds like Texas is a bit less restrictive than Kansas... Good news.

Rowdy Ratts

Tiffany H. Causey - is offline Certified SPI
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    I agree. It is extremely difficult to find an agency in the DFW area who is even willing to speak to you. I have been looking as well. If I do have any luck or get any referrals I will let everyone know.

Tiffany thanks for letting me know that you haven't had any luck in the DFW area either. That at least lets me know that I'm not the only one that is searching but being ignored as well.

Member of:
    Hi James,

I know how frustrating it is. I figure we are all here to help each other out.

This month I became a licensed P.I. here in Dallas,TX. For the past 2 years I've attempted to get hired by a local P.I. agency, without luck. I finally decided to go for it and attempt to get my own license. If you have previous experience with a security company, such as being a security officer, you probably can get licensed. I used my experience as a security officer to get my P.I. license. With some security officer positions you do have to conduct investigations. If you write a report as a security officer, then you've conducted an investigation. I worked hotel security, for a university security and contract security, and those qualified as verifiable work experience. I wasn't even working in security or investigations when I applied and was accepted to get my license. My advice is don't get discouraged.

Member of:
    Congratulations, Michael!

Is it true that a law firm, not a PI agency, but a law firm can get you licensed as a PI? If so, would you need experience or just a background check? Any help would great.

James Bone is offline ***
    Licensed Private Investigator

2006 - 2011 Professional Member of:
    I have a brother-in-law that has almost 5 yrs experience, but is not licensed in Texas. I hope i am understanding this correctly since the state's website does not clarify this. If he goes to Austin, takes the managers test and passes, he will then be able to get a license? He is willing to be my manager so I can open my own agency.

Lori Copaus is offline PI Agency Corporation Owner

Member of:

Red face Texas PI licensing

Hi James

Even though he has 5 years exp. he has to be licensed himself is what I understand from the state.

Lori E. Copaus
    P. I. Trainee

answer needed

there is fort worth based company that is licensed pi agency and i happen to know that the insurance co that insures them does not cover bail bond recovery,bounty hunter,bail bond inforcement officer,or what ever you call it but because he wanted cut down on his monthy payment he chose not to cover it but he say that he can recover where or not he insured to do so or not is that legal

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Simmons
    there is fort worth based company that is licensed pi agency and i happen to know that the insurance co that insures them does not cover bail bond recovery,bounty hunter,bail bond inforcement officer,or what ever you call it but because he wanted cut down on his monthy payment he chose not to cover it but he say that he can recover where or not he insured to do so or not is that legal
    I am not sure what you wrote, Eric. You may wish to carefully retype your multiple sentences, use the free spell check, and do a Preview before submitting your post.

But I will try a guess here:

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Simmons
    he chose not to cover it but he say that he can recover where or not he insured to do so or not is that legal
    PI Agencies that have PI only insurance can still locate and report as a PI. They can also make a citizens arrest as a PI. But the majority of their cases should not be bounty or bail enforcement. It is the same as an occasional case that is covered. Adding an insurance rider to cover bounty and bail enforcement is a good idea if substantial work in that area is anticipated.

Is it legal? The question should be if it is coverable under his PI insurance. It appears he has already asked his insurance agent the question or has reviewed his insurance contract.

It may be the same as owning a car and telling the insurance company you have no drivers under the age of 21 that will be driving the car. But that does not mean you can never have a minor drive the car as an occasional driver that does not reside with you. If an occasional driver visits you and uses your car, then he/she is covered because it is considered occasional.

Quote Originally Posted by James Bone
    I have a brother-in-law that has almost 5 yrs experience, but is not licensed in Texas. I hope i am understanding this correctly since the state's website does not clarify this. If he goes to Austin, takes the managers test and passes, he will then be able to get a license? He is willing to be my manager so I can open my own agency.
    James, Level 4 union members have access to the Level 4 forum for obtaining your agency license or manager. This topic is for general statute questions only.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Cross
    Is it true that a law firm, not a PI agency, but a law firm can get you licensed as a PI? If so, would you need experience or just a background check? Any help would great.
    Christian, a law firm can employ you as a private investigator under their law firm license. A PI License is different.

I have a question...I made a call up to the Texas Board about the IPIU. I was told not to sign up because they do not recognize the IPIU. They advised you are not a licensed agency so are not able to license others. It seems you are basically handing out a membership?

Don't get me wrong, I am basically looking at what I am getting into before signing up. I think it is great if we can have a Union for PI's so long you are truly licensing people.

Donna Reagan is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

DHS Certified
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero Rubio
    I have a question...I made a call up to the Texas Board about the IPIU. I was told not to sign up because they do not recognize the IPIU.
    Answer: We need the full name of the person you spoke to at the board, whether it was just a receptionist or someone else. Remember, the PI Board is required by law to follow the Texas statutes and not make personal interpretations of what they think it should be. As a private investigator, your first responsibility is to only work with the facts, including writing down "who" you spoke to.

I was told not to sign up because they do not recognize the IPIU.
    Answer: "whoever" gave you that "personal advice" was both right and wrong. That is why you need to know the first and last name of who you spoke to. If they refuse to give you a last name, you can request a manager or director of the office who is required to give their first and last name. The higher up the chain of command you go will result in someone who will give you their first and last name. If they still refuse, ask for the telephone number of the Governor's Office, who appointed the director of the PI Board. Sound stupid? Yes, of course. Why? Because just a few years ago the Texas director of the PI Board was kicked out because he authored a very stupid policy about mystery shopping, which was against the Texas Law. And the governor removed the policy and replace the director.

As for what the "person" told you, no state official can tell a citizen NOT to join a trade association of private investigators. They can get FIRED for that.

On the other hand, the "person" is correct in that their office does not "recognize IPIU or ANY OTHER association of private investigators".. Why would they? They issue "state licenses" and IPIU only issues "union licenses".

Still, they HAVE to recognize the third-party experience records that are submitted for a PI License by whoever is the 3rd Party, including the IPIU records that are kept for work experience.

They advised you are not a licensed agency so are not able to license others.
    Answer: Who told you that IPIU was a PI Agency? IPIU is the International Private Investigators Union, which is a professional non-labor trade association of private investigators, agencies, law firms, and other professionals. Whatever profession you choose to be, make sure you chose your profession's trade associations for benefits. Lawyers have their trade associations for attorneys, carpenters join their carpenter's association or union, accountants join the CPA association, etc.

It seems you are basically handing out a membership?
    Answer" We never "hand out a union membership". You have to apply if you are interested in becoming a fraternal union member of thousands of other private investigators and agency members. We have a stricter Oath & Code of Ethics than any other association. Even the State of Texas does not have a stricter Oath & Code of Ethics. Our Board of Ethics determines if an applicant is approved for union membership or note. If a union member cancels their membership or if they are banned, we wish they good luck somewhere else. We look at union membership as a lifelong affiliation well beyond the first year. IPIU union membership typically pays $1000 for every $99 invested in union dues. No other union association of privater investigators does that. So protect your union membership at all costs. Reinstatement is hard sometimes if a member leaves.

Don't get me wrong, I am basically looking at what I am getting into before signing up. I think it is great if we can have a Union for PI's so long you are truly licensing people.
    Answer: Licensing is the only reason for being a union member?? I think you should look at the benefits that you may be entitled to that have nothing to do with licensing.

Go here:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6542

And as I wrote, in Texas and in other states - there is no state licensing for unregulated private investigative assignments. Not even the State of Texas can give you a Texas PI License that is good for unregulated assignments. Look at the Exemptions in Post#1 if this topic.

Or, go here:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3558

So if you cannot get a PI License for the exemptions, then how can you get hired by the companies who need people to do the cases that are unregulated? What Photo ID can you provide them that will monitor your professional conduct while performing unregulated assignments? The answer is that those companies honor the union's license (which is not a state license).

Last, if you want to know why you should choose IPIU, call the office at 800-548-1526 and press 0 for an operator to ask for Gary.

Donna Reagan
    DHS Certified

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

Hi Donna:

Please clarify on this. You stated:

"Still, they HAVE to recognize the third-party experience records that are submitted for a PI License by whoever is the 3rd Party, including the IPIU records that are kept for work experience."

Please call the State Board and ask them if the IPIU on the job training is good enough for a person to get a state license. I tried and they said they do not know who the IPIU is so how is your statement true?

I see the great benefits in the IPIU but I also see where people are being misleading to those that are seeking guidance.

Donna Reagan is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

DHS Certified
    Hi Donna:

Please clarify on this. You stated:

"Still, they HAVE to recognize the third-party experience records that are submitted for a PI License by whoever is the 3rd Party, including the IPIU records that are kept for work experience."

Please call the State Board and ask them if the IPIU on the job training is good enough for a person to get a state license. I tried and they said they do not know who the IPIU is so how is your statement true?

I see the great benefits in the IPIU but I also see where people are being misleading to those that are seeking guidance.
    Guerrero, I did not claim that IPIU offers the job training where you would work for IPIU for the necessary experience. IPIU is an "association" of agencies and PI's. The agencies and the PI's and other companies that are members of IPIU offer the work and can certify your assignments. It is the combination of all the agencies that comnprise of the necessary experience rating to get a PI License. Level 4 union members get free help for acquiring their state agenct license or other license in the Level 4 are of this site.

Is that helpful?

Re: PI LICENSING: Texas

I am confused with the Texas laws. Here is what I want and someone please tell me what I need to do and where to go and do it.

I want an "individual Private Investigator's License". This way I can work for 1 or more agencies or pick up cases on my own.

I'm new at all this and would rather have the licensing in my name and not through any Agency. This way I'm in control of my license and not dependent on someone or some company.

TIA

I just got my license in Texas back in August, and the process is slightly confusing. The biggest advice i can give you is to constantly stay in contact with the private security board either by phone or by email. Meaning, if you have a question, no matter how silly you think it might be, ask them about it.

This is what I was told. They told me that in Texas you can't get an "individual license", you have to apply as a company. So you can apply as "Bob's Investigations", and get a license. "Bob's Investigations"
    can be just you by yourself. They require that you go to Austin and take a test over the private security rules. You must also show proof that your "company" has P.I. insurance, although I waited to get that until I knew I passed the test.

Before all of that, you must show proof of experience that adds up to 3 years. I was able to use my experience as a security officer for 10 years, as my proof of 3 years of investigations experience. I had to go to security companies that I worked for in the past to get them to sign a form.

What I ended up doing is going to work for an established investigative company for two reasons. One, I wanted to know for sure that I was going to get paid. Secondly, I intend to use the experience to learn as much as possible, and then in a year or 2 go out and try it on my own. In the meantime I'll keep my "company license" active while I work for someone else. If for some reason I decide I don't like working for this company, I can walk away.

Hope this helps and good luck.

One other thing. Don't try to understand the Texas licensing laws. They were written by lawyers and not meant for us regular folks to understand. Also, if you don't already know this, check out the Texas Private Security Bureau website. It can be confusing, but it's a place to start. Plus all the forms you need to fill out can be downloaded from the website.

Thanks Michael,

I will check out the board. I will be working on my cover letter and modifying my resume this weekend. I've got over 26 years in the IT field, many of that as a Systems Admin and Security Officer. Not sure if that will qualify for the 3 years or not. I will ask them.

Basically, Texas doesn't want independent Private Investigators it seems. They can control a company better than an individual (plus the company usually has to pay corporate taxes).

Again, thanks for the information.

Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year

Glen, if you can show that any of that work experience involved doing investigations, then you should be okay.

You won't have to worry about being taxed. My understanding is that as a sole propriorter, unless you make a substancial amount of money, then you won't be subject to corporate taxes. Also, I think it only applies if you decided to incorporate. You will have to file a DBA with the county you live in and they will explain all that stuff to you.

Good luck and Merry X-mas!

Happy New Year's, all. My question is I want to someday open a private investigation business but currently do not have the 3 years expereince because most firms in the DFW area are looking for people with experience. I am currently working on my bachelor's degree in criminal justice are will be finished a year from now. What are my chances for opening a P.I. business? All answers welcomed. Thank you. Hope I posted this in the right spot.

Robert, I'm sure that you've checked the Texas Private Security Bureau website. If you haven't, you definitely need to do so. Also, although you sound like you really want to be a P.I, I highly suggest you work for someone else first or even see if someone will let you "shadow" them for a couple of days. I know it's hard to get hired and most firms won't be interested in you until you can actually come work for them. When you're ready, I suggest you look at regional or national firms. They are more likely to hire you without experience because they will want to train you on their way of doing things. Local P.I.'s usually are a one man or just a couple of investigators that they use on a "as needed basis."

Hope this helps a little.

I have a question. My brother-in-law has 5 years in investigations but he does not have a state license. He is willing to be my manager, my question is, What does he need to do to be my licensed manager?

He's got to start an investigations company. This means he's got to apply to the Private Security Bureau and comply with all their requirements and pay the fees. He'll have to go to Austin and take the state test. After he gets approved, then he's got to hire you and pay the fees for you as his employee.

I am scheduled to take the managers exam in June. Today, I received a letter from a company offering their manager's test prep course. (for a fee of course)...stating that the failure rate on the manager's exam is extremely high. Has anyone taken the exam? If so, I'd love to hear your opinion. Is is terribly difficult? What would be your recommendation in regards to studying?
    Thanks

I was wandering about insurance companies that would cover you as a PI. You need at least the states minimum required amount of liability personal/property, e&o. Does anyone know of some insurance companies that writes PI insurance? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by James Bone
    I was wandering about insurance companies that would cover you as a PI. You need at least the states minimum required amount of liability personal/property, e&o. Does anyone know of some insurance companies that writes PI insurance? Thanks in advance.
    Go to the Insurance topic in the forum titled Experienced General Discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam McGee
    I am scheduled to take the managers exam in June. Today, I received a letter from a company offering their manager's test prep course. (for a fee of course)...stating that the failure rate on the manager's exam is extremely high. Has anyone taken the exam? If so, I'd love to hear your opinion. Is is terribly difficult? What would be your recommendation in regards to studying?
    Thanks
    Most state exams are heavily based on the Private Detectives Act & Statutes. Know them!

Hello All,
    I am new to this forum, and I am glad to be here. Myself and 2 friends are wanting to get into the Private Investigations/Security/Bail Enforcement field. I have reviewed the Texas requirements and was wanting to know if our experience will qualify for what is needed. We all work for a finance company in the skip tracing dept. I have over 6100 hours invested, friend number 1 had about the same, and friend number 2 has about 4000 hours but was a Federal Security Officer for 3 years from July 2000 - August 2003. Will this meet the requirements to get the ball rolling?

To get your PI license in Texas now, you have to take your 18 hrs continuing ed before you can get your PI license. When I recieved my PI license you had to take your 18 hrs continuing ed during the first 24 months. Things change and we keep on keeping on.

William Brassfield is offline Moderator::
    (On Leave of Absence)

Sr. Distinguished Member:
    Member since 2002

Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah Washburn View Post
    Hello All,
    I am new to this forum, and I am glad to be here.
    Hi Zachariah;
    If you haven't already done so, please post your agreement to the code of ethics. This is located in the forum member's introduction lounge.

Also, while in the lounge, you may want to author your own topic, so we can get to know you better.
    Last edited by William Brassfield; 05-28-2008 at 05:25 PM.

I noticed that most of the posts here are very outdated. I know Texas has changed many of their laws in the past few years. Does anyone have the latest interpretations of the current laws relating to private investigators?

I have purchased my membership package, but would like to learn what my options are with regard to Texas laws.

Thanks,
    Scott

Links to state laws and licensing:
    http://lasvegaspi.wordpress.com/2008...-investigator/

Texas Commission on Private Security
    4930 S. Congress, Suite C-305
    Austin, TX 78745
    P. O. Box 13509
    Austin, TX 78711
    (512) 463-5545
    FAX: (512) 452-2307